Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Odoyle posted:

What’s with the slain hyperboar after the Lord’s kiss? Fucker has twice the tusks and studs on its spine.

The boar is very fierce in the poem, also Gawain has now finally entered the land of monsters and talking animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Speleothing posted:

The Lighthouse is a good comparison to The Green Knight. They're both movies that have a bunch of individually excellent scenes which have been strung together without much thought given to telling a story.

If what you want from a movie is a series of cool visuals, then that's what you get.

what the heck

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Odoyle posted:

What’s with the slain hyperboar after the Lord’s kiss? Fucker has twice the tusks and studs on its spine.
Boars in ye olde mythology are basically the demon boars from Princess Mononoke, they're giant nigh unkillable monsters

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This was neat!

I enjoyed the visuals, and I'm pretty sure his mom jerked him off and I also really hate ambiguous endings as a noncommittal trash shrug of writing. But this one wasn't so grievous, the ending was that he chose to face the knight. Making the consequences inconsequential by ending the film focuses attention on his choice. It's aguably the only choice he makes for himself - his other actions are driven by poorly guestimating what's expected of him.

The scene where Morgan remote-controlled Arthur's speaking before the knight arrived somewhat telegraphed that she was behind all of it. We got scenes where other characters were "posessed" and spoke out of character (or spoke at all!) - and it harkens back to the puppet show. At varying times the Green Knight, Arthur, the Fox, and the Lady are all puppets of Morgan's magic - but Gawain is a puppet of circumstance right until he chooses death.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Do you want the sash on, or off?

Off, please.

Too bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ror posted:

Do you want the sash on, or off?

Off, please.

Too bad.

lmao I heard this so clearly in my mind, thank you for giving me a blast of Murphy in the morning

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Boy oh boy this movie was just wonderful. I loved the sly smile when the last line was delivered. One thing that definitely helps with these kinds of movies is avoiding the trailers. I saw it long enough ago that I didn't remember all the details, and I'm so glad I didn't watch it again because every part of the journey felt like a real adventure and I had no idea what to expect. I hope on the second viewing I can spend more time just enjoying the visuals.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Odoyle posted:

There was a cut bit in the screenplay, just before the kiss, where Gawain says exactly that and the lord replies something to the effect that he doesn't even know what half the things he hunts are, the woods around there are just so weird. It's definitely that larger point about Gawain journeying into an increasingly supernatural sort of place.

I think there was also supposed to be a scene where he cuts out the heart and makes Gawain hold it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I really liked the movie.

I like to interpret that the Green Knight spared him at the end since that's closer to the original poem. Gawain didn't necessarily need to die for being a dipshit, but he did need to be taken down a few pegs, which he certainly was. If the Green Knight gives him a nice cut but he survives, he learned a lesson from the entire ordeal. In any case, he at least became a knight

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Emergency Exit posted:

Then by the time you get to Bertilak's manor, it seems to be anachronistic for the setting the movie takes place in and has established, leading Gawain to the same otherworldly, mystical experience that we the viewers have been experiencing. It's definitely supposed to feel out of place for the setting.

Thank you, I like this take.

Emergency Exit posted:

[...]and even modern visual interpretations of classical art motifs/religious iconography (crowns derived from halos seen in classical art that have never existed in reality)--an amalgamation representative of telling stories over centuries until they become myths and legends.

I just want to add: The halo crowns--while they may be fictional--are so incredible that they deserved to exist in a just world.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So what was the deal with the giants? Representing a primal, incomprehensible world beyond our understanding, beyond Christianity?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Delthalaz posted:

So what was the deal with the giants? Representing a primal, incomprehensible world beyond our understanding, beyond Christianity?

Gav has mommy issues so him seeing a bunch of giants with big mommy milkers and flinching away from their touch is part of his journey.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gav has mommy issues so him seeing a bunch of giants with big mommy milkers and flinching away from their touch is part of his journey.

