Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If we had kids we would not have moved to Arizona as the schools are not great. The proles want the schools to be better so passed a tax increase on those making more than $400k so the Republicans just cut state income tax for those who make above $400k the same amount as the new tax would so they are paying the same amount. The Republicans then cut the income tax shortfall from the state budget to make up for the tax cut. So even when the majority want better schools politicians just weasel around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

That's pretty horrible - I'm thankful to not have the responsibility of children on my plate at the moment :/

If I were in that situation and had the resources to do it I would probably just opt to homeschool. Facebook conspiracy mom implications aside, at 6 years old what are you really learning in school you know? At that age I feel the benefits of schooling are mostly social and I can not imagine someone truly "falling behind" because they missed the first grade.
That's kind of where we're at, considering "independent learning" (which is the school district's way of saying "home school them, but we still get paid for it"), but it's going to be difficult if it's even possible. Remote learning was hard last year, and that was with Mon-Thursday class sessions in the morning helping to keep on track academically and socializing.

And yeah - first grade, I can definitely keep up with academically. The socialization thing, though - it's a bigger problem than it seems, and I'm not entirely sure how to sort it just yet.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Hot drat, Toyota has added the 40 series Land Cruiser to their heritage parts program and may add ‘later models’ as well.

https://toyotagazooracing.com/pressrelease/2021/0801-01/

quote:

Toyota to Reproduce Spare Parts for the Land Cruiser
2021.08.01 (Sunday)

Toyota City, Japan, August 1, 2021―TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has announced that it will reproduce spare parts for the Land Cruiser in celebration of its 70th anniversary today, August 1. The parts will be reproduced for the 40 Series Land Cruiser, which was produced between 1960 and 1984, as part of the GR Heritage Parts Project.

The project reproduces spare parts that have been discontinued and sells them as genuine parts through a special collaboration with suppliers, in order to support customers who wish to continue driving older vehicles that are full of memories and that they truly love.

The Land Cruiser has long promised “to take people anywhere and everywhere and come back alive and safe.” Even models whose production has been discontinued for several decades continue to be cherished by large numbers of customers all over the world, and continue to actively support lives, livelihoods, and more fulfilling lifestyles. However, recent years have seen a shortage of spare parts, with Land Cruiser owners expressing fears they will no longer be able to drive their vehicles.

For this reason, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has made the decision to reproduce parts for which there is greatest demand and need, so that customers can continue to drive their cherished vehicles in safety and with peace of mind. The company has carried out preliminary surveys with exclusive Land Cruiser dealers and fan club representatives from across the globe and, as a result of these activities, it is advancing preparations to reproduce and sell parts related to the critical functions of driving, turning, and braking for the 40 Series Land Cruiser. These parts will be supplied as “heritage parts,” and will include engines, drivelines, and exhaust systems. Availability of parts will be launched as preparations have been completed, with a target launch date of the beginning of 2022.

Additionally, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is preparing a questionnaire form on its website* where customers can submit their reproduction requests. This feedback will be used in the selection of the next parts to be reproduced.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has previously supplied heritage parts for the A70 and A80 Supra, and the 2000GT, but this will be the first time it has reproduced spare parts for the Land Cruiser. In addition to the 40 Series, the company intends to discuss reproduction of parts for later generations of the model.

https://www.toyota.co.jp/cmpnform/pub/co/landcruiser_form_en

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

According to NYT, the new narrative from the Republicans is that it was Nancy Pelosi's fault. Where in the gently caress do they get that, and when do they stop this poo poo? How big a lie will it be before idiots stop buying it?

We've long gone past the point where the true believers will gain reason. And plenty of them have died drowning in their own lungs lately because they refuse to rejoin reality. They would rather die than admit the people most responsible for how poo poo their society is are the ones that they voted for

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We've long gone past the point where the true believers will gain reason. And plenty of them have died drowning in their own lungs lately because they refuse to rejoin reality. They would rather die than admit the people most responsible for how poo poo their society is are the ones that they voted for

It's not even about truth or reality. It's about tribal signalling. Spouting nonsense is how they declare allegiance to their group.

Similar to how rich assholes will wear Rolex watches. They don't wear it because they need to know what time it is.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/565969-graham-says-he-has-covid-19-breakthrough-infection

quote:

Graham, in his statement, touted the vaccine, saying that if he wasn't vaccinated "my symptoms would be far worse."

“I am very glad I was vaccinated because without vaccination I am certain I would not feel as well as I do now," he said.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A story in two parts

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Deteriorata posted:

It's not even about truth or reality. It's about tribal signalling. Spouting nonsense is how they declare allegiance to their group.

