Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

flakeloaf posted:

cjs: working from home but don't wanna poop at home? go to someone else's work and poop there

the story of how i talked a mcdonalds into installing bidets

how I traded one toilet role upwards to a bidet and eventually a full-on japanese automatic washing toilet that has Alexa AND Google Maps functionality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rotor posted:

I got asked to implement single-lookahead regexes just using string tools and i had 45 minutes to do it. In short, gently caress google.

This feels like a test that prioritises people with immediate recall and photographic memory over people who are good at solving problems and you know, doing programmery stuff

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah like

If you were going to write one you wouldn't write one that had lovely string parsing, you'd either use combinators or dig out a few dozen papers from pike and ritchie describing the proven optimal approach to doing it and base off that, and that'd be like a day or two's work

Because there's no reason to reimplement this poo poo other than "I have Extremely specific design constraints and it involves making it as fast as possible so im tokenizing using SIMD and vector instructions blah blah blah"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

i worked for a guy that asked poo poo like "if you could have any super power what would it be?" and then screened out people that said invisibility because he assumed they would prob be creeps lol

we regularly have to sort through 1000+ resumes for analyst and dev positions we leave posted for a week or so at most

:lol:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

i havent been able to cry in years despite really very much wanting to
crying is cathartic as gently caress and it sucks that i cant

suggestion: find a local trans femme friend who accepts u and can help u build a small safe space to cry in

worked for me, i couldn't cry at all before that point and it really helped

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

stark had hyperintelligence not just money

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

also id want perfect errorless replication of my cells with no breakdown from whatever the gently caress causes aging

so i can annoy people in 200 years with questions like "what the gently caress is a quantiax"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

okok fine i want to program the unive-ahahaaha no gently caress that i dont want to find out the lovely intern that made this universe has hard coded conversion rates

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Batman is the world's greatest detective.

wrong

Columbo is the worlds greatest detective

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

hey we might get a supervolcano eruption that temporarily reduces global temps by half a degree :v:

Yeah but then we have to pay for air filters

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

matrix premiered 22 years ago, people born after it can buy beer in the states

jesus christ

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

kids born after 9/11 can buy alcohol in every country with coherent liquor laws

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

i was born after 9/11 and am a legal adult

Yeah it seriously terrifies me, even though I'm young enough that it's one of my earliest memories lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

flakeloaf posted:

cjs: briefly debated delaying this update until september so i don't have to figure out how to type u-circumflex on a keyboard with no numpad

compose key

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ah yes, footings

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

lain is pretty good

Lain is good but literally anyone who makes that show into an identity is incredibly suspect.

case in point: the lainchan irc was just non stop racism and slurs.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

this isnt the images thread but god when isn't this a Big loving Mood:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

haha yeah what kinda creeps would sit in there haha

i only look in there occasionally but i havent seen much poo poo like that
i could be wrong though

maybe someone else took over then. I probably still have megabytes of the irc logs there from my bouncer and there was just no worth to the space whatsoever. like redirecting urandom to your eyeballs (which actually is fun and cool and Totally Legal(tm))

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

c s: watching the sunrise and wishing id paid more attention to the intel manuals ._.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

The ban on anime is like an umbrella.

now i have that lovely pop song in my head, thanks @_@

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

behold my new plasma theme

no anime posting pls

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

what are good hobbies to pick up. I wanna do more than just browsing the internet but every time I open up emacs my brain fries itself in it's own juices

edit: Preferably something that doesn't need me to go outside because I live on a really fuckin steep hill and it is constantly raining. fuk that

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"i havent paid attention to rap since the clinton administration", basically, lol

Tbf Native Tongues are still some of the best rappers I've heard. BDP was right about gangster rap

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

make music op

This is a good idea but one of two things happen when i sit down in front of a vst:
- it's too complex and overwhelming so i fiddle about a bit before closing it
- I have a tune in my head but by the time i figure out the baseline, it's degraded and i can't remember it

I don't really know how to break into it because you need to know the tools to gently caress about properly, and the "knowing the tools" part seems to be 45° incline : ohdear:

honestly that seems cool as poo poo, how do you get into it, i thought you needed a license to use an sdr?

prefect posted:

tai chi seems like a cool hobby

i learned it a long time ago but i dont remember any of the forms so I end up doing this really weird version of it lol. i should get a good book or an app or something probably

PokeJoe posted:

make art. try wood cut printing, its nice and not on the computer. and it doesn't take up that much space, i keep all the poo poo for it in a plastic toolbox.

