Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I typed "50's american car side mirror" into google image search and this was the third result. Sadly just a stock image and no info.

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/details-photo/side-mirror-on-a-bright-red-classic-american-car-from-the-1950s-havana-cuba/X3N-3453557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Just got off phone with a friend from high school and college, he put his house on the market Friday and has three offers today. The lowest offer is $15k cash over asking at $235k for a house he bought three years ago for 160k. Ours has a bit more than doubled since 2017, that's before factoring in the improvements we've done. It's crazy.

My youngest brother is over in Asheville, NC and prices are nuts. Anything under 200k is snapped up immediately and is either a regular rental or vacation rental within a couple months. He makes pretty good money but he's looking at 250-325k houses with 1500 sqft and that is just crazy. The housing market over there is absolutely insane, not sure if it'll crash or just get worse.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

slidebite posted:

They have just announced they are planning it for this year, early December. Nashville area.

Even though I am double vaccinated, I am not eager to fly anytime soon, especially the the southern US. As much as I love to fly, I'm not comfortable with it yet and even less comfortable being in trade shows and large catered dinners in conference rooms full of people often in various states of intoxication as the evening progresses with mingling.. and I doubt that December is going to be much better than now as winter approaches.

Am I being an unreasonable jerk by refusing to go? I don't need to give a firm decision until early Nov, but gently caress me, why would they even hold one (other than fear of losing out the complex booking fees, but gently caress 'em).
I'm in TN and wish I could run away to state that isn't majority ruled by loving morons, I would not recommend visiting unless you really want to test the vaccine.

Ferremit posted:

Its soul crushing- My partner and I would LOVE to become broadacre farmers, actually run a big property doing food production. We will never, ever be able to achieve that dream- Because we could never raise the $10M in cash to buy into a property big enough to actually be economical, and your competing with investment firms and huge mining magnates who buy them for investments!
This is one thing Clarkson's Farm really pointed out and I'm glad they did. Sure he did a lot of stupid poo poo and had to buy all equipment but he also had an advisor and help but at the end of the year he only came out something like $150 ahead. No wonder so many farms are closing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I drove a Stinger today.

I don't think I liked it. Something is wrong with me.

Edit: my wife thinks it's the sticker shock, I had trouble justifying the truck and it was cheap. $40k just makes my head spin and my stomach hurt.

I've ran into the same thing, dreamed about owning a particular car forever then drive it and can't figure out why people pay what they do for it. Test drive all the cars, eventually you'll find something that makes you smile.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Sometimes I think just having a meal plan like eating chicken/rice/broccoli every drat day with an occasional burger or something would be the way to go, just eat the same thing and suck it up.....Food for enjoyment just isn't working anymore lol.
Key to this is have a few recipes you rotate and have a poo poo load of sauces to add. I've meal prepped for the past 10 or so years making two different meals with usually eight servings each. I've been kind of lazy lately since my gut isn't absorbing anything, been eating a ton of rotisserie chicken and potatoes. I can eat the same things for weeks on end pretty easily and while I might get bored I don't mind.

I'm with you on the coffee, it hits me pretty hard but it also gets me through the morning.

Krakkles posted:

I drove a Tesla Model 3 / Dual Motor yesterday. I have zero love for Elon, I don't really trust Tesla, but I gotta admit that's a pretty nice car. That thing is stupid fast.
They are pretty cool and the acceleration certainly is something. I really like the "autopilot" when I've used it. As a commuter and even road trip car they're pretty good but I'm really happy to see other companies starting to put out comparable cars. I'll never own a tesla but I appreciate what they've done for the industry.

Darchangel posted:

Why the gently caress not Levar Burton? Assholes. Twitter seems pretty negative about the choices, at least on Jeopardy's official account.
OFFS - he was the executive producer of the show. Tell me there wasn't a fix in there.
Look into you're heart, you know the answer. Yes it's bullshit but nothing but good publicity for Levar.

Powershift posted:

Powershift update: had an IV for a couple days waiting for a CT scan for blood clots. Ironically caused a bunch of blood clots. took almost a month before i could straighten my arm. Need further tests for the whole breathing/blood pressure thing but covid is loving things up again so the doctor doesn't even know when it can be scheduled.
Do they not have you on any blood thinners? Hopefully after that scare they at least have you on low does blood thinners of some kind.

Back to the doctors next week. Finally talked them into removing the lovely PICC line and putting in a central line, will be nice to have full use of my arms again instead of one limited to 10lb. Also a bunch of tests since I'm there. May try a new drug to see if we can get my intestines to start absorbing some nutrients. Still don't have poo poo for energy but it's been so long I've figured out how to manage it pretty well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

WTFBEES posted:

Goddamn Facebook Marketplace sucks poo poo and society needs to go back to Craiglist. Why do these filters only do what they say they do half the time? Why do I feel like I have to put one over on the system to search another region? Why is there no C10 option in the model dropdown? You have unlimited resources and this poo poo hasn't worked for years why is this all so hard?

