Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

True Detective:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think I liked Season 2 better than most people just because neo-noir is my favorite genre, but it had a decent cast and still wasted so much potential. If it had been a 1950s period piece, I think that would have improved it in every possible way, in most people's estimation -- especially with the closeted veteran motorcycle cop, whose plot ultimately went nowhere. It would have resonated more if he was a World War II veteran.

Season 1 is still one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen, period.

Yeah, the motorcycle cop storyline went nowhere and felt utterly redundant to the entire season, and I kept waiting for the reaction to the,"What if they find out I'm gay?" plotline to be,"Who could possibly give a poo poo?" - it absolutely felt like the character started in a version of a script that was a period piece, then it got updated to the modern day and they forgot to update the character too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

weeeelllllllll………

#2 Goon show of 2015 can't be wrong :hai:

Looten Plunder posted:

Don't stress, I'll inevitably push the deadline

Now you loving tell me :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Man, yeah True Detective Season 1 was so loving good, 2 was utterly bizarre (and NOT good!) and 3 ended up being solid but by that point the momentum/magic was gone.

Totally agreed. Season 3 technically deserves better but…...my heart just wasn’t in it.

And yeah, I didn’t like Jessica Jones s1. It has a LOT going for it, especially the performances, but the Netflix Marvel pacing was still out in full force and there were a lot of substories and the like I didn’t enjoy at all. Somewhere around about the third time they invented some contrived and/or inexplicable reason for Tennant to escape I just mentally checked out. But obviously it resonated with so so many people and that’s very cool. Hang on wait, is Arist reading this? I MEAN IT SUCKS poo poo I HATED IT

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Cutting it down the wire with my list

15 Sex House/Lake Dredge Appraisal/Porking Across America
I put these 3 together mainly because I feel like it felt almost like an anthology The Onion Youtube Channel was doing of these pastiches that just turned into surreal/unsettling horror. Rarity already said the piece on Sex House better than I could, Lake Dredge I found to be the funniest as someone who just likes deliberately low rent stuff, Porking Across America is one of the darkest black comedies of the 21st century and needs to be seen to believed.

14Jessica Jones
Season 1 is all I saw so it tells a pretty straightforward story and David Tennant is loving terrifying

13 Punisher
Again only really saw season 1, Punisher is a really strong show that goes out of it's way to not glorify Frank Castle which is unfortunately a hard tightrope to walk in adapting him.

12 Legend of Korra
Season 2 nonewithstanding, Korra is still a good show though wish the politics of it were better, still got a strong cast of characters, amazingly epic fights, and I think seasons 3&4 make up for the 1st 2 lackluster to bad seasons.

11 Scooby Do Mystery Incorporated Mystery Inc took a franchise which barring the made for VHS movies of the late 90s early 2000s and brought fresh air to it with an actual narrative while still being monster of the week. That and combined with an insane voice acting cast not seen since like Justice League Unlimited and you got one of the best cartoons of the 2000s

10 Gravity Falls Probably my favorite kids cartoon of the decade, just sharp wit, a charming art style, and just fun characters.

9 Daredevil
Got to give it to OG Netflix Marvel show, Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio are electric as Murdock and Fisk respectfully, action scenes are good to great and while the slog of the seasons being 1-2 episodes too much hurts, I think it hurts Daredevil the least.

8 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Pt 4 Diamond is Unbreakable
Want to highlight JJBA Pt4 since it's still my favorite part where Araki really hits his stride and it is probably his most cohesive story adapted so far. Love the colors and both voice versions.

7 WWE NXT
NXT before like 2020 was something I cherished and kept my sanity, until I completely burnt out of wrestling due to collective guilt of supporting WWE and just not being able to lie to myself that I enjoyed it
6 AEW Dynamite
Getting into Dynamite mid 2021 revitalized my love of wrestling and made me feel less bitter overall; helps it's coming at the inverse of me burning out of leftist organizing so it has felt like a nice change in pace to be excited every Wednesday to watch some quality wrestling.

5 American Gods Much like Legend of Korra and Jessica Jones this show is rated on the parts and not the sum. Season 1 of American Gods is all I ever wanted out of a Neil Gaiman adaptation and it's a crime what happened after such a strong showing. Thankfully Gaiman rebounded with Good Omens and hopefully Anasi Boys and The Sandman fair better, but holy poo poo season one of AG is some of the most beautiful stuff put on TV.

4 Venture Bros
I'm glad we are getting the TV special to finish the series, though it's bittersweet in that I never wanted it to end. It felt like an event once a new season started and you'd get 6-8 weeks of glorious discussion on what the best bits were, the references, etc etc.

3 Better Call Saul
Never saw Breaking Bad, but this show had me hooked, is it because at the time I was on a Mr. Show kick? Probably, but it's a shame how this show has never gotten it's due. Other's have put it much better that I can't say more.

2 Twin Peaks: The Return
Like BCS I can't add to what others have eloquently said about how good this show is

1 Agents of Shield
I feel if anyone knows me (and most don't I assume most set me on ignore lol) they know I've always rated this show as number 1 whenever given the opportunity and much to the chagrin of said folks I imagine. What can I say, never been a Buffy Whedon guy, but this show hits all the notes as a nice comfort to watch with a cast that really felt like a family with good vibes. I will forever defend this show that got written off by people who didn't stick with it and thought it just stayed the same as the first episode. My dark secret is though I've never seen the final season somehow. I miss the live thread posting and it was always a blast.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Honorable Mentions

Westworld - Brilliant 1st season and then down the toilet it went.
Ray Donovan - It's dumb and went on too long, but Liev Schrieber is perfect for that role and I always found myself drawn to a new season.
Show Me a Hero - I feel like I was the only one who watched this David Simon miniseries. Really though provoking and has an unusual cast. If it wasn't a miniseries, it probably would have made my list.

