Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Made me laugh that Willow was apparently an inspiration to this, because that's all I could think of when he walked past the skeleton in the cage at the crossroads. RIP Madmartigan. But there were also lots of little surprising moments where it evoked the film, for how tonally different they (mostly) are.

I think I'm going to go on a dark/medieval fantasy kick tonight and catch Flesh+Blood and Conquest.

e: Maybe I'll take a look at Sword of the Valiant, too. I skipped through it a few months ago on YouTube and found it charming. If anyone else is looking for more stuff that has some of the same vibes (though not quite as high-minded) the Robin of Sherwood TV show from the 80s is surprisingly great and the two-part The Swords Of Wayland hits some similar notes. Free to stream on Shout Factory TV.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Made me laugh that Willow was apparently an inspiration to this, because that's all I could think of when he walked past the skeleton in the cage at the crossroads. RIP Madmartigan. But there were also lots of little moments where it evoked Willow, for how tonally different they (mostly) are.

I think I'm going to go on a dark/medieval fantasy kick tonight and catch Flesh+Blood and Conquest. Maybe I'll take a look at Sword of the Valiant, too.

OMG yeah as soon as it was on screen lol, I liked how like in Willow too it was positioned like it was still a full body instead of just collapsed bones. I love any time in movies skeletons are like, in some ancient dungeon/clearly long dead and are just bones but are still posed like a person sitting/shackled to a wall/whatever :3:

Flesh+Blood and Conquest are so loving good. Flesh+Blood's score is really good too, feels like sort of a technical evolution of his Conan the Barbarian score moreso than some of the new tracks for Destroyer even.

You've probably seen Dragonslayer but that's a really really good one too if you haven't, impressively cynical for a Disney flick and gently caress yes those dragon effects, well worth checking out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's kinda weird that they released a Christmas movie in July

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jerkface posted:

I don't think you really need any of that explained. The story isnt about them and everything you need to know is presented on screen. What more do you gain knowing his mom is Morgan le Fay? you literally see her do pagan magic and summon the green knight in the movie! I think the movie did well to push most of the Arthurian stuff to the back and focus fully on Gawain. If you're a fan of Arthurian legend you'll know that Merlin is there and that's Excalibur etc but it's completely unnecessary to understand the story!

i liked the movie a lot better once I realized who she was because it helped inform why the entire movie happened. the green knight is someone you know, to me, means the green knight is or was summoned by his mother. she knew he wouldn't be respected on the throne unless he did something worthwhile so she orchestrated the plot of the movie.

it confirms lefay must have either been inhabiting or otherwise influencing the lady in the manor. the movie tells you that in a few ways but I didn't put anything together specifically until I put it together that of course Arthur's sister must be Morgan lefay. .

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 31, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. There was plenty I didn't fully pick up on in this, but I thought that was pretty clear from when Morgaine wrote the same letter that the Green Knight delivered.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy A. Person posted:

Two notes he didn't actually get the horse back, that was A Vision he was having before he decided to take off the sash. He got the axe back because of Green Knight magic so he could continue/complete his quest.

Also from what I recall Arthur had a few half-sisters and one of them was Gawain's mom; Morgan Le Fay is a different one who Arthur sleeps with (while drunk/ensorcelled??) and their son is Mordred. Also in later stories Gawain has two brothers who Lancelot accidentally kills, making them mortal enemies. The brothers and other sisters aren't mentioned tho so this might be using earlier legend logic or conflating some of the stuff, but then that does bring up an interesting dynamic that maybe Gawain is supposed to be Arthur's sister-son like Mordred which adds another layer to that whole dynamic.

(also also, when Gawain is staring at the Knight's face while he is sleeping I am pretty sure it was supposed to look like Arthur's, reinforcing the whole idea of him being the source of this pressure, so I assumed that was the "GK is someone you know" thing)

Anyway I really liked the movie. Did expect at least a small bit of action since most Arthurian stuff does have some fighting but everything was so beautiful and surreal I didn't care.

For the record, re: arthurian deep lore: Morgause is the mother of both Gawain and Mordred in most of the legends, its just that gawain is her son by traditional means with her husband, a neighboring vassal of Arthur’s, rather than witchcraft incest like Mordred. Also: Morgause is usually rolled into the same character of Morgan le Fay in most modern adaptations, which is where a lot of confusion comes from.

