Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Look at those bangs. She's clearly Hime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Ratoslov posted:

Look at those bangs. She's clearly Hime.

Those are some A+ bangs. Putting my vote for the above.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Raitzeno posted:

Haku assuming we go with the canon name, otherwise just the first name.

Hak Foo

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Her nickname is clearly Francis Xavier

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hime looking good.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Saber, Female, Hakuno Kishinami, nicknamed Hime.

And yes, I do like vanilla flavored icecream.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Female, Caster. Caster, because if you're going to play a game with terrible gameplay for the edification of strangers on the internet, why shouldn't it be the most frustrating way you could possibly do it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

All right, calling it now. We'll be a female Master named Hakuno Kishinami (nicknamed Hime), with Caster as our Servant.

The next update will be next Tuesday.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Wow @ this thread picking the worst waifu. We had Archer right there. :hmmno:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Marluxia posted:

Wow @ this thread picking the worst waifu. We had Archer right there. :hmmno:

But Archer is by far the worst in this game. :V

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

BisbyWorl, How complete do you plan on making this?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

MythosDragon posted:

BisbyWorl, How complete do you plan on making this?

Best case scenario, I plan on doing a run with every servant, but Extra is a very, very big game so we'll see how I feel after finishing Caster's run.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

BisbyWorl posted:

Best case scenario, I plan on doing a run with every servant, but Extra is a very, very big game so we'll see how I feel after finishing Caster's run.

Godspeed.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If Umineko got LPed, I believe this can too.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If Umineko got LPed, I believe this can too.

Yeah, but Umineko doesn't have Extra's combat. :v:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

So as it turns out, I'm an idiot!

I completely forgot about the nickname! :suicide:

So yeah, vote on whatever you want this to be. Or I could just use our first name.

How about...Gudako?

Edit: annnnd it turns out I'm late. Whoops. Disregard my suggestion!

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 11, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update V - One more time

Music: None

Last time, we had a vote.

And the winner, by a large margin, was Caster!

Now, let's take a step back.

Sound: School bell ringing

My headache worsens day by day, until it finally buzzes in my head like an alarm. That day. In potent numbness, I wake up twice as fast as normal.

I may wind up back in bed if I let go and faint- For some time, I have been embracing a rush of useless information. The normal stuff you'd see at a school, like the hustle and bustle of my classmates by the entrance. It hasn't changed. It hasn't changed. —When I push the thought, my field of vision fizzles. Today/Again today, there's a crowd of students milling in front of the school gate, and more are being directed that way. As to what's going on— There's a boy in a black uniform in front of the school gate. He's my friend/as I recall. He's Issei Ryuudo/as I recall. I remember this from the first time. When Issei notices me looking at him, he pushes through the crowd.

Well at least our new protagonist is a bit quicker on the draw than the last one (who will now be referred to as Newshound for what little time he has left).

They're already at the 'everyone else is monochrome' phase of this!

Hmm? Why do you look so surprised? We announced at last week's assembly that this month the student council would strictly enforce school rules.

If this sounds familiar, that's because we heard the exact same thing with Newshound at the very beginning.

He runs through his spiel, as if this was the first time he'd ever disclosed the information. I already know this. I know it. I already know what happens. It's happened more than once.

First, let me check your student ID. I shouldn't need to remind you, but it should be on you at all times.

My log-in ID is being checked. It's so obvious now. I answer clearly to the question that usually makes me go dizzy.

We'll be going with a female student.

Named Hakuno Kishinami.

Nicknamed Hime, to go with her haircut.

No more fakeouts, this is who we'll be playing as from here until the credits.

There she is now!

I feel nauseous, and I know it has nothing to do with what I ate for breakfast this morning. I feel nauseous because of the world around me. It's repeating itself over and over, and that's making me sick—

Now for the uniform inspection. ...Collar, check! Pant hems, check! And your socks...check!

Hakuno just books it past Issei.

I want him to get out of my way. I want this repetition to stop. I push him aside and go forward. I'm not nice about it, either.

But he doesn't even notice.

Your nails are evenly cut, and your haircut is sensible. Indeed, quite remarkable. You're a model Tsukumihara Academy student.

He keeps on talking loudly, even though he's facing no one. I have a headache. I'm shivering. I know one thing for sure. This is wrong. This is not the school I know! It can't be! I have to go. I have to hurry and wake up. Or else it will be too late. But, who am I— awakening for—

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

Hello static my old friend...

Uneasiness. Futility. Emptiness. I want someone to explain to me the true nature behind all of these feelings. There must be a key somewhere. Something that will have the answers to all of my questions.

The NPCs in this room are unchanged, although the guy who told Newshound about the club has vanished.

The writers also forgot to change the description on Newshound's desk.

In the rest of the school, everyone else has vanished.

Even little Alice.

Going to 1F plays a quick cutscene. We get a repeat of Leo walking towards the door.

But this time, a monochrome Newshound follows.

The moment I step foot on the first floor, my feelings of unease intensify. There is a student wearing a red Uniform...Leo, the new transfer student. The instant I lay eyes on him, I immediately feel intimidated and humiliated. There is also someone trailing behind him. It looks like...one of my classmates... The more I think, the more I realize that Leo isn't the only anomaly I've come across while on campus. There are other things that seem...off...as well. It's becoming clearer now. There are people who shouldn't exist. Students that mysteriously vanish. The fabric of reality is coming unraveled.

Don't turn away now. What defines the world you know? Don't turn away now. There is a reason why you're here. Come. Do not allow yourself to close your eyes to the truth.

We don't even get the option to try and leave.

As Hakuno is a fair bit sharper than Newshound, and refuses to go near the instant death gate.

So all we can do is retrace our steps for the first time.

If that is the case, this world is in some ways more real than the real world it represents. How about you guys? What are your thoughts on this?

"You guys." Of course Leo knew Hakuno was here all along.

You guys? For a moment, it feels as if he is including me in his comment. However, Leo begins speaking to my classmate, seemingly oblivious to my presence.

Greetings. I believe this is the first time we've had an actual conversation.

Leo gives me a smile with no hostility. However, I have the suspicion that there is something malicious behind his smile.

Attending school wasn't half-bad. I've never had the opportunity to go to one before now. In that respect, this has been quite an interesting experience. ...However, the time for fun has come to an end. I did not come here to play at being a student. No matter how enjoyable the detour, eventually one must return to their appointed path. And for me, the time to do so has arrived...

With those final words, Leo turns his back on me.