20) Shameless

When it comes to quintescential dumb Showtime shows, this has to be at the top. The later seasons were terrible and I had to tap out, but those earlier seasons were terrific and Emmy Rossum is one of the best actors in the world.

19) Orphan Black

A unique sci-fi show that is carried by one of the best acting performances of the decade (Tatiana Maslany). Got a little campy and over-the-top at times, but a good show that doesn't get enough credit. I think the Canadian vibe to it made it even more unique as it didn't fall into the typical American TV tropes we're used to.

18) 12 Monkeys

I'm a sucker for anything involving time travel and thought this show handled it as well as any. It didn't dumb things down too much and had a nice story from beginning to end. A better cast and bigger budget would have done this show wonders.

17) Person of Interest

Tough for a network TV show to reel me in but this was just great junk food TV. The early seasons did a great job of being a procedural whlie building up season/series long storylines. Michael Emerson is brilliant as always.

16) Spartacus

This would be higher on the list if Andy Whitfield had not passed away. His replacement was fine but still wasn't Andy. Lots of dumb sex and violence that somehow managed to make that era look great on a smaller budget. Lucy Lawless was really good in this show too. Definitely one of those fun action shows you can turn your brain off and enjoy.

15) Mindhunter

A really unique series that has incredible production values. Great mix of history and breaking down a serial killer each week. The three top actors played off each other so well and added so much to a really interesting show.

14) Community

I feel like this show has been forgotten a bit but it was genuinely one of the funniest sitcoms on TV in the early part of the decade. It has a great cast that plays off each other well. Show tails off at the end as some of the cast departs, but the early seasons more than make up for it.

13) Chernobyl

Tough to put a limited series high on the list but this was worth it. Terrific writing that really captured a historical event that not enough know the details of. Acting was top notch and you can't ask for much more from a mini-series.

12) Fringe

Really happy Fox let this one finish out. A great sci-fi show with an incredible cast that has a lot of layers to it. Wrapped up most of the mysteries in a satisfying way too which is pretty rare in the sci-fi television genre.

11) Daredevil

I don't care much for superhero movies/shows, but this was terrific. Perfectly cast and just the right mix of action, drama, and humor. I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.

10) American Dad!

A show that would not have made my list in the previous decade. It's one of the rare shows that got considerably better over time as they found what works. It gets a nod on the list because it's the one show that I constantly turn to when I'm bored and need a quick laugh.

9) Halt and Catch Fire

It's Mad Men but during the early days of personal computing. It has humor, sadness, and a terrific story that really captures how complex human beings and their motivations can be. Another show with a brilliant cast too.

8) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Flat out the best comedy running over the past decade. Has had a few duds over the past few seasons but more than makes up for it when they nail an episode perfectly.

7) Dark

Maybe the greatest time travel shows of all-time. It's a German show and the dubbing can turn people off. But it's really smart and doesn't treat the audience like a complete moron throughout. Tight 3 seasons with a satisfying ending that never felt like they had written themselves into a corner.

6) Rectify

The slowest of slow burns on the list, this show is a masterpiece. The overarching story matters, but it's really about the characters and how they deal with an unjust world. Does a terrific job of exploring our flawed institutions and the ills of society. Feel like this is a must-watch for everyone.

5) Patriot

I hate that more people didn't watch this show. It's a brilliant dark comedy with a slow burn. One of the few shows I've gone back and watched again.

4) Banshee

This show rules. An incredibly fun action show with lots of gratuitous sex and violence. It's tough to explain it to people who read the synopsis, but this show is just nonstop from start to finish.

3) Game of Thrones

Yes, the ending absolutely sucked and they mailed in the last couple seasons. But those early seasons were nearly perfect. One of the few shows I was giddy with excitement to watch when it came out. And like Lost in the previous decade, this show stirred up more conversations among friends than any show I can remember.

2) Breaking Bad

Just an incredible TV show from start to finish. One of the only shows that had me sweating during scenes as to what would happen next. And I think one of the underrated aspects of the show is that you never knew what was coming. As someone else said in the thread, it was appointment viewing and never disappointed.

1) The Leftovers

I thought this was a perfect show that covered philosophy, psychology, religion, grief, and human nature. Every scene felt important. The cast was brilliant in every way and every character had incredible depth to them. Even goofy things like the Perfect Strangers bit was masterfully weaved into the story. I would have loved more episodes but thinking back, 3 seasons of this show was perfect and I loved the ending.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Show Me a Hero - I feel like I was the only one who watched this David Simon miniseries. Really though provoking and has an unusual cast. If it wasn't a miniseries, it probably would have made my list.

I watched it! It's good stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I put it on my list in 2015, it was really good! People you will be shocked to learn that Oscar Isaac is a very good actor!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Show Me a Hero was very interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Show Me a Hero was real good

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

And yeah, I didn’t like Jessica Jones s1. It has a LOT going for it, especially the performances, but the Netflix Marvel pacing was still out in full force and there were a lot of substories and the like I didn’t enjoy at all. Somewhere around about the third time they invented some contrived and/or inexplicable reason for Tennant to escape I just mentally checked out. But obviously it resonated with so so many people and that’s very cool. Hang on wait, is Arist reading this? I MEAN IT SUCKS poo poo I HATED IT

Agreed on JJ s1. If we had an overrated of the decade for me it would be either Westworld s1 or JJ s1. I’m not saying I’m right or they are wrong of course. It’s just the way it is.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

EDIT: Realized The Pacific aired in 2010 not 2011. It has been removed, everything above it moved up and Cobra Kai inserted.