Incidentally, the original text is more straightforward that the whole affair is one of Morgause’s plots to gently caress with Arthur and Guinivere, as the blind lady hanging out in the castle with the lord and his wife is explicitly morgause in disguise, and the green knight straight up tells gawain “yeah your mom set up all this poo poo to gently caress with your aunt and uncle, idk, witches” at the end of the story

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I love this movie and am still grappling with it, the sound and visuals were astonishing and it really put me in Gawain’s head. So perfect.

Oddly enough it reminded me a bit or Cromwell, which I watched the other day; the sense the religious was very real to those characters put me in mind of the way that the mystic was accepted in Green Knight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat this movie sucked me right in. I wish I could experience it again on the big screen. Fully engrossing and I almost wanted more. I just wanted to explore those sets all on my own. They looked so drat good.

I feel like my viewing was a little dark as a lot of stuff got lost in the darkness but that just means I’ll buy it when it’s on disc. Can’t wait. This lived up to every expectation I had and then some.

E: I knew I recognized that voice of the Green Knight - Ralph Ineson is so powerful.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

A real shame that it seems the movie won't show in the UK until sometime past the 6th of August, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Much like Gwain heading to certain death against the Green Knight, my double-vaccinated rear end heads towards Delta Variant at the cinema.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was a good movie and I enjoyed it. It felt more dreamlike and of myth and legend. Definitely had a sense of humor. The scenery and long shot of him leaving the castle was great as was when he reached the chapel.

It amused me just how much Gawain sucked at being a knight and was also a dick. This really was his journey to understand himself and prove himself. Both Arthur and his Mother and Essel root for him and really do love him and want to see him succeed and he stumbles all the way through. He fails for his girlfriend, he fails on his generosity, he first shows some honor in doing a good deed for Winifred but has the idiocy to ask her for something in return vs doing something just for it’s own sake. He shows glimpses of honor by not taking advantage of the Lady and rejecting her advances but gives in primarily for the sash for his survival. The Fox journeys with him and protects him seemingly from the giant but he lashes out at it at the end and he’s terrified of the thieves and is not skilled to get out of his predicament but a knight is more than just his tools and armor. He’s tested all the way through in all aspects.

I thought the Green Knight while could resemble Arthur also resembled the Lord. Probably intentional. The spirit was probably the Lord too. The old woman was clearly a representative of his mother who is keeping eye on him.

A knight has to be tested and if Gawain is to he King he has to be developed and gain experience. The vision felt like it had to blatantly lay that poo poo out for him that dude come on you’re loving up cause he wasn’t getting it. Even the Queen says he should just make a light cut but how the dumbass decided to cut the whole head off shows he didn’t get the challenge despite Arthur asking him. This game was for Gawain and I think that’s why no other knight takes it up. Maybe they went through it too?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, when Gawain remarked that his portrait was queer, someone at the back of the theatre shouted "The green knight is gay!" Wonder what movie that guy thought he was going to. And I feel bad for his date (if he had one).

I want to see it again, but I'll probably wait for the VOD. Scared of delta like a merely good man is scared of losing his head.

Absolutely gorgeous, and I loved how it conveyed the weird mysticism of these sorts of tales.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
It seemed like the film was implying that Gawain was really Arthur's son, not his nephew, just like in Gawain's vision he had an illegitimate son with Essel. Was that part of any versions of this legend?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Movie was good but left me with exactly the same feeling 13 year old me had after reading the story: ok this is all well and good but I don't really care about this Gawain guy, I want to spend more time with the green knight. He's a much more interesting idea.

At least the movie was polite enough to tell me up front that he wasn't a real character, but it didn't really help.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As I think about it, the movie should have just cut the Morgana stuff entirely. This is a movie about an unsure young man learning who he is, facing challenges to his body and soul and deciding whether his honor is worth his life. Morgana and her actions just muddles all of that.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 1, 2021

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe, but there’s something in it that he rejects the path she’s laid out for him by taking off the sash.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed this, and was glad to see it in theaters. I'm not sure if it was just my theater but it had a relatively tall aspect ratio which really expanded the forest images. I also loved how it felt like Arthurian legend rather than standard medieval fare or LOTR or GOT or whatever. The only element I'm still kind of trying to find a good interpretation for is the fox. It didn't want him to go on the river to the green knight... was it a representation of his doubt? I dunno.

