Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’ve got some ugg winter boots and they’re good and warm. buy them at the better Seattle based e commercial fashion retailer https://www.nordstrom.com/s/ugg-biltmore-waterproof-plain-toe-boot-men/5400742

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

dockers a little thing like bsd jails. its useful

quotes that work at a tech talk or a munch

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs Oh god one of our on prem services is deployed by manually sshing in and dropping a jar in a directory.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

CPColin posted:

Negotiate an upward adjustment for all the extra time you have to spend saying "the" before freeway numbers from now on

i picked this up when living in Arizona but it only applied to new highways. any road in Texas is just the number. linguistics is weird

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’m not a fan of washingtons new season smoke

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
learning that it could rain in ways that weren’t flash floods or monsoons was a real eye opening event about the PNW

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I seem to remember vs code is pretty solid about undo reverting things include deleting files tho

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
devs angered atlassian so pms punish us forever

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: blocked the prod pipeline because of an undocumented requirement that branch names not be in camel cast.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: first big project of new team was getting alarming and alerting in line with company standards. we finally get our main service to meet the standards. this means it alarms constantly because our time out for dependency service is higher than our sla. I’m on call and continually getting paged for tickets I can’t do anything about. fml

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it’s wild how good roast chicken is for how cheap and easy it is

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

The Fool posted:

$8 at costco is hard to beat

they also sell whole chickens two for $11. season with salt, pepper, shove butter under the skin and shove some herbs up the rear end. roast on 375 until done and rest for 15. delicious and then you’re half was to a great stock

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cls: daughter has learned that if she headbutts me between the legs I’ll fall over and grunt funnily. she’s got to duck to do this so it’s def intentional.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: on call. for some reason with errors we log nothing but the stack trace. no info about the request. no headers. just a 100~ line error that is mostly spring boot stuff. our success messages include the names of all the headers but also none of the actual header values. who the gently caress designed this lmao and errors return 200?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: lmao gently caress WebKit so much https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203617

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
smokin a pork shoulder hell yeah

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
pulled pork update: very good

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
having only started skimming cjs again in the last few weeks: hbag seems shadowhawk or whoever that open source hacker boot camp hovel bad poster was

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: itd be sweet if once in a lifetime weather events could stop happening monthly.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hell yeah dnd with friends I miss interacting with people Covid is awful

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: load balancer treating this like a group project. tps across pods: 175, 34, 5, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i wish math education was approached more like english or another language. idk exactly, but some approach to math as communicating ideas

this is one of my favorite articles along those lines: https://www.quantamagazine.org/color-me-polynomial-20190813/

isn’t this what common core was trying to do? teach math as a set of rules and concepts rather than memorization

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the smartest thing Amazon ever did was make an internal stack overflow.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Broken Machine posted:

someone says they're making snowballs, and he fondly remembers programming in SNOBOL

always figured he was more of a hoho fan. they pair great with fire roasted water.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
who the hell calls potato wedges jojos

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: on call and got paged. big drop off in traffic. thought it was our service since we are the root of a key path. nope. at network edge so gently caress all I can do but also have to be on this phone bridge

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the right time and place to have hashbrowns is any meal and if the place you’re eating has home fries instead it’s a trash place you should leave. hashbrowns are the only acceptable breakfast potato dish (latkes are basically hashbrowns down @ me)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

rotor posted:

i had to explain what $CLASSPATH was and how to set it to a principle engineer. dude had just never built or run anything without maven.

it’s me. I’m the senior or higher engineer who hasn’t done many basic things

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
aren’t venvs considered bad now and you just run in a container?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
“it’s really weird so many teams have the same config with the same misconfigured rule.” is it weird that a bunch of teams copy and pasted an xml file? is this not the most obvious possible thing?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: if I were to summarize all the lessons of the last few years of work it’d be, “any time you give users a choice you’ve made a mistake.” jobs was right. you get one button because you’re too dumb to handle two.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’m so glad we finally have rain. it was bizarre how dry this summer was

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I’m happy to know just enough python to be able to debug others code but not get a job writing python

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
rotor is so old his epoch age caused an int32 overflow in the 90s

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cfs: what the gently caress cardinals

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sagebrush posted:

Is it just me or is a giant 10ft tall halloween skeleton less frightening than a regular human-sized halloween skeleton

I’m not sure the distinction you’re making here

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i like living in the northeast usa, not many natural disasters up here except for the occasional "too much snow"

haven’t you guys gotten hurricanes getting up there every year for the last few years?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
me leaving Arizona, “finally no days above 105”
climate hell, “how’s 115 in Seattle without ac sound?”

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Achmed Jones posted:

PFIZER APPROVED FOR KIDS 5-11

gently caress YES

EVERYTHINGS COMIN UP ACHMED TODAY

so loving hyped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
yeah I moved out to the burbs during Covid and I hate it. being able to walk everywhere and having groceries, restaurants, parks and such within 5-6 blocks was sick af