Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

12:30 posted:

"I just like flowing capes."

:hai: Capes and cloaks are the coolest.

In regards to Blood Veil attacks, I think there is a spike variant as well where the character surrounds themselves with spikes and stabs an enemy multiple times. I think that was a Blood Veil move. It might have been a counter, as well.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The butterfly is a very rude first boss and I remember having a lot of difficulties beating it.

Regarding the halberd I came to love using them but that is only later when you get the class and skills to make it shine.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Update on last page.

Also the bonus is marked as private.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Update on last page.

Also the bonus is marked as private.

God dammit :negative: Fixed

Hunt11 posted:

The butterfly is a very rude first boss and I remember having a lot of difficulties beating it.

I'm not kidding when I said I cursing up a storm in discord over the beating she was giving me. I swear I spent like 2 hours on her my first time playing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She's a good way to force the player to learn to mix and match stuff though. I didn't beat her until I figured out I could put Coco's anti-venom stuff into Yakumo's tankiness. An important lesson to learn

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That stupid rear end in a top hat boss made me put the game on extended haitus.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The butterfly can be hard, but also not that hard. Yakumo is often able to deplete most of its life-bar by himself, if not all of it. I've had one encounter with it where I lost all regenerations during the first 1/3 of the boss's life and then stayed back until Yakumo killed it.

This brings me to one of my complaints of this game, the partners. The game is too easy with them and to hard without them IMO. With partners, a lot of enemies just disappear and there is a lot of randomness in how helpful they are against bosses. A lot of tactics available are also disrupted by the partners, for example, using a gift like Blazing Roar to take out a strategic target will more often than not be useless. Chance is the partner either attacks said target, making the gift a wasteful overkill, or handles the rest of the enemies, leaving the strategic target more or less alone and now easy to handle, also making the gift use unnecessary as the enemy is not much of a threat alone.

Without partners, most of the game is manageable, but invasions are unfair against solo players and a lot of bosses will be harder than Bloodborne's Orphan of Kos. You also have too few regenerations and enemies have too much balance (poise). I would guess that less than 25% of all enemies can by staggered by a single light sword attack (as opposed to over 75% in Dark Souls and Bloodborne) and in the last half of the game, don't expect the greatswords to stagger them quickly either.

The game has an interesting story with the levy system. Unfortunately, the main character just experienced it for just one dungeon and then Louis pulled her out. The whole blood shortage problem has been pushed to the side. While costly, Louis was nevertheless able to afford to just hand over a bag of blood beads because he is a genius with ways to find blood springs unavailable to others and has a band of badasses available (even Coco's blood-code easily beats every earlier bloodcode in terms of stats total, save for Louis' code, and hers is probably the weakest of the band). As much as he is trying to solve the blood shortage, said shortage is n longer a problem for the main character. The story was far more interesting when she was in the midst of basically slavers than after she joined up with Louis.

However, what I do think is great about this game is the idea of restoring magic by hitting enemies in melee. This allows the player to strategically take out threats from afar, but can not get away from having to go close and personal. In Demon Souls, your MP will eventually just determine when you need to snort one of your 50+ spices and ends up being more an inconvenience than a limitation. If you do it like Dark Souls and don't allow magic to replenish between bonfires, you do have a limitation, but said limitation is hard to control as dungeon length and attunement may vary greatly. With Code Vein's system, the developers have a far better control over how much gift use the player has access to and it does not matter if the dungeon is long or short.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I like this game pretty well, but the plot does get too anime way too quickly, and because it sort of continually escalates the amount of anime gets kinda out of hand.

I will say that the first time I played, the cocoon was too obviously the way to progress, so I ended up going a different route out of long habit, all the way to the end of it. This also resulted in problems with a different enemy, which I'm sure the thread will be able to talk about in due time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thing is I actually kind of like the plot, especially in a meta sense.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Hunt11 posted:

Thing is I actually kind of like the plot, especially in a meta sense.

I like the potential it has, but that's something we can't discuss until the very end of the game.

Other than that, I think it mainly just needed a little bit more focus on certain elements. Like Crystalgate said, it brings in some plot points that it never fully explores or uses, like the Blood Bead levy thing or the human blood farming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm running behind on finishing the video, but I'd like to mention that Code Vein is on sale for 75% off!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I can see that there's a little mess of apparently unloved DLCs that I have trouble making sense of.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

SIGSEGV posted:

I can see that there's a little mess of apparently unloved DLCs that I have trouble making sense of.

It's basically three bosses that sort of require you to exploit either the system or your patience to It's fullest. They're kinda fun but not fun like the other bosses are and pretty sparse otherwise.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Imagine you get a Bloodborne DLC which consists of extra Chalice dungeons with extra bosses and very little else.

