Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Oh god yes, Code Vein, aka the best Souls-like game. I absolutely loved the hell out of this game, and I hate Souls-likes.

Slaan posted:

Game is good and fun but definitely has issues. First Souls like I actually beat, too. I think making it super easy to switch builds certainly was a major improvement for the genre

Other improvements include: Less dark, oppressive architecture and level design, vibrant colors, an overall aesthetic that isn't reminiscent of gothic baroque paintings, thoroughly enjoyable level design that isn't all slog, a difficulty curve that doesn't slam a sledgehammer into your face...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
The one that really stops everybody is the two-for-one boss in my experience. 90% of the time when I'd answer a call for help it was those two numbnuts and I'd have to break out my one-shot build because gently caress those guys.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Oh man yes, the spells in this game are so good, some of the later spells you can pick up are amazing and amazingly fun to use.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I was always more a fan of 1h swords, light armors, and heavy spell use. Hell, the one-shot build that was popular for a while used 1h swords, a fuckton of buffs, plus a certain companion's buff to basically one-shot everything. Then they nerfed it.

One of the best crutches the game has, too, is the Zweihander, available very early on, since its block stops 90% of all damage, upping to 100% with the Fortification upgrade path. You could easily learn and clear the game using it, and since it has good scaling, it remains even a decent endgame weapon.