No, that's not quite right. I don't think farewell would be accurate in this situation. For reasons I cannot explain, I have the distinct feeling that we will see each other again. So I guess I should use the more congenial, "See you later". Well, it's time for me to move on. I wish you the best of luck.

Leo walks through the wall. Again.

Leo said as much, even going so far as to look in my direction... For some inexplicable reason, I'm not surprised that Leo knew I was spying on him. I am trying to get things straightened out in my mind when Leo suddenly...disappears.

Hey, fun fact, if you looked closely back when Leo was introduced:

You can see both Hakunos (female Hakuno in front, male Hakuno near the door) sitting next to Newshound. Leo wasn't paying attention to him at all. Poor kid never stood a chance.

The kid himself walks to his inevitable death.

The student who is following him also disappears after touching the same spot on the wall. At the same moment he vanishes, my vision distorts and the shock threatens to overwhelm me. What is going on here...? I wonder if this place is the source of my unease...

Much like before, we have to follow.

I don't want to know.

I rub my eyes, willing the strange things I have seen to go away. I feel like the truth that waits ahead will be more unforgiving than I could possibly imagine. I'd rather live my life not knowing any terrible truths. I'm willing to forgo knowledge so that I can keep living a normal, average life.

Interestingly, Hakuno gets a different speech for this. But that still leaves us stuck here, so...

I want to know.

The atmosphere changes. There's a doorway, an entrance, where the concrete wall used to be. It's not something of this world. There's no doubt this door leads to someplace unfathomable. I bid farewell to the false world, and take my first step toward the truth.

Music: Stops

Farewell, static, for the final time.

Another effigy is already waiting for us.

An entrance to another world- Beyond this door, the previous statement perfectly describes the view before me. Walking behind me is my strange, silent attendant. It is to be my sword and shield for what lies ahead... A disembodied voice suddenly confirms my thoughts. Although I have yet to learn anything, I need to do something besides stand here. At the very least, there might be some clues to this bizarre experience up ahead. —I have no choice but to head into the darkness with only this strange doll as protection.

Like Newshound, we push on.

Music: Deathly Silent

Unlike Newshound, we have a longer trip to our destination.

A long path.

With a flash, things start to appear.

Like these cubes.

And those pellets.

And finally, a glowing hallway.

Get used to these, we'll be seeing a lot of them.

A bit further, and we reach the end of this hallway.

But we're not there yet.

No longer a typical school campus, the floors and walls, the air, even the aura are slightly off. It wouldn't surprise me to see a monster pop out from the shadows. It's very much like a dungeon here.

With a shocking suddenness, a voice begins speaking. It sounds like it's coming from the empty sky above.

If you are looking for answers, you must reach the goal. Now, please step forward.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

We're at the bottom of a vast ocean. Swords cover the seabed, the bones of a great beast fill the water.

Up ahead is a floating cube.

That's right, kids, we got a ~tutorial dungeon~! It only took close to 2 hours of gameplay and 5 updates!

Inside of it is a farewell present of sorts for those about to face the coming trial. Touch it to open it.

Inside the Folder is an Ether Shard, which heals for 200 HP.

Next to the cube is a sphere. God help us when the triangles show up.

But you won't actually fight as you are too fragile. The effigy given to you will fight in your stead. If your effigy is ever destroyed in battle, you will no longer be shielded from harm. To put it bluntly, you will die. So be very careful in battle. But there's no need to be afraid...for now. Just do what I say and you'll be perfectly safe for the time being. First off, why don't I explain a little bit about battles? First of all, there are three basic commands that you can issue in battle: ATTACK, GUARD, and BREAK. Each turn in battle is composed of six actions, and you'll need to tell your effigy what your strategy is to be.

The enemy before you should be quite easy to defeat as it will only perform "BREAK". "BREAK", which is focused solely on power, shouldn't be much of a problem against "ATTACK". Now, use the "ATTACK" command to destroy the program.

Fine, I will.

The other one just repeats the explanation.

Music: Battle - First Chimeric Lunar Sea

Agreeing instantly starts a fight.

The reason for the thread title, Extra's combat is just Rock-Paper-Scissors. Guard beats Attack beats Break beats Guard. I'll go further into why this is so bad once we have an actual fight.

Hitting Square brings up the skill menu, which is divided into Skills, Code Casts, and Items. Skills are moves used by your partner, and take the place of a standard attack for that action, but our effigy has none. Code Casts and Items are both used by us personally, but we have no Code Casts and only the one Ether Shard. Each round gives you one Master action, which can be used at any point and goes before that set of attacks.

The turn indicator will let you know how a clash will resolve. You know, in case you can't keep track of the arrows on the bottom left for whatever reason.

Being a tutorial, this is an effortless win.

Win a clash, do some damage.

Winning three clashes in a row...

Lets you use an Extra Attack for some free damage. You can use two Extra Attacks every round, provided you win all six clashes.

The Watcher doesn't last long. Maybe possess a girl in red next time, jackass.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

One thing to know is that in each turn, you'll have to plan a series of six moves that will defeat your foe. ...The goal is still far ahead. If you must bask in the afterglow of your victory, do so while moving forward.

Seriously, this place has a ton of bones.

It also has another sphere at the top of this ramp.

Do not be alarmed, that enemy isn't strong enough to harm you. It is programmed to only use "ATTACK". While "ATTACK" is a potent action, using "GUARD” will allow you to defend and then counterattack. ”GUARD” can be used to reduce the damage caused by an enemy attack, but I trust you know this.

...Now that you know how this battle will unfold, use the appropriate command to defeat the enemy program.

This is a repeat of the last fight with a different flavor.

Guarding attacks inflicts a bit of chip damage. It isn't a major factor, granted, but it is something to keep in mind.

Crits also exist, which deal an extra 50-100% more damage or so.

As you may have already noticed, performing three successful actions in a row result in a "CHAIN". By performing multiple CHAIN attacks, you can perform a devastating follow-up attack on your opponent.

Shut up, voice, I already went over that.

While doing multiple CHAIN attacks in the heat of battle may be difficult, the results make it worth the effort. Now, please proceed.

We now have a bunch of ribcages, as well as a massive skull.

And, you guessed it, another orb.

This program will only use "GUARD" and do nothing in battle but defend against harm. But no matter how stout one's defense may be, it will be for naught against the "BREAK" command.

Remember, always use the appropriate command for any given situation.

Yawn.

Someone as intuitive and observant as you must have already noticed this, each of the three attacks balances each other out, creating a situation where no attack is dominant.

