Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ok it is august which means I have two months to put the Poncho together for the Duct Tape Drags in Tucson. I mean that is just one major system per weekend right? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ferremit posted:

Food poisoning is no loving fun. In the last 12hrs I’ve blasted 3kg of weight out of either my arse or my mouth. Feel like absolute death now

Only good thing about the last time I had food poisoning was I was at a conference in San Fran so it was someone else’s problem to clean up.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

House stuff is insane, place I bought in April is up 10%.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The rental companies need to stop this poo poo. I’m fine with apartment rentals because condos are dumb but loving houses need to be affordable.

Problem is that investment banks are being given endless free money to stop the stock market crashing and they have to spend it on something and property is an easy thing to buy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The difference as I see it between 2008 and now is:

2008 Institutional Investors owned Mortgage Back Securities which failed and as they failed other derivatives that were based on MBS also failed causing huge write downs of financial assets that stopped banks lending to each other and the governments of the world had to pump money into the markets so the banks would lend to each other and to retail customers. Whether they did or not is a different discussion but that was the logic.

Today Institutional Investors are selling MBS to the government (look up Reverse Repo) in return for cash and then hold too much cash as per federal regulations so have to spend it on something. After being burned in 2008 with MBS they are just buying the tangible asset (houses) seeing that they can buy it and make monthly carry on the balance sheet by renting it out and the fact they are buying the available stock out as soon as it is available they are causing their investments to go up in value at the same time it is like owning a stock that is rocketing up that also pays a monthly dividend which is unheard of in financial instruments like stocks.

So the banks own the homes and may even have mortgages on them to package into MBS to sell to the Fed to get more money to buy more houses which they can then package the mortgages on to sell to the Fed etc... this is a very layman view of the situation but seems to follow what we are seeing. Are banks buying all the homes? No. Are they buying enough of them to impact the market? I say yes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If we had kids we would not have moved to Arizona as the schools are not great. The proles want the schools to be better so passed a tax increase on those making more than $400k so the Republicans just cut state income tax for those who make above $400k the same amount as the new tax would so they are paying the same amount. The Republicans then cut the income tax shortfall from the state budget to make up for the tax cut. So even when the majority want better schools politicians just weasel around it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Need to build my car workshop with inside storage and rent out parking spaces https://www.neighbor.com what can go wrong?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, so it's not just a young person thing, no one believes that good things are going to happen on a large scale in pur lifetimes?

Climate change being resolved by humanity destroying itself is a good thing right?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

On generator chat. I bought one that has a 50amp 240v outlet. If I plug a 240 to 120 adaptor in can I still pull 35-45 amps through it?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I pay $22 a month for YouTube premium for the wife and I which includes the music app as well. I think it is decent value but giving money to papa google always feels wrong.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

$22 is the family for up to 4 accounts, individual cost is $12 so it is cheaper to buy the family plan over two individual accounts and I added my brother on it as well.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Maybe if you didn’t block ads I, a premium subscriber, would not need to hear about raid shadow legends or raycon earbuds all the time :colbert:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

No they do it because Adsense revenue is lovely. Clearly more smilies are needed on facetious posts.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

I never understood the appeal of spottily honestly, I feel like nothing I want to listen to is ever available.

Spotify has some streaming exclusive contracts such as with Rammstein’s label, I believe some of these have ended by the label still doesn’t have agreements with YouTube or whatever. Spotify also has a lot of inertia like subscription services tend to have but there are signs it is losing out to newer services.

I use YouTube music in the truck with Car Play not had issues apart from when the whole of Google’s infrastructure crapped the bed last year. The cost of the subscription is way less monthly that I used to spend on CDs for my dumb musical tastes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Heading to the Pamona Swap Meet this weekend to try and find stuff for the poncho. Looking forward to stall after stall of Trump tshirts/hats and piles of rusty misc junk with $300 price tags. Going to be looking for poncho parts and a used 6/71 blower because if I am going to build a stroked 400 with wide ring gaps for boost might as well go full Mad Max. Got to get all the bits and drop them off to be cleaned up and machined ready for me to get the clearances all wrong so it blows up on first start.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Have to wince every time Derek from VGG is at his brothers place and there is an Infowars sticker on the work bench.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Town I lived in NH where my wife ran as a Democrat involved a few calls to the police and attempted vandalism attempts. Yes go and try to spray poo poo and smash windows on the house with a ton of cameras and flood lights. Thankfully it never went further than that and the shotgun stayed in its case.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Have to add that Brexit did the same thing in Britain. People who used to not say stupid racist poo poo in their mind saw a majority of the country agree with their racist poo poo so started saying it out loud. Of course racism was one reason people voted to leave along with being stupid enough to believe lies that could easily demonstrated to be lies and voting to leave as a protest vote against the government. Worked out well.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If you take the extra payment and throw it in an index fund and leave it there until it is enough to cover your remaining mortgage the likelihood you will pay your mortgage off sooner but you have to be cognizant of short term and long term capital gains taxes and the risk that the traders in the funds you own just put it all on black and the ball lands on red.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Woo emergency vet visit for the dog as he might be having a stroke. Ends up being a bad ear infection. Never get any brachycephalic dog unless you want to pay for pet insurance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Z doz is lord of this thread.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You have someone started who is left handed and needs a hammer right?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Better than the taser balls website

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am not a financial advisor.

Ok so easiest thing is to open a margin account with someone like TD, Etrade, Swarb etc… not an app, not some yolo WSB bullshit. Put your money in and buy some broad based index ETF, those offered by vanguard such as VTI are good bets. Then leave it the gently caress alone apart from adding more money to buy more stuff over time. Don’t sell anything for at least 12 months so you get long term capital gains tax rather than short term treating it as income and that is about it.

When you want to start using it for income sell some and buy some dividend stocks/ETFs that should produce the income you need and let the rest of your portfolio continue to grow.

You won’t be all jet packs and butlers in a year but it is a reliable way to get to gently caress you money*

* as long as society doesn’t end

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Already there, WW2 and Vietnam, I'll watch or read anything about it.

Go watch some stuff on early antiquity and be shocked at how advanced humanity was 4500 years ago and then have spent the time since making GBS threads in each other.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Krakkles posted:

I don’t own guns because I’m a liberal or whatever

Wife told me to get a hobby I could do I the summer here. There are a bunch of indoor ranges so I go down there, rent something that looks cool, grab some ammo and go try to hit the target in the nuts. So now it is like so I want something of my own so I can play gun dress up? As in modify the gun with a stupid paint scheme rather than a fat goon dress up as spec ops.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It has the same issue the Gladiator does in that it is too long and has 4 doors.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I've been called a "human being" and "fuckin pussy" here in Dallas for wearing a mask.

Woo-hoo Texas!

My experiences in Texas have only been negative because of a how lovely the minority of just terrible people are. Upto and including shoving my disabled wife out of the way at the line at Popeyes in a rest top in Amarillo that was just what I needed to deal with 4 days into a cross country drive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

At least drive a convertible.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

People feel empowered to say what they want and just because the son of an illegal immigrant is no longer president doesn’t mean people will put the inside thoughts back inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wake me up when September ends.