Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I bounced off Halt and Catch Fire when it was new because it seemed just so completely stone-faced serious; I had assumed from the title (which is a tongue-in-cheek fake assembly language CPU execution command, and the show never seemed about to explain that joke) that it would be a comedy. I guess Silicon Valley is what I really wanted.

Thought about trying again many times, it's always been sitting there in my up-next list, but since cutting the cord I don't have a way to watch it without spending extra.

I did a rewatch with my wife and she didn't like it after 2-3 episodes but she got hooked very soon after. She loved it and we have pretty varied tastes in shows. I hear you though, about having to sign up for a service for one show. gently caress that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

The full list
=============

So you didn't count my list?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man I forgot about Snake Juice :allears:

Actually legitimately surprised Parks and Rec is so relatively low.

I can think of a few reasons:

1. People choosing one Mike Schur show instead of both.
2. The small sample size makes it easy to have polling irregularities, you have one more person put it in their top 5 it jumps 15-20 spots, right?
3. SA has trended farther left over the past five years since the show ended, and there are people with leftist political viewpoints who see P&R as something that could only have worked in a pre-Trump landscape.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BSam posted:

So you didn't count my list?

Despite your effort to go back and capitalise it, no I did not

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you have an explanation for The Office? cause whilst it's one of the most popular shows on TV and had a massive following on this site, it didn't receive one vote. Was season 5ish when it started to go downhill?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GoutPatrol posted:

2. The small sample size makes it easy to have polling irregularities, you have one more person put it in their top 5 it jumps 15-20 spots, right?
3. SA has trended farther left over the past five years since the show ended, and there are people with leftist political viewpoints who see P&R as something that could only have worked in a pre-Trump landscape.

Parks and Rec had several bad seasons that everyone here seemed to hate, part of the reason the final season was so popular was that it came after a big slump and everyone expected it to be terrible.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Do you have an explanation for The Office? cause whilst it's one of the most popular shows on TV and had a massive following on this site, it didn't receive one vote. Was season 5ish when it started to go downhill?

I think only the last 2 seasons were eligible. I’ll definitely put it in my list for the Aughties poll.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Looten Plunder posted:

^Yeah, you can point to the decline of the Office basically starts in 2011, even before Carell left. All the best stuff was in the 2000s, whereas Mad Men is kinda split 50/50 between the decades and Breaking Bad has its best stuff all from the 2010s - it was a series that built and built up until the end.

As for P&R, I would say that 6&7 were weaker compared to what came before, but you could say the same for several other shows on this list (GOT?).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

If Jessica Jones had been a one and done it would have made my list for sure. That first season, though stretched out a little too much, was exceptional. Season 2 was bad and ended on such a lovely note that I never even bothered to watch season 3 :sigh:

This is why in retrospectives Daredevil ranks above Jessica, even when its season one vs season one. At the time Jessica Jones was ranked above Daredevil as it was more daring and topical, but because Daredevil managed to be the only Netflix Marvel show that didn't completley gently caress it up (they got close with the Elektra storyline in season two which was horrible) it means now when people rank them Daredevil always tops the list.

Also Fisk should've died at the end of season three and I'm still mad they chickened out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GoutPatrol posted:

Would also add recency bias to this -- Breaking Bad and Mad Men being notable exceptions, most of the shows near the top of the list were still airing as of 2019 or later.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was too late to finish my write up but i'll post the list now anyway

1. The Leftovers
2. Hannibal
3. Deutschland 83/86/89
4. Supernatural
5. Peaky Blinders
6. Mr. Robot
7. The Americans
8. Legion
9. Twin Peaks
10. Cobra Kai
11. I May Destroy You

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Good list OP, I just didn't have the energy to put this one together but I am pretty happy with the results.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Twin Peaks: The Return
BCS
Breaking Bad
Hannibal
Bojack Horseman
True Detective
Game of Thrones
Louie (It was phenomenal television, even though it's unwatchable now because of what a POS Louie is)
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bob's Burgers

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

escape artist posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return
BCS
Breaking Bad
Hannibal
Bojack Horseman
True Detective
Game of Thrones
Louie (It was phenomenal television, even though it's unwatchable now because of what a POS Louie is)
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bob's Burgers

Was. Louie died two weeks ago

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Louie Anderson is not Louis CK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its now ok to go back and rewatch louie, as long as youre mentally replacing ck with anderson in every scene