Similar to how rich assholes will wear Rolex watches. They don't wear it because they need to know what time it is.

Tribalism is one thing, but it seems more like a round about way to weed out the ability to critically think than anything else

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah I think it should be pretty obvious to everyone at this point that no one is "waking up" lol

This is why I like cars - cars can be fixed (most of the time) - humanity can not.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Door Frame posted:

Tribalism is one thing, but it seems more like a round about way to weed out the ability to critically think than anything else

By divesting in education you're investing in a quantity of future conservatives.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I love how they try to to rationalize it as a fear of the "unknown side effects" of the vaccine when it's very clearly a politically based choice and nothing else.

Those same people would show up in droves to get a new, untested shot that eliminated their flab and gave them abs and wouldn't give two shits about any loving "unknowns". side effects be damned, I want my abs

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

You're letting a dealer use your brand new car as a demo? Where the car's selling point is the new go-fast turbo motor?

Risk taker identified.

Eh, gimme a warranty I don't care if it's been the town bike before I got it. It's gonna lose value like crazy no matter what so I just look at the vehicle as an expense. I did hedge my bets a little bit though; that gold car is at Naples Acura. Naples is snowbird central and we're off season. Naples is also quieter money than the other areas, that color ain't gonna sell there like it would in other markets. Seriously everyone there's got a 36-month lease on the latest German of preferred flavor. I'm not so sure I like the gold myself but it's the signature color and it does look good in Florida sun. Anyway, it's only got but 300 miles on it now and they've had it 69 of the required 90 days stipulated by Honda of America. I'm guessing it's showing less than 500 by the time I get it, but if you're in the area and in the mood, go fart in my seats.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I'm guessing it's showing less than 500 by the time I get it, but if you're in the area and in the mood, go fart in my seats.

sorry, it was a shart but I'm sure it cleaned out ok

i think

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m in the area and my nuts are gonna touch every interior surface in your car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

Eh, gimme a warranty I don't care if it's been the town bike before I got it. It's gonna lose value like crazy no matter what so I just look at the vehicle as an expense. I did hedge my bets a little bit though; that gold car is at Naples Acura. Naples is snowbird central and we're off season. Naples is also quieter money than the other areas, that color ain't gonna sell there like it would in other markets. Seriously everyone there's got a 36-month lease on the latest German of preferred flavor. I'm not so sure I like the gold myself but it's the signature color and it does look good in Florida sun. Anyway, it's only got but 300 miles on it now and they've had it 69 of the required 90 days stipulated by Honda of America. I'm guessing it's showing less than 500 by the time I get it, but if you're in the area and in the mood, go fart in my seats.

drat, if only I was close. :swoon:

Honestly, though, I'd record the date codes on the tires to make sure there's no switcharoo shenanigans, but as long as it's demo drives and not loaner duty, it's not as bad as I first thought.

I like the color, it's totally rude, but was shocked when I was biking with my son today and saw the same color on a new car. From a distance, it looked like an Accord and I was wondering why Honda trumped itself, but as I got closer, I saw it was a new Sonata (edit: Hyundai calls it "glowing yellow").

Definitely looks better on the Type S, though. Looking forward to a "got it" post and trip report.

bird with big dick posted:

Pics , please. With proper blurring, ofc.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Please teabag the cup holders and Arabian goggle the rear view mirror.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Bonus if you can leave me ball prints on the console screen.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

No need to blur with photos that small.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Please teabag the cup holders and Arabian goggle the rear view mirror.

Yes do this please.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

.... someone explain what on earth this is?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

Saclopedia (HA) states homegroan is now encouraged!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm sure one of your company's cretins have already demonstrated it in some way, you just need to look.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

somebody needs to get a little education from the University of ligma

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Need to build my car workshop with inside storage and rent out parking spaces https://www.neighbor.com what can go wrong?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Door Frame posted:

Prior to 2017 I used to think humans were pretty far separated from the other great ape species. Watching republicans and their great “leader” slowly eroded that sentiment.

A few months ago, with vaccine acceptance at about 30% locally and talking to otherwise reasonable people my age who “just don’t think” its necessary- the idea that we are some how that far apart eroded completely. Since then most everything R has been very easy to explain when I visualized what was going on as just more ape tribalism. Like a troop of gorillas. Its ingrained in our DNA and we just cant escape it. The hand motions especially. You will never see science types do it but a tribal leader is a master of it along with other low level techniques (eye contact, everyday subjects, superiority of the tribe, always “winning” etc). That poo poo really works. Also repeating the lie until it becomes indistinguishable from reality.

Personally I hope we never go back to masks, lockdowns etc. I see the obituaries more and more and I am just jaded to the point where I don’t care. They had a chance.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
You think property is crazy in your town?

