Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

a dry alcoholic cider is good.

i also tend to get this stuff when i see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb46bQp-5Jg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

my favourite form of windows distribution is cjs selling OEM keys on ebay for a fraction of the price

don't those eventually get deactivated?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

apparently the uk stopped issuing ID cards 10 years ago (wtf why?)

gov.uk posted:

Identity cards were scrapped in 2011 - they’re no longer valid and you can’t use them as proof of identify.

You don’t have to return your identity card. You should destroy it or keep it in a safe place.

The fee you paid won’t be refunded.

The government securely destroyed the personal details of everyone who had an identity card.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 3, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lol the uk actually privatized the ID card industry

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

on one hand he's a lunatic crackhead who thinks jesus is going to come down from heaven and crown trump eternal god king of america any day now, but on the other he tricked an enormous number of brainwashed cable news addicts into paying $100 for a pillow filled with scrap foam that companies probably paid them to haul away, which is pretty funny

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rip the beast
tasted the same going down and coming up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

gently caress all y'all

≋a≋m≋b≋e≋r≋p≋o≋s≋

piss-pos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

oh good, a telemarketer has been spoofing my phone number and over the last two days i've gotten multiple voicemails and texts from confused old people telling me they're not interested, take me off the list, "i don't know what you're selling, but i don't want it", etc...

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

actually they're important to the very wealthy so everyone else in the country has to pretend to be interested too.

tying the retirement funds of the american population to the stock market was a brilliant move on the part of the banking industry. number must go up or there will be a lot of destitute retirees

looking at the last year or so, everyone knows that something has to give as this isn't real or sustainable, but number just keeps going up to new all time highs multiple times a week

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 6, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

anime is banned in yospos

you do not want anime not banned in yospos

exactly. once you start letting a little anime slide, it's only a matter of time before people start 'ironically' posting creepy magic schoolgirl pantsu stuff

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hbag posted:

yeah well every morning i wake up and remember i live in england

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b538ndRV9Do

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

what’s the correct colour for yospos

ambyr

jk it's grün

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Just saw a student with huge boobs wearing the MEGA MILK shirt. Good for her

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

as I understand it this is still not anywhere near a guarantee that any sort of health emergency won't bankrupt you

if you are hit by a car, you had better hope that the nearest hospital is in-network

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah we know exactly who planned and executed 9/11 - a bunch of rich saudis with the explicit support of the royal family.

saudi arabia is the primary exporter of wahhabism, which is that super-hardcore allahu akbar, eye-for-an-eye death to the infidels sect of islam that isil/isis is an offshoot of. even groups like al-qaeda and the taliban think it's extremist

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

remember in the pre-9/11 days when you could board a plane without having nude photos taken of you and/or being molested, and americans and canadians could come and go across the border without passports? pepperidge farm remembers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

don't worry, those 19-year-old national guardsmen they stationed in airports with unloaded rifles will stop future terrorists. at least once they stop running up and down the escalators playing tag and almost knocking old ladies over

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

at land borders you could use a license for a while iirc

one great thing about interior canadian flights is that i rarely have to take off my shoes and basically never go through more than a metal detector

interior eu flights are the same. they still have bullshit like the liquid restrictions though

the last time my brother flew anywhere, there was a family in front of him going through security with a large foil pan of fried chicken, which is apparently allowed. they then proceeded to eat it during the entirety of the short flight, probably as an end-run around the "you must wear your mask unless you are eating or drinking" rule. it's just amazing that you can take entire trays of food through security, but a full-size bottle of contact lens cleaner is not allowed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

as long as that line is open

and you can make it to the interview. the closest place to do it here is a 90 minute drive each way and interviews are only conducted from 11:00-14:30 tuesday though thursday

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

heres my favorite norm macdonald thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0WayC7jW0

that interview is quite literally the only reason why anyone remembers that movie. people were trading a tiny realmedia version of this in high school via dialup and burned cds

he was fired from snl because he wouldn't stop ripping on oj. that's dedication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SSVIg4Noqc

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

norm woke up that day and ended that womans career

well she did leave melrose place to do a movie with carrot top

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

dollar general is not The $1 Store though. It's the place where you go to buy ten styrofoam plates for $1.15 because you can't buy the 50 pack for $1.99 at the real grocery. They are terrible, exploitative businesses that cloak their ripoffs in "low prices" but you are almost never getting a good deal.