Honorable Mention:
Hawaii Five O -- This show will always have a warm spot in my heart. Oahu itself was truly the star of the show but the ensemble cast (which included several LOST alums at various times) grew on me as well.
Fleabag - Probably deserves to be on my list more than a few of the higher picks in terms of quality.
he Mandalorian - Who would've ever though a live action TV show would save Star Wars but here we are and I'm so glad it did.

In quite particular order.....

20. Cobra Kai Better than it has any right to be

19. Catch-22 Visceral. Beautiful. Christopher Abbott (Charlie from Girls) delivers an unforgettable performance. Watch it just for that. He was sensational.

18. The Walking Dead There was a time when this show was what everyone was talking about, and with good reason. There was never any doubt AMC would keep it shambling forward like a zombie itself but there first few seasons were great.

17. Westworld This show has some pretty abysmal lows, but, my God, the highs. I still watch "Maeve Sees Upstairs" on YouTube from time to time, one of the best individual scenes in any show I've ever seen.

16. The OA My friend insisted I watch this show, and I'm so glad I did. One of the most unique and creative shows I've ever seen. I'll forever be bummed it got cancelled because poo poo was about to get meta as gently caress. I might have to move this one up.

15. Our Planet Sadly I think this show will serve as damning indictment of our civilization. If future aliens or rat-people find a way to watch in the future they will rightly ask, "But why didn't they do anything about it?" The walrus scene will forever haunt my mind.

14. Loki Shockingly when you take one of the most charismatic characters/actors from a fictional universe full of them and give him his own show, good things happen. The whole cast delivered aces.

13. Stranger Things The first two seasons of this show are pure, unadulterated magic.

12. The White Lotus Paradise has never looked so bleak. A wonderful story filled with sad, broken people brought together by unseemly wealth and privilege. The mystery element started as a background noise and built to a deafening crescendo. It had the courage to give people the ending that would happen in real life, not the ending they wanted. Except Quinn, the most decent one of them all

11. Succession This show just keeps winning. Prestige drama at its best.

10. Watchmen In Lindelof I trust.

9. Silicon Valley My tastes skew away from comedy generally, but this show never failed to make me laugh.

8. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver I wish I could make everyone on the planet watch this show.

7. Ted Lasso I can't even

6. Mr. Robot This show proved you don't have to be a premium channel or streaming service to stand toe-to-toe with the absolute best TV has to offer.

5. Breaking Bad Placing this below BCS might raise some eyebrows, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

4. Chernobyl For my money this was the best limited series ever made.

3. Game of Thrones Fashionable to hate on the later seasons and the finale but I think that unfairly ignores just how good this show was at its peak and what a cultural phenom it was. Winds of Winter can hang with any episode of any show.

2. Better Call Saul It's as though the creators of Breaking Bad took everything they learned on that show and lovingly baked it into a spinoff with a stellar cast. Oh wait, that is exactly what they did.

1. The Leftovers Season one was pretty good. Season three was superb and silenced everyone who said Lindelof couldn't stick a landing (aka people that are objectively wrong about :lost:) with an absolute gem of a series finale. Season two was perfect from start to finish. It would be like a baseball pitcher throwing 10 no-hitters in a row. And to keep the baseball analogy going, International Assassin would be a perfect game where the pitcher struck every batter out on 3 pitches.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 10, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to go on holiday with the family for a week so:

:siren:Voting Deadline has now been updated to 11:59PM January 9th:siren:

I'm hoping to spam previous voters inboxes, further tally results and prep the artwork during this time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wait a minute. The Office hasn't made a single list? I know that Season 7 and 8 weren't that well regarded but the last season was pretty solid and the last few episodes in particular were really good. It's hard to judge series that span inside and outside the zone, especially when the quality varies on either side of the divide.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 31, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
gently caress gently caress gently caress idk here at the wire:

TVIV Top 10 2010-2020

15. The Masked Singer
Not always sure what in the Hunger Games is happening, but this continues to be a dumb, fun show.

14. Tosh.0
A staple of my media diet for more than a decade, Tosh.0 deserves to be in my top 10. After a gimmick going back to the first episode of closing the third act with “we’ll be right back with more...” and then he would name a show that had been cancelled by Comedy Central; Daniel Tosh finally got to say “we’ll be right back with more Tosh.0.”

13. Archer
A return to form after the meanderings of the coma seasons! I’m really enjoying the old setting, even though I loved the season-long vignettes!

12. The Boys
You can’t leave us here!
A deconstruction of the superhero genre, and specifically the Marvel/Disney machine, this gritty and gory adaptation was wonderfully fun! Karl Urban shines, as usual diving into his character head first.

11. The Witcher
Spare a coin for your Witcher...
This was a surprise hit at the end of the year. Mature, but with a good mix of what Game of Thrones was always lacking: some levity. It also passes the Bechdel Test in the first episode, so an improvement over the first game!

10. Neebs Gaming
World Peace
Another year with this as a constant staple of my media diet! With regular series premiering new content four days a week, this is an easy “get home, decompress” channel. Half machinama and half Let’s Play, this gang romps through different survival games having adventures and friendships. This year, Neebs has been learning more Spanish, which came in handy when they started a PvP Ark series on an EU server.

9. Dark
A satisfying time travel show. Ending was even okay! Watch in the original German!

8. Watchmen
Trust in the Law!
It says something great about this show’s writing, and something terrible about our society, that this is the first time I’ve seen the 1921 Tusla Massacre put to film. Using the lens of racial violence and generational trauma. Don’t let people tell you the show didn’t stick the landing simply because it decides to discuss those topics, rather than solve them.

7. The Last Kingdom
My favorite, now somewhat of a guilty pleasure, swords and sandals show! Uhtred has to keep doing dumb things to keep himself historically relevant and near the action, but I love him anyways! Destiny is All!

