Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’m posting this in July, this thread is early :smugbert:

Woke up this morning to messages from the in-laws about the apartment building across from their house burning. Just got a follow-up: two people dead and they’re saying it was arson.

Hopefully one of the dead is the arsonist but that’s asking a lot.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2021/07/31/2-dead-after-eagle-river-apartment-fire-police-say/

quote:

Two people are dead following a fire in an apartment complex early Saturday morning in Eagle River, Anchorage police said.

Police said they were investigating it as a homicide and arson investigation.

Police officers and Anchorage firefighters were notified of a structure fire at 2:11 a.m. on Saturday, police said. A unit inside of the apartment complex was on fire — in the 16000 block of Meadow Creek Drive.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and found the first victim in the unit, police said. A second victim was found later as investigators searched the apartment. Police said the victims were an adult man and woman.

The identities of both individuals will be released following notification of next of kin.

Anyone with information regarding the incident are encouraged to call 311, or to leave an anonymous tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That’s still cheaper than real estate. Our house has nearly doubled in the last 8 years.

Our wages have not.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last time I was in Hawaii I talked to a guy on Maui that was gonna be homeless because the apartment buildings on his street were bought up by investment capital that was just gonna let them sit empty, waiting for their "investment" to go up in price enough to make big profits without the hassle of dealing with tenants.

We have a MIL apartment and our tenants are grad students doing their student teaching year. They applied for housing assistance through The State and were approved. Now it’s my turn.

I’ve now made three phone calls, dug out my tax returns for the last two years, and need to stop by the bank to get some paperwork the rental assistance place is demanding.

They had 800 slots statewide for rental assistance and there is still space available. At this point I’m going to get this drat application finished out of spite for the system. And I’m the landlord!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Hot drat, Toyota has added the 40 series Land Cruiser to their heritage parts program and may add ‘later models’ as well.

https://toyotagazooracing.com/pressrelease/2021/0801-01/

quote:

Toyota to Reproduce Spare Parts for the Land Cruiser
2021.08.01 (Sunday)

Toyota City, Japan, August 1, 2021―TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has announced that it will reproduce spare parts for the Land Cruiser in celebration of its 70th anniversary today, August 1. The parts will be reproduced for the 40 Series Land Cruiser, which was produced between 1960 and 1984, as part of the GR Heritage Parts Project.

The project reproduces spare parts that have been discontinued and sells them as genuine parts through a special collaboration with suppliers, in order to support customers who wish to continue driving older vehicles that are full of memories and that they truly love.

The Land Cruiser has long promised “to take people anywhere and everywhere and come back alive and safe.” Even models whose production has been discontinued for several decades continue to be cherished by large numbers of customers all over the world, and continue to actively support lives, livelihoods, and more fulfilling lifestyles. However, recent years have seen a shortage of spare parts, with Land Cruiser owners expressing fears they will no longer be able to drive their vehicles.

For this reason, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has made the decision to reproduce parts for which there is greatest demand and need, so that customers can continue to drive their cherished vehicles in safety and with peace of mind. The company has carried out preliminary surveys with exclusive Land Cruiser dealers and fan club representatives from across the globe and, as a result of these activities, it is advancing preparations to reproduce and sell parts related to the critical functions of driving, turning, and braking for the 40 Series Land Cruiser. These parts will be supplied as “heritage parts,” and will include engines, drivelines, and exhaust systems. Availability of parts will be launched as preparations have been completed, with a target launch date of the beginning of 2022.

Additionally, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is preparing a questionnaire form on its website* where customers can submit their reproduction requests. This feedback will be used in the selection of the next parts to be reproduced.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has previously supplied heritage parts for the A70 and A80 Supra, and the 2000GT, but this will be the first time it has reproduced spare parts for the Land Cruiser. In addition to the 40 Series, the company intends to discuss reproduction of parts for later generations of the model.

https://www.toyota.co.jp/cmpnform/pub/co/landcruiser_form_en

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Need to build my car workshop with inside storage and rent out parking spaces https://www.neighbor.com what can go wrong?

You’ve got this all wrong. When they skip payment you put a lien on the title and become the proud owner of a Chevrolet Celebrity with no keys that someone parked in your garage because it was easier than trying to dispose of without a title.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

COVID-19 is not rare anymore.

Also your odds of dying from it are quite low if you’re not a loving idiot.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

From what I can see the cut-off point for being able to afford a house easily are people who are currently in their late 30's. Anybody older than that had a decent chance at being able to afford a house and pay it off with a normal job, anybody under that is pretty hosed and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better.

We fall into that late-30s category and closed on our house in January 2013. We skipped ‘starter homes’ and went right for what we wanted because we’re privileged enough to do so. It really feels like our friends have been left behind.

-BUT-

Our house was built in 1980. It was refinanced in 1984 with enough funds taken out to build a detached garage with MIL suite (major selling points for us). Valuation: $500,000.

In 1985/6/7 the market crashed. They had to sell the house at a loss and our PO paid $280,000. Still a lot of money for 1987.

In 2013 we paid $469,000 - still not as high as it was appraised in 1984. In the last year there have been comps on neighboring streets selling between $760,000 and $960,000.

