Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm glad this thread got resurrected because I just watched this a few days ago. Mesmerized by the visuals. Agreed on the ending, wonderfully ambiguous but I think hopeful, even if we view it in the most negative light - despite Gawain's travails, he makes the right, brave, honorable decision at the end and becomes a knight.

One thing I'm struck by is how much this world runs counter to typical fantasy worlds - in Tolkien the magical, pristine world is fading and a world of human dominance and industrial savagery is on the rise. The ascendancy of humanity and Christianity in the Green Knight world is a transient phenomenon - the speech from the Lady in the castle at the end and much of the imagery (including the decline of Arthur and his kingdom) point to the inevitability of nature reclaiming the world. There are powers far beyond the reach of humanity and civilization, and our brief dominance will soon be superseded by Green. It's definitely a film informed by the environmental crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU