Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
My personal approach to wind turbines being terrible was having a long, easy sandbox session where I researched upgrade sets for all the various power production buildings and then filled up my Arks storage with them to switch out as needed. Power production are the most universally useful ark upgrades in general IMO, with how many of those buildings you tend to create.

Also, IMO you should have at least invited Tilda. And/or Hector, he's not that big of a hassle on easy. Hell, having both is funny because especially later on Tilda is actually going to kick his rear end. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I think the notion is that thermal plants burn the city's garbage as fuel to generate power.

Afaik they're actually meant to be just futuristic (in terms of efficiency) waste heat recycling system, running thermoelectric generators via the waste heat of the neighbourhood they're in.

Poil posted:

Personally I utterly despise the awful field puzzles in these games as the worst thing they every added to the series.

You'll love to hear that 1800 has partially ditched it again. Animal farms still have it there, but crops farms only need X tiles covered in fields while giving you total freedom other than requiring all of it to be connected to the farm.

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 15, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, the beamer plant resource needs are kinda uniquely borked up. Then again, overproducing rare earth and diamonds slightly doesn't hurt, especially when Trenchcoat is around to buy them.

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 22, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Pretty much any of the "standard" electricity buildings can become stupid good if you stack their upgrades together, to be fair. Off-shore windparks with all the upgrades have a stupid small exclusion zone, for example.

Also, there's another way to get prototypes, via Hiro. It's randomised, but pretty cost-efficient and should be spammed in a long round in which you want to do a lot of Academy stuff.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 30, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I can kind of let Blue Byte get away with a lot of mechanics like this being half-baked in 2070, it was their first non-historical Anno game. The series before this point was exclusively old historical titles, and it's obvious in some places where Blue Byte was kind of kludging things together into the near-future setting. Pollution has returned in Anno 1800, as I understand it, but Alkydere or someone else would have to explain how well that game does or does not handle it.

Tl;dr: Islands in 1800 have an "attractiveness" score. Polluting heavy industry and "vulgar" buildings (pig farms, slaughterhouses, soap factories) penalise it while untouched nature, various ornaments, cultural buildings (zoos, museums, botanical gardens), monuments and a few other things increase it. Low attractiveness gives a happiness penalty to your population -not that important, it mostly governs how likely people are to riot and hold festivals; plus they tend to be happy enough anyway if their luxury needs are fulfilled - and the overall score is the bedrock of the tourism/visitors system.

Overall, it doesn't really matter much outside of your big main island and it's pretty easy later on to put your polluting heavy industry and pig farming onto its own designated hellpit island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
...jesus, I literally never had a nuke plant go boom on me in like 200+ hours of playtime. Talk about losing the lottery.