Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Alanis Winthrop, the Serpentine

I walked into the room, tea in hand, in a bad mood to begin with even before Preston managed to open his mouth. Uncle Sean from Atlanta was visiting, and Grandfather wanted the whole family gathered to deal with the issue of Danielle and Sammuel's kid. It is completely not my issue, but as the heir apparent I'm supposed to be there. it promises to be incredibly awkward, and I can see more than a few heads rolling (and I'm not yet sure if I simply mean it in a metaphorical sense here either. Grandfather is a vicious old serpent.)

All of that was before I heard about the party that was happening at Jerry's place. Parties aren't really a thing that I particularly enjoy, usually because people- even people I don't even know- seem to avoid me or cling close to me because of my name, hoping for clout and fame or infame. At the same time though, they let me cut loose a little bit more, as Grandfather's influence is nowhere near as prevalent. Though Sammuel being in town definitely puts a damper on the whole thing, considering the last time he was here.

Still, this was all compounded by Preston spewing absolute drivel from his mouth even before I take off this new trendy fall coat I was wearing. Seeing some of my classmates looking at the interaction, I take a sip of tea and smile coldly.

"Preston, I think you need to keep praying a little harder. Maybe some day an angel will take pity on you."

Alanis Winthrop (Berenzen) — Today at 10:15 PM
Shutting Preston down
!2d6+1
# 11
Details:[2d6+1 (5 5)]

Giving Preston the condition Humiliated and marking experience for rolling cold

quote:

Alanis Winthrop
Serpentine

Harm [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] Experience 1/5

Hot 2 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark -1

Moves:

Falling Dynasty:
In the age of serpents,your family was powerful and prolific. Now they live in a shadow of their former glory. They want to regain their old wealth.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience

Mesermizing:
When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain the condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the condition dazed.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, they become part of the Failing Dynasty (and subject to the move's mechanics)

Darkest Self:
You aren't ever going to be the person that your family wants you to be. You can't live with their shame and insanity any longer. You need to escape your current identity, go into hiding, or run the gently caress away. You need to threaten or hobble anyone who would keep you in these familial chains. You escape your Darkest Self when you rejoin your family, or you shed your past life and integrate into a new family.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 1| Conditions:| Location: Homeroom

Rolling my eyes at Ariana's attempt at flirting- the awkward girl approach works, I guess- I take my coat off and finish my tea. Putting Preston out of my mind, I turn to Mordecai.

"Hey Mordecai, you headed to Jerry's party tonight? I might end up being a bit late, but it'll be nice to have some sort of idea of what's going on before I arrive. Don't want to be showing up if everyone's already started to break off from the party for their own amusements." I glance at Eve and Ariana briefly before snapping my attention back to Mordecai. Sure it was petty, but getting the rumour mill starting was always a good way of getting me into a better mood.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

"Don't worry, I can deal with Jerry. You should come though, it'll help build your rep back up. Bit of advice though, girl-to-guy? You might want to cut back on drinking all those 'aged-approved drinks', no girl likes dancing with someone that's loose limbed from drink." I cut off as T.K. approaches. I look the boy up and down appreciably before meeting his eyes. I can see some of why of the other girls in the school have been crushing on him, he was sort of handsome if you were into that whole dark, gloomy and broody look. I open my mouth to greet him- I still need to figure out what the gently caress he was doing spraying that weird-rear end symbol on our property- when the world decided that the corner of the room I was in needed even more drama. Suddenly, that bad mood that I was starting to molt was threatening to come back with a passion.

"I'll be right back, I'll go talk with Jerry while the latest edition of Degrassi decides to begin here." I snip as I get out of my desk and head over to Jeremiah's.

