Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they’ve been giving it away for free for at least five years following win10 release, including poo poo like upgrading pirated cd keys into legitimate licences for the sake of pure “500 million devices run windows” wankery. its relatively surprising to hear of someone using a windows pc (which i assume you don’t, to be clear) and having licensing woes these years

my favourite form of windows distribution is cjs selling OEM keys on ebay for a fraction of the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

The_Franz posted:

don't those eventually get deactivated?

surprisingly not

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

also, now that windows is pivoting to the google model of ad/data-hoovering platform-first, brace yourself for windows 11 to be "free"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

matti posted:

guy whose posts seep depression: "i am fine"

hello

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: previous team that owned this service hosed up the production deploy stuff more royally than I've ever seen. Been doing nothing but hotfix patches directly to master for months while not-released-yet work sits in the staging branch without getting merged. Now I have a deploy full of months worth of work, with bizarre conflics, and includes work that needs to be backed out but nobody knows which.

I'm loving livid and these disgustingly negligent dipshits are going to feel it. I'll have that shithead team lead's head on a loving platter I swear to god

i'm feeling the same about the fact that tomorrow morning i have to start teaching our testing team how to reliably and meaningfully test features after over a year of being in production.

we were supposed to deploy a bunch of fixes to prod this afternoon in spite of vendor fuckups, but at the last minute testing fell over their own rear end and now it's our problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

cjs: brand new project manager just quit with no notice. he was supposed to take over organizing the project I'm the tech lead on because the previous PM is taking a six month LOA starting next monday. the previous tech lead quit a month and a half ago, the previous architect is leaving at the end of the month, the tech lead we were intending to hire to take over so I wouldn't have to do more than just the first phase (I'm not even technically on the project delivery team) took a better offer, and the customer gets cold feet every time there's a staffing change and has to be reassured by someone doing their best baghdad bob

this project is loving dead lmao

chase that pay bump before somebody puts a bullet in it