2 bedroom, first time in the market in 80yrs so you know the interior is trash, there’s not even any pics of it on the listing.

Just sold for NZ$4.29M or US$3M, twice the already insane valuation.

Good location and section size so obviously it’s going to be demolished and replaced with at least 3 luxury townhouses.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

BigPaddy posted:

Need to build my car workshop with inside storage and rent out parking spaces https://www.neighbor.com what can go wrong?

You’ve got this all wrong. When they skip payment you put a lien on the title and become the proud owner of a Chevrolet Celebrity with no keys that someone parked in your garage because it was easier than trying to dispose of without a title.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Lots next to the old flooded gravel quarry in my hometown are being advertised as waterfront property.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Missus and I are on a combined income of AU$120K a year and the only place we could afford to buy a home without stretching uncomfortably is 45 mins from the CBD of Adelaide, which is far and away not the most expensive capital city in Australia to live in. We wound up about half a mil down to buy our 900m2 block and build a 4 bedroom home but it’s doable.

I’ve got friends who will never be able to afford to buy their own homes at this rate because they don’t have a significant other or a huge paying job- my younger brother makes $90K a year on his own and was refused a mortgage because there wasn’t a second income on the application.

AU incomes seem huge compared to US ones but when you factor in how much poo poo costs over here vs there it comes into comparison pretty quickly- power costs 40c/kWh, fuel is the equivalent of US$5 a gallon, land taxes are $2-3k a year. It all adds up to consume all your money before you can blink

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BuckyDoneGun posted:

2 bedroom, first time in the market in 80yrs so you know the interior is trash, there’s not even any pics of it on the listing.

Good location and section size so obviously it’s going to be demolished and replaced with at least 3 luxury townhouses.

is this located in an area that is really desirable? idgi why this would go for 2x

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
It’s the location and development potential. They’re not buying the house, they’re buying the land.

And this:

quote:

House prices nationally are now 12.4 times the average wage due to a drop in home affordability in recent months, new Massey University analysis reveals.

The national median house price increased 5.1 per cent, or $40,000, over the February to May quarter, the university's latest Home Affordability report showed.

This, combined with a drop in wages in many regions, had led to a decline in home affordability of 6.8 per cent nationwide.

The national house price-to-income ratio also declined over the February to May quarter, with prices moving from 11.4 to 12.4 times average wages.

Price to income ratio over 5 is considered “severely unaffordable” from memory.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

As a Kiwi living overseas, the failure of the current government to do anything about rising inequalities and unaffordable housing makes me furious.

When I meet new people, they’re always gushing about how wonderful Jacinta Ardern is. Don’t get me wrong, I think she is a wonderfully empathetic human and significantly better than any choice the right wingers have put up.

However to have completely dropped the ball on capital gains despite having the most political capital in a generation seems risable to me.

In the grand scheme of things, Melbourne seems a more affordable place to live than Auckland. Let that one marinade!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

rdb posted:

Prior to 2017 I used to think humans were pretty far separated from the other great ape species. Watching republicans and their great “leader” slowly eroded that sentiment.

A few months ago, with vaccine acceptance at about 30% locally and talking to otherwise reasonable people my age who “just don’t think” its necessary- the idea that we are some how that far apart eroded completely. Since then most everything R has been very easy to explain when I visualized what was going on as just more ape tribalism. Like a troop of gorillas. Its ingrained in our DNA and we just cant escape it. The hand motions especially. You will never see science types do it but a tribal leader is a master of it along with other low level techniques (eye contact, everyday subjects, superiority of the tribe, always “winning” etc). That poo poo really works. Also repeating the lie until it becomes indistinguishable from reality.

Personally I hope we never go back to masks, lockdowns etc. I see the obituaries more and more and I am just jaded to the point where I don’t care. They had a chance.

You're right in saying that we're not that far removed from other apes, but this is different from normal human behavior, much different
Since I was old enough to know what politics were, I've been able to watch the Republican party grow from a party of neoconservative warhawks to a party of obstructionists, to a party of singular belief. It's beyond partisanship, it's beyond religion, it's full on cult poo poo and it's so sad to see. The GOP is no longer, "I'm for a smaller government and lower taxes", or even "I'm for guns, god, and stopping abortion", it's "I'm for the True President". True President said that he won the election, then he won the election, no matter what the numbers say. True President says that masks are a violation of our freedoms, the country must be free. True President has made it clear that we shouldn't be vaccinated, we will not be vaccinated, even as more of us die. The True President will return to his throne

In the beginning of the pandemic, I used to take joy in classical conservatives trying to justify the madness of a party that decided that it was better off without them back in 2008, but now there is no joy in any of this. I'm sad and I want it to stop

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No wonder there's so many homeless now. The most basic human need of having some sort of a safe, functional dwelling has been completely monetized, turned into investment opportunities for the rich and it shouldn't be allowed. Just read some of the stories about people that can't get a rental because of bad credit, or one eviction on their record because they lost their job once and couldn't pay rent so no one else will rent to them even with proof of income.

