Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Alkydere posted:

ATOMZ R SCARRY!

The Anno anti-nuke stance continues in 2205 to a rather absurd degree to avoid using nuclear fission to solve a global energy crisis. It's part of why I like 1800 in that it avoids the nuclear question by being at the very introduction of electrical power grids.

In some cases though I do understand it. Ionizing radiation is a quiet, invisible, pervasive killer that by the time you've noticed the effects on a biological level it's too late. It's also one that was introduced to the world in a legitimately horrible way. The true power of the atom was only really revealed to the world at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and before that you had researchers like Curie dying horribly after playing with radiation (and after that too: the Demon Core hungered for blood...which wasn't helped by the fact that scientists handled it like a toy). Also nuclear plants are expensive which just adds another layer of inertia that needs to be overcome.

Cold war propaganda around nuclear wars took it too far, and Chernobyl didn't really help. In my opinion it's monumentally stupid throwing untold money at low-possibility stuff like hydrogen and not investing in already developed breeder nuclear but what the gently caress do I know.

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if there really is a way to extract silica from rivers that can be termed "environmentally friendly". Aren't you just hoovering up the sand from the river bed? That can't be good for the river, and should in no way be sustainable for very long.

Dredging sand from rivers is pretty much a fully renewable resource and done across the world, the problem is actually getting silica (quartz) sand and not literally anything else like limestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

OutofSight posted:

Nah. I don't believe that "but advancing technology will save us and improve lives for the better!" dogma.

So long as most the private sector memes "BUT THE PROFITS!", i don't want to see nuclear power in private sector. Rather build a million coal plants/ wind turbines/ solar panels. Those don't go nuclear meltdown or someone tries to sink nuclear waste in the nearest ocean to cut costs. Now those idiots can't even stop their electric car batteries from blowing up.

Blame that history taught us that the individuals involved are just not responsible when nuclear fission is involved.

How do you feel on private sector working on maintaining hydro dams then? Far, far more potential of things going pear shaped than dumping nuclear waste into the ocean.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Man I sometimes wonder why I never played Anno as it seems kinda down my alley, then I see stuff like this and remember that I could honestly just play Factorio or some poo poo if I wanted to take care of all new needs that keep on popping up.