6. Rick and Morty
They made fun of their own, stupid, alt-right fans. A continually wonderful show that keeps me laughing and thinking!

5. Attack on Titan
...the sea.
This show continues to engage and surprise me. The big twist came and I never saw it coming. Fantastic stuff! Another way to put it: on the same Sunday, two shows killed long beloved characters by crushing them with rocks and only one was satisfying. :rip: in peace, Erwin. gently caress You, Game of Thrones.

4. Westworld
I love this dumb, robot show.

3. Avenue 5
This was too real. Like Babe Ruth pointing to the outfield, Avenue 5 perfectly captures the zeitgeist of 2020 and predicted how lovely it would all get...

2. The Expanse
...it reaches out.
Saved by Amazon. Cancelled by Amazon. It’s the best SciFi of the decade and maybe the best sci-fi show ever.

1. Chernobyl
Every atom of uranium is like a bullet...
Timeless. Prescient. This is what Prestige Television is all about. Using the patina of an ‘80s horror film, the monster in this is not only real, but invisible. The shriek of the Geiger Counter spells doom for all who hear it. Entertaining and terrible, Craig Mazin (of the Scary Movie franchise and Hangover sequels) proves that having Ted Cruz as a roommate can be good for something.

I stan a legend, and Jared Harris continues his streak of phenomenal performances. Honestly ashamed this isn’t everybody’s number one...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

achillesforever6 posted:

1 Agents of Shield
I feel if anyone knows me (and most don't I assume most set me on ignore lol) they know I've always rated this show as number 1 whenever given the opportunity and much to the chagrin of said folks I imagine. What can I say, never been a Buffy Whedon guy, but this show hits all the notes as a nice comfort to watch with a cast that really felt like a family with good vibes. I will forever defend this show that got written off by people who didn't stick with it and thought it just stayed the same as the first episode. My dark secret is though I've never seen the final season somehow. I miss the live thread posting and it was always a blast.

The final season is really great! Highly recommend watching it when you get a chance.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

TVIV Top 10 2010-2020

I don't think this affects anything on your list but it's actually 2011 - 2021

(Just another reason Terriers got screwed)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

19. Hung

Tom Jane! What a cool show. And I'm gonna say it, an even better showcase for him than The Expanse. Though Miller is very very cool. This I feel shows the full range of Jane, what a uniquely charming dude. Jane Adams is so good, when I see her show up in things it's great to see that quirky nervous energy. And again, just a great great role for her here. Season 3 is the one that aired in 2011, and it was a really good one. It's funny, when thinking about and ranking all these shows, some aspects can blend together. They're about people who want to be understood, want to be loved, how people get along. Getting into trouble, digging yourself out, communication, and ways to put new twists on all that in a clever episodic package. Also fun to see a positive show about a sex worker. However it did it, this show stood out to me as one of my favs. Also very funny.

Hung is really underrated. If you were to.....package....it with Mrs. Fletcher, you have a nice duo of similarly themed and fun shows from HBO.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK. I've finally got around to writing my own list. Here goes. I'll start with my honourable mentions. Over the course of writing this, there are so many good shows that i'd love to recommend which just slipped my mind and/or I just don't have time to write about. This includes but is not limited to Sneaky Pete, The Crown, End of The loving World, The Boys, Sex Education, Love, Russian Doll, Preacher, Search Party, Quarry, Righteous Gemstones, Awake, Mythic Quest, Avenue 5, Spartacus, Unreal, Wellington Paranormal, Who is America, Misfits, I Am Not OK with this, The Good Place, The Good Lord Bird, High Maintenance, Hannibal, The Flight Attentant, Perpetual Grace Limited, American Vandal, Baskets, Derek, GLOW, Happy!, Hunters, Big Mouth, After Life.

================================================================================================
Honourable Mentions: "Window Misses"
(Shows that may have made my list if their whole run was during the nomination window)

================================================================================================

Boardwalk Empire
This Terrence Winter helmed 1920's period drama scratches all my itches. I love historical stuff and I love gangster poo poo.

Eastbound and Down
This show is a lot smarter than it looks on the surface. I've tried unsuccesfully to recruit friends that like good TV to enjoy this and it's a shame that my dumbass friends that have terrible TV taste do enjoy it. Good show though.

Wilfred
The rare exception of the superior US remake. Took a pretty simple concept played for cheap laughs and managed to create a super compelling narrative. A hilarious mix of comedy, drama, suspense and mental health commentary. I really wish Elijah Wood did more stuff.

Honourable Mentions: "Quality Dip"
(Shows that may have made my list if it wasn't for an bad/unenjoyable season)

True Detective
The first season is amazing, the third season is really good but despite the noir setting (which I should like), the mostly great cast (I couldn't stand Vince Vaughn), this season was a complete dud. It just didn't work for me.

The Terror
Despite the awesome time period and perspective of the second season, it was a chore to get through. The first season was a stand-alone masterpiece of psycological horror and dread.

Honorable Mentiones: Miniseries
(Shows that may have made my list, but they were limited/miniseries. Not bad in and of itself, but from an "hours of entertainment" perspective, i just wanted of them. All of these top notch TV though)

Chernobyl
Stunningly presented, skillfully made and absolutely terrifying. Love watching every minute of this, and following along with the official podcast for even more interesting tidbits

Sharp Objects
How has Amy Adams not won an Oscar yet? This was gripping TV. Did a really good job of creating a world and was super effective at making you feel what the characters were feeling. Whether it was sweating balls from the opressive heat or tearing you're hair out because you're losing your goddamn mind. This show could do it all. RIP Jean-Marc Vallée

Watchmen
The bar was set high for this one, and the creators of this show nailed it perfectly. What a show. I just wish there was more.