A marvelous post-username combo

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

They represented the departure of magic in the world and acted as another challenge for Gawain to fail at, namely accomplishing this journey himself instead of standing on their shoulders

Emergency Exit
Mar 11, 2009

Pioneer42 posted:

Thank you, I like this take.

I just want to add: The halo crowns--while they may be fictional--are so incredible that they deserved to exist in a just world.

100% agree! The visuals in this movie are stunning. This is one of my favorites in a long time.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
May the Lord Buddha forgive me, but my first thought as I watched this movie was about video-games, Dark Souls in particular. I'm sure David Lowery is too cool to play vidya; but the whispery, abstruse dialogue delivering darkly intoned prophecy; the grim-dark, grey-skied aesthetic; and the mish-mash of anachronistic period styles all took me back to Lothric and Anor Londo and whatnot.

The movie is doubly Miyazaki in so far as it seems to marry the trappings of Hidetaka Miyazaki's Dark Souls with what I've always noticed as some of the strongest themes of Hayao Miyazaki's work: the disenchantment of the world in the face of human greed and hubris.

Which is to say I recommend Princess Mononoke, alongside Seventh Seal and Excalibur, as a movie to watch in the vein of the Green Knight.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
To be fair how many times does the hero die? And the difficulty setting of his world is pretty high. So it could be Dark Souls.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The extreme similarities to Dark Souls are the only reason I watched this movie, and tbh I was hoping for literally any action at all to break the long silent tensions of the film. The long and dry landscape shots of a dead, muddy world and a dead sky with dead trees in the background… all of it was just gorgeous.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd give the Guy Ritchie King Arthur a hard pass, same for the Clive Owen King Arthur.
Guy Ritchies was just bad (in my opinion), and the Clive Owen should have been way better with the cast it had, it was just not that great.

The Clive Owen King Arthur is elevated by its director’s cut. It’s not a situation like Kingdom of Heaven where the DC makes it a categorically better movie, but its definitely an improvement and worth watching.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Guy Ritchie's is a fun frazetta calendar of a movie

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Best King Arthur is Sword in the Stone.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

John Boorman's Excalibur owns and Robert Bresson's Lancelot Du Lac also owns.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I recommend the weird 1991 gawain you can find on youtube. It’s pretty close to the source material with a comically low tv budget!

https://youtu.be/fBEv8xjBJf8

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think people are a tad to hard on Gawain for his performance with Winifred. Sure, he acted like a twat asking for something in exchange and was rightly scolded, but he did do something scary and difficult regardless. I don't know if I'm going to go night diving into a creepy bog spring full of blood in search of a skull because a ghost told me to

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pioneer42 posted:

the costuming was so sick. the metal plates/creatures woven into arthur and guinevere's clothing especially.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's all really beautiful, all the sets and costumes and props, the music, the framing. Beautiful film. Honorable mention to the mannerisms of the main bandit character, more memorable than the leads.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

exmarx posted:

the costuming was so sick. the metal plates/creatures woven into arthur and guinevere's clothing especially.

Those were cool. Arthur's looked like plaques depicting scenes or something but Guinevere's looked like the little metal body parts you see hung up in some churches, as votives for healing. Might just be for the aesthetic but it kind of fits with that aura of sickness and frailty they both had.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
https://twitter.com/ericweiskott/status/1429935004709265408?s=19

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
I haven't been able to figure this one out:

At the very beginning of the movie, we see a building with it's roof on fire and two people, a woman and a man, enter a small courtyard. They start readying a horse for departure and the man pulls a sword out before walking out of frame. Then the camera slowly pulls back through the window of the brothel where Gawain is sleeping and Essel wakes him up. Cue the rest of the movie kicking off.

What's going on with that brief scene before he wakes up? I can't for the life of me find any discussion of it online.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

DyneAvenger posted:

I haven't been able to figure this one out:

At the very beginning of the movie, we see a building with it's roof on fire and two people, a woman and a man, enter a small courtyard. They start readying a horse for departure and the man pulls a sword out before walking out of frame. Then the camera slowly pulls back through the window of the brothel where Gawain is sleeping and Essel wakes him up. Cue the rest of the movie kicking off.