1stGear posted:

As I think about it, the movie should have just cut the Morgana stuff entirely. This is a movie about an unsure young man learning who he is, facing challenges to his body and soul and deciding whether his honor is worth his life. Morgana and her actions just muddles all of that.

I think that's a pretty fair point. I think the main reason was to add some creepy imagery and also a kind of ambiguously adversarial relationship -- is this to help him or kill him? etc. I believe the director wanted to make a story somehow about the relationship with his mother.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 1, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NA Attack on Titan movie when plz.

Also Did the woman in the manor literally take a photograph of Gawain??

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

1stGear posted:

I disagree. I think when you boil the movie way way down, then it's a story about a mother kicking her lazy kid out of her house and forcing him to grow up. She is the one responsible for sending the Green Knight, and I believe she was also the old woman at the castle and the fox, both of which shame Gawain and push him to continue his quest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Regarding the various family ties that have been brought up, the brief conversation Gawain has with Arthur at the beginning when Arthur talks about how he wants to build bridges now, to me he's not just talking about them but about the kind of ruler he wants Gawain to be and how the kingdom should be run this time around.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Codependent Poster posted:

I disagree. I think when you boil the movie way way down, then it's a story about a mother kicking her lazy kid out of her house and forcing him to grow up. She is the one responsible for sending the Green Knight, and I believe she was also the old woman at the castle and the fox, both of which shame Gawain and push him to continue his quest.

This was also the impression I came away with.

I really enjoyed this. Found it entrancing and dreamy and almost psychedelic in some places. This might be one that I see multiple times before it leaves theaters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I saw this last night with a pal of mine. I went in as blind as could be, I knew “a retelling of an Arthurian myth” and was like “a Rated R fantasy movie, sounds cool!”

Visually, aurally, this movie is very very good. The evocative landscapes and sweeping vistas and cozy, claustrophobic woods are just an absolute delight to play in, and the sound design is just flawless. Everything that happens on the screen looks and sounds beautiful and ethereal and spooky.

I just did not vibe with this story at all. I know nothing about Arthurian legends except for what I gleaned from other nerds in High School, but I could pretty easily see who Arthur and Morgan and Merlin were and what roles they might play…

But I just don’t understand some of these choices.

1) I think, on some level, I respect that we have a fantasy movie about a Knight on a Magic Quest with essentially no fighting, and basically no violence, but it means that there’s also very, very little for you latch on to if the story isn’t right up your alley

2) The story was not right up my alley. A Knight’s ambition sets him up for defeat, and on the way to his sacred quest he is unarmed and his glamours fail him and he is left downtrodden in the mud, and from there I thought the film could go anywhere and do anything… but then it just sent the Knight to go hang out with some spooky ghost ladies for an hour and then the moral of the story is, like… don’t bust? (Yes obviously it’s dont be greedy and to try to be a Knight by being honorable and a good person, not a coward with a cool legend)

3) the characterization of women in this movie just baffles me. Every single woman feels like the same character, (except his Leeeydeh, who I liked) just this spooky and ethereal super natural entity who exists only to confuse or tempt Gawain away from his quest… who he was put upon my his mom in the first place. I didn’t understand the Mother’s motivations at all! She and Arthur seem very close, they seem to love each other, Arthur clearly already loves Gawain. I guess Gawain being next in line for the throne was up in the air because he was a lame drunk who whored around and Morgan thought he needed to build up his reputation but… I don’t know the entire thing just seems to 100% be Morgan doing her thing and being the puppet master. If this movie has a villain, it’s his mom, and his mom is also the green knight and the sexy witch queen in the villa… and also maybe the fox? His mom is like half the characters in the movie, and the villain, that’s very difficult for me as an average movie goer to sift through while trying to accept that story is happening, or that it had to happen.