Honourable Mentions: "Just missed out"
I wanted these shows on my list, but there were unfortunately only 20 slots. In alphabetical order they are as follows:

Australian Survivor
I don't know how the creators of this show managed to make a show that Survivor nerds actually enjoy whilst still appealing to the deadshit mainstream Australian TV watcher, but they did it. Since rebooting this in 2016, they've nailed nearly every season. Amazing challenges, interesting storytelling, some genuinly good innovations on the game (and a hell of a lot of terrible ones), but most importantly, they've done an amazing job uncovering contestants with some genuine all-timers that rank amongst the franchises best. Jeff Probst is no longer the best Survivor host either.

Animal Kingdom
I'm the threads number one fan of this show. Is it a little cheesy? Sure. Does it have a little too much in common with Sons of Anarchy for my liking? Yep. But I just dig it! They did such a good job transplanting the setting to Oceanside California and they did such a good job finding actors to potray Pope and Smurf in this new world.

Black Sails
Holy poo poo. Pirates and pirate times are awesome. This show got off to an inauspicious start, but the show genuinely got better as it went along. Blackbeard was genuinely mesmerising. Some amazing sea battles/spectacle as well. If this show had a more of a budget to do what it truly wanted, it would be in my Top 20 in a heartbeat.

Catastrophe
If the UK stopped making 3-6 episode seasons, this would be in my top 20 too. I loved every minute of this. I could watch these two talk, banter, fight, break up, and get back together for days.

Fleabag
See above. Loved the show, just want more of it.

Halt and Catch Fire
Others have praised this show well enough, so I'll leave it to them. I came to this show late, but it was an amazing binge. I was constantly amazed that the show could change so much from season to season but still be really good.

Last Week Tonight
Has been part of my weekly routine from it's beginning about 8 years ago. Oliver is a genuinely talented guy and his ability to both educate whilst entertaining on such a wide variety of subjects is truly impressive.

Man Seeking Woman
I'd love to do a re-watch of this sometime. This show was goddam hilarious, with a sense of humour right up my alley whilst also being genuinely bizarre. Truly a unique show like nothing else that I wish more people would have got to see.

Peaky Blinders
Period Piece? Crime/Gangsters? I've said it before, but I just love this poo poo. Is it a little on the nose at times? Sure. But when you've got Cillian Murphy brooding on screen and Tom Hardy playing an incoherent drunk Jewish mobster, I'm going to watch

Review
A high-concept Comedy Central creation from Andy Daly where he is the presenter of a fictional TV show that reviews life experiences so his audience don't have to. Want to know what it's like to be homeless, a crack addict, divorced, lost at sea? He'll find out and summarise it neatly on a 1-5 star scale. Watching this guys life fall apart was genuinely painful and hilarious at the same time.

Rick and Morty
The internet ruined this a little for me, but this show is genuinely impressive with the JPM (jokes per minute) it pulls off. Constantly thinking of fun and new ways for the show to explore sci-fi tropes and go on new advventure.

Silicon Valley
This show genuinely made me laugh out loud on a weekly basis. It's a shame a couple of the guys turned out to be Hollywood Slimeballs in real life, but I was genuinely impressed by this show. Also, shoutout to the creators/marketers at HBO for consistently being hilarious with all the supplementary material online with the creation of real-fake websites, interviews etc.

The Deuce
Surprised this didn't get a bigger audience. David Simon at his bests, amazing period of time captured, A-List cast with A-List performances, super complex web of stories and characters that everyone loves so much about The Wire. Check it out if you're a fan of Simon, you won't be disappointed.

The Genius
I can't say enough good things about this Korean Variety Show. Not a month goes by that I wish it would come back and/or I think about casting a western version of it. If you like Survivor, Party games like Werewolf/Mafia or the strategy/game theory involved in the best of what game-shows have to offer, then this show is for you.

The Last Kingdom
I love my historical poo poo. I love badassess doing badass things. I love self interested power hungry maniacas politicking to get to the top.

Vice Principals
Another Hill-McBride vehicle that hit it out of the park. Loved the fact it was crafted from the start to be a two season arc with a clear beginning-middle-end. Wish more shows would do it.

Vikings
See "The Last Kingdom"

Wayne
Oh, what could have been. Everyone needs to watch Wayne. It's hilarious, it's violent, it's heartwarming and it has a captivating cast of characters - especially the two young leads.

You're the Worst
Super funny. Genuinely impressive and interesting take on depression and mental illness. An awesome cast that deserves more work. Also some of the most creative concept episodes and storytelling techniques you'll see on TV, especially for a 30min "comedy". We're talking Atlanta-tier creativeness here.

And now for the list:

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 1, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I need to rewrite my Review blurb now given how it was largely about how I expected to be the only one to bring it up lol

Incredible show

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
20. Game of Thrones
It needs to be on the list. How did something so niche and nerdy become such a huge mega-hit? It's genuinely impressive when you think about it. The way they executed the first few seasons was genuinely amazing and you felt like anything was possible on TV. Honestly, what was even the point of movies anymore? And then... well... the rest of it happened. Which is a shame.

19. Nirvanna The Band The Show
The creativity of these two guys is astounding. The DIY Guerilla nature of this show rivals the best that Sacha Baron Cohen has to offer. The blending of reality and fiction rivals the best that Nathan For You or Curb Your Enthusiasm has to offer. The intricate stories, call backs and tie-ins rivals the best that Seinfeld has to offer. There is still rumours of a third season, and I genuinely hope we see it some day.

18. Happy Endings
This show's rapid-fire comedy compares to the like of Community but suffered as a result of not having the same rabid internet fan-base. It's talented and super funny case is comparible to The Office and Parks and Rec but suffered from less mainstream appeal. Everyone I know that watches this show, loves this show. I just wish more people watched it.