What I just covered is the absolute basics of battle and the minimum info you'll need to know. Once you master the basics, all that's left is to test yourself in battle and gain valuable experience. Now, please proceed.

A closer look at the skull.

We have one last orb before we can leave the tutorial zone.

There are also some nautiluses ammonites floating around. Even this far down, there's still some life.

Like you, your enemies will choose their actions based on the situation and general observation. Their actions will be very difficult for you to predict at first. As you face the same enemy multiple times, you will be able to read their tendencies and patterns accurately.

Being able to guess your opponent's moves with only a limited amount of info is the key to victory!

...Although considering your lack of fighting experience, I may be expecting far too much from you. But anyway, please try your best.

The Pylon Soul here is our first encounter with an unknown command. Enemies in Extra aren't random, and will have a list of possible turns depending on their type. With the moves shown, I'm guessing the two missing commands are Guard and Break, for a 1-1-2-2-1-1 pattern. Makes sense, right?

Wrong.

Get hosed.

This is why Extra's combat got slammed so hard. Everything is either solved for you, or utter RNG where failing hits hard. Just look at my health, one tie and one loss cost me 1/3 of my HP!

This is the entire framework of the game, hours upon hours of Rock-Paper-Scissors where you know most of the moves.

As an aside, Guarding is the safest option on unknown moves, as a tie with Attack or Break has a chance to deal damage to both sides, while a Guard tie will never deal damage. As your own HP is the most important number, being able to have a 2/3 chance of taking no damage is a lifesaver.

...unless the enemy throws a string of Breaks, in which case they break you in half! Riveting
loving gameplay, no? :shepface:

Anyways, the Pylon Soul is close enough to death that those three unknowns don't matter.

There's a lot of ammonites floating around.

Plus this giant orb to the right.

Newshound is almost certainly dead by now, huh?

Next time: A plea, a mark, and a Servant.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 12, 2023

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Both times I've tried to play Extra, it's been on an emulator. And both times I've tried to play it, I've gotten maybe a third of the way through the game before going "gently caress it" and just save-stating my way through combat. And NEITHER of those times did I try to play at all without an "all enemy patterns" guide on hand.

What I'm getting at is absolutely gently caress Fate/Extra's combat. I'm hoping the remake is better in every conceivable way.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So it never gets better, huh? No skills that help with predicting, no tells on enemies to know what their patterns are? Just endless rock paper scissors?

...Glad I'm not the one LPing this game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's been a while, but IIRC a lot of servant skills call dynamite, while Hime can output more than enough healing between code casts and items.
Saber and Archer have the hp and defence to power through the discovery phase of each dungeon, while Caster has enough mana to call dynamite whenever she's in danger of getting extra'd.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Arzaac posted:

So it never gets better, huh? No skills that help with predicting, no tells on enemies to know what their patterns are? Just endless rock paper scissors?

It 'sort of' gets better, but I don't want to go into too much detail right now, I'd rather let Bisby handle that if possible.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Arzaac posted:

...Glad I'm not the one LPing this game.

There is a way to deal with it, which I'll get into for the first real dungeon.

The problem is that it shifts the game from 'solved or RNG' to 'solved', so now you're just going through the motions for 30 hours or so per run.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
Every enemy has a pattern you can expliot, whether that's just a prediliction to a certain move or a more conrete rotation you can predict with just one attack, healing is nearly unlimited, and you can just eventually just pick Gun to skip a bunch of the guesswork. The main issue is that this kind of makes enemies a massive threat early on when you don't know what they can do, and later on they're basically just a solved problem, and mostly just a waste of time you have to do for the XP.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
This is why I dropped it so quickly. I could get into it if there was some type of strategy to it or it had room for some complexity, but the two types of combat being nothing more than "Follow this exact pattern" or "Follow this pattern and make two or three guesses about some of it" is just so dull.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I dont remember having much of an issue with it when I played when it was new, but I played with Saber and remember being intimidated by the concept of Caster being a hard mode and never did a 2nd play, so I guess Saber was difficult enough. The remake was announced around the time I considered doing so, so I never got around to it either.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Confession time: I read the RPS as 'real person slash/real person shipping' and I was like 'yep, it's a Fate game, makes sense'.

Still. The combat is really, really bad. I like a lot of Extra but it's one of those games I'm definitely never going to play for myself.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm really grateful for the this thread and all the effort you're putting in, by the way. I've wanted to check out the extraverse but the last time I tried reading an LP of Fate/Extra they named the protagonist 'fag bals' and I just couldn't.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I appreciate the multiple perspectives on the dungeon in these screenshots. Mechanically it's hard to praise Extra but the art design is pretty spectacular. You see some very pretty pelagic sights outside of those Tron box hallways in this game.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Also for the record, those are ammonites.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also for the record, those are ammonites.

Curse my inferior knowledge of deep sea life! :argh:

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

t3isukone posted:

Confession time: I read the RPS as 'real person slash/real person shipping' and I was like 'yep, it's a Fate game, makes sense'.

I mean, it can mean both!!

Also I am super interested in this LP, I have never played a Fate game but have watched some of the anime and play FGO so I excited to see where some of the terms used actually come from/see where some servants were first introduced!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update VI - Night of fate

Video: Servant Summoning

We can already see Newshound's corpse off to the side, but the first dude's effigy has vanished.

I go as pale as the corpse before me and I can no longer think coherently. All I can do is stare in bewilderment. It is at this moment—

We already know how this story goes.

The fallen effigy lying next to the male student comes to its feet with a clatter. After having to fight several enemy programs to get here, it's obvious that this thing is an enemy as well. Without warning, it suddenly twists around and comes right at me.

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

Unlike Newshound, Hakuno gets an actual fight!

But there's no preview.

Surely there's no chance the other guy spams Break this turn, right?

Five breaks and one guard, what are the odds!

Yeah, this fight is just as unwinnable as Newshound's.

In fact, this is the only mandatory fight in the game that's outright rigged like this.

Even if you use savestates, the game will change the rogue effigy's turn on the fly. You'll get a few wins, a few ties, but at the end of the day...

We only do slightly better than Newshound.

Man, I'm getting some major déjà vu here.

...I can hear the sound of a distant voice.

The time has come. With your inevitable loss, I will consider this round of preliminaries to be over. —Farewell. I pray you'll find peace in your annihilation.