"Hey Jerry, I heard that someone's donated all of the drinks at the party," I sideeye Preston rummaging around in his bag, "I do hope that won't be a problem if I decide to show up. We've been friends for years, and I hope that one boy's futile persistance in chasing me won't let that come between us." I give him my most winning smile, and think perfect.

quote:

Manipulate Jeremiah
# 11
Details:[2d6+2 # (5 4)]

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 4, 2021

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

"Thanks a bunch Jerry! See you there." All finished up, I started to head back to my seat. The back left corner of the room was on the verge of getting a dressing down, and even if it wasn't to fully degenerate into absolute chaos, it was still worth watching with a front row seat. Returning, I smile at T.K. who seemed to be finished up with Joanna, and still at the back of the room.

"T.K., you doing ok? You seem tired. Have you been having a bunch of late night liasons?" I tease hoping to maybe get a bit of information about what the hell that tag he was putting up was. Plus I managed to con a favour out of him for letting him tag our property, and it's best to know what his limits were. Taking a seat, I start to split my attention between him and the drama that Marko was desperately trying to defuse.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Normally, I didn't mind T.K. He is usually quiet and keeps to himself, but between him trespassing and this... I hesitate to call it flirting because it's so atrociously bad, I was beginning to lose my patience with him. With Mr. Kelsey leaving the room with Ariana, the whole situation with Billy and Marko was going to explode. Best to shut this down before it gets out of control.

"You are trespassing on dangerous ground, T.K." I say, caught off guard from his assertiveness, "you don't want to get caught out, do you? You might find yourself wholly out of your depth. You'll find yourself landing in pitfalls you have no desire to be in"

Shut Down T.K.
# 4
Details:[2d6+1 # (2 1)]

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

quote:

quote:
Using Uncanny Voices - Giving Russ a String in order to realize a secret about Alanis. Alanis will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

One of Alanis' greatest fears is losing her autonomy of self to her grandfather. She fears that the further that her grandfather coils around her, the more that she will lose any sort of grasp on her humanity.

T.K. seems to have gotten the message, but I'm still seething inside. I take a breath and try to calm down. T.K. is still hanging around though, staring at me with almost a furious intensity. It's almost like he's trying to peer into my soul, and it's getting to levels beyond uncomfortable. And it's not like I'm going to be able to have a half-decent conversation with Mordecai, who seemed to be burying his attention into his phone. Great, now I'm gonna have to try to coax Mordecai out of his shell again. And it's going to be even harder now considering what I just said to T.K.

"I don't think you did receive the message, T.K. considering you're still here, acting like a total loving creep." I hiss, "Get. Lost."

quote:

Spending a string on T.K. to give him the condition Creep

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

With T.K. gone, I relax a little. I turn around to Mordecai, who is still trying to desperately ignore the entire exchange between the creep and I. I force a smile to my face and turn to him.

"Anyway, I managed to get myself sorted for Jerry's party. I still think you should come though. It'll take work, but building up your reputation again will be good for you. Get your name back out there, and don't let one mistake define the rest of your high school career. Just take the advice I was giving you earlier, and you'll be fine."

Attempting to help get Mordecai's rep back up could only do good things for me. Either he was successful, and feels favourable towards me, or he fucks up and it's not like it's skin off my back. I'm seen doing the charitable work of trying to help him out and if I play it right it right, I shouldn't really face any real consequences of his gently caress ups.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 1| Conditions:| Location: Outside School

Ring

I look at the cellphone ringing in my hands, and see the word 'Father' come to light on the screen. When was the last time that relationship ever been true? Had it ever? Even when grandfather was in retirement, there was always that pressure, that cold examination. At least while Father was sober. When he was drunk, he did nothing but bask in the solariums, lazing around, expecting other people to do the work for him. Still, he's my Father, and I've just wanted him to step into this role for a little bit.

Ring

I debate the merits of just hanging up, and what the consequences might be. It's not really Father calling, it was really Grandfather, using Father's voice. Ever since I became the the chosen successor, Father's been borderline avoiding me. The fact that he's calling me means that Grandfather is pressuring him, trying to get us to connect as father and daughter, something he knows that I desperately want. To tie another familial string around me, to bind me closer and tighter. If I hang up, I'll get looks of disappointment and a small talking to through the transparent lie that I'll tell. That lie that we both know is false, but we're willing to ignore, as part of this tug of war over my own autonomy. But hanging up also comes with the consequence of that potential for a relationship with Father eroding away.

