Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Just looked at amberpos for the first time in years, it's very autumn-y/thanksgiving-y
Pumpkin Spice-POS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

someone sneezed on your chicken dude
You can have any sandwich you want in the cjs thread as long as the bread isn't cooked.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's a real thing so if it works for you then go for it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There are some pages claiming that paradoxical reactions to caffeine are associated with ADHD if you google it too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Cold coffee is my summer drink, and hot coffee is my winter drink.
What about fall and spring?

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

ok but where can i hang on the budget of an unemployed uni student
Apparently right here

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

sounds like a good reason for legislation and ramping fines for corporations dumping plastic waste into the ocean

this is the same problem as the plastic straws ban. it's a performative feel-good "fix" that doesn't actually fix the problem and tends to be indirectly an ableist practice that negatively impacts people who need rigid containers or straws due to medical situations. I have a friend who cannot use paper or metal straws and cannot articulate his arms minutely enough to bring a glass up to his mouth -- is it okay that to let him be unable to drink things in exchange for outlawing plastic straws?
Would it be possible to design reusable straws so that your friend could use them?

Also, isn't there some more moderate solution to this other than requiring all restaurants to give all customers plastic straws at all times? It seems like any change is going to negatively affect a small number of people but I'm not sure we should keep using 500 million plastic straws a day because of that.

Additionally, while we should obviously do whatever we can to make stuff accessible, if we don't do anything about environmental issues because some people might be negatively affected, we are probably going to end up in a situation that will have much bigger problems for people like your friend.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 2, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly plastics don't even matter because global warming is going to wipe out modern civilization first. If we survive long enough that we have to worry about all the garbage we've created then I guess we were lucky.

Microplastics are killing lots of animals but they're all going to go extinct anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

if you sarcastically lie, your still lying. i just learned this recently, and now you know too
Thanks, very helpful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bump_fn posted:

soimetimes ill have a shot of espresso right befoer having a nap, wake up an hour and change later feeling great
As someone who has trouble getting to sleep and generally can't take naps most of the time, I can't even imagine being able to time this so it works but it sounds like it would be fantastic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

need to go actually get something to eat but i also need to go to bed because im exhausted
Ask the Ambien walrus to bring over a pizza.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

mussels are easy. you just cook them and then sigh and throw away the third-to-half that didn't open. at least that's how it works when you get em from costco
That's a ridiculously large amount lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Get your post buttered and ready to go.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wouldn't you be better off spending a little more money to be somewhere you could live year round that is slightly less remote?

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's an anti csrf token for good reason.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

is it even worth it at this point? what are you doing? adding a theme to windows??
Probably just to gtk (for pidgin).

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

#FFFFFF isn't a theme it's a war crime
Turn down your monitor

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if it's a tufted tddymouse?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stringent posted:

it only came at the cost of five thousand new cases of covid a day in tokyo alone :peanut:
It already happened and it's too late to stop it so no big deal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

exactly. once you start letting a little anime slide, it's only a matter of time before people start 'ironically' posting creepy magic schoolgirl pantsu stuff
Agreed, hopefully Apple will think of the children and start automatically scanning devices for anime, deleting it, and reporting the anime watchers the FBI now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe the rule should be that people can discuss any anime that doesn't contain any panty shots? There must be lots of those so I'm sure that this rule would not be overly restrictive.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bump_fn posted:

wait what happened w korean archery
Maybe this? https://www.todayonline.com/8days/sceneandheard/celebrities/ya-hui-defends-south-korean-olympic-archery-champ-san-who-was

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i know a kid that broke his back on a longboard and incurred 437k of medical bills. short answer: no

that being said i came here to post that i jumped on the supermoto today for a quick afternoon ride and its still just as fun to ride across rich assholes' lawns as it was in 2018
I'm not sure that skateboards are more dangerous than motorcycles?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually I guess if you do stuff like this longboarding is probably dangerous but I don't think that's what people were suggesting Jonny do:

https://youtu.be/vSBcrmx4aFw

mystes
May 31, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol Gene Hackman with big 70s headphones winding and rewinding twelve-inch tape reels containing surveilled midnight audio of hbag trying to butter toast.
Someone make this please

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

apparently it can have groats in it and idk wtf a groat even is so
Eww, groats.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Then what do you call dinner?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some people in the us call or used to call lunch dinner and dinner supper but definitely not "tea."

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

I'm the 1 hr break between lunch and dinner
I'm the combined dinner/supper period from 2-9PM.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

basically just wake up around 10 or 11 and start eating, take an hour break at 1, then eating again until 9pm. Maybe watch some tv and go to sleep. A rich, full life.
I had a coworker who strongly believed it was the most healthy to divide up his food so that he was constantly eating little by little the whole day. Coincidentally he also had gum disease.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

oh poo poo my copy of joey the rat came in! and look what truman peyote included!

Lol that's great

mystes
May 31, 2006

It will be interesting to see if this continues to get worse as a result of kids just using tablets/phones and maybe chromebooks more and more.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

i think i do but i probably dont
because ive never really bothered to read into how it works

but afaik its just the method the computer uses to organize files on the disk, the user wont usually notice anything different about it if they switch between different filesystems as MOST of them function pretty much the same on that level, only really differing when it gets closer to the metal
I'm guessing you're interpreting the question as being about how filesystems are implemented, but I think the tweet is literally talking about people not understanding how files are organized in a hierarchical fashion on a computer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

DimmestImmp 14h49m

This post is a honeypot written by a somethingawful goon and it worked fantastically. So many of them are smirking and stroking their neckbeards as they read this and chortling about how superior they are to Redditors.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel very judged.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is that like TCBY?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It appears hbag has already been probed by BYOB just now anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't understand what this is

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ansible Adams posted:

if a directory tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

my laptop's hostname is "navi" because im a massive loser
You could be at least two other kinds of massive losers with that hostname though