Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speaking of meal prep containers, was curious what other people use. plastic or glass? single or multiple layer/compartment?

i use glass, both single and bento-style compartments. it's heavier, but it also gets less grody and i can keep it in it and throw it into an oven or toaster oven (i use a flashxpress) and just heat it in-container. for soups/leftover sauces and stuff it's larger mason jars. i get enough microplastics in my daily life that i probably don't need even more endocrine disruptors, and ime they get gross as hell pretty quickly.

the one downside is that they don't stack as well, and heavier if you're bringing them to your office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

cinci zoo sniper posted:

weight doesn’t phase me, i mostly meal prep for home use. would you, by chance, have a glass bento-style example handy? just curious to see what that looks like

I don't know the exact brand we bought, but it's basically this (and to be clear i'm not endorsing this specific link, but it looks almost exactly like what we have): https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Meal-Prep-Containers-Compartment/dp/B07JKXQFXG/ as a reference, should be a lot of various brands. the most important part is a good lid and the lids i have are not great.

I honestly don't get much use out of the compartmental containers myself, it's good for some things but usually just a big rectangular glass container is better/easier and mix all that poo poo together most of the time. i guess the only trhing I could think of would be doing meditterean meal prep where you have hummus, baba ganoush, etc in different compartments.

if weight isn't an issue, yeah i'd recommend getting a glass set of containers; but probably just single-compartment. they're easier to heat up, versatility in how you heat them up, will last forever if you don't break them, and stay much cleaner without degrading into microplastics

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 2, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PokeJoe posted:

im gonna tell you the secret to solving these problems
the other secret is that all the advice in the world isn't going to make a difference when you're still in the 'teens. it won't get through, it won't go in. you have to take the journey of failure, discovery, and years of reckless wasted life/health and eventually come to the same secrets that people once tried to impart you on. you have to touch the hot stove and get those scars.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bump_fn posted:

lol have to teach this fall to keep my visa
:suicide:

come back to america instead and die on this continent like god intended. it ain't all that bad. for example

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hbag posted:

please don't probe me tonight i know i should be sleeping and i am in bed but i am having the most loving terrifying night of my life and i need people to talk to while i wait for my meds to kick in
goondolences. hows the plex stuff coming along?

i've got an zoom interview tomorrow (for the first time in many years) and i'm an anxious ball of death and want to die. at least i don't need the offer since i already have one, but still i'm loving awful at and hate interviews. my brain is not so good at talk-thinking answers quickly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
c interview s: i loving hate interviews. i felt like i didnt answer the one about how you effectively and respectfully communicate to internal and external technical and administrative staff and how you kept track of budgets and kept projects ontime very well. also meandered too much on other questions

oh well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 14, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ty. i'm just following in the hp hovercraft steps of going public sector.

dat sweet pension money and constant holidays for every single day seems dope. also i work for a super small business of like 2 owners + me + another employee and my boss is like 80 years old so i dont know how what will happen if he dies and better to get my foot into something life-long now.

now as long as i dont whiff the final headhoncho interview it's at least a 2/3rds shot at a position. i really loving hate interviewing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shoeberto posted:

I am also having a hard time finding a movie to put me in the mood for the spooky season. Last year I found the Suspiria remake which was pretty solid. Haven't really had anything grab me this year.

I think I'm just kinda bored of movies, it sucks.

if you want something kid-friendly but very good, Over the Garden Wall is incredible good and very October-vibes

Sleepy Hollow is also a bad-yet-good movie for october icabod vibes.

Trick R' Treat is a mandatory halloween night-after-kids-stop-coming vibe movie, but also good to watch it before halloween if you'd rather.

Then just getting into actual spooky movies there's some new-ish ones the past few years like:
Midsommar
Heridarity
Color out of Space
Mandy

A longer list would be
In The Mouth of Madness (john carpenter ftw)
The Thing (john carpenter ftw)
The Fog (john carpenter ftw)
Pontypool
It Follows
Rec
Session 9
Jacob's Ladder
Rocky Horror
Frighteners
Evil Dead
The Mummy (the good one, not the bad one)
Les Diabolique
Arsenic and Old Lace

also lots of old pre-1970 monster movies are pretty good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 14, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 14, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kitten emergency posted:

thanks goons. it’s been a long time coming, I’m just glad she’s at peace now. she suffered from early onset dementia and it hit her pretty bad - she was confined to a bed for the past 4 years or so and wasn’t capable of speech or communication.

sometimes death can be a blessing
sucks but at least you made peace and don't have that looming over you anymore.

if i'm that far gone i'd rather have been given the ol' human sleepy needle winking out to an insane dose of morphine than live on in an extremely terrified and confused zombie state for however many more years. it's cruel how we treat old age and we really should have a widespread social change to end-of-life options and acceptability. boomers have been the worst about jsut throwing people in homes to rot because they don't want to deal with it

given how much absolutely gently caress-off polluted everything is between massive amounts of radioactive fracking fluid dumped onto streets for deicing, gigatons of edc microplastics in the air/water/food decaying even further every day, agricultural pollutants, and massive amounts of burnt car oil and tire particulates, i think dementia will probably be least of gen-x and beyond's concerns at least. super cancers n organ /cardio failure at ripe old' age of 65 max is likely in the cards for all of us.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

1/3 of a major metro burned yesterday. nothing matters. it is now time to howl at the moon, as our fathers did
hell yeah. howling at the moon owns

anyways happy 2022. hope the increment of dumbness is marginally smaller this year

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont care about meaningful i just dont wanna make some guy in toronto or sf or whatever his 183'th million of dollars while i still cant buy a house
capital involved is probably too high but starting a mondragon-esque tech co-op federation would be pro

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

the despecialized edition, afaict, takes a bunch of sources including the blu ray, upscaled dvd footage, and some stuff from the 4k77 print it tries to create an amalgam that has the sharp look of the blu ray, with the special edition effects mostly removed. its way more intensive of an edit which means there are tons of purists who hate it.
i believe harmy's is mostly laser disk and 2004 dvd release with some from a different 35mm scans (but not 4k77 which came afterwards).

anyways 4k77 was a real treat to watch and very easy to technically-nerd out seeing all the actual lighting sources, camera work, fine details on all model and sets. taylor and lucas really did an amazing job. only downside is some of the Tunisian desert shots are washed out (maybe because the reel was used a lot and aged, who knows) so arguably harmy's does look better there. it's definitely the most film nerdiest one to watch but really looks so good, probably harmy's is 'better' otherwise. the official br looks like poo poo, not even considering the nu special effects, the lighting color re-grading looks real bad that it's almost baffling

now if only 4k80 could come out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 14, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bump_fn posted:

how are you supposed to find delivery places that are good besides just trying all of them

i got indian food and despite spending like half an hour confirming this a real restaurant and not a dark kitchen which is like 80% of the options on delivery websites it was just … ok. disappointing

order a lamb vindaloo, spicy, from every indian place and taste test them all at once. if they don't gently caress it up, they're other food is probably good. if it tastes like dry chewy lamb in tomato sauce, the whole menu is probably bad.