Code Vein is a game with a lot of underused potential and after playing it, I never felt I wanted a DLC, I want a Code Vein 2 that fixes the problems of Code Vein and better utilizes its strengths.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dried Trenches 1

Louis doesn't like it when he is denied his kills. I also show off some of the depths. Also we finally get to see those elevator physics.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 29, 2021

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You're not going to turn of the extra long backstab animations?

Anyway, the depths are mostly good for quickly farming upgrade materials and awakenings. Just pick the weakest boss that drops what you want and kill it over and over. It can be handy if you want either a wide variety of weapons, or a lot of skills from bloodcodes you don't want to use.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

Also we finally get to see those elevator physics.

:magical: it's everything I could have imagined and more.

[generic low-budget *dramatic violin music* intensifies]

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This video made me really appreciate how important sound and music design for your dramatic scenes is.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
There's certainly some enjoyment to be had in how oblivious Code Vein is to it's own silliness.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

You're not going to turn of the extra long backstab animations?

I'll do it next video. That is, the one after this video

Bonus: Depths 1

NGDB and I go through 2 of the depths together. You can get a little sneak peek on what can be used in the future.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dried Up Trenches 2

Today I show off the rest of the dried up trenches that I really should've just went for the boss and called it good.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Related to the conversation at 7:25 about hidden stuff in games:

I think about that a lot. It used to be that game Easter eggs and secrets and hidden stuff would be discovered by somebody and then circulate through word of mouth or obscure web forums. I'd like to imagine that developers at the time would be excited and eager after a game released to see how long it would take for somebody to find it and for people to start sharing the news and trying to verify it or disprove it. Then you'd be waiting to see how far the discovery would spread across the gaming community.

It used to be especially exciting since there were so many schoolyard rumours out there about things you could unlock or find in games that the discovery of a legitimate secret would probably be met with skepticism from friends. Bigfoot in San Andreas, reviving Aerith in FFVII by using the Underwater Materia, Mew under the truck in Pokemon Red/Blue, etc. Then you've got the legit stuff like the "You weren't supposed to be able to get here you know" and the Ghost Town from GTA3.

But nowadays, anything like that is, as you said, usually discovered and plastered all over Youtube and gaming news sites within hours or days of the game getting released. People will get a hold of early copies and datamine everything to the point that everything is known almost as soon as you've opened your copy. You could say "Well, don't look that stuff up if you don't want it spoiled", but it is incredibly hard to do that and also still engage with your hobby online.

I miss a lot of that fun from before the internet exploded from a mainly hobbyist thing into the societal necessity it is now.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is one part of the final cutscene that does feel a bit weird to me upon playing through the game again but that is very much a discussion for later.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Psycho Knight posted:

Related to the conversation at 7:25 about hidden stuff in games:

I think about that a lot. It used to be that game Easter eggs and secrets and hidden stuff would be discovered by somebody and then circulate through word of mouth or obscure web forums. I'd like to imagine that developers at the time would be excited and eager after a game released to see how long it would take for somebody to find it and for people to start sharing the news and trying to verify it or disprove it. Then you'd be waiting to see how far the discovery would spread across the gaming community.

It used to be especially exciting since there were so many schoolyard rumours out there about things you could unlock or find in games that the discovery of a legitimate secret would probably be met with skepticism from friends. Bigfoot in San Andreas, reviving Aerith in FFVII by using the Underwater Materia, Mew under the truck in Pokemon Red/Blue, etc. Then you've got the legit stuff like the "You weren't supposed to be able to get here you know" and the Ghost Town from GTA3.

But nowadays, anything like that is, as you said, usually discovered and plastered all over Youtube and gaming news sites within hours or days of the game getting released. People will get a hold of early copies and datamine everything to the point that everything is known almost as soon as you've opened your copy. You could say "Well, don't look that stuff up if you don't want it spoiled", but it is incredibly hard to do that and also still engage with your hobby online.

I miss a lot of that fun from before the internet exploded from a mainly hobbyist thing into the societal necessity it is now.

When FF14 released Pagos they wanted it to be more like FF11 with not directly telling you what you need to do and you should work together with your fellow players to learn what to do next.

Before the servers went back online people data mined the patch and had a post on reddit on what to do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

On the other hand, there's maybe some sense of gratification in seeing people put that much effort into looking at what you do.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Leal posted:

When FF14 released Pagos they wanted it to be more like FF11 with not directly telling you what you need to do and you should work together with your fellow players to learn what to do next.

Before the servers went back online people data mined the patch and had a post on reddit on what to do.

That's my biggest complaint about 14. Everyone expects you to have studied, not watched, a complete video guide of every dungeon and boss fight before you attempt it. There is no mystery or discovery anymore, unless you like getting screeched at by assholes who are only there to farm loot or do their daily roulettes.

SIGSEGV posted:

On the other hand, there's maybe some sense of gratification in seeing people put that much effort into looking at what you do.