Ri-

gently caress me, but Grandfather is good, I can't really ignore this. I press the green button, put the phone up to my ear and answer, putting a smile onto my face and injecting a little bit of brightness into my voice, "Hello, Father."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 1| Conditions:| Location: Outside class

"I'll be home soon. I know what Grandfather's preferences are." I pause, "Dinner sounds fantastic, though! Mother's cooking is always fantastic, and she always goes all out when she gets the chance to entertain guests. I'd love to!"

I go silent, pondering for a second, knowing that Father's word probably won't do a lot, but might give me a bit more backing when I talk to Grandfather. I sigh inwardly and decide to pull the trigger, feeling guilty as I do so.

"Do you think there might be any way that I could get your support at leaving the meeting a little early? Some of my friends were planning on hanging out tonight, and I would prefer to go. They know that I might be a bit late, but I'd like to still be able to maintain a social life outside of the family."

I start thinking about arguments that I could make to Grandfather, even with some support I need to be convincing in order to allow Grandfather to relent.

quote:

Manipulate Father
# 8
Details:[2d6+2(5 1)]

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 1| Conditions:| Location: Outside class

With Father's reply I take a second to think. Honesty is probably best, it's not like they don't know there's going to be a party at Jerry's house. Or if they don't, they will by tomorrow. Plus, lying will just complicate the relationship between Father and I even more.

"It's mostly going to be hanging out and chatting, maybe a little bit of dancing. I know how to be safe if things get out of control, Father." I smile a wry smile as I continue, "I just want to take some time to let me be me. This whole thing with Danielle and Sammuel puts me in a weird position as well, considering that she's a classmate; and while we're not friends- Sammuel has definitely seen to that- I still like her a lot more than him."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 2| Conditions:| Location: Outside class

"Don't worry Father. I'll be fine, doing something that would embarrass the family would harm my reputation here anyway." I state the blatant obviousness, "I'll see you tonight at dinner."

With that, I hang up the phone and sit down on the bench outside the school. At least I might have an ally if Grandfather doesn't want me going to the party. I lean back, listening to the whispering of the conversations around the school and the susserations of the autumnal wind and think of what to say when the inevitable confrontation with Grandfather happens.

quote:

what to do about Grandfather (Peer into the Abyss- Dark)
# 4
Details:[2d6-1 # (1 4)]

marking exp for rolling dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harm 0 | Exp 2| Conditions:| Location: Outside class

Dinner's going well, if a bit awkward, considering the company and the fact it's the first time we've eaten as a family in a while. Honestly, it was nice to have a meal with everyone without the constant venom spitting around- sometimes literally.

Then Grandfather decided to open his mouth, and my meal went ashen in my mouth. I set my fork and knife down and paused for a second while I looked at my plate.

"I don't know Danielle super well, but she's honestly one my less problematic peers. That being said, she's a 17 year old pregnant teen in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. It's not like she has a support network outside of a couple friends and her family. But incriminating? I've never heard anything, aside from her poor judge of character." I shoot a glare at Sammuel- ok, I'll grant that some of that venom might have come from me.

I try to rein in my temper a bit. Grandfather won't have it, and maybe extending an olive branch in this case.

"I guess I can talk to her, but maybe if you weren't such a stubborn prick about all this we could have resolved this a lot earlier and with a lot more grace and certainty than trying to make backroom dealing with loving teenagers like we're trapped in some terrible mafioso movie."

Well that's that olive tree burned, I think as I bite my tongue hard as the words slip out of my mouth- obviously controlling my temper didn't work as well as I thought it did.

quote:

Manipulate Grandfather
"# 4
Details:[2d6+2 # (1 1)]