they're also generally the only option in places so backwater and abandoned that even walmart has closed down

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

speaking of appliances, my water heater decided to dump it's entire contents onto the floor a couple of hours ago. it looks like it breached around the temperature probe as the water was pouring out of the control housing. i know what i'm doing tomorrow

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My water heater broke a couple of months ago and it sucked. It was legitimately one of the times i've been super glad to live on the basement floor of an apartment. If I lived in a condo or a house the damage would have been lol.

it's in the basement so it just went down the drain, thus no damage, but this is just going to be a pain tomorrow. this is the first time in my life that i've had a water heater catastrophically fail, usually it just develops a minor leak or some other issue where there's no hurry to replace it. i'm slowly redoing the main bathroom here and just finished the plumbing, so i have plenty of mapp gas and all of the plumbing tools ready to go though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my name is elon musk
I am 50 years old
I am thrice divorced
and I live in a cybertruck down by the river

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

water heater replacement completed. for once i didn't forget to put the nuts for the dielectrics on the pipes before soldering the brass sleeves on and have to desolder everything and do it all over again :toot:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i still don’t understand the bidet pun :argh:

g'day mate :australia:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Ohio ... zero booze restrictions

i've been in a state liquor store in ohio and the costco i was in there didn't stock hard liquor, so there are not zero restrictions

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

popcorn ceilings used asbestos back in the day

"back in the day" in this case being until the mid-80s or so. the official ban year was 1978, but it took years for existing product pipelines to empty out

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

and you just KNOW there were guys saying "government banned the good poo poo, but MY house got some old supply :smug:"

the same people who stockpiled leaded plumbing solder

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

even if your old floors are wood or tiles that come up whole without a fight, you still need to be cautious as back then even the adhesives used to install things had asbestos in them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

Mercurial has a very positive reputation but nobody actually uses it.

it seemed ok from what little i've used it years ago, but git won and is basically integrated into everything at this point, so it's irrelevant

perforce was probably great 20+ years ago when your choices were cvs, perforce or a handful of other terrible proprietary systems that are long forgotten. svn didn't hit 1.0 status until 2004

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

Makes you look cool

But also makes you smell disgusting and harms everyone near you

it makes you smell disgusting, your house and furniture smell disgusting, your clothes smell disgusting, etc...

why yes i have two parents who smoke like chimneys, why do you ask?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if one positive thing came out of having parents who were heavy smokers, it was that i basically became numb to smoke, so when i got to college and tried a cigarette, it didn't do anything for me an i never started smoking myself

once in a long while i'll have a cigar if someone is offering really good ones, but other than that, no

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

cigarette smoke smells great. I will walk a block out of my way to stay downwind of a smoker.

the smell of smoke + alcohol takes me back to my childhood

cigarette smoke by itself stinks, but a certain combination of the two reminds me of my relatives' houses growing up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

my work pc is a Dell 9020 optiplex from like 2016 and it runs like a charm sooooo

I’m a big boy now

21’ multi use ladder

can’t wait to break my legs

nice little giant knockoff ladder

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

paintball with only people you know is fun, yeah, but you need at least like idk 8 people to have a good match, and with less than that you're gonna get thrown in with the field regulars.

and oh boy. that is quite...an experience. let's just say that if you thought you'd seen every possible way you could combine a thin blue line flag and a punisher skull, you are in for a treat!

back in the 90s, one of my older cousins and his friend went to a paintball place called (i think) 'wolf's den' or 'wolf's lair' or something along those lines in ny state. they had planned to stay for the weekend, but wound up leaving before the first day was over because the other people there were completely nuts. like, hardcore nazi spec-ops soldier cosplaying kind of nuts. not the kind of thing that two suburban 20 year olds who just wanted to play some paintball and have fun wanted anything to do with

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there aren't any good cop shows. every one of them is copaganda.

the wire

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that guy is having more fun than i've had all year

The Fool posted:

happy new year yospos, I’m fixin to go get drunk

tv: "are you on your 5th beer of the evening?"

me, sincerely: "does whiskey count as beer?"

i look into ze eyes of werner herzog und i zee nothing but darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

today i drove two hours each way to pick up a dishwasher, because it was basically the only non-garbage one available within a 300km radius (maybe even more, i stopped calling once i found this one) until april at the earliest, but more likely june. tomorrow morning i will install it to replace it's predecessor that lasted 25 years

i also had lunch at a pretty good ramen joint near the appliance store, so that was good