I guess, but having that be one or two hardcore fans seems a little less gratifying than a bunch of people discovering it naturally.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Psycho Knight posted:

That's my biggest complaint about 14. Everyone expects you to have studied, not watched, a complete video guide of every dungeon and boss fight before you attempt it. There is no mystery or discovery anymore, unless you like getting screeched at by assholes who are only there to farm loot or do their daily roulettes.

? That's not true at all, outside of the Extreme/Savage fights every single dungeon and trial is designed so that any given group can go into it blind.

I went in completely blind, as a tank or healer, to every post-ARR group content. I have never watched a guide for regular content.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

I mean fwiw from what I have heard from my niece kids still are making up weird stuff about their games and spreading them around, stuff like herobrine and rainbow diamonds in Minecraft. You probably just don't see them as much because you're not like 8 and will believe stuff like that anymore.

My niece is 12 and shes already asking me "My friend says if you do xyz in Minecraft you get rainbow diamonds, that's not real is it? :raise:"

Xun fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 7, 2021

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

bewilderment posted:

? That's not true at all, outside of the Extreme/Savage fights every single dungeon and trial is designed so that any given group can go into it blind.

I went in completely blind, as a tank or healer, to every post-ARR group content. I have never watched a guide for regular content.

You had a vastly different experience than me and my friend, then. If you weren't skipping cutscenes and didn't know exactly what mobs to pull and where, then you got bitched at or had people quitting mid-dungeon. It's the entire reason I never went back to 14 after Heavensward interqual content.

Even now, my friend is attempting to get back into it by plowing through everything until the NPC dungeons are available, so that he can actually relax and enjoy playing again. I haven't decided yet if I'll do the same.

Xun posted:

I mean fwiw from what I have heard from my niece kids still are making up weird stuff about their games and spreading them around, stuff like herobrine and rainbow diamonds in Minecraft. You probably just don't see them as much because you're not like 8 and will believe stuff like that anymore.

My niece is 12 and shes already asking me "My friend says if you do xyz in Minecraft you get rainbow diamonds, that's not real is it? :raise:"

I won't discount the likelihood that age has ruined my sense of wonder. It is very possible.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 7, 2021

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
This episode was perhaps slightly painful, mainly because it made me remember my first time through the area. It can get pretty tedious trying to find what you've missed in your explorations, especially since so much of the area kinda just ends up looking the same. While I do like the feel of much of the games areas, it does tend to kinda overuse assets sometimes (obviously the depths are particularly bad about this.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I didn't much mind this area when playing, but oh man did I hate the next one. Talk about a horrible maze

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Howling Pit 1

Vestiges 2 (Note this vestige video doesn't do any of the vestiges collected in this update, was supposed to go with the last update but I blanked on it)

Ya know I thought this game had a good translation but that is CLEARLY a donut :mad:

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 11, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have ever successfully reached the bottom without depending on my partner to revive me after going splat on the floor.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think I have ever successfully reached the bottom without depending on my partner to revive me after going splat on the floor.
You can get down the shaft in one piece and grab all three shinies on the way, but most likely you will still be taking some damage.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
last time I played multiplayer extensively, about 1/3 times I was summoned it was to help people navigate the howling pit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I was looking up what the loot was in that pit and a lot of the search results were of people asking how to get to the bottom. Pretty much all of them were "just jump and have your bud revive you."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Howling Pits 2

Vestiges 3

This game rules

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Aww, yes! Once Cutscene Hell ends next episode we'll finally get to a "fan favourite" area of the game!

I got the game during the recent sale because of this thread and finished my first playthrough this weekend.
Now I'm beating my head against the dlc content and the postgame trials, which are a real step up from the final area!

And it turns out I am one of those weak 2-H Player who relies on buddying up with Yakubro to either bury enemies under an avalanche of steel or cower behind my fortified Zweihänder.
Though, admittedly 100% physical damage reduction on a guard is a hell of a drug.

I love how the game just tosses you so many options for builds and changing things up on the fly by giving you a ton of codes and gifts and telling to to go hog wild!

And I really appreciate that I don't have to experience the hardcore souls experience of repeatedly failing at an encounter that is too hard for me on my lonesome if I don't want to.

Leal posted:

I was looking up what the loot was in that pit and a lot of the search results were of people asking how to get to the bottom. Pretty much all of them were "just jump and have your bud revive you."

I never hit the bottom walkway when I missed the jump fall and just died in the bottomless pit. Several times in fact!

And don't bother it's low level stuff that I only got because my OCD yells at me that I MUST pick up all the shinies.
It took me about 5 trips down the hole to get them all and the time is literally better spent doing anything else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This boss is especially rough if you decide to face it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

This boss is especially rough if you decide to face it first.

She really is. Because I've been well trained by video games, my first time through the game I sussed that rescuing the sadly nameless girl was the path forward in the game, so I decided to explore all the alternate paths right to their end, which of course led me down into the howling pit and right into that boss. Not that the butterfly gave me much less problem.