That is the voice's final words to me. I don't have the power to protest. All I can do is stare at the floor. ...I think I'm going to die here. Suddenly, at the edge of my now hazy vision, a number of brown colored lumps seem to rise from the ground. Actually, it might be that I just noticed them now. They may have been there from the beginning for all I know. Those lumps are the bodies of an untold number of fallen Tsukumihara Academy students.

This has been going on for a while.

The guy before me wasn't the only one to fall. All of the others made it here and died, unable to do anything. ...And in a very short while, I suppose I'll become one of them. —Maybe I should just close my eyes now. I did all that I could, so maybe it'd be better for it to end now.

Interestingly, accepting death is the default option here. Even mechanically, you have to go against the flow to survive.

Just let it end now.

My eyelids lower as if weighted down and my consciousness begins to fade as I seem to melt into the floor. And just like that, I slowly fall into a deep slumber from which I will never awaken—

Some Dead Ends are kinda obvious. :v:

I refuse to give up.

But while Newshound just gave up and accepted his death, Hakuno is cut from a different cloth.

I refuse to give up... I summon all of my strength in an attempt to get back on my feet. However, as I try to move, an unbearably intense pain shoots through my entire body. If that's how it's going to be... No, if this is...

The top option gets the exact same Dead End.

I still refuse to give up.

I don't want it to end like this. I cannot ignore the intense pain coursing through my body. I've reached a point where I no longer see stars as my eyes feel like they're on fire. I feel like all five of my senses are being ripped from my body.

Music: Fear

It's not right that I disappear here. My consciousness, shot through with waves of distortion, screams out against the injustice of it all. What was the purpose of suffering through those headaches just to fade away here and now? What were they all for if I just fade away here and now?

There's another burst of static, but Hakuno refuses to stop.

A voice chimes in.

I have absolutely no idea of who you are or where you're from, but your lamentation, your perseverance— While other gods choose to ignore you, your cries have reached my ears!

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea (:siren:You should probably listen to this.:siren:)

I mean, I'm sure this absolutely charming soul is a wonderful person! Please, can I have it?

The obligatory 'Are you my Master', moment.

A small note, Caster is using 'goshujin-sama' for 'Master'. While it
does mean Master, it can also mean 'Husband.'

Yes.

Although she'll occasionally use Master.

To be honest, I, the mighty Ta- I mean, I hoped that I could be a Servant to someone like you! ...Oh, my abilities might be a tad limited so you might not be happy with me, Master, but...I'll try my best!

~

No.

Hey, that's just horrible and mean! You really need to get a clue! If you don't make a contract with me right now, you're as good as dead. Are you okay with going out a loser?!

Pushed along by the intensity of the kimono-clad person in front of me, I "agree" to become her "dear Master."

Yay! Now things are as they should be!

A mark appears on our hand.

She takes a hold of my hand and helps me to my feet. From the hand she had grabbed comes a sudden warmth...and then a sharp pain, like I've been cut by a knife. On the back of my hand, as though tattooed, is a strange symbol that looks like some kind of crest. Totally confused, I alternate between staring at the mark on my hand and the person standing before me. And then—

Combat subtitles!

These are the reason I got the Perfect Patch. Without it, you have no way of knowing what people are saying in a fight unless you already know Japanese.

With a fully revealed combat preview, you'd have to intentionally lose this fight.

To give a point of comparison between Caster and the other Servants.

Newshound's effigy got killed in a full round.

Caster needs two more hits to kill. Even without the random +20 HP the effigy got between fights, that would still leave it one hit away from death.

And remember, every mistake in combat is punishing, doubly so now that we have the fragile Caster, so having to drag out a fight due to a lack of killing power can make things go very wrong, very fast.

But that doesn't matter right now.

The effigy gives 10 EXP, which nets us our first level!

It also gives us a bit of cash and another healing item.

The EXP requirements for levels is a simple Level2 x 10.

Yes, this does mean EXP reqs increase exponentially and make level grinding an absolute pain in the rear end, how could you tell? :shepicide:

Leveling gets us a small boost to HP and MP, and also 3 skill points.

You use skill points to increase your non-HP/MP stats and unlock skills.

You cannot use skill points on the spot.

The skill point place takes a bit of time to unlock.

This means that Caster has nothing to actually cast for several more updates, and is stuck slapping enemies for pitiful damage.

:shepicide:

Music: School III

She continues to talk. ...However, the sound of her voice doesn't quite reach my ears. The heat coming from the mark on my hand grew in intensity during the fight and the resulting pain has become unbearable and burns through my consciousness.

You can use it to give three orders that must be obeyed. Think of them as disposable strengthening spells. It is also proof of your participation in the Holy Grail War. If you lose it for some reason, you will die.

This makes using Command Seals much more restrictive compared to Stay Night, where losing all of them cuts the contract with your Servant, but you're still in the Holy Grail War.

Once again, I hear that voice. I somehow manage to ignore the pain and listen to what it has to say.

Congratulations. You have endured much to make it here. Now rest for a while; you've achieved your first goal. It was an incredibly clumsy effort to say the least, but that's what made it all the more entertaining. I've had this duty for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen a Master as helpless as you. Nevertheless, be proud of your achievement. Your quick thinking came as a result of nerves and rashness.

...Thinking about it, the voice sounds like that of a thirty year old man. And it's really irritatingly smug. For some reason, I can see the owner of the voice as a priest, dressed in a somber cassock.

Yorokobe, shonen shoujo.

Oh, you are curious about my identity? I am honored, but I am insignificant. I am merely a part of the system. I am just a guide, tasked with giving a standard message and given the personality of a prior participant. I am no more than words, no more than the mountain you just conquered, no more than a record of the past.

A record— So if I raise any objections to this voice, does it mean I won't receive any answers in return?

Exactly. —Well, this is unexpected. You have received a commendation. Something about you "having a light."

I have no clue who would say such a thing about me. ...But that short phrase struck my heart because, for some unknown reason, I knew the words were sincere. And as for "I expect good things from you." It seemed like more of a comnand than an encouragement.

For most, the monotony of everyday life continues on without end. Your decision to look beyond the accepted and progress means you have earned the right to exist.

I have no idea what he's talking about. The Holy Grail War...? The right to exist...?

People called it the "Holy Grail" and fought endlessly in an attempt to gain sole possession of it. This war— The System you find yourself in now is an evolution of those struggles. You stand at the entrance of a deadly struggle where many Wizards will perish in pursuit of the Holy Grail... Listen, magi. Had I not bestowed upon the Earth desire, you'd be merely saints capable of committing sin. Now, fight to the death. The fiery throne of heaven will only receive those with the strongest of desires-

The voice reverberates throughout this hidden chapel, as if it were the voice of a god. Kill...? Magi...? Holy Grail that grants wishes...? These questions, and more, swirl inside my head and almost seem to carve themselves into my flesh.