My parents bought a house a couple months before I was born in 1983. My little sister was born at Christmas in 1985 and the company my dad worked for declared bankruptcy two weeks later. They put that house on the market and things were still doing well enough that it sold the same day they listed and for the same price they had paid - they got lucky.

They bought the house I grew up in in 1987. It was built in 1984 and sold new for $174,500. The original owners were foreclosed on and my parents bought it for $98,000. The neighboring houses have been selling in the mid-300s lately.

Home prices go up and down. I feel like the current bubble will have to pop sooner or later.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Costcotravel.com is great for car rentals, assuming you have a Costco membership.

Executive members even get 2% back on car rentals. That surprised the heck out of me when we got our 2019 rebate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, even if you have nearly no assets GET A BASIC WILL MADE. One of my coworkers is suffering through probate right now, his sister dropped dead last year and even with two young kids to provide for it's taking months to legally sort out the estate because she had nothing in writing.

No will = probate. Full stop.

Even something as simple as “All to spouse” if it’s notarized is enough to keep you out of probate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

…senior cop quickly de-escalated and talked him down. No shots fired and suspect talked out from what we could hear.

Definitely not American.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So that sucks. Another reason for therapy I guess.

You have enough reasons for therapy already. We need to find something that makes you genuinely happy.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've ran into the same thing, dreamed about owning a particular car forever then drive it and can't figure out why people pay what they do for it. Test drive all the cars, eventually you'll find something that makes you smile.

The really annoying side of this is when you pooh-pooh something for years and then it turns out you love it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I did a brisket last night. Beautiful smoke ring, nice bark, and the point was perfectly moist.

I did not take pictures because I was busy piling it onto Hawaiian rolls and shoveling it into my face.

I’m also always shy about how my cooking looks. Partially because it seems like a lot of proud cooks are effing terrible - a guy I know posted pictures of his brisket to brag and it was rare. RARE BRISKET. He must have cut it with a saw. I’m scared that my cooking looks just as bad.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I got poo poo a while back for some medium rare steak but idgaf. I think it just didn't photograph well, it was perfect. Just post it.

You know what good food taste like and looks like. Worst case scenario you learn that you can improve it.

I mean, yes, but also rare brisket is objectively wrong. It has to be cooked to break down the gristle.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have a Ryobi generator that is 2200 starting watts and 1700 running watts, and it has two 120v outlets, will I be able to safely run my refrigerator and freezer off of it?

I will be using 25ft and 50ft 12/3 AWG extension cords with it.

Are we talking a combined unit or two?

Look at the electrical rating on the equipment and see. They may add up to less than 1700W. If that’s the case you’re 100% golden. If more than that, but less than 2200W, you’re *probably* fine. Refrigeration equipment draws a huge starting load to get the compressor working and then not a lot after that.

If it adds up to over 2200W I wouldn’t try it, personally. If nothing else it will probably overload the minute you look away.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

STR posted:

You can pry Winamp out of my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

It really whips the llama’s rear end.

Darchangel posted:

I hear retro is in. I mean, you can get Polaroid film again! I have one of those, too...

I have quite a few Polaroids. I even have a stash of refrigerated FP-100C film, but I need a camera for it. A modded SX-70 is my travel camera.

My desk display (I need to throw up some empty packs from after they rebranded):

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

What’s the best GPS app with offline maps? TomTom?

I’m planning a road trip next month and it looks like there will be a lot of places with lousy signal. I’d rather not buy a device but I will pay for an app.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Google maps (and I assume Apple Maps, but AM sucks) requires each map area be manually downloaded. I’m not really fond of the idea of manually downloading Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

quote:

Something Awful was edgy in 2003, now it's filled with old nerds.

quote:

SomethingAwful might have been part of the general cesspool that the Internet was back in the 00's, but now it's just a place for frustrated leftists to yell at other frustrated leftists

We’re being attacked.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

slidebite posted:

Also, there are tax implications which that might be invoked (investing and utilizing the cash). I am not familiar enough with the US tax system but I know in Canada we are very limited on tax shelters where you could invest $$ like that and not be absolutely slammed with capital gains/tax penalties if you needed access to it. Of course, hopefully your returns>tax rate and you would still almost certainly come out ahead, but it will still sting.

Capital gains tax is a tax on the gains, not the capital. If you put in :10bux: you will only be taxed on the amount over that.

Say you double your money and pull out $20. You will only be taxed on the second :10bux:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Brother in law FINALLY got vaccinated because he was given the ultimatum of "get it or get fired"

Didn't go down without a fight though. He couldn't just go get the vaccine. He had to go to the loving hospital and pretend he was dying after he got it. He was admitted for a full day before he got it because he threw such a tantrum about it that nobody wanted to be the one to give it to him.
Then his wife called her mother and blamed her for "killing my husband because she voted for Biden."

What a couple of loving shitheads.

That’s going to be a fun bill to pay.

Also gently caress him for taking a hospital bed right now.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Any suggestions for getting out leaf spring pins? They’re stuck in the bushings and I’m trying to avoid torching them out.

I had a shower thought to try some DEET, I might do that after work.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The gently caress did you do in a past life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Let's take a right turn please and everyone wish me a happy birthday. 37.

Happy birthday, have some old people music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnug5_h6DJQ