Because the shittier the search the more time you spend on the platform viewing ads. Here's a nationwide-ish marketplace search tool http://facebook-marketplace-us-nationwide-search.gmoz.biz/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I make a six figure salary and have a decent savings account, yet buying a house feels further and further away with each passing day.
My youngest brother is a structural and environmental engineer working in Asheville, NC. He moved there three years ago I think and has started looking at houses. He says anything above 1000 sqft and not a massive project is 200k and has multiple offers over asking. He keeps upping his budget and is seeing the same crap all the way up to 350k. 350k is WAY too much for what he makes even with rent prices being stupid. When a double major engineer can't get a very basic house it's even more obvious something is wrong.

meatpimp posted:

I really liked Cleetus for a long time, until the covid / safety fiascos and him showing his true approach to the issues. Super sad, in general, the whole situation.

sharkytm posted:

Same for Finnegan, and a dozen other 'tubers.
A lot of people have revealed themselves to be really stupid in the last year and a half. I don't purposely go digging to see if people are anti-mask/vax but have zero issue blocking a youtube channel or removing people from my life anymore.

Should be getting my third covid shot end of this week or early next following the new CDC booster shot guidance for immuno-compromised people. Would be doing it asap but I've got surgery next week and don't want to gently caress it up by having side effects.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bolind posted:

Speaking of, I should really contact a financial advisor and get at least a couple of hours of sparring. Between two incomes, a mortgage, two retirement accounts and a substantial marginal income tax rate, that person could quickly earn back their fee.

Anyone have tips on finding a good one. We've talked about finding one and my insurance agent was supposed to be getting me contact info for his but I haven't heard anything in a month. We'll be back to two incomes in a year and a half, have some assets and aren't sure if it makes sense to pay off the mortgage. The mortgage chat a couple pages ago made me start thinking about it again.

Surgery day, very minor 30-45 minutes but will be a big quality of life upgrade..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Good luck on the surgery.

On the mortgage front, I told the guy that we're 6 years into a 15 year mortgage at 2.875% paying off at a 9 year rate, and he immediately suggested investing instead of paying down the mortgage.
I need to bump up our mortgage payments a bit, figure out what we're lined up for on payoff date.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all yall making big money decisions please please go over to BFC and post there. this is chat thread so I don't wanna poo poo it up too much but for both cakesmith handyman the newbie BFC thread will be very helpful, and for meatpimp the long term investing / retirement thread will be very helpful. there's some pretty good subforum cross traffic so you'll see some familiar names and faces.
Always forget we have a subforum devoted to this, thanks.

StormDrain posted:

Literally the best advice. The first post of the long term thread is better and more concise than anything posted elsewhere. If you can achieve steps 1-3 you'll be much better off than any alternatives. And it's a high bar to meet those three items. If you achieve that, the posters there are much like AI and want the best for you.
Yeah long term investing thread is good stuff, I remember reading it a lot when I got my first real job.

sharkytm posted:

You can also look into ESG (environmental, social, and governance) funds, which reward companies with better ethics than normal, and can leverage their holdings to encourage companies to change. There's several big players in this market with low expense ratios and portfolio types. However, check their holdings, as many are tech-heavy, including socially-dubious picks like Facebook and Amazon.
I would definitely like to get in on 'green' companies and those trying to help the planet even if it means slightly less return.

Surgery went well, took a two hour nap after and feeling decent. No more lovely PICC line so I might finally be able to get some stuff done in the garage. Had them route the catheter and have it pop through in the middle of my chest so I can use my HANS. Not sure if I'll be up for the Formula Ford this year but I think I'll be able to do a simple track day in a couple months.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

How do you guys blow off stress? I don't think I ever really learned how to. I always just pushed that anxiety into my work, or smoked like a chimney, but both are non-options right now and I don't know what to do to make there be less stress
Lately the only thing that's been doing it for me is going for a drive. Usually working in the garage, gaming or working out are my de-stressing tools. Working out was my main stress management tool and I haven't been able to do that in almost two years, stress has been pretty bad lately.

Surgery went well, still a bit sore. Got home last night then got to rush Finn to the emergency vet because we thought he ate something. X-ray didn't show anything which was a relief, just a little more excitement to end a long day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meltie posted:

It's an EV - it's utterly unreal to drive - and it's black, on black, with the extra Black Pack.