In war, a weapon is needed. That is your Servant. They're the spear that pierces, the shield that protects. A Heroic Spirit whose purpose is to clear your way to the Grail. That is the one who stands beside you.

I look over at the young woman with the fox tail, who returns my look with a glowing smile. She is my Servant...

It seems you have decided, and with that decision as paynent, I now open the gates to the Holy Grail War.

The marks on my hand, my Command Seal, once again begin to become excruciatingly painful. It's over. I can't take it anymore.

We finally fall.

I reach the limits of my endurance and my mind starts to shut down. As I lose consciousness, I can vaguely hear the voice's final words.

No matter the era, deciding who is worthy through battle is the divine providence of man. Magi who have been invited here by the Moon; show me your true strength—

The loving Moon? :stare:

Next time: Learning, talking, and blue.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 12, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea (:siren:You should probably listen to this.:siren:)

If you click no other links in this LP, at least click this one.

Song slaps just as hard now as it did back when the game came out. :allears:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update VII - Educational guidance

We start off with this quick speech. The whole thing is voiced, but it isn't a voice we know.

Sound: Burning

And now everything is on fire.

The conflict started here. With this, the world that was will be restored. It is here that "I" alone had survived. Don't remember/Never forget. Oblivion is salvation and sin. Never forget. "I" was born from perdition. This must be a nightmare. This had to be somewhere; it could be anywhere, these events that occurred in the true memories of childhood. A torrent of blood flows, and a voice resonating with bitter resentment can be heard. Lives fade away without a thought. Friends, family, strangers: All gone. Soldiers with guns, families trying to hold together, a grotesque struggle to the last, until a gentle peace descends as death comes to claim them. —I could not accept all I have seen. The question of "why?" never left me. Even with the divide between conflict and catastrophe, why did such a tragedy occur? No, more importantly— Why has this world been turned into a hell on Earth?

Sound: Rain

The rain wets their cheeks as their eyes close one last time, dying forgotten and alone. Seeing this, I struggle to rise from the depths of death. I will not accept what I have been shown. If I can live again, I will definitely— But there are no second chances. And before long, the rain has cleansed the scorched earth.

Sound: Birds chirping

On the plus side, we finally got into the Nurse's Office!

But things look...

...a tad odd.

With that, I wake up in the nurse's office. I must've collapsed and was brought here. So was that world, the effigy that blocked my way, and that Servant...all a dream as well? No. This nurse's office is far different than the one I knew. It's similar, but off, somehow...

Caster pops in.

Ah, good morning my dear Master! I'm glad to see you've finally decided to wake up.

Music: School III

The overwhelming, unforgettable presence of someone suddenly appears beside my bed— I thought I was dreaming, but the ears and tail are real. There's no way to mistake her for human. But after seeing her incredible powers in the fight against the effigy, I don't care what she is.

Um... You do know all about the Holy Grail War, right?

Saying yes just skips an info dump.

Holy Grail War?

Holy Grail War? I've heard mention of it, but what is it, exactly?

You were asleep for a long time so your memory might still be fuzzy. Let me explain, then. First, the Holy Grail. It supposedly held the blood of a savior and can grant any—

A holy relic said to perform miracles that became well-known through the Arthurian cycle.

Hime may be utterly clueless about this whole Grail War thing, but she certainly knows her trivia.

You might've forgotten this, too, but you're one of those Wizards who've come to fight for the Holy Grail.

Also, though it's called the Holy Grail, there's no way it could be the real thing. But don't worry about that. The fact that it can grant wishes makes it a Holy Grail of sorts.

As for the rules, Servants and Wizards fight together and losers give up their Command Seals.

My eyes are drawn to my left hand where I've been marked with three strange symbols.

Masters continue to duel until only one is left to claim the Holy Grail...I think. But don't worry! My dear Master is a lock to make it all the way. It'll be a walk in the park!

I doubt it's that simple. While I have a million questions, at least I know the basics now. And whether I want to be here or not, I'm now a participant in this Holy Grail War nonsense.

Yes. Understanding the basics is more than good enough for now. Okay, now that's out of the way, let's get to the important stuff. Do you know what Servants are?

Again, saying yes skips this.

Sorry, I don't have a clue.

Caster starts bowing continuously.

After a brief panic attack brought on by embarrassment, she continues her explanation.

Servants are Heroic Spirits drawn from history to help Wizards fight in the Holy Grail War. Those whose actions continue to have an affect long after their deaths become Heroic Spirits. ...I 'm not all that heroic, though. Anyway, Servants are manifestations of those legends. But whether actual Heroic Spirits were summoned in past Holy Grail Wars is subject to debate. —But this time, the Holy Grail has done a better job of reproducing Heroic Spirits than any human!

Also, according to the rules of the Holy Grail War, Servants are divided into seven classes.

Saber.

Considered to be one of the strongest classes, Sabers usually have a high rank in Magic Resistance. Artoria Pendragon was the Saber in Stay Night.

Lancer.

With more speed than Sabers, Lancers tend to have Battle Continuation to survive normally fatal blows in combat. Cu Chulainn was the Lancer in Stay Night.

Archer.

The ranged specialist, naturally. Archers have Independant Action, letting them move without support from their Master for longer periods of time. Shirou's future self was the Archer in Stay Night, as well as Gilgamesh, who survived the events of Zero.

Rider.

Riders have the aptly named Riding skill, letting them get more out of any vehicle or mount they use. Medusa was the Rider in Stay Night.

Caster.

The support class. While bad in a direct fight, they can use Territory Creation to set up a workshop and start churning out tools that can close the gap. Medea was the Caster in Stay Night.

Assassin.

The weakest class in a direct fight, Assassins can use Presence Concealment to hide themselves, then make a direct attempt on an enemy Master's life. Sasaki Kojiro and Hassan-i-Sabbah were the Assassins in Stay Night.

Oh and, of course, Berserker.

Berserkers are the wildcard class, using Mad Enhancement to boost their normal abilities and driving them mad in exchange. While this can make a weak Servant strong, and a strong Servant nearly impossible to beat, it also kills any plans more advanced than sending them at the enemy and hoping for the best. Heracles was the Berserker in Stay Night.

Note: Caster currently has no long-range magic attacks, and is a ways off from getting any.

Understatement of the year, right here.