17. Bluey
If you like animation, you need to watch this. If you're a parent, you need to watch this. If you like TV, you need to watch this. Please watch this. I laugh, I cry, I smile, my faith in humanity is restored. Every time. All in the space of six and a half minutes. Inspires me to be a better dad and appreciate my kids every time I watch it.

16. Survivor
This needs to be on the list considering the sheer about of time I've spent watching it, listening to podcasts, listening to audiobooks, discussing online, discussing with friends and running fantasy drafts. It's no longer at it's best, but it's still a great show that is a big part of my life.

15. Veep
Political satire at it's best. So many great lines, so many creative ways to swear.

14. Mr Inbetween
This FX-funded Australian Crime Drama/Dark Comedy created by, written by and starring Scott Ryan and directed by Nash Edgerton was a joy to watch. A really amazing 3 season arc for the character that continued to suprise and avoid the pitfalls that many shows in this genre fall into. Insanely bingable. Can't wait to see what Ryan does next.

13. Mr. Robot
It was so much fun watching this every week (seriously, can we please bring back weekly TV?) and theoy-crafting and speculating about where the show was going. This was a 2010-s Lost and I'm so glad that they largely stuck the landing with the ending.

12. Shameless
It was a joy watching the Gallagher's grow up before my eyes of the course of 10-ish years. I'll never get tired of an ensemble breakfast scene when this cast of characters is involved.

11. Broad City
Speaking of joy. I want to hang out with these girls all day, ever day. The chemistry of the two leads is unparalleled and the stories they weaved and executed was super impressive. Hannibal Burress makes me smile every time he's on screen.

10. The Americans
A cold-war period drama with spies and political intrigue? How could i not like this. Powerful story that was largely executed magnificantly. Surprised there wasn't a bigger mainstream audience for this. I thought it had the mass appeal of both the younger nerdy prestige-TV devouring crowd as well as the traditional Boomer crowd.

9. Fargo
Despite not enjoying Season 3 that much. The first two seasons of this show are floorless TV. Season 4 was a lot more enjoyable than most people make out. I wish this show was Hawleys soul focus and new seasons were coming out every year.

8. Better Call Saul
Suffers a little from prequel syndrome where the show feels the need to put in cute references to it's sister show, but Odenkirk's performance is pretty special and outside of Carrie Coon on The Leftovers (and everything else she's in), I can't think of more impressive performance from a female lead. Kym Wexler is amazing.

7. Nathan For You
I don't know how Nathan Fielder managed to pull this off, nor do I understand how he managed to think of these episodes. I die laughing nearly every time I watch it.

6. Atlanta
I'm a little trepidacious of the next season, fearing that Glover might disappear up his own rear end (Master of None anybody?) but the existing content is totally flawless. This show has gone a long way to permantly altering the TV landscap and what shsould be considered a comedy on TV. I also can't get anough of Brian Tyree Henry

5. Justified
This show was fantastic. Outside of Michael Rapaport, every person the show introduced contributed to the richness of the world that had been created. The rare show where the "villain of the week" episodes were as much funt to watch as the serialised long term episodes.

4.Barry
Walks the line between hilarious comedy and heartbreaking drama deftly. Can't wait to see what is in store for the next couple of seasons. I've got high confidence that it will be executed as well as everything we've seen so far.

3. Breaking Bad
Not much else I can offer that hasn't already been said. Would have topped the list had it's entire run been part of the voting window.

2. The Leftovers
Wow, what a ride. Expecially loved the Australain focus of seasons 2 and 3. Watching Justin Theroix run around my home town in the climax of the show was a hoot. Flawless storytelling thats every bit as smart as it tries to be.

1. Patriot
This show is a joy to watch. Every rewatch I do rewards me with something new. I never cease marvelling at the creativity and meticulously crafted story.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 1, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looten Plunder posted:

seriously, can we please bring back weekly TV?

Have you heard of this thing called the MCU? :thunkher:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that’s a great list!!!!!

Yellowjackets has been good for weekly viewing right now. But yeah it still needs to be more prevalent again. Still pissed at Amazon for burying The Underground Railroad like that

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Have you heard of this thing called the MCU? :thunkher:

Because the movies come out weekly?:haw:

I watched Loki for the first time a month ago, that's the only SW/MCU show I've watched. It was good, but way too short.

Seriously though, look at these lists. So few of the shows are streaming shows. And I don't think it's to do with the fact that streaming wasn't around 10 years ago. The shows just don't stick with you the same. Something like Orange is the New Black or Stranger Things would have been part of my life for 3+ months each season if it was weekly. Instead they're over in a couple of days and they didn't even register for consideration as part of my honourable mentions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stranger Things really dropped off the zeitgeist after Season 1 as well

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Yellowjackets has been good for weekly viewing right now. But yeah it still needs to be more prevalent again. Still pissed at Amazon for burying The Underground Railroad like that

It would be nice if networks realised there was more than one day in the week though. Seriously, look at this poo poo

Station Eleven only got added to my calendar the last couple of days as well. At the time, practically the only thing I was watching that didn't air on Sunday was How To With John Wilson (which pogdesign doesn't have an entry for)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Because the movies come out weekly?:haw:

I watched Loki for the first time a month ago, that's the only SW/MCU show I've watched. It was good, but way too short.

Seriously though, look at these lists. So few of the shows are streaming shows. And I don't think it's to do with the fact that streaming wasn't around 10 years ago. The shows just don't stick with you the same. Something like Orange is the New Black or Stranger Things would have been part of my life for 3+ months each season if it was weekly. Instead they're over in a couple of days and they didn't even register for consideration as part of my honourable mentions.

