Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
on my old calc and stereo i could reverse the polarity by flipping the filter over so I think you don't need to do any 90-degree rotations but i have absolutely no intuition for how light works so maybe this situation is different somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i used to work a mile and a half away from here when i was in grad school :waycool:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh my god who would have thought hbag would be the one poster whose taste in music isn't anathema to me

I saw Black Pus live once and it was so loving cool.

edited to add american version of the first one

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

being stuck in a tiny box with your smug rear end and no escape sounds awful

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

"Software Engineering" was a two-term course in my degree and most students took both during sophomore year. I had a problem with my schedule, so I didn't get around to the second one until senior year. When the professor told us to split into groups and elect a group leader, everybody else in the group (including the 65-year-old) turned to me, the most experienced student, who said, "gently caress no!" and elected the guy who wasn't there that day.

Ultimately, I had to beg the professor to look at my copy of the final project code and not the leader's, because his was out of date and broken and he wasn't responding to my desperate emails.

its both sad and funny that you have been like this your whole life lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i was feeling healthy af once on the way out to a cabin camping trip and ate a couple cloves of garlic, and then proceeded to drink a bunch of beer and then wake up with an ungodly combination of hangover and total digestive system revolt and a huge fever. It was awful.

my corgi never left the bedside because i think he was pretty sure i was going to die

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i would literally feel more comfortable in an open source 2-grognard situation than I do around teslas that veer into pedestrians and jersey barriers at random

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i love listening to data transmissions like that where you can hear when the pixel patterns change, makes me feel so impressed by humans' weirdass audio pattern recognition instincts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

when i went to spain i took a train across the countryside and the headphone jack had access to three different piano jazz stations and it was the best day of my life

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

eschaton posted:

WTF you talking about, BSD sort is in the base system, it’s probably just a hosed up PATH from allowing Homebrew to infest your system

probably. since we're back to this post anyway, i can report that when homebrew finally finished, i still couldn't use sort

this is from pages ago but it actually made me lmao so ty

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

cjs: mfa broke last week when i factory reset my personal phone and i've literally spent three days trying to figure out who can help me. i now have a phone number (currently on hold) for a dept that could theoretically reset it for me but this will be the third internal group i've been in contact with. working for big corporations is insane.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i challenge anyone who likes kpop to rewatch their favorite vid with post nut clarity and still insist they like it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I started doing leetcode and reading cracking the code and about 1 week into all that I realized I just didn't want to do it since it felt like doing work outside of work.

protip: stop doing work at work and this balances out

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

still pretty solid albums, especially their debut. black sunshine is a fav of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPClltS5k8

i never heard white zombie when i was a kid somehow but this sounds exactly like primus with daddy issues 😂

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

a bong is exactly as loud as water on a low boil. we all know you can handle boiling water because you're english and youd starve

lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

when my wife used to "dance" the dj would always play pour some sugar on me for her and it delights me every time we come across it playing in public :xd:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

whats the deal with TPM? this is just a hail mary to stick a unique id on every computer once third party cookies are disallowed, right?

surely OS manufacturers could care less unless they could use it to keep the ad dollars flowing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

eschaton posted:

in all earnestness

making the poo poo that you designed do a thing

and that thing working out exactly as designed, even if it required some debugging to get there

that is a loving incredible feeling

It's a drat shame ee pays so much worse than programming because it really is infinitely more satisfying work

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i love the first like 30 levels of any mmo; there's fun content and nobody is uptight, but then I inevitably remember "rading" and high level grouping and how loving miserable it is to be forced to team up with grown men who whine at anyone who cares/knows less about their videogame than they do

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

protip: a lot of training vids have accessibility features that help a lot for speed-ingesting them: some have transcripts you can read instead of watching a video, and a lot have speed settings in-app

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

counterpoint: no please don’t I don’t want to spend 8h cooking biryani

what does good biryani taste like? i've tried it a few times at indian buffets and it always just seems like chicken buried in rice with apple pie spices for some reason and I don't understand how it had "in the name of the restaurant" status at a lot of indian places. I think every other culture's rice-with-stuff-in-it dishes are better by a very large margin.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

where i live spam is more expensive than regular meat so i never understood why anyone would ever buy it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im glad i never found a laptop because im way too nosy and would be all over that thing trying to find all of their secrets

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the trick with cold weather is to just underdress a little bit (assuming it is not below like 20F of course when you could easily accidentally die) and eventually your body gets used to it

when i lived in a cold place, 50F was tshirt weather and i could easily break a sweat in 40F if I overdressed

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I mean given that he's about to start an english literature undergraduate course !!!!

Have you considered not caring at all what this boy says? Seems like you're giving a useless, boring person an awful lot of power over you

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

the other time they tried to add another kid to the show and failed because of real world reasons was Katey Sagal actually getting pregnant but suffering a stillbirth at 7 months. they retconned an entire season to fix that one

the next time she got pregnant they just wrote her out of the show for nine months to be safe

oofa doofa

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

Payroll is asleep at the wheel so all our timecards look like this and one manager has even started approving them because they're asleep at the wheel too lol

when i worked at a university i accidentally forgot to clock out saturday night and clock in sunday, so my timecard showed like 36 hours and it went through the whole process of multiple people affirming it without issue so i just did that every weekend for the rest of my time there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

in before: even more awkward when i was informed that i was supposed to pee in a jar instead of directly into the fridge

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

god i loved ruby when learning about it but it's in shambles now, eh?

me too! it was my first non-systems language and learning it (and all the stuff about Matz trying to make a language that was pleasant to program in) was really delightful

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh to be clear i was never ever good at Ruby and rails is completely inscrutable to me. it was just nice and fun to learn

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i always just assumed that once i got to CTO of someplace my next move would be to retire. seems like any position at amazon would be a downgrade from being the literal top of the tech org of anywhere

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that used to be my dream too but someone posted that it is actually bad for your feet because new socks have a bunch of hosed up chemicals on them

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah, mine is the same. two or three plans but they're all garbage and don't cover anything. My wife had her appendix out and we're like 50 grand in the hole for it even though we have the best insurance my company offers

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

gws is constantly recommending kenji with a bunch of caveats every time and i don't get why they dont just recommend a good cook??? i guess he must be really famous

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

fear of msg is great because a lot of white people don't realize they're outing themselves as racist when they complain about it, so they don't hide it at all

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what's the word for that asian, i want to say japanese, learning method for kids that emphasizes repetition to achieve mastery? it's at the tip of my tongue

might be thinking of anki?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i have had fresh bagels in nyc and Montreal and i honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. bagels is bagels. it's just a dense af donut, idk why everyone has so many opinions about them

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

sorry i didn't realize i was caught up, i didn't mean for it to seem like i was calling you out specifically for your bagels i just thought it would be fun for everyone to make fun of my bad bagel opinions for a sec

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

People that pick everything bagels are fat little treat boys that ruin the line at coldstone
immediately thought of this guy getting hyphy about treats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i know a few olds at work that hate the "<x is typing>" thing so much they draft things in textedit and just paste it into the channel

i am an old and i hate this but I think most workchats let you turn it off