Caster... She seems unusually outgoing, but there's no denying her abilities as a Servant. Wait... If all Servants are Heroic Spirits, I wonder who Caster was in real life.

Huh? My true name? I'm far too insignificant for you to bother with my true name, Master! Please, just call me Caster.

Big words from someone who almost blurted it out when we met.

That way, my identity won't be revealed to our enemies, who could then use it against us.

Although she raises a good point. As Heroic Spirits are defined by their legends, knowing their True Name will let you easily look up any abilities and weaknesses they may have. A Servant that kicks in your door and tanks everything you throw at him without a scratch is terrifying, but if you know his name is Achilles, you instantly know to go for the heel.

Her exposition delivered, Caster vanishes.

With that, my Servant disappears into the ether. However, I can feel their presence nearby. They must be staying out of sight when they're not needed so their identity can't be compromised. But how their identity would be guessed just by their appearance is beyond me.

Sound: Door opening

Oh no, it's Sakura.

Oh wait, she's no longer glitching out.

You don't seem to have any injuries, so feel free to leave when you feel like it. Also, all of your memories have been restored by the SE.RA.PH so do not worry. Any magi that seek the Holy Grail have their memories suppressed and are given those of a student. Only Masters who managed to recover themselves are allowed to enter the main tournament. Now that you have regained your memories, please review them to make sure they're complete.

Sound: Heartbeats

That's not right. Outside of my name, I can't recall anything of my past. I realized that everyone around me was forced to believe they were normal students... However, I cannot remember a single thing that happened to me before then!

Her name, and all that legend trivia.

Sound: Stops

Shinji was an actual Master candidate, while Sakura confirms that she, and probably most of the staff here, are honest-to-god AI.

My complaints were totally ignored. It seems that she can't act beyond her programming.

Oh, I should give this to you before I forget.

She gives me some kind of portable terminal. I assume it's for getting messages and whatnot.

As a participant, you should pay attention to any messages that appear on your terminal.

A menu tutorial pops up, but I'll go over that myself.

Good luck in the tournament. It will test your limits.

(examining bed): Why is it that the beds in the nurse's office kind of make me think dirty thoughts?

Well, Hakuno may not remember her family, home, training, or even the reason she joined the War in the first place, but at least she remembered this.

The menu! Interestingly, the tutorial image has a different money count compared to what we actually have.

The Status menu lists, what else, our current status.

We can also flip over to see Caster's stats, which are extremely bad across the board. I'll go over stats once I can actually mess with them.

A Servant's capabilities are determined by the skill of their Master, which goes to show how behind we are.

Hitting Square brings up Caster's skill list, which is currently empty.

Noble Phantasms are a Servant's ultimate attack, but they're so tightly linked to their legend that using it gives away the user's True Name.

Naturally, we won't be seeing Caster's NP for a long, long time.

We can also see how many Command Seals we have left.

Which is kinda strange, as Command Seals are purely a plot element in this, we'll never have the option to blow all three on a whim to instantly Game Over.

Up next, the Matrix menu holds information on ourselves, as well as any Servants we face.

The format of it kinda spoils how many we'll be facing.

Caster's info is barebones right now, but it'll slowly fill in over the course of the game.

The other tabs hold more detailed information for what we have.

Maleficium posted:

The Witchcraft that Caster uses is all physical phenomena performed with her own body. While common Magecraft are programs that "recompose what exists around," Witchcraft are programs that "recompose the raw materials in one's own body." According to Caster's own words: "This time there is only one due to the constraints of the Moon Cell, but originally I could produce a million troops from my multiple tails!" That is really suspicious though.

In an absolutely stunning translation fuckup, the info for Territory Creation lists Caster's True Name. As such, I'll be tweaking it until we learn it in-story.

Territory Creation (C) posted:

This skill allows one to create a reality tailored specifically to their skills as a magus. Unfortunately for Caster, her personality is ill-suited for the task of manipulating reality and she has great difficulty even creating a small-scale crafting studio for creating minor amulets and other types of low-level talismans.

The Equip menu lets us use Mystic Codes (originally called Formal Wear, the Perfect Patch tweaked the term to better match what the series uses today), which gives us Code Casts to use in the field. Right now, all we have is the default Girl's Uniform, which gives an extra 10 Master MP, but has no actual Cast to go with it.

Mystic Codes are types of gear a magus can use, and tend to act like shortcuts for a complex spell. Run some mana through a Mystic Code, and a pre-defined magecraft comes out. The fact that Hakuno can only use Code Casts from Mystic Codes shows just how inept we are at this. Combine that with Caster's non-existant stats, and calling us an underdog is a massive understatement.

Interestingly, the gear abilities are all written out like code. With the Girl's Uniform having boost_mp(10);

The Item menu lists all our stuff. The other tab holds our Mystic Codes.

And System is the original menu we had in the prologue. The Retry button is now available to us, if we end up in a state where we've physically cannot finish the week, we can use it to go back to the start of the week and try again.

Music: School IV

The entire school now has that blue mesh-like texture slapped on everything.

Meanwhile, the timer from the prologue has stuck around, now giving us a 6 day limit until something happens.

Also the sky is, uh, this.

Let me iiiiiiiiin.

Seeing as my memories were sealed away during the prelims, I'm surprised I made it this far.

Even though the prelims are over and everyone left knows who they are now, the game will still list the other Masters as students.

I went up to the rooftop to get a look at the sky. You should take a look; it's pretty wild.

Sometimes wishes really do come true. I'm so grateful to be here. *Sob*

~

Hey, you wanna team up together?

With YOU? First, how about you get on Shinji's level? Then we'll talk.

The guy's a jerk. It wouldn't be smart to partner with him. He'd stab you in the back, man.

~

If you want to hone in on victory, hone your body! Training does a body good, even a virtual one! You look like the kind of kid who enjoys a good sweat! You like to feeeeel the buuurn, don't ya?

~

Examining the school gate nets us:

The main gate is tightly sealed. It looks like the only way to get out of this place is to be the last one standing.

Oh, didn't you know? Leonardo is sitting pretty to be the next head of the Harway family. He must be some kind of prodigy to be chosen as heir at his age.

~

The door that lead to the tutorial dungeon is still there, examining it nets us:

The entrance is sealed tight.

The Commissary has also opened up.

The Commissary acts as our shop, selling both items and Mystic Codes.

For items, we have the Yakisoba Bread and Curry Bread, which restores 5 and 3 Master MP, respectively, as well as the much cheaper Ether Powder (50 HP heal) to go along with the Ether Shards we've found.

