Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol

Silver Alicorn posted:

I used to drink vodka mixed with mountain dew. I was told this is called a “russian blowjob”

well kak dela-dee-da

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

actually op it's a trilbymatic

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

i just use old takeout & deli meat containers, op.

the local place ended up shifting two times to slightly different shapes and lids but they all store neatly so idk i will use these new ones until the also crack

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:psyduck: why are those not degradable, single use?

that's a good question and frankly i think it was a supply issue last year because they were before covid shut everything down for several months

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kazinsal posted:

if you're going to just make sweeping legislation to outlaw something in the name of environmental preservation you'd want to outlaw coal-fired power plants. you'll do a lot more than by outlawing reusable plastic takeout containers.

outlaw billionaires too while we're at it imo

https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1421876702062448646

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

San Francisco is a toilet

the first time a coworker went there he looked out his hotel room window first thing in the morning and saw a dude making GBS threads in the alcove of a shop door :allears:

rotor posted:

not really, its mostly pretty grey cause its always overcast

tbh i don't mind a cloudy day and cool breezes, but after years of living by various great lakes maybe i'm biased by their weather

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CPColin posted:

Is she seriously named after a Vulcan

the inventor of the model t'pol

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's same difference and it's stupid that people can't dig it

windows does (did?) get finicky about them if you did a shortcut to a folder vs. a symlink, as I found out when I used them to shuffle game and software installs around between drives without reinstalling everything

I mainly used them for some big installs, but it made it handy to off-load something to a slower drive and in a better than default install location without reverifying or redownloading

before steam added install relocation, there was a utility that made symlinks and tracked then after relocation to avoid breaking steam's associations for games but it's handy for all sorts of folder referencing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

i hate math, that's why I make the computer do it for me. to punish it

this summarizes my experience in hs and explains a lot of why i started programming at all

must be an old picture, nobody takes time to read the instructions anymore

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 15, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

please do NOT microdose the "brown acid"

brown rear end->head

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dioxazine posted:

cjs: gently caress poo poo god drat it, it's monday.

https://twitter.com/sianfergs/status/1402161264609140738

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CPColin posted:

Monday meetings never end,
Tuesday's stand-ups I don't attend,
Wednesday, Thursday drag, but then,
It's Friday, time to Scrum

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i wear no shows bc my legs are sexy

same. i like a low sock in summer since I get sweaty feet otherwise and the free leg show is a bonus

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

here's a handy chart

extra low to low is the summer selection for me

quarter to over for winter, depending on the weather and fabric

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i want a cj with a short beard and a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sock

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

he's changing his name
from jimmy to james
he's trading his kb
for statuettes of games

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

3.1415926 is as far as i got but that's good enough for government work

this is correct as per this handy visual guide from http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/index.php?date=031208

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

adding to math chat that a stumbling on math in middle school was compounded by a bad math teacher in hs. somehow pummeling students with admonishment and extra work over not getting it right away led to slipping grades, who knew??

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my hs math teacher singled out artists for extra work like she had an axe to grind with creatives. 'you'll need more math if you're going to be a graphic designer' is the boldest lie I've ever heard. listen lady, Adobe put basic calculation right into all the fields, I don't have to know poo poo to scale my prints

i don't have issue with logic and I can programmatically build complex motion design and animations fine, but abstract math problems are gibberish to me. pushing me to take an optional additional math course was just cruel and she leaned on a lot of student to tack on one more. it resulted in a classroom full of student which reviled the subject, which is a shame

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

but you're using debian

you should say "gently caress this" and then try arch now

might as well tell him to go to slackware after that lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yes slackware is still active, it's just 5 years between releases

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

desktops run windows, laptops run big slur, raspberry pis run raspbian. done

this is my setup and it's the right pile of computers for me

Achmed Jones posted:

tbh sound on linux only became super terrible when it merged with bluetooth. like, i remember some pain getting it to work back in the day, but it was 2002 and i was installing slackware on a dell laptop, that's pretty much on me. it worked fine with redhat and such but i wanted to use slack for some dumbass reason

yeah, my bigger stumbling block in 99 was my realtek nic needed support compiled so I had to find it online them bring it over on a floppy

my little scrap box was a k6 so playing more than an mp3 at once was a lot to ask. it was pretty great to see it all click together though

Achmed Jones posted:

do you know if it'd work with a 4? i'm trying to figure out what to do with mine beyond being an ssh bastion and pihole. everything i care about so far - my fm tx stuff, dmr hotspot - doesn't seem to work with the 4

add a wireguard server so you get that pihole action anywhere

i have a pi zero doing that right now, but I could probably roll all my old pi's into one 4

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

same! i don't remember the specific driver or chipset, but it took me for-fuckin-EVER to get a NIC that i could get to work well under linux back in the day. iirc modules were ok for mine, but it was a chore and half figuring out what module to use

i vividly remember triumphantly playing dj keoki through xmms while the matrix screensaver ran after a long night of loving with linux in high school. i also remember staying up late to get decss and all that working so i could play dvds, popping in Akira, and promptly falling asleep cause it was late.

oh - i have an unraid setup that has a VPN in it. i've never used it or configured it other than installing the package, but it's there. kind of. i've offloaded a lot of pi-ish stuff to unraid docker containers and such

hey let's talk about PCMCIA wireless cards on linux! prism2! kismet! actually nm i'll just slam my dick in the car door to get the same effect ( like most other stuff it was fine-ish if you made sure to buy poo poo that was supported). tbh wlan poo poo on linux is still probably my least favorite thing that i actually sometimes have to mess with

