Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Ricketts suck. Since they didn't want to spend enough to make the team better, tearing it apart was the only way to go. Here comes another 3ish years of sucking and maybe they decide to spend money again. Glad I went to a game on Wednesday and saw the team before it was dismantled.

I hope that hotel was worth it Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Peanuts here! Get your baseball team for peanuts here! Cheaper on the outside.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

https://youtu.be/UofYl3dataU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

All in on the Dogs

Chicago’s north side team

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I am not giving up hope that the Cubs are doomed to be bad forever as long as the Ricketts own the team, but they have definitely moved into a tank window. I wouldn't expect much until 2024 at the earliest. I will say that the Ricketts definitely aren't interested in being a perennial top 5 spender like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Boston. For as long as they own the team I think we're going to see them go in 4-5 year swings as they load up prospects, and then unload everyone as they finish their rookie contracts.

With them owning so much of Wrigleyville, it actually does motivate them to put out a good team. Yea a lot of people will still show up, but attendance will still be down if they suck. They had 2.6 million in 2013 & 14, but that shot up to almost 3.2 million in 2016, 17 and 18.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The front office definitely had some moves that made sense, but didn't pan out. Like Darvish was injured most of his first year, and very average his second year. If the 2018 Cubs had the 2020 version of Darvish, then they probably aren't stuck in the play-in game that they lost to Milwaukee. Heyward, unfortunately, has been not good at the plate nearly his entire time here.

The FO approach at relievers has been bad though. Seems like most years they go out and find whoever they can on the junk pile and hope they pan out. Not surprising when most of them turn out to be bad. They also failed to find good free agents for weak spots on offense, I assume because they didn't want to spend the money. Another bat from the FA market would have helped when the main 4 of Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, and Contreras weren't hitting. Some of this I guess the FO expected some prospects to step up and then they just didn't pan out, like Almora and Happ, but then they also refused to move on and find a better alternative.

I get why they hung onto Schwarber after 2016, but that turned out to be a bad move. They probably could've traded him to an AL team looking for a good DH hitter and gotten a good return. Instead he got planted in LF and he proceeded to be fairly average all around.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do over the next few years, either they reload and follow the game plan when the Ricketts first arrived, or they just aim for that "sweet spot" of being competitive, but never good enough to win a WS.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Heyward turning into a pumpkin the minute he got to Chicago definitely dragged the team down. Reminded me of the Soriano contract.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I didn’t mean to say that Soriano was as bad as Heyward, but it was definitely a huge contract for not nearly enough production.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s MLB, it’s drat hard to win a World Series without spending a good chunk of money in free agency. Playing moneyball like the Athletics or other small market teams is just the owners being cheap.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Going to see the best baseball team in Chicagoland tonight. That’s right, I’m seeing the Dogs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Their attendance in 2017 was like 600k more than 2013, so I assume they made more money. The real “problem” is that even their worst years, they’ll get over 2 million people into Wrigley. So there’s a pretty high floor compared to other teams.

The Cubs had a payroll of just $68 million in 13 vs. $178 million in 17. It definitely pays better for the Cubs to be cheap and lose.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Trip report, the Dogs won, and they let a kid who got over cancer run the bases after the 3rd. God I love independent ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I don’t think so. It was Squeeze the Mustard’s birthday, so maybe he was being kind.