If you're foolish enough to play on Normal, spend everything on Ether Powders, they're more cost efficient compared to the Shards.

Right now, the only Mystic Code we can buy is this Durable Gym Uniform, which gives a much larger MP boost than the Girl's Uniform.

However, it
also doesn't have a Code Cast attached, so it'll be equally useless until an actual Cast shows up.

Up to 3F.

You haven't seen Tsukumihara until you've seen our Rooftop!

~

So, okay, all the Student Council types are NPCs. They're dressed in boring old black. Figures. If you have a question, I'm sure they'll answer you, or die trying.

If you think back to Newshound's last day alive, one of the club members was starting to break through the brainwashing, while the Editor didn't have a care in the world. As they were both wearing brown, the Editor was probably an actual human and died when time ran out.

~

Hmph. You're a Master, too. Don't come near me, I have nothing to say to you.

The writers made sure to flip the descriptions on the bathrooms if you play as a girl.

This.

Fucker.

See, for whatever reason, the translators changed his lines.

The problem is that said new lines are either a complete non-sequitur without context, or spoils a late game plot point with context.

So I'm not even going to dignify him with a conversation. He can stand here, utterly silent, until he dies.

The lady who tried to blow up the school has made it through, naturally.

As well as the spooky ghost doll.

With no one else to talk to, time to finally check the rooftop.

Although it looks like Rin beat us up here.

Music: Duel of Fate

The girl pats the walls and floors murmuring something to herself. She's... We've never met, but she can't be anyone but Rin Tohsaka. She has a nice face and figure, gets good grades, and is popular at Tsukumihara Academy. From what I hear, she even makes Shinji jealous. However, she became popular while the school was at peace. Things are different now. That defiant gaze is nothing like the vacant smile of a popular kid. The Holy Grail War— Before I knew it, the school had been turned into a battlefield. Rin knows it, too. ...Yeah, I hadn't registered it before, but we're all predators now. It's kill or be killed. I have to acknowledge that as the truth, even if I don't want to.

Her eyes soften as she looks at me.

You thought becoming a girl and dodging the Leo BL route makes us safe?

Yeah, you. Hmm, I haven't checked the NPCs out much yet. Aha, I know a simple way. Don't you move.

You fools.

Imagine that. You're warm, though you shouldn't be. ...Huh? That's weird, seeing a red cheek flush like that...

You utter simpletons.

Things have become even gayer.

Her pat-down of my shoulders and stomach seems playful compared to the harsh gaze from earlier. Transfixed, I'm unable to move as her pale fingers slide over me.

Interesting. You're more well-built than I had expected. You look and feel real. Maybe more real than most people.

Rin takes a moment to talk to open air.

She looks behind her, scowling. Although invisible, her Servant must be there.

W-Wait. That means when I felt up—

She must be thinking about it now, because she's blushing. As am I.

Ugh, how embarrassing...

You know Rin's Servant will never let her forget this.

I'm pretty sure she was addressing an off-color comment coming from her Servant there.

It could have been my imagination. Or a hacker—such a detailed NPC would rarely exist otherwise.

Anyway, you're to blame for being confusing. You're too bland to be anything but an NPC. Nothing but a blank look on your face, even now. Were the prelims too boring to jog your memories?

...She touched on a subject that I would rather not think about, even in jest. It kind of grinds me to a halt.

Uh... No way. Your memories still haven't returned? That's...really not good. Once you enter the Holy Grail War, the only way out is to win. Leaving prematurely isn't allowed. Even without memories, or previous battle experience, you still have to fight.

...Oh well. It doesn't matter. You'll be defeated in the Holy Grail War soon enough.

As the concern disappears from her voice, I glimpse the real Tohsaka, my opponent in the Holy Grail War. It isn't personal. She considers everyone in the Holy Grail War her enemy.

Unlike my Servant, I have no witty response to my future rival. I have to win. Now that I know what's at stake, I have to win.

...Well, I guess I pity you. We're not cracking into the system and destroying it, we're hacking. I don't know what's on the other side of the SE.RA.PH's wall once it goes down.

Did your soul get jarred after you made it to the main event? If it's lost or unreadable, then how about you investigate later?

Well, in any case, you don't look like you're cut out for fighting. Thanks to excitement, or nerves, everything feels unreal. No matter if you have memories or not.

You can't help feeling like you're in a dream. It'll be hard to win feeling so disoriented.

So I've lost...my memories. Who am I? What's my story? What am I even doing in this Holy Grail War in the first place? All I know is that I'm a Master, with a Servant at my command.

Music: School IV

(middle): I logged in on a whim and somehow made it through the prelims. I must be a prodigy or something. My first opponent is Tohsaka, but I'm not too worried about it. I'll take her out in a flash.

Ahahahahahaha.

~

(far left): Hey, Kishinami! Remember me? We were in the same class in the preliminaries.

Sorry, uh...

Don't worry, it's not your fault. It's that these default avatars all look alike. I really want to try customizing my avatar like Tohsaka or Shinji.

This is the reason why everyone else has generic character models. Skilled people like Rin can change their looks to better match their actual form, while no-talent plebs like ourselves are stuck with whatever the system gives us.

Of course!

Don't worry, you don't have to pretend. We're both using the plain default avatars. People with custom avatars like Tohsaka and Shinji must have some seriously mad skills.

~

(blackboard): If the classrooms are bullpens for Masters, then everyone here must be a Master... Everyone looks so strong. I hope I can keep up.

~

(far right): Once your opponent has been decided, it's like the tournament has officially begun. What? You don't know who you're fighting? You'd better go find Father Kotomine.

He's definitely not human. Well, he's not humane, at least.

Some people don't get new dialogue when the time changes. If I skip over someone, we've already heard what they have to say.

Your Servant's pretty awesome, too. It's invisible, but I can tell.

(far right): Oh, interesting. This is an image database. I bet I can use it to find info about my enemy.

~

(left): Hm, I see... So that's it. Oops, excuse me. I just happened to be learning about my Servant. He's only a minor hero...

This guy is facing the sports section, so who the hell did he summon? Zinedine Zidane? Wayne Gretzky?

Oh... You have amnesia. This isn't your school. It's the staging area for the Holy Grail War. And we, the student council members, will be assisting Masters such as yourself along the way. So, don't hesitate to talk to us. May victory be yours.

Let's see here. Did you know you can open the terminal menu by pressing ▲? All the information you gather ends up there, so I recommend you review it on a regular basis.

