Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm starting to work on my list but I feel like I'm penalizing limited series and shows that ran only a couple of seasons compared to ones that ran longer. BBC just posted a 100 Best Shows of the Century and had Fleabag in the top 5, which made me think about shows that were good but over so quickly I kind of forgot about them.

This list includes How I met your mother and Dexter, and has no credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not advocating for this list in particular. It just provided me with an example. I'm sure my list will have some equally suspect picks though!

Oh mine will too. I've got it narrowed down to 37 right now

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can you post the Excel of every show ever nominated?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Warning: Since having kids in 2013, I haven't watched nearly as many Prestige Dramas as I would have hoped and I have a list a mile long of shows I know would be on here instead of some.

Special Honorable Mention: Greys Anatomy: My first episode (the massacre in the hospital) was the last episode my wife ever watched. Likable cast, and although the show had run its course - when my kids ask about COVID times I will show them the last two seasons of this - not just because of Covid but because of the George Floyd Protests and how it was handled (same could he said about Million Little things)

Honorable mention: Supergirl (only because of Jon Cryer and cast chemistry), The Good Place, Chernobyl, Dexter (for Hate-Watching), Blue Bloods

20. The Punisher. My favorite comic book character of all time - perfectly casted. Season 2 was weak, but it was still awesome.

19. The Circus: This the only way to include the absolute poo poo show that is the past five years of politics. If it wasn’t so horrifying, it would make a great multi year series.

18. Legends of Tomorrow: BEEBO, psychotic telepath gorillas trying to kill Obama, an ever changing cast, clones. I hope they do a whole revamp of the cast now that supergirl and flash have opened up opportunities by ending.

17. Continuum: I love science fiction and especially love time travel.

16. 12 Monkeys I love science fiction and especially love time travel.

15: Game of Thrones: I hate the fantasy theme (always preferred horror and sci fi) so I didn’t watch most of this show as it was airing, and had two failed starts before we then watched five seasons over a summer and started season 6. 8 didn’t disappoint me as much as it did others but I don’t rank it higher because I forgot most of the plotlines after I stopped watching the show.

14. Community - Perfect on almost every level in the first few seasons.

13. Million Little Things: there’s a ton of hype out there for “This is US,” but the cast is better the story is better and everyone just has such great chemistry. Also, James Roday has an amazing presence and I will watch everything he appears in.

12. Schitts creek: I found out about this show after it had ended and marathoned it. Watching rich people have to be poor and suffer hit home as it reminded me a lot of my childhood on a much less dramatic scale.

11. The Walking Dead: I am a huge zombie fan - and if you had asked me a few years ago I was on the verge of giving up after multiple bad seasons, but Angela Kang saved it and introduced some of the best plot lines in the show.

10. Supernatural: This is probably my favorite world building of any show I’ve ever watched. The theme song got me in every time. There are just so many memorable supporting characters and storylines.

9. Psych: I had this spot carved out in my head for either Psych or Chuck, because they were both about pop culture nerds doing things and had incredible cases, bbbbut the themed episodes

8. Daredevil: The Netflix shows were all mostly good, except for Iron Fist but the story in this as well as Vincent D’onofrios character makes the best of the bunch.

7. Breaking bad: An incredible show about a bad person who does bad things with a lot of collateral damage. I still haven’t watched Better Call Saul but that’s more due to a lack of time than anything.

6. Orphan Black: The fact that Tatiana Maslany could play so much different yet compelling characters is awesome. I’ll admit to being confused as hell a lot of the time, but the show is a wild ride.

5. Arrow: Id like to nominate all the shows in the Arrowverse but I’ll stick with Arrow as it is The show that started a Universe. The crossovers were better than most of the DC universe and though we did get entirely too much of Diaz (I generally enjoy watching Kirk Acevedo) this was the one show I watched every episode. I wish the canaries spin off had happened.

4 Veep: Political Satire at its finest. Everything about this show is loving perfect.

3. The 100: This. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect this show to morph into the genocidal masterpiece that it became.

2. Superstore: Watching this brought me back to my days in retail, plus Glenn is the perfect retail store manager. I missed that this has been canceled until I realized I was watching the finale, and I’m still devastated.

1. Fear the Walking dead: A month ago, this wasn’t anywhere on my radar. I had watched the first season because it was pitched as something I thought was missing from TWD, but was boring as gently caress and I hated all the characters. A few months ago, somebody mentioned how good it was now and I said “self, this sounds like a hate watch scenario.” Season 3 was good but the whole new cast in season 4 and it’s subsequent seasons has cemented this as my favorite show of the decade.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 22, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Just a typo or did you include Community but forget to rank it?

I meant to replace Greys Anatomy with it - fixed

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Because the movies come out weekly?:haw:

I watched Loki for the first time a month ago, that's the only SW/MCU show I've watched. It was good, but way too short.

Seriously though, look at these lists. So few of the shows are streaming shows. And I don't think it's to do with the fact that streaming wasn't around 10 years ago. The shows just don't stick with you the same. Something like Orange is the New Black or Stranger Things would have been part of my life for 3+ months each season if it was weekly. Instead they're over in a couple of days and they didn't even register for consideration as part of my honourable mentions.

For me it’s that my elderly in laws and autistic son both have issues figuring out streaming so we spend a lot on cable which makes me angry but most of my viewing is on cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

escape artist posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return
BCS
Breaking Bad
Hannibal
Bojack Horseman
True Detective
Game of Thrones
Louie (It was phenomenal television, even though it's unwatchable now because of what a POS Louie is)
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bob's Burgers

Was. Louie died two weeks ago