That's a good EV

Ferremit posted:

In other news, I’m disappearing up the Flinders Ranges for a week. Going totally off the grid- got the HF radio but that will only get turned on when needed.
Gonna be nice waking up to this view for a few mornings!

Have a good trip, that looks really nice. I think a 'escape from civilization and turn everything off vacation' would be really beneficial to our mental health.

kastein posted:

I don't not own guns because I sailed clear through "liberal" and straight into leftist before I realized I wasn't a right wing libertarian anymore
:hfive:

We have a few guns between us, wife can out shoot her entire squad/unit/whatever and I'm only kind of poo poo. We'll drag one out about once a month and do a little target shooting for fun. We have several neighbors that do weekly shooting and I recently found out one neighbor is a vintage and specialized firearm dealer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Smart TV and amazon/android/apple/roku TV dongle pro tip: bring them with you when you travel or if you're going to spend some time in the hospital, also bring a cheap universal remote. We brought our fire stick to the hospital and it made extended stays a lot more bearable when you had something other than lovely daytime tv to watch. It also saves you from forgetting to log out of the smart tv at the airbnb.

I looked at a pihole last summer but never followed up on it, maybe I'll add that to the winter project list. On the other hand if it doesn't block youtube ads I'm not sure it's worth the time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Alternatively, use nextdns.io, it's basically a cloud-based pi-hole. AdGuard is another option. I use a pi-hole at home, and nextdns on my phone, when I'm out in the world.
Thanks, will look into those as well

Imagined posted:

One of the best meals we had on a recent vacation was a Five Guys burger at the Atlanta airport, but that may have been a case of hunger being the best spice as much as anything else. I will say the guy at the counter was way nicer and more chill than anybody has a right to expect a person working a fast food job in an airport with a constant 500 yard line of customers to be.
That's the first Five Guys I ever ate at, sometime in 2009. Was flying to TN for an interview and my connecting flight was delayed, called my to-be boss and he recommended it. Haven't had five guys in a year or more, might have to grab one this week.

Thumposaurus posted:

Get a chimney starter don't use lighter fluid.
Game changer for charcoal grills. I love charcoal but I'm lazy so the small charcoal grill never gets used while the propane gets used almost weekly. Also charcoal chimney starter is a great way to sear a steak.

slidebite posted:

Don't know if any of you guys saw that twitter thing with David Grohl and that little girl, Nandi Bushnell during the first lockdown... she's that kid that murders the drums like a prodigy, but they finally had her play with Foo Fighters last night.
https://twitter.com/DMBGorgeCrew/status/1431252267949178880
Grohl is so awesome

Darchangel posted:

I found this article, well, not satisfying, but it put into words some feelings.
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/12/it...D_IEZqvkxPfxu0c

sharkytm posted:

My mom has started shaming people with this exact response. She's slowly dying, and trapped in her house because people are too selfish and willfully ignorant to take a free, safe, effective vaccine. She's pissed, and rightfully so.
As of Friday afternoon we have 6 ICU beds available between 19 hospitals in the region, our ERs are overwhelmed and no one gives a poo poo. We're going back into personal lockdown because even though we're fully vaccinated I'm recovering from surgery and guess who the vaccinated people dying are, immune compromised/suppressed people like me. I can't even risk working in my loving garage because if I overdo it, super easy right now, I won't be able to go to the ER for fluids and if I were to get injured I'm even more hosed. Yet with all this I have coworkers who are willing to give up very well paid cushy jobs because they don't want to wear a mask or get the vaccine.

In better news after three months at the shop we got the F100 back. New driveshaft, starter, trans mounts and rebuilt transmission. It drives like a new truck, if it wasn't so miserably hot I'd be driving it everywhere. We're selling it back to my father-in-law in a week or two but we'll have nearly unlimited access to it and it'll only be 15 minutes away.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

On covid chat I was sent a link to a thread on reddit (I know, I know) and a bunch of doctors/nurses and such are commenting that in their hospitals, delta is wiping the unvaxxed out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/pbvcdu/uhh_are_any_of_these_unvaccinated_patients_in/
That's a hell of a read. Good reminder to make sure your will, power of attorney and everything else is taken care of. Also a good time to make sure your family is aware if you want to go the DNR route.

Get to work on updating the resume, basically rewriting from scratch, this week for slots opening up on new systems coming in. Old days with smaller company we'd pretty much just move to the new spot then work out the details, doesn't work that way with the larger company that acquired us. Have to do the full resume, apply, interviews and it mostly comes down to whether the customer thinks we fit the position in the end. I've worked with this customer since 2009 when I moved to TN but that doesn't make me any less stressed.

