Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

anytime a European starts getting uppity just say something positive about the roma. theyíll forget whatever they were going on about (trains or walkable cities, probably) and start ranting about how terrible the roma are. all this accomplishes is making the European feel bad, which is good because Europeans should feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

roma culture is uniquely vibrant and should be celebrated in every country with a significant roma population

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

ok fine, here you go:

{⎕←1 0⍕c+○○h⋄10=+/,h:1⋄m⌷⍨i←⎕:0⋄∇{~⍵⌷h:0⋄(⍵⌷h)←0⋄0=⍵⌷c:∇®(,⍳⍴m)∩⍵∘+®,2-⍳3 3⋄0}i}h←=⍨c←{⍉3+/0,⍵,0}⍣2⊢m←8 8⍴10≥?⍨64

look at what APL programmers have typed with all the keyboards we made for them

DECADES of gibberish and yet NO REAL WORLD USE found for array operators

STOP PROCESSING VECTORS

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the cto did springboard off to amazon, too. lol!

well I wouldnít want to work at a company with such a dumpster fire of a backend, canít say I blame him

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

best thing about visiting San francisco is the certain knowledge that you get to leave. second best thing is leaving. third best thing is the time you spend asleep in San Francisco. those are all the good things about visiting San Francisco

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most of the places away from skid row, the tenderloin are good

the trouble is that the tenderloin is right at the heart of the city and directly at the tourist zones lol

i disagree. the entire bay area is repulsive to me. maybe there are better parts and worse parts but anyone who can see any part of that entire blighted city and think "yes this is a reasonable place for me to live" is very, very unlike me

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

I hate steam so assuming that Pittsburgh was mostly steam I can't disagree with that decision. Probably most people want central air now too, though.

If I bought a house with hot water I would probably just leave it and install mini-splits personally.

I stated at a place in NYC once where it was like someone hitting a pipe with a hammer right next to my ear and it woke me up every 20 minutes all night. It was a completely miserable experience.

I have lived in other places where it wasn't that bad though.

my house has hot water radiators with a high efficiency boiler and they make noise maybe once a week. works great. idk if i'd say it's better than central air but this is a beautiful old house that i'm not going to gently caress up with ducting for little benefit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cjs 4 day work week is official no more Friday meetings for me

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I have ďgigabitĒ thatís like 850/10 in speed tests lmao

still beats the poo poo out of the 25/5 I had in WV

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll never 'retire' but this is my last tech job, and after this i am going to turn into the random ham radio ranting mountain man that also does odd welding jobs that everybody on the internet visualizes me as

Iím guessing you have two wood stoves. one for the house and one for the pole barn workshop/garage

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

cjs: Boss asked me to write up an ADR. I feel like I can start expanding into more of a senior role, now that we have another person joining staff and I've had a good few months to get familiar. And I feel there's a need for me to do this now that $boss is trying to be more hands off and is (afaict?) subtly nudging me in this direction

Are there some good books / recommended reading with getting more familiar and confident with that sort of role?

The social side of it is mostly fine, we are a pretty flat workspace, I'm more concerned around:

- getting more comfortable with writing up specs, seeing corner cases. hoping for something more specific on this than the usual middle managery stuff

- getting more comfortable with MVC systems and typical architectures for them (preferably something that isn't steeped in mvc buzzwordy bullshit)

- getting more able to voice how i feel a system should be designed rather than just going with the flow

I've (finally) started reading through The Design Of Everyday Things, I've skimmed the first part of Notes On The Synthesis of Form. I'm wondering about taking a look at The Manager's Path to see what I can glean from it. Any other suggestions? Maybe something I wouldn't have thought of?

definitely https://staffeng.com/book
maybe https://www.manning.com/books/bdd-in-action
maybe https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Systems-Donella-H-Meadows/dp/1603580557
everyone should read https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMANTICS-SYSTEMS-BIBLE-John-Gall-ebook/dp/B00AK1BIDM

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

Yeah I already have that under my belt. that does not really help with high level views of systems architecture, requirements analysis, high level design considerations, and object orientated programming :eng99:

How I want to design this system in a unixy way would just be a distraction from what rails wants to do, and what the system demands are, I think. But it is difficult to see what the more natural ways of approaching this are.