What's going on with that brief scene before he wakes up? I can't for the life of me find any discussion of it online.

I took it as a sign that there's a bigger world out there with random unnamed real knights doing real heroic knightly stuff, helping their lady escape and then covering her retreat against unknown assailants. As contrast to Gawain being asleep and hungover in a brothel on Christmas day.

No direct plot relevance or whatever (though maybe you could also take it as a peripheral suggestion of Arthur's rule crumbling in his old age?), just a snippet setting up the theme of Gawain being very much not a knight and a bit poo poo generally.

Emergency Exit
Mar 11, 2009
What I love about the visuals (apart from how breathtakingly gorgeous they are) is how rooted in art history they are. Even when highly stylized, it's a stylization based in historical context visually if not reality as I mentioned in another post. I went looking for more info on influences and found an interview with the costume designer, at least! They touch on the crowns we all love. Here's a snippet, but there's more in the article on the crown design than just this quote, and more about the rest of the costumes, too.

quote:

The crowns Arthur, Guinevere and Gawain wear are perhaps the most distinctive crowns I’ve ever seen. Was that always the design of the crown or did you try different versions before settling on the one we see in the film?

The crowns I’m very thrilled with, because it was something that I knew from the very first drawing that this is what they would look like. It started with me looking at very early medieval imagery of saints and the representation of halos. I actually studied art history before I started with costumes, so it was nice to go back to my previous life for a bit. Here the king and queen are treated almost as divine beings and I wanted to emphasize that divinity. I’m thrilled it came to life because at first I didn’t know if someone could move while wearing it, but it worked.

Here's the full interview: https://observer.com/2021/08/the-green-knight-costume-designer-interview/

I'd love to learn more from the folks who were responsible for the art design in the film though. I did dig up one anecdote about Vikander requesting tarot cards the night before her scene at the manor, to use with the monologue. There was an article that had quotes from the production designer, Jade Healy. She talks about searching museums for medieval tarot decks on lovely wifi outside the castle and then sending them to the art director to use for the next day. They also do mention a painter in that article as an influence (Caspar David Friedrich). All the other articles I've found so far have been movie influences. Here's the article with quotes from Healy and director of photography Andrew Droz Palermo:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-green-knight-design-giants-tarot

All the artwork was beautiful though. Especially in the beginning with the shield and the pentangle motifs. I love early medieval art. The later artwork in the manor was gorgeous, too. I'd love to read more just about the art history or historical influences. I'd also love to see a library or catalog of all the artwork they created for the film!

One amusing thing art-wise I remember from the manor were the hunting tapestries. The first showed a hunting party after a fox. The second showed gawain in his yellow cape being the prey.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

GhastlyBizness posted:

I took it as a sign that there's a bigger world out there with random unnamed real knights doing real heroic knightly stuff, helping their lady escape and then covering her retreat against unknown assailants. As contrast to Gawain being asleep and hungover in a brothel on Christmas day.

No direct plot relevance or whatever (though maybe you could also take it as a peripheral suggestion of Arthur's rule crumbling in his old age?), just a snippet setting up the theme of Gawain being very much not a knight and a bit poo poo generally.

I think that checks out, just a juxtaposition of the expectation of a heroic tale and what we're about to experience instead

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Haven't seen the film, but posters itt have pointed out that they are identified as Helen of Troy and Paris in the credits/script, whose story is used at the beginning of the original poem to basically make the same point.

I think someone posted the Tolkien translation? It could have been another thread because this film has sparked interest in other threads here and there, but my first assumption is that it was here.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I think someone posted the Tolkien translation? It could have been another thread because this film has sparked interest in other threads here and there, but my first assumption is that it was here.

I posted the opening lines here.

Edit: I don't know if Tolkien's translation is considered the most accurate or scholarly, but I have read portions of a few modern translations and his just "sounds" better--especially when read aloud.