4) I’m sorry but even as a legendarily horny poster me and my friend really did not understand the significance of cumming on the belt at all. The witch in the castle is a temptress? Or rather, both of them, the lady and the hunter, I thought, were some kind of Fey-like spiritual entities that would distract Gawain or make him miss his appointment, but while the Lady’s characterization just makes it seem like it’s his own mother trying to seduce him, by puppeteering this other witch, and I didn’t know if the Hunter was also trapped by the witch or part of their game or if he was also a man-witch or what. I felt Gawain’s same distress and confusion, so in that sense those scenes worked for me, but I couldn’t believe how much time this movie spent on that castle and those characters.

4) He loses his magic Axe and his Magic Belt to a trio of slimy urchins, but then that conflict slowly resolved itself over the course of the film with absolutely no payoff. I was expecting, maybe, that the urchin claimed he would finish the quest, so as long as Gawain followed the trail over time he’d gather his things as he saw the trail of destruction and decay left by the little shithead boy… but that entire scene (which serves a clear narrative purpose) feels EXTREMELY devalued by just getting back his magic items from totally unrelated people.

Overall, I enjoyed the act of watching this movie, I don’t regret watching it, but while I enjoyed it visually and sonically I just don’t think I actually liked the story very much and I’m not sure who I’d ever recommend it to.

As I left, I realized that this movie really made me think about two other movies. One of them is Pan’s Labyrinth. I was mislead about the film by trailers, went expecting a high fantasy Alice in Wonderland horror movie, was blindsided by a Spanish Civil War movie I absolutely wouldn’t have gone to see, hated it and have ever since… because I had no expectations for this film, I wasn’t disappointed, just kind of dissatisfied.

The other is Les Pacts des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf), a live action fantasy drama that also succeeds at being an exciting action movie and an intriguing and mysterious fantasy movie, which is honestly what I was hoping this movie would be.

So yeah, I had fun watching it but don’t feel like I really got anything out of the story at all, and don’t think the story was told in a particular interesting way, but if you just want to watch a really beautiful movie with a couple of unbelievable performances, you could do worse.

The scene with the Giants was both of our favorite scenes and if the film had played up the fantasy elements a teensy bit more I think it could been a much more engaging film. There are 4-5 scenes in this movie that, even accepting artistic license by the director, just go on for minutes too long.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 1, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

1stGear posted:

Glimpse posted:

Maybe, but there’s something in it that he rejects the path she’s laid out for him by taking off the sash.

i would argue otherwise. it's a movie about allowing yourself to be born, deciding whether it's worth it to "cut the cord" and leave the alluring safety of the womb and go out into a world filled with trials in full knowledge and acceptance that nothing matters and one day you're just gonna die, or whether you're gonna hang on as long as you can and run from it all and inadvertently strangle yourself in the womb.

from morgan le fay's perspective, she's promising him she's already given him all that he needs to survive on his own. she's set a path for him, but whether he walks it or not is his choice to make.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

1stGear posted:

That kind of guts the whole thing, though. I mean, the belt has some pretty obvious symbolism to it. He’s a momma’s boy, letting her protect him with this belt like she’s protected him from consequences his whole life. Even when he gets the second belt/gets the belt back, it’s a dude letting another woman be a stand-in for his mother. The whole point of the film is to see him grow out of letting a maternal figure protect him. Freud would have a field day with Gawain.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this is gonna be an all-timer wrt to the British mea culpa for imperialism/colonialism sub genre

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Braving the Covid demons to see this (excellent) film

feedmyleg posted:

Movie is loving fantastic. Much more fun and funnier than I thought it would be, but also melancholy and complex and multilayered and BEAUTIFUL. Amazing atmosphere and storytelling and cinematography and production design. I can already tell is an all-timer for me.

Going to go watch The Seventh Seal as a double feature.

Got to give a Cinemascore after the movie, and there was a section about whether I would purchase a copy. I was bummed I had to select "Blu-ray" instead of "I need a 4K immediately."

One other bit that I chuckled at: The Lady asks him "Do you believe in magic? And witchcraft?" and he matter of factly answers "of course, it's all around us."

