Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Why don't you have a Crosman 1322 ("Medalist") or 1377 ("American Classic") yet? Look, these things are endlessly modable, inexpensive, and super fun to shoot. They've been around since 1977 and they're rad.

Why pay $50 on a pump gun and trick it out with flame paint and spinners? Because it's a solid platform. You don't have to drag around air, it's lightweight, and you can vary the pressure to your liking. Slap a steel breech on the thing and you can over-pressurize to your heart's desire. Hell, you can even get weed-camo bags for your stock! :chanpop:

So I don't just copy and paste, here's some solid info on wikipedia (which seems to omit the newer 1322 models that come pre-packaged with a stock, eye-pro, pellets, and a little pellet pouch:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosman_1377
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosman_1322

Finally, here's my 1322 and 1377. The former is a newer model with a few mods I mentioned in the airgun smithing thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975028) and the latter is one from my youth, which I suspect to be a phase 2 1377 because of its rear cocking mechanism.

Put your pumps up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

This is the gun I learned to shoot on, and the gun that destroyed multiple GI Joes in my backyard. I have a camelcamelcamel alert set for it and should really just buy one again to add to my drum of airguns.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is the steel breech installation as foolproof as it looks? I've had a 1377 for years that I really want to like, but the barrel is so loose in the breech that you can see it wobble back and forth when you shake the pistol.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

If I see the 1377 go on sale at some point, I might pick one up. They do look pretty fun. It'll keep my Beeman P17 company.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stealie72 posted:

This is the gun I learned to shoot on, and the gun that destroyed multiple GI Joes in my backyard. I have a camelcamelcamel alert set for it and should really just buy one again to add to my drum of airguns.

i still wreck plastic army men with it on the regular. plastic soldiers, beverage cans, and playing cards are my favorite targets for the 1322 (and 1377).

Dip Viscous posted:

Is the steel breech installation as foolproof as it looks? I've had a 1377 for years that I really want to like, but the barrel is so loose in the breech that you can see it wobble back and forth when you shake the pistol.

yeah not much to it at all, took me maybe half an hour and i was being careful. the only "issue" was just lining things up properly. it's an easy gun to work on. while you're in there, polish up the sear and get a better trigger break.

you can get upgraded barrels for them for reasonable prices. if it's kinda wonky, why not trick it out?

tarlibone posted:

If I see the 1377 go on sale at some point, I might pick one up. They do look pretty fun. It'll keep my Beeman P17 company.

boy i love my p17 but it is a hand eater... i've pinched myself so many times trying to close it. i now put a dish towel over it when i load it just to avoid spilling blood. i put a bigly utg red dot on it (i forget the model, was like $40 or something) using a picatinny adapter and had a ball with it. it's silly accurate. it's also fun and goofy to prop it up on a monopod with that dot. ragged holes all day long.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

How's the accuracy on the 1322 and how difficult are they to pump?

I've got a Marauder Pistol and Rifle, but it's a pain to lug them around and I'd kind of like something I could keep at my parents' house since they're on a semi-wooded lot and I've got a lifetime sportsman's license in their state.
I imagine my dad would enjoy shooting it, but he's had shoulder reconstruction and limited mobility/ability to apply force in one arm.

Edit: It looks like max kinetic energy for that thing is just under 7 foot pounds which probably makes it just a plinker in my case, but I bet it'd still be fun.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 2, 2021

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

poeticoddity posted:

How's the accuracy on the 1322 and how difficult are they to pump?

I've got a Marauder Pistol and Rifle, but it's a pain to lug them around and I'd kind of like something I could keep at my parents' house since they're on a semi-wooded lot and I've got a lifetime sportsman's license in their state.
I imagine my dad would enjoy shooting it, but he's had shoulder reconstruction and limited mobility/ability to apply force in one arm.

Edit: It looks like max kinetic energy for that thing is just under 7 foot pounds which probably makes it just a plinker in my case, but I bet it'd still be fun.

My 1377 is older but it's dead if I do my part. Pumping isn't so bad but it can certainly wear you out. My son was able to use it when he was 8 without much trouble. I typically do between 6-10 pumps depending on distance and wind. The pump lever it comes with is good enough to get the job done, just don't let it flex side to side when you work it. There's a mess of aftermarket grips you can put on them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nioh here again online black belt weapon expert. why don't you have a stock stash yet? lol are you poor or something? is your constitution too weak to handle snacks seasoned with lead? you'll need the space for your throwing daggers when the squirrels close in and you can't work the pump arm quickly enough.

seriously though, when i found that weed themed camo bag mentioned earlier, it seemed like a cool idea so i got the "khaki" (closer to OD green) option. really pleased with it and dude hand-wrote me a thank you note for my order. good stuff. I'd wager one could fit a tin of pellets in here and maybe some pelgun oil or the like. it also doesn't seem like something slow boated from ali-express. does say made in the usa on it for whatever that's worth but it looks really well crafted.