Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tell us about your tinkering!

I've got a Benjamin 347 that's pretty dang old. Picked it up for my son. I've not really been able to accurately date it but I'm guessing it's from the 60s or so. I got it on a local radio classifieds service from a rich old coot that had a bunch of rad tales. I was hoping for a 392 but when I saw this one, it was too pretty to pass up. The only issue with it is it didn't shoot at all.

I bought it from the dude and picked up a parts kit for it. Overhauling this thing was one of the most infuriating (air)gun smithing experiences I've ever had. It involved a hammer on more than one occasion (beyond just the seized up brass roll pins). There were some parts you had to have install/remove by feel and it took me hours but I finally got all its guts replaced.

It shot well for a long while but now it's messing up a bit again. Low pressure and the like. Has a pellet stuck in it now. I suspect I folded one of the gaskets when I re-assembled everything so I'm probably going to pick up yet another parts kit and work through that frustration again.

A more successful smithing adventure I've had was some part swaps on my Crosman 1322. I have an old 1377 with the real cocking pull, which I think is a phase 2 or late phase 3 unless it's a combination of a phase 1 and 2. I remembered that we used to have one with a stock and thought about modifying it and then I found the 1322. Picked up the "premiere shooter's kit" for that and got to work. Put the plastic stock on it and then I put a steel breech and a fancy new bolt on it with a rear sight that's adjustable for windage+elevation. I've considered adding more to it like replacing the front sight/barrel/etc. but that's another post all together.

I'm proud to say that I've shot that 1322 in some 10 meter silhouette matches and came out with really good scores. Yes it's a pump gun and I got a lot of looks while charging the gun between shots but it was such a good time.

So what airguns have you beaten with a hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

I havenít done it yet but Iíve got a ca-1960s Romanian Communist Youth League air gun that Iím told is going to need the seals replaced. I guess theyíre oiled leather?

I have no idea how this is going to happen and suspect it may involve popping rivets.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

UMC Pioner? You can get the piston out with a screwdriver and a dowel, but I don't remember exactly how the seal attaches to it. FWIW the seal on mine is kinda ragged but it still had enough power and accuracy that relatives found it effective for pest control. (They eventually got a scoped Ruger for that.)

Old disassembly guide I wrote when I got mine: part 1 part 2

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

it seems like a lot of the older models require some dowel action. at least the seal isn't lead.

maybe you could put a drop of oil in there or something to soften the leather up?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Airgun smithing... OK. This is a bit weird.

Since Crosman stuff is all legos, I'm getting parts together to do a PCP rifle. 2240 barrel with front PCP fill to go to a regulated tank (idea of this is to sit in one place and plink a lot) with modified Discovery valve, Marauder rifle trigger, custom block to put an AR grip and stock on, and custom breech to take a larger diameter barrel. Because machining projects are fun.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Airgun smithing... OK. This is a bit weird.

Since Crosman stuff is all legos, I'm getting parts together to do a PCP rifle. 2240 barrel with front PCP fill to go to a regulated tank (idea of this is to sit in one place and plink a lot) with modified Discovery valve, Marauder rifle trigger, custom block to put an AR grip and stock on, and custom breech to take a larger diameter barrel. Because machining projects are fun.

That sounds rad and silly accurate. What are you going to use for sights?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It'd be neat to be able to do enough woodworking to convert one of the current plastic Crosman 1377's to one with a wood grip and forearm.

Of course, it'd also be neat to be able to convince the wife to let me get into woodworking. Not that I have any particular skill in it, but I've done a few things, and I'd like to do a custom stock for my Red Ryder. All I need is a table router and some bits, right? And a bandsaw, but I have a jigsaw that might work... then a nice chunk of some heavily figured wood...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

knuthgrush posted:

That sounds rad and silly accurate. What are you going to use for sights?

Scope; which specifically is a bit ??? Fundamentally I want to make something I can sit on my folks porch and plink at 100+ yards with for a few hours at a time for cheap, as a tool for getting good at wind calling and accuracy consistency.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

tarlibone posted:

It'd be neat to be able to do enough woodworking to convert one of the current plastic Crosman 1377's to one with a wood grip and forearm.

Of course, it'd also be neat to be able to convince the wife to let me get into woodworking. Not that I have any particular skill in it, but I've done a few things, and I'd like to do a custom stock for my Red Ryder. All I need is a table router and some bits, right? And a bandsaw, but I have a jigsaw that might work... then a nice chunk of some heavily figured wood...

for a couple hundred bucks and a few minutes on ebay, your dreams of wood crosman furniture can come true! you wouldn't get the fun of woodworking then, though. some do come unfinished so you could do the last half of the work, i suppose.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Scope; which specifically is a bit ??? Fundamentally I want to make something I can sit on my folks porch and plink at 100+ yards with for a few hours at a time for cheap, as a tool for getting good at wind calling and accuracy consistency.

wind is the tough one there. from doing a lot of shooting out to about 50yds with my weirauch, i imagine trying to get a 13xx to behave without a longer barrel would be a fun challenge.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

knuthgrush posted:

wind is the tough one there. from doing a lot of shooting out to about 50yds with my weirauch, i imagine trying to get a 13xx to behave without a longer barrel would be a fun challenge.

So my goal is to tune it to 8-900fps with relatively heavy pellets (I mean, whatever proves most accurate, but think adjustable regulator) out of a basically-max-length Lothar Walther blank; call it 22"... but yeah, having it be a challenge is kind of the point. I want to get halfway decent at long range precision stuff but long ranges take some driving and such. 100 yards with an airgun though? I can do that off my parent's porch.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Somebody Awful posted:

UMC Pioner? You can get the piston out with a screwdriver and a dowel, but I don't remember exactly how the seal attaches to it. FWIW the seal on mine is kinda ragged but it still had enough power and accuracy that relatives found it effective for pest control. (They eventually got a scoped Ruger for that.)

Old disassembly guide I wrote when I got mine: part 1 part 2

Ah ha. Thatís it. Thanks for that.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

I was thinking about chopping the barrel of my QB78 since I hear the barrel is too long and actually slows down the pellets. I don't really have proper tools for crowning, nor a chrono to actually test with so meh

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

I was thinking about chopping the barrel of my QB78 since I hear the barrel is too long and actually slows down the pellets. I don't really have proper tools for crowning, nor a chrono to actually test with so meh

would a hacksaw be sufficient if you cut straight?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

Iíd think so, itís more getting an even bevel on the inside edge of the barrel seems to require specialized tools. Maybe could get away with a steady hand and a file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just get a crowning tool. They're pretty cheap.

There are ways to use a metal sphere (bb's are a common choice, as are ball bearings if a bb is too small) and polishing compound to do the same thing, but honestly the actual tools are pretty cheap.

I recrowned a .22 pistol years ago and I think even splurging a bit on a nice handle for the crown cutting head it all came in under $30.