:aaa: i think mine was a rtl something with an 8?? it worked on every other popular distro but I was stubborn. the next release had the module, so a few months later I was good to go in finding and using it but that was a frustrating two weeks of learning everything before then

i feel like my linux wifi first experience was a lot better. by then i was in college and bought an orinoco silver off a friend and those had good support, maybe better than windows support since the client software was a bit of a mess

that thing had a great external antenna that I'd set up in some classes that looked a bit goofy until I was the only one with network access not fighting for a plug. granted my compaq barely skirted 2 hours on battery, but it was the principle of being wireless

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

garbage plates are good and delicious, especially at 1am

no truer words

Share Bear posted:

not pictured: yuengling light

what, not the locally bottled beer sourced from the crystal-watered genesee riv-ahahaha

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

i finished chemistry and faced lots of unemployment and $14/hr jobs that couldn't even service my rent and student debt

then I "learned to code" and now I'm a piggie

i went from design to a ms in it where i crammed in as much hci as possible and have sat comfortably in-between code and design ever since. i can't imagine what I'd be making if i stuck i a print field. maybe shittier websites lol

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Some of the better programmers I know didn't go to school for computer science. 1 was a particle physicist and the other was a biology major who got laid off.

one guy i know did bio med photo work for a few years, he and i even had some odd overlaps and we basically made the same pivot and both did way better than our original fields

AnimeIsTrash posted:

e: At his wedding one of his friends found out I was a lefty and tried to debate me about the free market.

i just cut cakes with my right hand to avoid these situations

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

this is the advice I've been giving my son. Being a programmer isnt gonna be the best job, but being a $ANY_OTHER_CAREER that knows how to write code is gonna be a huge deal. I pitch it more as a "career multiplier."

it's good advice! the early part of my career was driven by being able to translate creative to technical either myself or to other teams and that led to a lot of interesting work. after that I could skill-up as I went and pick a path, but either way I have complimentary skills

edit: to add, i also worked with a ux/interaction designer that was a nurse a few year before. there's a lot of flexibility out there

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 27, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

they should do a storyline on lower decks about the holodeck endagering humanity because birth rates started to plummet

it'd be good fodder considering how it's implied various crew get off in there in all the other shows. futurama teased with the idea in i dated a robot but holodecks seem like they could go so it with minimal retread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrrADTN-dvg

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/alikchi_/status/1194756420975104000

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Video Nasty posted:

There was also a mango\jabeñero cider and it was loving mindblowing.

i had a three-heat nitro(?) stout from a local brewery a few years ago that was like a very good atomic no-bake. i missed their bottling weekend and i don't think they did it to-go since, and it was a partnership with some local homebrewers that had been tinkering with the recipe for a few years so it isn't in their normal rotation

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

fixed my landlord's ceiling lamp. (the bulb contacts were just corroded). that guy sprays WD-40 on everything as his first attempt at fixing anything and when i turned the light on it started burning off and smoking.

wait, that's not what they mean by FIRE?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have the same about english, since for americans a trip abroad means idaho and so they fall over at the faintest accent, whereas britons have to deal with a serbian barista who got naturalised in rural scotland

america can have some terribly convoluted accents internally, but yeah, most aren't by way of a second language

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KidDynamite posted:

You could wear a mask and hang out and not drink wine. very simple.

surprised we haven't seen straw ports like the flu pandemic's smoker ones. the article goes on to tell you to stick a cork in it lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

as everyone said it's easier to not be an rear end in a top hat, but for any largish meetings it helps having a headset with a local mute as well to at least not interrupt accidentally if mute doesn't work correctly that time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

it wasnt a financial thing he just didnt want to get tags and could afford it

that reminded me of this supposed bit of lore, which is believable because steve was a mega rear end in a top hat and did part in handicap spots all the time

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Handicapped.txt

folklore.org posted:

[…]the story is that one day Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassee, who had recently transferred to Cupertino from Paris, had just parked his car and was walking toward the entrance of the main office at Apple when Steve buzzed by him in his silver Mercedes and pulled into the handicapped space near the front of the building.

As Steve walked brusquely past him, Jean-Louis was heard to declare, to no one in particular - "Oh, I never realized that those spaces were for the emotionally handicapped...".

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

quote != edit

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Video Nasty posted:

"All of my cool friends are in FYAD" I repeat to myself alone for the fiftieth time as another probe button is pushed against me by a crusty neckbeard.

'kitty jail isn't real' i assure myself as i go to fyad again

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

frags looks super old now

the last time i think i heard him speak was him doing a parody of lowtax ranting about the forums are only here because him. seems fitting

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

it sounds like he ODd on pills and booze

he got pretty loopy in those last few livestreams, which was sad/alarming so that sounds likely

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'd give up 100 lowtaxes to get back some of the good goons we've lost

forums poster laslow, early days and occasionally yosposter, passed from cancer a few months back both suddenly and in a way that was goldmined (rip laslow, hopefully those last months were easy on you)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

uh oh, what if they suddenly like lowtax again?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

hey quiggy glad you’re doing well

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mr. Nice! posted:

can i get this in amber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pile Of Garbage posted:

cls: moving my massive pile of media from block to file storage and finally setup Plex, already got half my direct family up on it, feels good :3

nice! I setup plex last year and digitized all my movies and shows. it was well worth the effort and now I have a nice handbrake profile for any new or missed discs