Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

He lost his axe and his horse and got them both back just through magic without any sensual investment. I guess the one point I can think of of the ghost scene is she said the green knight is someone you know. The mom was clearly up to some nonsense and it almost seemed like she summoned the GK. It somehow didn't occur to me she, being Arthur's sister, is Morgan lefay who is very naughty in most depictions.

Two notes he didn't actually get the horse back, that was A Vision he was having before he decided to take off the sash. He got the axe back because of Green Knight magic so he could continue/complete his quest.

Also from what I recall Arthur had a few half-sisters and one of them was Gawain's mom; Morgan Le Fay is a different one who Arthur sleeps with (while drunk/ensorcelled??) and their son is Mordred. Also in later stories Gawain has two brothers who Lancelot accidentally kills, making them mortal enemies. The brothers and other sisters aren't mentioned tho so this might be using earlier legend logic or conflating some of the stuff, but then that does bring up an interesting dynamic that maybe Gawain is supposed to be Arthur's sister-son like Mordred which adds another layer to that whole dynamic.

(also also, when Gawain is staring at the Knight's face while he is sleeping I am pretty sure it was supposed to look like Arthur's, reinforcing the whole idea of him being the source of this pressure, so I assumed that was the "GK is someone you know" thing)

Anyway I really liked the movie. Did expect at least a small bit of action since most Arthurian stuff does have some fighting but everything was so beautiful and surreal I didn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean it's also just a vision, and as pointed out there's also dual casting as well as a general theme of characters being linked in Gawain's mind. He may have imagined her as similar as his requested "reward" for rescuing Winifred's head!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

After catching it the other day I'd have to recommend The Seventh Seal as a terrific companion film if anyone is looking to vibe.

I haven't seen this yet and is a great idea

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

I think once you have two characters be played by the same person with no explanation, it kind of obviously invites scrutiny from the audience if other characters look similar.

And, it's not that they look super similar or anything! But we mostly only see Winifred in the dark (unless I'm forgetting a particular shot), we only see the queen for like a few seconds in very different lighting like an hour later (and I wasn't sure at the time if the angle was different too), and the queen is at a ceremony where she seems to have a bunch of makeup on and her hair's done up all special-like. I absolutely recognized that Winifred had freckles and a darker skin tone, but I thought maybe the queen was being made all lily-white and covering them up. I didn't just completely assume they were the same, but I don't think it's insane to have wondered idk

Yeah, this is spot on. My wife who is the least goony person I know thought they might be the same but my buddy who is a (former) SA poster recognized both women from other stuff and corrected her.

No clue on thinking the bandit is the same, but I guess at that point if you're removed a day or more from seeing the movie maybe your mind starts playing tricks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Utena slaps way too hard for its own good.

That show is like what would happen if Sophia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, and David Lynch were locked in a room and said "gently caress it, let's make an anime."

There’s no way this can live up to that description but now I have to watch to confirm

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well it better!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

surf rock posted:

OK, it's me, I'm the dummy: what was up with the evil handjob? Was she saying that he wasn't a knight (1) because he's not chivalrous for letting her grab his dick, (2) because he's cowardly to want the magic belt, or (3) because he blew his load in about 10 seconds?

I'm, uh, guessing it's one of the first two reasons, but my initial take was that she was like, "bro, what the gently caress, I just spent all night enchanting this cloth; I wouldn't have bothered if I knew it was gonna be your cumrag."

I also thought that she was an apparition conjured by his mother, and her giving him an identical sash with the same speech as his mother didn't disabuse me of that notion. So... that's a lot.

It’s basically a combination of 1 and 2: at first he rejected her advances because she is married and he was a guest in their home, but then he gives in because he is afraid of dying. So he throws away his integrity because of his cowardice and she gives him the sash but still mocks him for it