Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
fruit sodas in general i feel like were very popular in the late 80s when i was a smol boi

strawberrry/orange/grape crush, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

grown ups drink fruit beer or cider

i am not generally a fan of these sorts of things. a small taste is fine once in a while but too many of them are wayyyyy too sweet these days. like, just drink vodka and koolaid at that point (drink whatever you want actually but none for me thx)

there are deece ciders finally happening in north america that taste like something besides apple juice, at least

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah that’s pretty much the taste of it.

nothing like few refreshing chugs from a cold jar of pickle juice when you’re feeling dehydrated after an outdoor run on a 💯° day.

ahhhhhhh!

i had a friend was i was like 10 whose grandparents owned a small bar / sysco restaurant. on the real hot summer days we’d sit in the walk in and do shots of pickle juice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

president has a minimum age requirement; how old were you when you became president, we just add that to 35, and

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CPColin posted:

cls: my goddamn oven won't turn on and I have a batch of cookie dough with just the egg and baking soda left to mix in :mad:

this is late but cookie dough freezes extremely well if it comes down to it. if you have a pizza stone and a grill, that often works well for cookies, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if you took a transatlantic flight to get there you have done $3000 of damage to the economy of the year 2100

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol yes i know we all love to think there’s going to be an abrupt transition because of climate change but if there’s one thing capitalism is good at it’s killing people to extract wealth while maintaining a facade of everything being ok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bump_fn posted:

you can’t really take a train from greece to the uk it’s not like going to france or belgium

sounds like you just didn’t try hard enough

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't actually care what you do, there's just a recent paper going around that talks about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

gently caress work foreverrrrr

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

cls: one of my mum's brothers died today, 2 months after being diagnosed with cancer

he was one of my favourite uncles growing up, so today is somewhat challenging

gently caress, sorry, posting fren

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

akadajet posted:

he’d definitely be jacking it to kpop

they should do a storyline on lower decks about the holodeck endagering humanity because birth rates started to plummet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

our gardening this year has been ridiculously successful. tons of okra, peppers, tomatoes of all sorts. some zucchini, loads of basil, shiso, fennel, dill, mint. a lot of peas. okra has been a great success, too; this was our first year with it.

we put in two beds in the front yard too at the start of the year and they have been gangbusters

got at least fifteen pounds of cherries off one tree this year. all the peaches died. gonna get a few quince and at least eight pawpaws though, i think.

squash is not going to be successful. i have hope i’ll get at least one ear of corn, though...

and the naranjilla is blooming so i might get lucky there!

everything was started from seed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Noice.

I made two bigass raised beds not long after I moved in like a year and a half ago but just have never used them :|

I've been doing the cheap thing and filling them with yard debris all year and at a certain point I'll cover that in cardboard then top it off with soil from the local nursery. Slacked off on it all summer though so now I have a massive literal todo pile out back.

yeah i laid out cardboard floor protector that you get on rolls from the despot then filled it with 3-way from a local substrate place. took all day lol so many wheelbarrow loads

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

we didn't need passports in the 90s? i cant say i remember that but i was really only crossing with my parents back then

at land borders you could use a license for a while iirc

one great thing about interior canadian flights is that i rarely have to take off my shoes and basically never go through more than a metal detector

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you can just sign up for the narc precheck list for $80 and fly like it’s 1987

as long as that line is open

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

your next, motherfucker

my next motherfucker?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

man i'm pretty hippyish but loving wash your goddamned jeans you filthy motherfuckers

also honestly going too long can really make them feel gross

gently caress the wirecutter honestly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean do you fuckers not use soap

anyway obviously there is some latitude with jeans but it's the difference between wearing them one day vs every other day for a few days, not one day vs three months or some disgusting poo poo. you're still sloughing all sorts of stuff into your clothes regardless of activity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i started making my own soap and lotion and stuff a few years ago and its been pretty baller

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Cold process or melt and pour?

You're really just gonna softball this one in?

i do cold and hot process so i can decide what properties i want the soap to have and tailor the specific fatty acids involved.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

i use harrys body wash because i like the way they all smell. i use dove+ for men deodorant because i like the way one of those smells.

i use unscented antiperspirant if i am mildly worried about odor versus just being able to shower after exertion. a lot of the mainstream stuff makes me itch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i use old spice deodorant too and the "classic" kind has alcohol in it, maybe for that reason

i personally don't like antiperspirant because it can stain your clothes

yeah, i reserve it for when i'm like going someplace and want some extra coverage. it's not something i use on the regular, generally

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

jalapeños are much thicker-skinned and so can be more effectively pickled, which both cuts the heat and also dramatically changes the flavor. jalapeños escabeche are actually really easy to make, it's about an hour of work for a couple of jars of pickles, which last me months. if you actually eat them raw they're like a more robust green bell pepper except of course much, much hotter

habaneros have a very interesting taste but they're so goddamn hot. i have a jar of the el yucateco xxxtra that is absolutely my favorite hot sauce but i can't use it on anything without regretting it. of course that is also a very spiced-up preparation

we grow a heatless habanero in the garden so we can decide how much we want to use in a recipe in terms of heat vs flavour

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

just buy them at the gas station you dummy. right by the cash register.

beep salts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

from amazon's perspective there are so many better places to put this thing. it makes no sense to me

well maybe not since they picked this one!

either way welcome to ur new next-hour delivery

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hbag posted:

caught up with that tutor
turns out i was right, she was confusing me for someone with a similar name
:negative:

also i asked some guy who was talking about being a dealer if he knew where i could get a 10 bag and got told "nah"
he 100% thinks im a cop lmao

when i was living in montpellier you indicated your desire to buy hash (because nobody sold proper weed) by going down to the oeuf at night and sitting in a some closed cafe chairs and going pspspspspsspsps at people walking buy. this is the dealer mating call you see

anyway i missed rice chat

i am lazy so when i cook rice for my so 99% of the time it’s in the instant pot. five minutes on high. sometimes i use broth instead of water. sometimes i’ll add like turmeric and coconut milk and maybe even pumpkin seeds and dried fruit. all pretty good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

What about some crawhssont?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6919126090162244870

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6931101102293241093

incidentally this dude is hilarious

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

my cs classes were all c++ but this was also in the early aughts.

same time frame but mine were java

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao why do fuckin nerds always brag about how fast they can type

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

follow dan luu

not only does he touch computer he has the good news about figgieland prime

"have fun w your 150k cad canadians we gettin paid 400k usd down here"

depends, i know a few googlers whose total comp is hitting 500k (though in fairness i can't remember if that was usd or cad)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

our house is bigger than we need but as it turns out we just use the extra space as project workshops.

next year i'm gonna tear down the shed and rebuild two smaller ones

Fortaleza posted:

I’m gonna smoke a bunch of salmon with juniper wood and it’s gonna be amazing

hell yea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

periodically i see an suv at the store with like 3 dozen beanie babies shoved up on top of the dashboard at the bottom of the windshield

bump_fn posted:

i cooked rotisserie on my grill w a little sad battery motor and holy poo poo it was so good

i've mentioned before that our big pandemic splurge was a new grill since our last one was dying. it came with a rotisseries and it's baller

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

by straining rice do you mean rinsing or are you all talking about cooking it loose in boiling water

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

expiry dates seem purely random to me anyway.

i've eaten eggs from a carton that expired two months earlier and they were fine

i've eaten cans of beans that expired five years before and they were fine

i've bought milk that went bad a week before the expiry date

i've bought potatoes that had a rotten one in the middle of the bag and the whole thing liquefied immediately

it's all just made up

it's not made up. those dates are guaranteed to be good without noticeable degradation of flavour or unsafe microbial growth or other failures

past those dates there are no guarantees

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cls: managed to stick a paring knife into three fingers this morning lol

Sagebrush posted:

so explain the milk that goes bad a week before the expiration

this doesn’t happen to me however if it’s happening regularly to you it’s indicative of a breakdown in the quality chain somewhere. whether it’s wherever the milking or pasteurization happens, whether it’s getting put into improperly sterilized containers, or maybe there’s a problem with the refrigeration in the delivery trucks or stores where you buy it (or your fridge), or maybe you’re drinking out of the container and backwashing bacteria into it.

typically milk is pretty easy to set expiration dates for since you have a regulated number of cfus allowed per ml and the spoilage bacteria will grow along known exponential curves at given temps.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 27, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I though it was normal for it to go bad a certain time after being opened even if that's before the expiration date, but are you saying that mean there's a problem with the refrigerator temperature or something?

it depends. uht milk has been pasteurized at higher temperatures and kills a larger proportion of bacteria. this is the stuff that can last for months and it will spoil more quickly after opening than its date would indicate but typically this is communicated somewhere on the packaging

standard milk (i.e., non uht) generally lasts until the date though you might have a day or two to either side especially if you’re leaving it out on the counter a lot, say.

normal milk that’s regularly spoiling a week or more before the date would indicate is a sign that something is happening imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

at least it’s not the grease dripping hot n readies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t begrudge anyone who wants to order pizza but i mostly don’t see the point of fast food pizza unless you’re having a bunch of people over and don’t feel like making that many. pizza is easy as poo poo to make at home, especially if your baseline is the fast food chains like doms