For me it’s that my elderly in laws and autistic son both have issues figuring out streaming so we spend a lot on cable which makes me angry but most of my viewing is on cable

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Honourable mentions to just a whole bunch of comedies like Happy Endings, New Girl and The Good Place. All very good shows that I watched religiously, but apparently I need my comedies to make me sad.

20. The Terror I've not seen the second season and I've heard less-than-positive things, but the first season is extremely well-acted and produced show that does a great job of making you feel every bit of its dreadfully cold and hopeless atmosphere.

19. The Good Lord Bird I absolutely loved this. Ethan Hawke puts on an absolutely incredible performance.

18. Mythic Quest I'm not really sold on the show as a whole, but the highs in this show are exceptional as reflections on the pursuit of creative ambitions.

17. What We Do In The Shadows I wasn't really convinced that they could turn the movie into a full show without quickly running out of material, and then I was certain the show would run out of gas well before its third season, but thankfully I am an idiot who knows nothing.

16. American Vandal In a similar vein to the above, an extremely funny show that did a great job not wearing out its premise through two seasons.

15. Chernobyl This was such an upsetting show to watch, but I couldn't help but binge it anyways, which I think says a lot about its quality.

14. Game of Thrones The show probably needed a couple more seasons to really let some of its later plotlines marinate, but no other show had quite the same cultural impact when it was on the air. It was honestly kind of surreal how many bars I saw would host weekly viewing parties for it. My hot take is that the show hit its highest peaks in the latter seasons (the season 6 finale is exceptional).

13. Taskmaster Only started watching this in quarantine, but I could not get enough of it once I started watching. The goddamn funniest thing on television right now.

12. Mr. Robot Its a great show all around, but what I remember the most about Mr. Robot is that it was a stunningly beautiful show to just look at.

11. 30 Rock I think it suffers a bit of a dip in quality towards the end of its run, but it's gotta have the greatest jokes-per-second of any show that I can remember.

10. Watchmen This show does a great job of using a superhero drama to explore historical traumas.

9. You're The Worst A very funny show about some very awful people. Like a lot of comedies on my list, it also hit its emotional beats really well.

8. Barry Absurd in the best ways. I've never been a big fan of Bill Hader, but he's great here.

7. Fleabag A very funny and occasionally very sweet show about an absolute mess of a person.

6. Fargo The seasons vary pretty dramatically in quality, but I've enjoyed each and every one of them.

5. Twin Peaks: The Return Extremely good and extremely weird.

4. Atlanta Unpredictable in the very best ways. It's obviously very funny, but it can also be heart-wrenching and terrifying without missing a beat.

3. Lodge 49 Like its primary protagonist, this show is just an very good hang.

2. Halt and Catch Fire I never really cared all that much about the tech behind everything, but this show did an incredible job of making you care about every single character. One of the best final seasons of a show I can think of.

1. The Leftovers Its been like four years and I'm still chasing the high of Lion Sex Cruise.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Looten Plunder posted:

Plenty of people engaged BB as a binge. In fact, that is where it went from a weird niche show to "what everybody is watching". While I haven't seen "Halt and Catch Fire" I only know it as something to binge from people outside the IT crowd (SA being enriched for the IT crowd is going to have a selective effect). I don't care for fantasy, but I see The Witcher on a lot of lists. And Bojack. I also notice an absence of The Office which was such a THING when it was weekly but evidently we've also decided that it isn't worth considering/remembering.

Could it be that shows designed to be binged just . . . aren't very good? Look at Another World. It has like a solid SyFy+ budget but it is just dogshit. Same with the weird emo show Netflix did that people loved then forgot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hung is really underrated. If you were to.....package....it with Mrs. Fletcher, you have a nice duo of similarly themed and fun shows from HBO.

Cool, added to the list!

I'll also hop back on Agents of SHIELD sometime, only saw the first season. So much stuff to check out, lotta TV folks.

I just cut and pasted Halt and Catch Fire from near the bottom of the list to near the top, we're making moves here. Yes I have a document.

On quality of TV, eras, networks etc, I don't have a strong opinion, but overall I find netflix's original content a bit lacking. Some gems and favs are there too though. I think they're just the new ABC in the 70s or something, everybody has it, and it gets tons of conveyer belt content.

It seems the best shows are made wherever the execs aren't paying attention or are allowed to be more loose. Like how Fox kept say Sunny in Philadelphia going on FX in the early days with low ratings, and let them do whatever they want pretty much they say. Or HBO giving cool creators a good run. That's the ideal situation, but both those places are owned by giant devil worshipping media conglomerates as Lloyd Kaufman says, so who knows.

AMC has had numerous favs, that company also owns Shudder and IFC, which don't seem to have as much funding etc.

Points to Showtime and Starz for giving David Lynch and Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell's Evil Dead some love.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
John Landgraf as head of FX doesn't get enough praise. He's responsible for greenlighting and being a champion for so many amazing shows.

He's also the guy that coined the term Peak TV

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Honorable mentions
Rick and Morty - LOL!
Twin Peaks, Hannibal, Breaking Bad, and Better Call Saul - Yeah sure
The White Lotus

20. Stranger Things - It had a real high high when it came out and it's been falling off since, but the first season or maybe just the theme song actually merits this rank.

19. New Girl - Gonna go ahead and deem this the official sitcom of the 10s. The characters are so crazy and random!!, in a way that actually usually works. Youve got the mac/PC guy doing Jimmy Stewart sex role play, or Josh Gad singing about a Gay Wolf. It’s funny, Even if they all end up married with kids named Ruth Bader Ginsberg or whatever.

18. Black Mirror - i don’t think I ever watched all of these and we all know what it is by now. When it first started it was so cool, and i assume it’s still doing its thing. I saw the movie Swan Song the other day and it felt exactly like a good Black Mirror episode in the best possible way.