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 26, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching this and tbh I didn't love it. I didn't hate it either, but it looked like extremely my jam so it was kind of a surprise. Very pretty movie and a good performance from dev patel though. I couldn't help but feel it was a little bit up it's own rear end and I'm usually the guy who loves movies that people accuse of that. Some of it just felt corny and tbh I don't know what the point of a lot of it was and I didn't like it enough to think too hard about it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I also just watched this. Loved it.

Simiain posted:

May the Lord Buddha forgive me, but my first thought as I watched this movie was about video-games, Dark Souls in particular. I'm sure David Lowery is too cool to play vidya; but the whispery, abstruse dialogue delivering darkly intoned prophecy; the grim-dark, grey-skied aesthetic; and the mish-mash of anachronistic period styles all took me back to Lothric and Anor Londo and whatnot.

The movie is doubly Miyazaki in so far as it seems to marry the trappings of Hidetaka Miyazaki's Dark Souls with what I've always noticed as some of the strongest themes of Hayao Miyazaki's work: the disenchantment of the world in the face of human greed and hubris.

Which is to say I recommend Princess Mononoke, alongside Seventh Seal and Excalibur, as a movie to watch in the vein of the Green Knight.

Yeah this definitely felt like the closest you could get to a Dark Souls movie that is actually really good. As opposed to watching a real life actor trying to fat-roll in full Havel armor.

I am surprised by all the bad reviews. I guess I’m just surprised how many people went into this movie expecting and hoping to see a bunch of characters swing swords for two hours. I would not have predicted there was a huge pent-up demand for some medieval fantasy action movie.

Also agree there was some strong Gene Wolfe vibes. Just like Severian isn’t, uh, always the most noble of people, but still does risk his life to help others, Gawain does dive into that dark, sketchy as hell pond to get the skull for the ghost. That scene also heavily reminded me of the lake scene with Severian and Dorcas.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

I think you’re fine. Even the director was caught off guard by his Arthur’s pronunciation.

“It wasn’t until day one of shooting Sean Harris. I know that he does nothing without putting a tremendous amount of thought and effort and research. I didn’t understand the way he was saying it, but I also was like, well, you know, throughout history, it’s been said many times in many different ways, and I’m not going to question about it. Let’s just go with it”

pretty good Vanity Fair article with a bad and misleading headline.

I know the film has been out for awhile and this thread is long dead, but I appreciate how he fully embraces death of the author before, during, and after filming.

Just "I had this vision, other people got involved, and what we got is what we all brought to it." without any enmity or criticism. Very refreshing.

I also liked that Morgan la Fey's stairway to her castle's witch loft goes widdershins around the spire.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I'm grateful for that direction as well--as it lets everyone leave with their own interpretation and still be satisfied. I personally read it as hopeful; that he went home a changed man. But it's just as interesting to read it the opposite, with some nihilism. Either way, the climax is Gawain making the critical choice. Anything further is epilogue.

(Spoiler'd just in case the statute of limitations isn't considered to have passed yet for some.)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm glad this thread got resurrected because I just watched this a few days ago. Mesmerized by the visuals. Agreed on the ending, wonderfully ambiguous but I think hopeful, even if we view it in the most negative light - despite Gawain's travails, he makes the right, brave, honorable decision at the end and becomes a knight.

One thing I'm struck by is how much this world runs counter to typical fantasy worlds - in Tolkien the magical, pristine world is fading and a world of human dominance and industrial savagery is on the rise. The ascendancy of humanity and Christianity in the Green Knight world is a transient phenomenon - the speech from the Lady in the castle at the end and much of the imagery (including the decline of Arthur and his kingdom) point to the inevitability of nature reclaiming the world. There are powers far beyond the reach of humanity and civilization, and our brief dominance will soon be superseded by Green. It's definitely a film informed by the environmental crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Don't forget to throw this one into the rotation on your Christmas viewing lists. While it may not technically be a "Christmas" movie, it is technically a movie that revolves around Christmas.