Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hell yeah, I loved Fate/Extra way back when, but even then playing it was absolutely rear end, let alone now. This is a good way to kill the time until the remake drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No real opinion other than not Saber. Saw more than enough of that Servant on my own playthrough. :v: I guess if you absolutely must have a vote I lean Caster but I'm fine with Archer too.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

cardinale posted:

This is my first exposure to anything in the Fate series. I really like the music and atmosphere of this game but it seems better to read an LP than to pick it up. Are there any games in the series that people would recommend as being fun to play?

Not particularly. The vast majority of the series is either A) Visual Novels or B) Visual Novels with a half-baked gameplay mode tacked on. FGO is an okay RPG but it's still a mobile gacha game, this game and CCC have the RPS combat, and the Extella games are a passable but not great Musou. You have to be in it for the words because that's what Nasu and co are actually good at.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Just from reading this thread I feel like it's more than "a bit short" of being a good game. The actual gameplay is the epitome of "interesting concept, horrible execution" where the only way to win is to exploit it and/or blatantly cheat. I guess in a way that's sorta the point since a lot of the boss fights seem like they're making their own rules too, but... it just doesn't work in a way that seems satisfying. Conceptually a game where mooks use a standard set of rules but the Servants just run roughshod over said rules with their own brands of BS could be very interesting and really sell how badass Servants and Heroic Spirits are supposed to be! Executing it in a way that made Servant duels feel satisfying would be a nightmare. I almost feel like that's what they were going for here.

They did exactly this by making it a Musou in Fate/Extella.