The silver nitrate / camera obscura scene was pretty great as well, I'm wondering if they made an actual silver nitrate photograph for his 'queer portrait'.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really loved it, although I think I will definitely benefit from supplementary reading regarding what went on at the manor specifically.

I found it interesting how much the quest felt like a "fake" fairy tale even within the context of the movie, what with Gawain's mom organizing the entire thing. So much of the humor worked really well with that, with Gawain for instance asking the ghost what he'll get in return as if he's playing a freakin' video game or something lol.

It actually reminded me of some of what I love about Adventure Time in that sense; specifically there's an episode where Finn and Jake help some poor old loser solely because they suspect him to actually be a magic man who will obviously reward them with awesome stuff for their heroic acts. The dude does turn out to be a Magic Man, but punishes them in completely idiotic ways with the only lesson by the end being "some people are jerks." In this movie too there is a kind of humorous commentary on the artificiality of the fairy tale that then causes it to loop back around to being a truly relevant modern fairy tale. Like, maybe all Gawain was really supposed to do was wear the sash and come back with a simple story, and Arthur and his mom were just arranging his path to the kingship like parents scamming their kids' way into college... but instead he manages to find something real in all that fakeness. I dunno I thought that was really cool.

e: Oh yeah I did a dumb and had to pee right before the movie started, so I think I missed about 5-15 seconds of the opening. I heard starting from "this is not that king...", so I assume it was just starting with something like blah blah you've heard of King Arthur, well this aint your daddy's King Arthur!!! but I'm wondering if I missed anything else

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 2, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What the gently caress did I just watch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not sure but this is the thread for The Green Knight

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yes I was expressing my bewilderment about the movie I watched tonight, called The Green Knight

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Martman posted:

e: Oh yeah I did a dumb and had to pee right before the movie started, so I think I missed about 5-15 seconds of the opening. I heard starting from "this is not that king...", so I assume it was just starting with something like blah blah you've heard of King Arthur, well this aint your daddy's King Arthur!!! but I'm wondering if I missed anything else

Nope thats all, you got the gist of it!

Also one thing I liked about the opening sequence is the exciting looking tale happening right outside Gawain's window, as the knight puts a lady on a horse and grabs his sword to hold off whoever is chasing them so she can escape

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bust Rodd posted:

I saw this last night with a pal of mine. I went in as blind as could be, I knew “a retelling of an Arthurian myth” and was like “a Rated R fantasy movie, sounds cool!”

Visually, aurally, this movie is very very good. The evocative landscapes and sweeping vistas and cozy, claustrophobic woods are just an absolute delight to play in, and the sound design is just flawless. Everything that happens on the screen looks and sounds beautiful and ethereal and spooky.

I just did not vibe with this story at all. I know nothing about Arthurian legends except for what I gleaned from other nerds in High School, but I could pretty easily see who Arthur and Morgan and Merlin were and what roles they might play…

But I just don’t understand some of these choices.

1) I think, on some level, I respect that we have a fantasy movie about a Knight on a Magic Quest with essentially no fighting, and basically no violence, but it means that there’s also very, very little for you latch on to if the story isn’t right up your alley

2) The story was not right up my alley. A Knight’s ambition sets him up for defeat, and on the way to his sacred quest he is unarmed and his glamours fail him and he is left downtrodden in the mud, and from there I thought the film could go anywhere and do anything… but then it just sent the Knight to go hang out with some spooky ghost ladies for an hour and then the moral of the story is, like… don’t bust? (Yes obviously it’s dont be greedy and to try to be a Knight by being honorable and a good person, not a coward with a cool legend)

3) the characterization of women in this movie just baffles me. Every single woman feels like the same character, (except his Leeeydeh, who I liked) just this spooky and ethereal super natural entity who exists only to confuse or tempt Gawain away from his quest… who he was put upon my his mom in the first place. I didn’t understand the Mother’s motivations at all! She and Arthur seem very close, they seem to love each other, Arthur clearly already loves Gawain. I guess Gawain being next in line for the throne was up in the air because he was a lame drunk who whored around and Morgan thought he needed to build up his reputation but… I don’t know the entire thing just seems to 100% be Morgan doing her thing and being the puppet master. If this movie has a villain, it’s his mom, and his mom is also the green knight and the sexy witch queen in the villa… and also maybe the fox? His mom is like half the characters in the movie, and the villain, that’s very difficult for me as an average movie goer to sift through while trying to accept that story is happening, or that it had to happen.

4) I’m sorry but even as a legendarily horny poster me and my friend really did not understand the significance of cumming on the belt at all. The witch in the castle is a temptress? Or rather, both of them, the lady and the hunter, I thought, were some kind of Fey-like spiritual entities that would distract Gawain or make him miss his appointment, but while the Lady’s characterization just makes it seem like it’s his own mother trying to seduce him, by puppeteering this other witch, and I didn’t know if the Hunter was also trapped by the witch or part of their game or if he was also a man-witch or what. I felt Gawain’s same distress and confusion, so in that sense those scenes worked for me, but I couldn’t believe how much time this movie spent on that castle and those characters.

4) He loses his magic Axe and his Magic Belt to a trio of slimy urchins, but then that conflict slowly resolved itself over the course of the film with absolutely no payoff. I was expecting, maybe, that the urchin claimed he would finish the quest, so as long as Gawain followed the trail over time he’d gather his things as he saw the trail of destruction and decay left by the little shithead boy… but that entire scene (which serves a clear narrative purpose) feels EXTREMELY devalued by just getting back his magic items from totally unrelated people.

Overall, I enjoyed the act of watching this movie, I don’t regret watching it, but while I enjoyed it visually and sonically I just don’t think I actually liked the story very much and I’m not sure who I’d ever recommend it to.

As I left, I realized that this movie really made me think about two other movies. One of them is Pan’s Labyrinth. I was mislead about the film by trailers, went expecting a high fantasy Alice in Wonderland horror movie, was blindsided by a Spanish Civil War movie I absolutely wouldn’t have gone to see, hated it and have ever since… because I had no expectations for this film, I wasn’t disappointed, just kind of dissatisfied.

The other is Les Pacts des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf), a live action fantasy drama that also succeeds at being an exciting action movie and an intriguing and mysterious fantasy movie, which is honestly what I was hoping this movie would be.

So yeah, I had fun watching it but don’t feel like I really got anything out of the story at all, and don’t think the story was told in a particular interesting way, but if you just want to watch a really beautiful movie with a couple of unbelievable performances, you could do worse.

The scene with the Giants was both of our favorite scenes and if the film had played up the fantasy elements a teensy bit more I think it could been a much more engaging film. There are 4-5 scenes in this movie that, even accepting artistic license by the director, just go on for minutes too long.
I didn't like the movie either until I realized a couple of things. It went from being over indulgent in my mind to well constructed and Smart once I understood--
the ghost scene
I'm pretty sure the ghost was assaulted by the urchin guy. he took the axe and said he was going off on the quest, the ghost asks gawain if he's sure he's not the guy who did it, then the axe the kid stole is there.

Morgan lefay is afraid that her son will gently caress up on his path to the throne. She's been orchestrating getting her son onto the throne for some time. the one thing she didn't plan for was the boy himself--a known wastrel, essentially a stranger to the knights of the round table. Morgan knows gawain will never command the respect of these guys who are said a couple of times to be legendary warriors, so she summons the green knight and kicks off the plot of the movie to both boost the sons status in the eyes of the court and to help Gawain get his poo poo somewhat together.

This bit I'm less sure of--
Crucially, especially for you Bust, gawains dick doesn't work when he leaves (his short hair GF says something about not being able to get it up) and when the lady of the manor is cranking his hog, she's asking, using his mother's exact words, if he wants the magic green sash that will save his life. He's still desperate to survive and doesn't see the bigger picture, he wants the sash to avoid his fate.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Martman posted:

I really loved it, although I think I will definitely benefit from supplementary reading regarding what went on at the manor specifically.

I found it interesting how much the quest felt like a "fake" fairy tale even within the context of the movie, what with Gawain's mom organizing the entire thing. So much of the humor worked really well with that, with Gawain for instance asking the ghost what he'll get in return as if he's playing a freakin' video game or something lol.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that - it's probably the thing I appreciate most about the movie in the abstract, but while I was watching it I was struggling a lot with the feeling that I didn't really care about Gawain's psychology in the original story and this just makes it worse.