I'd probably say gently caress it, live in a tent and poo poo on the sidewalk too. If you can't keep up in the rat race you're hosed, and once you're out of the race it's really hard to get back in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

Guess who's in a sling and has a hip full of IM Toradol? With rotator cuff issues?

I'm too old to be doing this drat job anymore.

Yo that sucks.
I'm sorry bud, shoulder issues are the worst.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Auction report: bank opened at 367,700. Half the people headed for their cars. One guy bid 367,800. Sold. He claims it's for a client who wants to move in, but I'll believe it when I see it. I expect it'll be on the market for $475+ in 6 months time. I could have gone to $325, but no farther. It needs 75-85k in work, and maybe septic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

You're right in saying that we're not that far removed from other apes, but this is different from normal human behavior, much different
Since I was old enough to know what politics were, I've been able to watch the Republican party grow from a party of neoconservative warhawks to a party of obstructionists, to a party of singular belief. It's beyond partisanship, it's beyond religion, it's full on cult poo poo and it's so sad to see. The GOP is no longer, "I'm for a smaller government and lower taxes", or even "I'm for guns, god, and stopping abortion", it's "I'm for the True President". True President said that he won the election, then he won the election, no matter what the numbers say. True President says that masks are a violation of our freedoms, the country must be free. True President has made it clear that we shouldn't be vaccinated, we will not be vaccinated, even as more of us die. The True President will return to his throne

In the beginning of the pandemic, I used to take joy in classical conservatives trying to justify the madness of a party that decided that it was better off without them back in 2008, but now there is no joy in any of this. I'm sad and I want it to stop

conservatives have always been trash, they just don't care anymore about putting on the thin veneer of civility

edit: none of them ever actually believed in any of that small government rhetoric

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had a whole thing complaining about work but I decided to call a friend about it. I want to share some good vibes tho.

I scored a job interview for Wednesday... I don't think it's going to be a good fit but I have an open mind. Not afraid to say no.

I got through a hard day at work relatively unscathed and actually a little proud of myself.

And this weekend I talked to a girl I've known for a while and asked her on a date and we're going out Friday. I knew she was looking for a partner currently and was afraid of rejection but went for it and she verified my intent and said yes in a way that really felt great. It may or may not work out, (my comforting phrase before any first date) but I think we'll have fun.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh and one more, I sent a selfie of myself at Target, where halfway through the trip I realized I was wearing a fire engine red polo shirt and that's why shoppers kept looking at me carefully. An old flame said I looked handsome. And that's always nice to hear.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

sharkytm posted:

Auction report: bank opened at 367,700. Half the people headed for their cars. One guy bid 367,800. Sold. He claims it's for a client who wants to move in, but I'll believe it when I see it. I expect it'll be on the market for $475+ in 6 months time. I could have gone to $325, but no farther. It needs 75-85k in work, and maybe septic.

I’ve been through a lot of the similar. Chased a property for two years, attended several auctions only to have it pulled last minute every time. Frustrating as hell and ultimately it sold outside of auction somehow I’ve never figured out, and I’ve got no clue how they got title ins cause I did my homework on the paper trail and it was a god-damned mess. Previous owner had gone served time for embezzlement and wasn’t above making GBS threads where he ate I guess.

Anyway, doesn’t feel good but you gotta stick to your poo poo, if it’s sold overpriced you gotta know it better than anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slothrop posted:

As a Kiwi living overseas, the failure of the current government to do anything about rising inequalities and unaffordable housing makes me furious.

When I meet new people, they’re always gushing about how wonderful Jacinta Ardern is. Don’t get me wrong, I think she is a wonderfully empathetic human and significantly better than any choice the right wingers have put up.

However to have completely dropped the ball on capital gains despite having the most political capital in a generation seems risable to me.

In the grand scheme of things, Melbourne seems a more affordable place to live than Auckland. Let that one marinade!

Jacinda is generally great but at heart she learnt at the feet of neoliberal melts and it shows. No one can understand what she’s saving her political capital for.

But as an example of how dismal the opposition is, today the Leader of the Opposition said she thinks we should ban the public service from using the word Aotearoa in official ways. For foreign readers, that’s the native Maori name for “New Zealand” and is enshrined in law as an official language, which English isn’t.