Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can I post in here for the next few hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Madrigal reminds me of early career Jose Altuve. That's a really good player to have!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have legitimately never seen a team firesale so quickly than the Cubs did. Feels like a massive middle finger to their fanbase.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm the dude on the left just in awe at the lack of fucks the Ricketts have.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

1998 Marlins.

This may honestly be worse than that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ah, yes...I remember the dark days of the Astros, where I paid attention to minor league scores far more than major league scores. Top 30 prospects for the organization? Child's play - I'd look at the top 120 and see how they were doing.

I do not miss those days at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It really goes to show just how awful that Heyward contract is. Imagine the Cubs if that money was given for a reliable solid starter instead.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So some perspective:

Alfonso Soriano - 7 years, 8.2 bWAR. Contract was 8 years, 136 million. In 2013 he was traded back to the Yankees for basically free.
Jason Heyward - 6 years, 9.7 bWAR. Contract is 8 years, 184 million and runs through 2023.

I think they're both awful contracts but I'd argue the Heyward one is worse due to the money being significantly higher and happening during the peak of Cubs contention. The Cubs weren't great during the Soriano contract and didn't hurt them too much, while the Heyward contract clearly hamstrung them (Note: Really shouldn't have, Cubs are a rich franchise luxury tax is a joke blah blah blah) and prevented them from making some critical changes elsewhere. The Quintana trade obviously was a very poor one in hindsight but at least is somewhat defensible. The Heyward signing, in my opinion, is the worst thing the Cubs did during their window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look man I only focus on facts and logic. There's no conclusive data on sWAR out there.

Edit: Fun article from 2019:

https://www.cubshq.com/cubs-baseball/update/espn-ranks-jason-heywards-contract-the-worst-on-cubs-25892

""I know Cubs fans would put this No. 1." ESPN.com. "It's not. Heyward isn't as useless as some of the players listed here, but the length of the deal and the remaining dollars certainly are an issue. He eats up a large chunk of the payroll, and that could have ramifications down the road -- say in 2022 when Kris Bryant and Javier Baez become free agents."