It does mesh pretty well with my favorite in-the-moment part of the viewing, though, which was thinking about how this looks an awful lot like a kingdom in rapid decline. Arthur's too old to fight and none of the knights have anything to say about anything. Every building Gawain rides past between leaving the castle and his first ghost is in ruins, there's a huge battlefield full of unburied bodies like half an hour out that he doesn't know anything about, and he doesn't encounter a single real human settlement the entire way. Arthur's territory appears to be just the castle complex. No wonder his mom had to magic up something to get him out of the house.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It reminded me of the worlds in Dark Souls... which I am sure were inspired by Arthurian legend.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What a frustrating and disappointing experience. This film ticks all the boxes for something I should absolutely love. It was moody, atmospheric, gorgeous, sounded terrific, and was well acted. Yet I was bored out my mind nearly the entire time. On a technical level, there is nothing to complain about in this move. But I found absolutely nothing about it engaging. By the end of the manor sequence I just wanted it to be over so I could leave.

Seeing all the love its getting, I feel like I'm the one who is wrong here. Like the film is doing something I'm just not seeing or understanding. I'm sure it doesn't help that I never read the tale or know anything about Arthurian legend.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

fishing with the fam posted:

What a frustrating and disappointing experience. This film ticks all the boxes for something I should absolutely love. It was moody, atmospheric, gorgeous, sounded terrific, and was well acted. Yet I was bored out my mind nearly the entire time. On a technical level, there is nothing to complain about in this move. But I found absolutely nothing about it engaging. By the end of the manor sequence I just wanted it to be over so I could leave.

Seeing all the love its getting, I feel like I'm the one who is wrong here. Like the film is doing something I'm just not seeing or understanding. I'm sure it doesn't help that I never read the tale or know anything about Arthurian legend.

It happens, come back to another time and you may just be in the right mood. This has happened to me more than once; you're just not always in the right mood for a certain film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

The director mentioned The Dark Crystal and The Passion of Joan of Arc being major inspirations for the film (along with Willow) but the latter two means a lot of long, biblical, patient pacing where you're expected take in all the detail on the actor's performances on their face and admire the craftsmanship of the sets and world and derive a lot of story and character info from those.

And I loved that but there's a thin line between that and boring so there's nothing wrong with you if it didn't click for you, and like if it's not something you're in the mood for when watching it it will definitely not be great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was kind of frustrated while watching it and after it ended, because it wasn't really quite what I expected.

But after thinking about it for a few days, I really really do love the movie. But yeah, I think you need to be in a certain mood for it, otherwise you could bounce off of it hard.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

It happens, come back to another time and you may just be in the right mood. This has happened to me more than once; you're just not always in the right mood for a certain film.

It reminds me a lot of Stalker, which is one of my absolute top favourites, that I also need to be in the right headspace to watch. Also, it's just not going to be for everyone, and it's a little surprising that it got such a wide release (tied with Old at 52% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes vs 90% critics).

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

AHH F/UGH posted:

Geekboy posted:

That kind of guts the whole thing, though. I mean, the belt has some pretty obvious symbolism to it. He’s a momma’s boy, letting her protect him with this belt like she’s protected him from consequences his whole life. Even when he gets the second belt/gets the belt back, it’s a dude letting another woman be a stand-in for his mother. The whole point of the film is to see him grow out of letting a maternal figure protect him. Freud would have a field day with Gawain.

Additionally the scene with the giants, Gawain asking these female figures carrying children for a ride/protection across the valley.

As someone who didn't even realize it was directly Arthurian until leaving the theater, I did enjoy myself, but I could tell that having better context would have made it a more enjoyable time. Reading about the poem and the differences between it and the film opened up a much greater appreciation for it.

I thought a lot of the editing for the first chapter was pretty abnoxious and I was happy that it slowed down once his journey began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that Book Barn did a very good Book of the Month of this a while back; the Christian vs Pagan tension is, based on my limited understanding, a big part of the movie, and bits and pieces of the OP were flashing in my head throughout the film.