Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This is not easy. Is it fair to look more harshly at shows that ended bad over shows that started out bad ?

Show 1 seasons: Decent > Good > Great > Mediocre > Terrible

Show 2 seasons: Terrible > Mediocre > Decent > Good > Great

Most people will hate show 1 while looking at show 2 at 'just needing to find its feet' before becoming the greatest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
20: Bunheads
Such a joy to watch, any random episode is fun to rewatch on its own and still has little new things to discouver like a
vicious dig at Scott Rudin long before it was the hip thing to do. There is also the incredible work done to shoot long, one take
dance scenes in a ballet studio that is all mirrors. With kid actors whose hours are extremely short and on a tiny budget.
Amy Sherman-Palladino has some podcast interviews on making the show that are fascinating. I chose this over Maisel which has
somewhat drifted from the core characters to staging elaborate period scenes.

19: Derry Girls
Rather then choosing between Bunheads and this, I just put them both on. It's a top 20 after all. Again, a show that will
be enjoyable again and again.

18:Legends of Tomorrow
After season 1 I would never have guessed this would end up here. But the Time Idiots pulled it off against all odds and logic
as they always do. In all these silly characters they developed depth and growth that the other CW DC shows never managed.

17:Justified
Quite possibly the coolest show ever. Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins played off each other perfectly in the tales of crime and punishment
in Harlan County, Where the sun comes up about ten in the mornin' And the sun goes down about three in the day a hard place where hard men
and women do what they can to survive. And barely anyone leaves Harlan alive.

16:Spartacus
Hidden beneath all the sex and blood is one of the best written shows I've ever watched. Every major character has a crystal
clear motivation for their actions and everything is driven by those actions in a believable (in the show world) way. At its core the love
between Batiatus and Lucretia which drives it all which is beautiful in a way. Tragedy robbed the show of its star but it was able to carry
on with how strong it was as a whole.

15:The 100
Now the final lever was pulled it managed to end in a satisfying way, no small feat considering how it has ended the world the characters lived
in several times. After a weak opening this show became a roller coaster with stakes being raised all the time and hard choices embraced instead
of being avoided.

14:Arcane
A 2021 only show, I loved this so much it had to be on the list. The animation, the voice casting, the characters, the storyline, it gripped me
from start to finish. A show to get close to the screen for to take it all in fully.

13:Orphan Black
Tatiana Maslany playing two dozen distinct characters or variations of them was amazing to watch and made the rest of the show almost irrelevant.
Had the rest been a little better this would have been a top 10 show for sure. For now I honour the show and can't wait for She-Hulk.

12:The Expanse
Of all the shows that are currently on, I'm going to miss this one the most, more then some higher on the list. Getting to fly with the Roci
is always a blast and while this show was resurrected by getting patronage from King Bezos it still will leave us too soon. So many stories left untold.
Why not move half a percent of the budget from Wheel of Time ? Whyyyyy ?

11:Better Call Saul
A great show that could have been as good as BB or better but is held back by wanting to have its cake and eating it too by having
too many characters from BB that are both hard to accept as younger versions of those characters and lack stakes as their fate is set in stone.
Give me a Kim Wexler spin off and it's a sure top 5 entry.

10:Dark
German Precision Story Engineering ! A wildly complex show which does pull it off in a way that feels natural. Their refusal to put
any of their actors in old/young person makeup or use CGI age changing for portraying their characters 33 years apart was a brave one and cannot
have been easy. Although they did cheat a little with having two children of actors playing their young selves. Seeing a new character appear and
instantly recognize them as an old/young known one was great. And sometimes they could not find the right one but hey, some people change a lot
in 33 years. Having experienced German TV shows as either plodding slow krimis or dumb action seeing this was also a sign that the Germans had arrived
on the big TV show stage.

9:Banshee
A brutal and gripping crime drama set far away from the cities they usually take place. One of many budget driven choices of the show which all
come together wonderfully to prove sometimes Less Is More. Barely known (cheap) actors from New Zealand and Denmark, barely known (cheap) directors
from Europe, some vacant (cheap) buildings in a small town and you can make a great show for pennies. A rewatch after watching The Boys is also
useful to appreciate the brilliance of Antony Starr whose often subtle performance got somewhat lost between the more outlandish characters sharing the screen.

8:The Thick Of It
The Peter Capaldi Verbal Abuse Show, it's Yes Minister for the new century and again the most useful lesson in how politics works.

7:Game of Thrones
Like the euology of a sports star, let's not dwell too much on the last years of the deceased. Let's celebrate the early years of triumph and glory, when
GoT was something to look forward to, when every episode generated as much discussion as other shows did over multiple seasons. When this poo poo was good, it
was REALLY good and nothing can take that away, not even the show itself. Or how every appearance of a GoT star now in a movie is a warning it's going to be poo poo.

6:Chernobyl
The scariest horror show in history.

5:The Genius
If you see some of the twists and turns it's hard to believe there is not a team of very talented writers who worked very hard to come up with this.

4:The Leftovers
At first I hated this. But the frustration was exactly how it was intended, the state all the characters in the show were in looking for answers and explanations
that were not coming. And living in the world of today it only has become more clear how brilliantly this show captures the effects of a global crisis.

3:Succession
A master class in acting, writing and production. Shows about rich assholes are as old as TV itself but this takes it to the next level. I shudder to think
how much it costs to get to use that yacht, that fleet of luxury helicopters everytime the Roys mount an invasion into an enemy stronghold or those NYC appartments.
The performances are just as extravagant, showing off a wealth in quality like a Russian oligarch showing off his diamond encrusted cellphone. This talent could sustain
a dozen other shows and they are hoarding it all, it's an outrage.

2:The Crown
Speaking of shows with an absurdly talented cast, this one is every bit as good as Succession and I rate it slightly higher as its story actually progresses as it is driven
by historical events. And every new season finds brilliant new cast members from that seemingly infinte pool of British talent. And it's the minor characters that
get a chance to shine. Pip Torrens, Alex Jennings, Erin Doherty, Emma Corrin, Jane Lapotaire, all are outside the direct main cast but shine brightly.

1: Breaking Bad
No need to add anything to everything said already about BB, it's a stellar achievement on any level you look at it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Looten Plunder posted:

The fourth season of this was in 2012 so it's eligable but the bulk of this show was 2005-2009. You good with that?

Yeah, I did not realize there was this gap but the fourth season is my favourite by far and without that one it would not have made any list.