Been thinking a lot lately about selling off most of the cars that aren't getting driven often to fund one really fun car and a bunch of home projects. Sure I'd miss looking at them but due to health issues I've driven the E28 about 500 miles and the E30 zero miles since fall 2019.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 30, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Imagined posted:

My nephew went to the ER early this morning with what turned out to be a bowel obstruction, but there were no rooms in the hospital for him to be admitted. They're still looking for one in the city for him right now. Get loving vaccinated, assholes, and give your family and friends a dope slap if they won't. Enough loving around.
F, good luck man that's a rough surgery. If you or he wants to talk to someone about what the expect, recovery, etc let me know...I went through it in April.

slidebite posted:

I've heard reports of some areas doing potential triage based on vaccination status. I hope they don't have to do it, but if they do they don't wait because people dying due to zero fault of their own because the beds are full of trumpers is a god drat crime. Don't believe in science enough to get the universally recommended vaccine, but sure as gently caress believe in it when you can't breathe.
I wonder how long before they switch to treating based on chance of survival, largely the same thing as treating based on vaccination status at this point.

Humphreys posted:

Beep Beep!

:sickos:

Advent Horizon posted:

Any suggestions for getting out leaf spring pins? They’re stuck in the bushings and I’m trying to avoid torching them out.
Air chisel?

the spyder posted:

This has been my goal for two years. I’ve sold 8 cars and will only keep the ones I really enjoy. 10/10 would recommend.
It's definitely an attractive thought just on the reduction of insurance, maintenance, etc. Plus then I might actually have time to drive the ones I keep more often. We sold two earlier this spring and replaced it with one, another one is leaving Wednesday and won't be replaced. Our problem is also the garage was not built for what we have stuffed in there. To get the E30 or E28 we move the highlander, move the fiat, move stuff out of the way, open the wall, move the locost then pull drive out. It works and it's great for storing cars but kind of garbage for driving cars. Need to get the formula car out on track and see if that is even going to be medically possible. I also have the AI problem of when I have space/funds I want to add a project.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Imagined posted:

Thanks. He was born with gastroschisis, and he's a grown man now, so I'm afraid this sort of thing is old hat for him. He's dealt with random GI bullshit and multiple surgeries. But this most recent thing started about midnight and it's almost noon now and they still haven't found him a room. Still sitting in the ER with an NG tube in. :ohdear:
Ah yeah I can relate, hopefully the NG tube will relieve some pressure and things will start moving. Ugh just shuddered thinking about them trying to place a NG tube, they tried many times and couldn't get it with me awake.

STR posted:

Lights started flickering.

UPS went into "so hey I see 260 volts when I should see 120, gently caress you I'm going to battery" mood.
Yikes, does renters insurance or something cover all the fried electronics? Good thing you have the UPS to protect some of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I gotta admit, some old big fat biker dude on a three wheeler (with single front wheel, not other way around) is kinda funny some times seeing that.

When those groups roll through the Smoky Mountains and Tail of the Dragon the tow truck operators start salivating. Those things don't turn for crap so there's always a bunch off in ditches. You can sit on one of the corners the photographers work and watch people understeer off the road all day. Luckily they're usually going slow enough the injuries are minor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is not a position I envy at all. You have some absolute holy grail cars that don't appear to be coming back into the atmosphere any time soon. It seems like the saying of "if you are going to do it now is a good time" but you could have said that any time in the last five years and have been wrong. The health issues and not being able to use them is the biggest gut punch of all though, it sucks and I hope some of your treatment gets you in a place where you can enjoy your hobbies a bit more.

I have fleeting thoughts about selling the M3 from time to time but one drive will cure it. I also have been bolstered lately by hearing some car journalists talk wistfully about the E9X generation. Just the other week The Smoking Tire just said "The E92 M3 is the move right now," and that the basement on those cars has been set. As cool as the car is to drive now, I think in five or ten years time it will be infinitely cooler.
I've been going back and forth on it for probably months now. I have a feeling once I take them out for a drive I'll change my mind. I have considered selling the E30 for one that is race prepped, would get some cash in my pocket and I'd fulfill another dream of racing one. Plus ITBs into a carbon airbox on that engine is :sickos: The E92 is such a solid car, if I had the space I'd probably have one by now. I really thought about and almost went with an E92 over the Cayman.

LobsterboyX posted:

Rant because you guys get it:
:glomp: People are poo poo and have been emboldened by the previous chump, they're now proud of their ignorance/racism/etc. Feel you on the WFH thing too, some days have to remind her I'm working from home and can't go run errands for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Imagined posted:

My nephew they couldn't find a hospital room for yesterday ended up being taken straight to emergency surgery in the afternoon, which seemed to go well, and he's recovering today.

:smith: Sorry he had to go through that and it got to that point. First couple weeks of recovery are pretty rough, tell him to make sure things are kept clean and watch for signs of infection.