Will check that out :)

Yeah, so something I have identified as a deficiency currently is that I am bad at meta level thinking. It's something I want to look and get better at. Like for this ADR I can see maybe three different approaches for it, but preferentially I would leave it up to someone else to select which one because I have simultaneously low confidence in my own ability, and also a difficulty seeing past my own nose when I get actually stuck in to coding. The ideal solution would either be, in C, a struct with an integer and a union type that allows it to act as either struct A or struct B, or in FP land, a typedef that can either be type A or type B (maybe seeing those as record types). Instead I'm stuck with this "let's put half of our logic implicitly into the structure of the database" MVC weirdness and I'm trying to figure out the best path forward. So I guess what I'm specifically looking for are books that will a) help me develop that meta-level systems-design thinking. b) help me better reason about this weird way Rails does stuff (that I extremely hate and can see a ton of deficiencies and giant spike pits with, lol), and hopefully avoid some pitfalls people have fallen into before me

I guess maybe I need to just go back to the c2 wiki and read it with the mind of an elder rather than a young spotty nosed teenager. maybe.

i think maybe you have me on ignore because what youre asking for is what i posted. but ill try again

definitely https://staffeng.com/book
maybe https://www.manning.com/books/bdd-in-action
maybe https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Systems-Donella-H-Meadows/dp/1603580557
everyone should read https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMANTICS-SYSTEMS-BIBLE-John-Gall-ebook/dp/B00AK1BIDM

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

helo ive literally never seen your avatar in this thread before. poo poo. i literally do not have anyone on ignore lol afaik. These look pretty cool af and ill dig into them, thank you!!!

:tipshat:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

A friend of mine felt like he didn't have enough to put on his resume after college so he put down he managed a small team in college, and wrote a short blurb about how he would coordinate activities and stuff like that.

He was talking about how we would play dota 2 in college and he would constantly need to tell people what to do, where to go, etc when we played competitively. He said his first job was very impressed when he talked about it at the interview.

if someone was actually able to lead a Dota team successfully and deal with gamelord bullshit, talk down tilted assholes, help their players figure out how to improveÖlike yeah what do you think management is

or do you mean he was screaming at people in vc and calling it leadership because if so lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

korea has robust and effective and close-to-free public health and the highest suicide rate in the world most years

imagine how much worse the suicide rate would be if all that plus the cancer patients didnít get treated

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a few friends in therapy and it seems like even theyre running out of helpful things to say these days. not making GBS threads on it as a whole but theres only so much think-about-the-good-things-in-your-life one can advise ityool 2022

i think there is only so much therapy can help if the problem is that your life sucks. therapy is great for me because my brain is a dumpster fire and i need help putting it out. but one nice consequence of spending 20 years depressed, anxious, and self-isolating is that pandemic times arent challenging. if i improve my social anxiety and start meeting people over zoom, thats a straight increase in quality of life. not like someone who was used to having a social life this whole time and now they get to not do that anymore

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ime the #1 thing Iíve seen stop people benefiting from therapy is being unwilling to do the work. therapy doesnít fix poo poo. at best a therapist can suggest ways to fix yourself. itís a lot of hard work and at the end of the process youíre a different person with a different life. the people I have seen succeed with therapy didnít start because they were unhappy, they started because their life was. not. working. if youíre betting your life that you can fix yourself faster than the brain worms convince you to take a long walk off a short pier, thatís motivational

ymmv ofc but that is my perspective on what it takes for therapy to be effective

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Ya know, I can't help but to flash back to a million times of being told I was lazy because my disease wouldn't get better, because I didn't put in the work.

Of course, I put in the work, it just didn't do anything because the problem was always physical damage that needed to be resolved first.

