Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
10 - Game of Thrones - a staggering monument to what could have been. The show started to decline fairly early but for the first 2 seasons, it was difficult to believe my favorite fantasy series was not only on the screen, not only done extremely well, but also the most popular show in the world. The showrunners should be equally lauded and vilified for creating something so unique and powerful, then through arrogance, laziness, and ineptitude, letting it become the gold standard for how to gently caress up in entertainment.

9 - The Mandalorian - very uneven in quality yet despite this, its brief moments of heroism and idealism really do summon the emotions I felt as a child, watching the original trilogy. I rate this one on this list mainly because of the season 2 finale, which was a truly remarkable piece of writing. Lucas and Disney have been chasing that dragon for 40 years and for a brief moment, someone actually caught it.

8 - It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia - it’s not always great but when it is, it’s the funniest show of the decade and maybe even ever. Kaitlin Olsen and Glenn Howerton are my favorite comedic actors. The way they just go all in, every time, never gets old. The show knows what it is and embraces it fully. It’s also the best show for bloopers - the ad libbing these actors do is just incredible.

7 - Better Call Saul - this show never ceases to amaze me how riveting it can be with such low stakes, as compared to its mother show. BCS channels the austere, tragic vibe of Breaking Bad but somehow makes the life of a nobody lawyer something worth exploring. Odenkirk carries the show but Gilligan’s craft is just so evident in every scene. I can’t wait to see how it ends.

6 - Fargo - I rate this one so highly simply because it exceeded my expectations by orders of magnitude. The anthology approach to coloring in this world the Coens built has been a success few people could have expected. Its occasional forays into the downright weird set it apart from almost anything else on tv. Each season brings unique and outstanding performances, making it a fresh experience with every new iteration.

5 - Chernobyl - a story so dramatic that it’s sometimes easy to forget it’s mostly based in fact. The dread and the endless upping of the stakes make it somehow a nailbiter even though we know exactly how it ends. Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgard give career performances, which is saying a lot for those two. It’s earnest portrayal of Soviet society, with all its strengths and faults, is laudable on its own.

4 - The Expanse - the best sci-fi ever to appear on the small screen. I rate it at #4 here because I don’t know how it will end, and the most recent seasons were slightly less impressive than season 3, which was probably the most fun I’ve ever had binging a season of television. Despite its flaws, the ambition of a close future space opera is something truly unique and the show has demonstrated that the genre can work.

3 - Halt and Catch Fire - While not exactly in the same category as the top tier prestige shows, Halt is a stunning character study that takes a seemingly mundane backdrop and tells a profound story about people failing. This show, and more importantly, the creative direction it took in its final season, made me seriously reevaluate my life. It encouraged me to be a better person- something I can’t really say for any other show I’ve ever seen.

2 - Breaking Bad - one of the few shows that is able not only to make it 5 seasons, but actually improve in quality over the duration. This show is a perfect example of the advantages of having a single showrunner free to implement their vision with minimal interference or constraints from a network. AMC gave Vince Gilligan what he wanted- in return he created a protagonist that rivals Tony Soprano in greatness, set against a crime epic for the ages.

1 - True Detective - since it’s an anthology series I am ok with singling out season 1 here as a standalone. Quite simply the best season of TV ever made. The acting, the writing, the directing, the atmosphere of the show are mesmerizing and after 6 or 7 rewatches, it still just holds up. An absolute masterpiece that I don’t know will ever be repeated.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Endings are more important than beginnings

Yeah, this is really true. That's why Breaking Bad will always be revered while GoT will not. GoT had high points that were as good or even better than BB but the drop off completely killed it, to the point where it's become its own running joke.

And yeah, Leftovers season 1 is noticeably more cynical and shallow than seasons 2 and 3.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It makes me happy to see Halt and Catch Fire on so many of these lists. I watched that show after seeing it mentioned and raved about in this thread. Thank you goons.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It consistently blows me away seeing all of these shows mentioned here that I've never even heard of. What an interesting time for the medium of television.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

That's it, i'll post the full list and some other stuff soon, but i really need to have some lunch (it's 3pm and I haven't eaten since breakfast) and stretch my back.

I love, love, love the way you included quotes from posters on each of these. Such a great thread, bravo!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

true detective season 1: I'm convinced this was originally conceived as a one off miniseries that the network (HBO) tried to turn into an anthology. the first season is so exquisitely and delicately crafted in comparison to its successors that there is in fact no comparison at all. the final scene of episode 4 featuring director fukunaga's now-trademark oner was a revelation to watch live. McConaughey and Harrelson give career-best performances. the themes of unknowability, of justice, and of the unrelenting passage of time play wonderfully against the backdrop of the ubiquitous bayous and urban decay of deep Louisiana. this is a yearly rewatch for me. time is a flat circle.

From my recollection, Nic Pizzolato had been working on the S1 framework for a long time, possibly years going back to his days as a lit professor. The series was pitched as an anthology from the beginning because they knew they wouldn't be able to get McConaughey and Harrelson to do more than one season. Once S1 blew up, HBO wanted S2 as quickly as possible and NP only had 6 months to write it, which just didn't end up being enough time. Also, part of the magic of S1 was the chemistry between the cast and the director, Cary Fukunaga. Fukunaga ended up leaving prior to S2 due to a dysfunctional relationship with Pizzolato, so S2 ended up being directed by several different people. It's still serviceable and I think Farrel was really good, but several elements just didn't work. Vaughan was miscast IMO, and the motorcycle cop storyline just didn't go anywhere. If the season had focused more on Velcoro and McAdams' characters, I think it would have been a lot better.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

But at the same time, maybe that's part of what makes a show "good", just pure cultural momentum. And there's so much good stuff out there—and it's so impossible to see it all—that once you get out of the first tier you really get sliced up into people's particular genre preferences and such, so the slots can go all over the place.

I agree with this- The Last Kingdom is a great example of a great show that never has taken off, even compared to shows like it. Vikings had its strong points but The Last Kingdom is just a superior show IMO, but it just never got that momentum you're describing, possibly because Vikings came out first and most people probably don't have the appetite for 2 multi-season shows about the Viking conquest of England.

I'm definitely influenced by the opinions of other people too, as much as I would like to deny it. Several of the most enjoyable shows for me this year have been a result of reading this thread. HACF and Barry are two shows I probably would not have watched if not for the thread, and holy poo poo are they gems. What I'm saying is that you guys have loving great taste in shows lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I bounced off Halt and Catch Fire when it was new because it seemed just so completely stone-faced serious; I had assumed from the title (which is a tongue-in-cheek fake assembly language CPU execution command, and the show never seemed about to explain that joke) that it would be a comedy. I guess Silicon Valley is what I really wanted.

Thought about trying again many times, it's always been sitting there in my up-next list, but since cutting the cord I don't have a way to watch it without spending extra.

I did a rewatch with my wife and she didn't like it after 2-3 episodes but she got hooked very soon after. She loved it and we have pretty varied tastes in shows. I hear you though, about having to sign up for a service for one show. gently caress that lol