~

We of the student council are responsible for ensuring the Holy Grail War runs smoothly. If you have any concerns, speak to someone in a black uniform. We will help as we are able.

Alice has gone off to Wonderland.

While Rin's still on the roof.

I said it already, but we're at war and you're my enemy. I have no desire to be your friend...

*Sigh* Seeing as you can't remember anything, I guess any info would be useful to you.

No matter how much she says otherwise, Rin is a softie at heart.

If it's only about the basics, I'll tell you what I can. That should be enough, right? Beyond the basics, you're on your own. Poke around the SE.RA.PH if you need more specific info.

The second skips to the next set of questions, and the third breaks from this entirely.

What is the SE.RA.PH anyway?

...That's right; you have no clue about anything. Let me start from scratch, then.

With that being said, it works on a level far removed from super computers and networked clusters. The recreation of a single Heroic Spirit is far beyond the capacity of most of the world's computers. But in this place, there are more than a hundred currently in existence. Imagine the power needed to just run the preliminaries, with all of the necessary NPCs, etceteras. Things here are so anomalous that it requires god-like hacking skills just to gain access. And to be able to digitize yourself and exist here requires that you be a Wizard-level Hacker. So, are you okay with what I've told you up until now? Ooookay, then... So, what do you want to know about first?

About the Holy Grail.

As the whole point of this place is to win the Holy Grail, it's probably a good place to start. Since I've never actually seen it in person, I can't fill you in on all of the details.

However, I can safely say that it does exist and its power to grant wishes is beyond doubt. Some western plutocrats have tried to seal it away. Others are here to obtain it for themselves. Even dismissing rumor, the power inherent in the Holy Grail is enough to change reality. And only the last Master standing will enter the center of the SE.RA.PH and claim the Holy Grail. That is why all Masters are enemies. Of course, this includes you and me.

About Wizards.

As the SE.RA.PH is a virtual world, I'm sure you're aware that none of us have any substance. Normal hackers enter systems using a program, but methods used by a Spiritron Hacker are far more advanced. A magus will digitize their soul and then insert themselves into virtual worlds such as this one. That lets them process data instantaneously, which would be impossible for normal hackers. Of course, you can't learn to become a magus. You have to be born with the required abilities. Born into it... —Yes, that sounds right. Wizards are ones who are born with the necessary "circuits." There is also what's called Third Magic, which allows weaker Wizards to digitize their souls.

So in this timeline, magi starting using their Magic Circuits to upload themselves into the mainframe instead of dicking around in meatspace.

It also explains why dying here kills you in real life; all the system has to do is hit your soul with an rm -rf and let your physical body waste away as an empty shell.

The Third Magic she mentioned is also a known thing, better known as the Heaven's Feel of Stay Night. Heaven's Feel lets the user materialize their soul, rather than needing a physical body to keep it stable. The fact that Heaven's Feel has become common enough for lesser Wizards to use it for Spiritron Hacking is rather interesting.

About Rin.

Why in the hell are you asking about me? I have no desire to even pretend to be your friend. Ah. You think I'll say something that'll give you an edge. Maybe you're not completely stupid.

However, it's a moot point as you won't get out of the first round. You're way too soft and weak.

Although I'm no better, seeing how much time I've wasted trying to help you. How depressing... *Sigh* I still owe you for molesting you. I'll help you with the basics, but that's it.

I've heard enough.

Is that all? ...If you say so, I have no problems stopping now. Well, that's everything, then. Don't bother me with anymore of your stupid, pointless questions! Remember that you and I are enemies. Even a temporary alliance between us would end badly. Instead of hanging out here, you should be using the time left to you more responsibly.

So, in summary:

- We're all inside the SE.RA.PH, a virtual world maintained by an impossibly powerful system that has some form of connection to the moon.

- We're at least a moderately skilled magi, good enough to digitize our soul and beam it off to the SE.RA.PH to join the Holy Grail War.

- This system somehow has a Holy Grail inside of it, which has enough power to impact the physical world.

- Only the last man standing gets the Grail, so any alliances will be forced to break down eventually.

Kotomine is hanging out on 1F, but I'm sure he can wait a bit longer.

Next time: A dungeon, a dungeon, holy poo poo an actual dungeon.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 12, 2023

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

That handwave for why all these generic NPCs look the same is pretty good, I like that.

AI Rin is living up to the original in terms of tsundere power thus far.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel there's a lot more to Rin's goals here than just the Holy Grail. Her words made it sound like she didn't just enter SE.RA.PH., but rather, forced her way into it and is trying to see into it through illegal access. She's still part of the Holy Grail War and has her own Servant, and clearly intends to murder her way through, but she's aiming at something else.

I also find it interesting that Shinji's specifically a highly skilled mage here, considering that couldn't be farther from the truth for the original Shinji who was as mediocre as it gets. Then again, we know for a fact this Shinji has some important differences with the original since he also isn't Sakura's brother, he was just brainwashed by the system to think he was.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, there's something funny about how there's a lot of focus on hiding True Names to hide your Servant's weaknesses and like, sure, hiding your capabilities is good... but 80% of the time it doesn't matter, because it depends on your Servant having the capability to utilize those weaknesses.

Like oh, your opponent has King Arthur as a Servant? Welp, hope you summoned a Servant with advantage against kings or dragons (and the second one isn't obvious unless you know Fate Arthurian lore), cause otherwise there's 0 advantage knowing that, you're still eating a Excalibur to the face.

There are some exceptions, sure: Achilles would have his heel, Heracles is weak to Hydra Poison which is hard to get but exists, Cu Chulainn loses against women offering him Hot Dogs and Gilgamesh's greatest weakness is himself. But for a majority of Servants having your True Name revealed is basically like, bad because the enemy can strategize around it but not a "yeah, you're hosed".

That said EXTRA is actually really good about that part so you at least see why it exists.

Also Rin gotta be Rin no matter the universe: a tsundere bisexual in deep denial :v:

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Rin is great, as always. I think the number of fights was already spoiled earlier, didn't they say there were 128 servants in the fight still?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JeffRaze posted:

Rin is great, as always. I think the number of fights was already spoiled earlier, didn't they say there were 128 servants in the fight still?

Not explicitly, but there was a tally of participants between chapters that dropped from 999 to 128, which lines up with a 7 round 1v1 tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Every Route Is The Gay Route: Let's Play Fate/Extra

But yeah, Rin 'accidentally' getting involved with another girl somehow may as well be a running gag at this point.