My life still doesn't work, but now therapy has been declared a bad idea by three psychiatrists, so there's that.

yeah thatís the other thing if your problem is organic or environmental then whatís therapy gonna do?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

post hole digger posted:

cls beautiful day outside today. i was up until 1 am last night fighting with a vpn and saml issue, only to discover our vpn vendor hates saml and also me personally.

are you using globalprotect

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lmao nailed it. condolences

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

post hole digger posted:

ya :rip: lol. have to deal with this yourself in the past?

yup we got almost all the way through a poc and then I discovered the linux client just doesnít do SAML. at all. welp thatís two weeks lost

on the bright side we only lost two weeks, which is a lot less than weíd have lost as customers

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

c friday status: no work on Monday Iím having a good time just remembering that every five minutes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Eeyo posted:

at my lab thereís a bank of vacuum gate valves controlled by a power strip with switches for each outlet. the power strip was labeled with big numbers 1 through 8 and the valves are numbered V1, V2 etc. but like V4 is plugged into slot #6 or whatever so i have to try to read the tiny labels on the power cord to figure out which is which.

weíre just begging for someone at some point to pop the wrong valve and destroy our vacuum pumps.

have you considered fixing this

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

This is where we come to complain about tech, not to fix it. you fool, you imbecile :eng99:

alright fair thats a good point. i retract my previous comment and replace it with make sure to get video when the fng messes with the power strip the first time

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's a lot of commotion for something ive clearly labelled as a luxury being of use for me at the life-threatening extra $6.85 per month over something more ordinary

that's $6.85 you could have spent on hentai

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whatís my diagnosis, im a biathlon and curling viewer passably fluent in hockey for social reasons

you preorder imperial stouts and wear flannel at every opportunity

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

does anyone else ever worry that hbag will go off the deep end at some point and like start kidnapping and murdering people to make case mods from their bones. posting in yospos under the age of 30 is a sign of serious mental instability imo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if only maven had some sort of extension or plugin mechanism that could be used to add behaviors to the build system. alas, it does not. it is impossible to do anything with maven that the original authors did not explicitly program it to do

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

putting an XML barrier between the build spec and the plugins is supposed to encourage "good practice," but instead it makes good practice so burdensome that devs with a deadline will just throw in antrun or gmaven

Iím not sure what your point is here. youíre not interested in taking the time to do something properly, so the people who made it possible to do it properly are wrong?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

the Boss is the one not interested in taking the time, or in hearing about some tool's "opinions"

sounds like youíre really mad at your absent father

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I like gradle but itís more like a build system framework than something you can just use to create artifacts

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

As far as I can tell my sewer does not have a cleanout, my main sewer line is also like 20 feet from the street hookup because there aren't big setbacks here.

Every time a delivery van goes by, my Ring cam goes off because apparently they're set up to go off for delivery vans now and the people who write Ring's software can't comprehend a situation where your camera may see a van that's not making a delivery at your house.

well thats one way to deal with people publishing videos of your drivers faking deliveries, i guess

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

body dysmorphia isn't just for ladies

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

honestly? I'd like to see more jumpsuits.

i personally favor overalls but jumpsuits are also a v good choice for when you've got some manual labor to do

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

a while ago I bought a flight suit as retail therapy and i really liked it then i washed it and it shrunk up :-(

rip. who sells clothes nowadays that aren't pre-shrunk? unless you're a fancy lad and want shrink-to-fit jeans

i hosed up a sweater once and the internet told me to stretch it out while wet. it kinda worked even. the sweater is wearable again at least. still not the same

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i could probably lose a chunk of weight if i cut out alcohol, but i'm not terribly inclined to cut out more things i like from my life when i haven't seen my friends for about four weeks and probably won't see them for another few weeks at minimum

get some friends you don't like and then you can cut them out of your life guilt free

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cjs i am super tired of trying to be manager, tech lead, and product manager all at the same time. my boss gets it and it sounds like i won't have to wear all these hats for too much longer but still. i'm ready to have one job again

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

op february is not gonna be your month for just about anything. if you can poop all the way in the toilet and also wipe your butt successfully for the next month you're doin good. holy poo poo you got a lot to deal with

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if unused credit counts as savings i have about a years worth lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sunrise should be fixed at 6:00 am local time and the rest of the clock moves around to accommodate that