17. 30 Rock - If you love to laugh this is the show for you. There’s so many jokes in here!

16. Schitt's Creek - As far as feel good sitcoms of good people succeeding go I guess i'll give this one the nod. The character types are less tiring than Epic bacon Ron swanson or Roy Kent hilariously saying , "F*ck". Actually this show is kind of the quintessential modern "just leave it streaming on your TV" kind of show, for an easy low stakes good time, finally ridding background TV sets everywhere of the cursed Jimface. Begone you devil!

15. Eastbound and Down - between this, Vice Principals, and Righteous Gemstones, Danny Mcbride pretty much ahs the decade covered, and it's all really in the same spirit and the same type of show. Crude rear end in a top hat maybe has a decent side to him? But eastbound came first and it's my favorite of the bunch to date too.

14. Veep - Funny show and its 2012-2019 tenure is timed just right to really hit a lot of the past decade. I think it kind of led the way for succession, in terms of people doing witty and vulgar insults for like 100% of their dialogue but succession really perfected the formula by having the Roman character do an obnoxious smirking little laugh after each line.

13. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - This show ran for 5 years of the aughts and it’s still going!! People have long asked, Is the gang still a legitimate comedic force? This ranking says… yes. they do tend to hit some of the same beats repeatedly at this point, but check this out:

12. Succession - This is the new It show I think, that everybody’s talking about. It’s funny and riveting TV. Greg is Tom’s eunuch now and I think that’s great.

11. Mad Men - aka live action 1950’s bojack horse man. This guy has everything But he’s spiraling and abusing alcohol. For 7 seasons? Wtf??

10. Patriot - when the lead character is a depressed guy, you know the show is serious, contemplative, and deep. But: what if it had some Wes Anderson kitsch and was funny at the same time? Well my friends, you’d have a top ten show on your hands is what you’d have.

9. Game of Thrones - Before the showrunners got tired of making this and ran out of source material, it was so good. I was really invested in it. I’m going to still rank it high.

8. Nathan For You - The funny business gimmicks that Nathan comes up with already make this show top notch but then the throughline stuff with Nathan being a stupid loser with no friends culminating in that weird and epic finale is quite frankly Special.

7. The Young Pope - This show is beautiful. It’s like that One Perfect Shot twitter account except actually the shots really are good. It’s weird and it’s kinda moving and kinda funny. When it came back and the pope was New instead of Young it wasn’t quite as good but John Malkovich’s goth pope was funny and the cardinal guy really gets to shine.

6. The Leftovers - Why do the Guilty Remnant have to smoke cigarettes all the time? We never found out but regardless of your opinino on the ending, they did (maybe?) answer the other big questions with this series, which was kind of a bold move I guess. I remember being enthralled by season 2 at the time.

5. Love - Everyone doesn’t become rich and successful, and neither is there soap opera melodrama or endless suffering. There’s no central mystery for a hook, and even the side characters aren’t too wacky. It’s just very real, while at the same time featuring lead characters that are fun and funny and have relatable highs and lows. If you liked this show, check out the Apple show “Trying.”

4. Survivor - I mean, im a big survivor dork so this is what you get. if you’re going back a decade there’s loads of great seasons, and if you include the Australian run (which I am) there’s even more gold. There’s real people to learn about, there’s strategy to discuss between episodes, there’s suspenseful and shocking conclusions to a lot of the episodes. If you’re not a fan already, great show to binge in the coming omicron lockdown (or from your bed if there’s no lockdown, and if your case is mild).

3. Halt and Catch Fire - This show is a definite grower. The cast get fleshed out from something a little one dimensional into beloved characters as we watch them and the tech industry go through years of growth. “I loved it”

2. The Americans - The story of a hero putting in the uncomfortable and difficult work required to save communism and by extension the world. We know she (and thus we) are doomed to fail, and our doomed fate haunts the viewer throughout, especially in the final season.

1. The Genius - The best game show ever (“better than Jeopardy”). Well this kind of show is just tailor made for my tastes so ymmv, but you’ve got the social strategy of shows like Survivor merged with different new types of strategic or puzzle games each episode, and you get to watch the players try to analyze out optimal moves, with fun twists involved. It burned bright and brief

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Man forgot all about Love. That was a great show with a great cast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first time I saw the scene where they sing a theme song for The Perfect Storm I went back and watched it about fourteen times. It made me laugh SO much

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Man forgot all about Love. That was a great show with a great cast.

Yeah, I gave it a shout out in my "honourable mentions that didn't get an honourable mention" I'm glad someone put it on their list.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh neat, I made it through before deadline. Sorry, You're The Worst, you're outta here:

Rarity posted:

1. DICKINSON
(Apple+)

I've just finished watching this show and it will require much processing. I don't yet have the words to accurately sum up my feelings, I will save those for the 2021 thread once I've had more time. Suffice to say this is the most profoundly personal show I've ever seen. Never before have I felt a show speak so directly to my experience. I'm going to be thinking about this show for years, if not the rest of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCSrWUMzur4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree, except in my case “my experience” refers to “being attracted to Ella Hunt”.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree, except in my case “my experience” refers to “being attracted to Ella Hunt”.

Meanwhile I'm going to go watch Arcane to see if I can fit a third Hailee Steinfeld show into my 2021 list :hmmyes:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dickinson looks fascinating. I can't believe I've never heard of it (although it seems like that can be said of all Apple shows not named the Morning Show). I will have to check it out.

This thread is filled with incredible recommendations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I can't believe no one's talking about it. Or rather I can cause it's on Apple+ but people should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Literally had no idea it existed, thanks for making me aware of it!