:eyepop:

Those are cool as hell and I already have ideas of things to do. Plus my dad has this small shed packed with lutherie equipment so the tools are already a short walk away

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

carry on then posted:

u already doing the best hobby, op

posting

thats cool but the word posting is a synonym for making GBS threads and that doesn't seem like a hobby imo

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

right now i found a way to make a stackless, branchless lisp parser so my computery focused stuff is learning sizecoding so i can fit it all into a bootloader, which is making me wish id actually bothered to learn assembler rather than copying and pasting snippets of other people's assembler back when i was a wee lass noodling about

PokeJoe posted:

thanks. i did a set of 6 and hung them in my kitchen

now im thinking of radical woodcuts printed onto stickers with a waterproof ink,, sounds hella cool

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we should just all ship a medium size arsenal to hbag. just ar15s on every surface

trans rights militia when

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

one of my (also trans) friends builds their own guns
so they have 1 registered gun and then a shitload of (legally) unregistered guns that they built themself

probably not a great idea to admit this on a forum that is archived into the library of congress

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

i literally said in my post that they are legally unregistered
they are allowed to have them
the government is well aware of them

misread it but that's p cool

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

prefect posted:

i think they stopped doing that years ago

https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

They have from 2002 to 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it says it goes to 2021

Yeah but the captures viewable on my mobile browser only go to 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

well it works great but for some reason the onboard speakers of the turntable wont shut the gently caress up even when ive dialed them down to 0
theyre very quiet but you can still hear the high end
which isnt going to wake anyone up but god is it annoying

that just makes it surround sound

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

it's really more about the idea that forcing kids to speedrun math and punishing them for not learning rote memorization as fast as their peers is real fuckin lovely and frankly a bit abusive

I spent way too many recesses in third grade inside working on math problems because my brain didn't work the same way as others' did and the teacher made me think it was my own drat fault for not caring

gently caress you mrs. tripp. worst goddamn teacher I ever had

Yeah my maths teacher in Primary didn't want me using the method that I could understand, because he couldn't understand it, and as a result his being a constant loving rear end in a top hat to me stressed me out so bad my brain literally wouldn't let me add up until I was 14 and started working on it. It still kills me that I could have gone into math or something because the higher level stuff i can get intuitively, until it rests on a concept I'm still too stressed about to understand like... trigonometry... :negative:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sniep posted:

but you're using debian

you should say "gently caress this" and then try arch now

Arch was easier to install and worked out od the box once I grabbed a few packages. Also it was stable for 7+ years last I tried it

So unironically yes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The Fool posted:

I bought a book for suse which had a dozen ish cd’s in the back at Walden books

Yeah there was this book from the library that had red hat linux with gnome 2 and kde 3 or something like that and it rocked. gnome two was amazing and i still prefer it over even MATE because gnones default 50 inch borders suck rear end

edit: hbags dad, when the pillow fort fell

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

for whatever reason i really dont like noodles when theyre actually prepared but i will 100% just eat the uncooked block from the pack with the seasoning sprinkled in
maybe its the texture of wet noodles? idfk

cut them and ur bread with a polystyrene knife for that very appealing toast squeak

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

I like working on tooling to make life easier for my teammates, like I'm doing now! Sure it's still work but I find it rewarding

Wait you can get that as a job?!?!?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rotor posted:

no, we're saying dont feel pressured to find a passion to follow. A job is for making money, not for finding personal fulfillment.

we're also saying that you will likely grow to dislike what you do as a job, esp if you do it for a long time. Maybe that's important, maybe its not.

Joke's on you, so many tech people* have used their income as seed money to run a bar

* - the only one I can think of right now is jwz

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

how can i have "more" therapy im already in therapy and they just say "yeah youre doing good" and ask me if i want to increase or lower my dose

If your therapist thinks you are doing good, and you are not, in fact, actually doing good. Then that's misreporting of what you're going through or a supremely lovely therapist.

Best bet is to make a chart for each week and when you feel like utter poo poo mark it in the chart (plus maybe note if it's like, ideation, anhedonia, etc.), and then just hand the chart to ur therapist

Either that or your meds take a while to kick in, or you have other undiagnosed problems

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

when do i write on the chart
it just so happens i have more than 1 emotion per day

u have columns be days and the rows be times. Then you mark a symbol / colour for the mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

and before you go "but when I up my dosage I feel dead inside" I can confirm that it sucks less to feel kinda deadened than it is to be a NEET and feel like a failure all the time

If you are dead inside please discuss that with your clinician/psychologist, because antidepressants are not supposed to make you feel like that