Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah club soda has a li’l bit of salt in it and if you take the Pepsi challenge with it side by side with plain seltzer it’s noticeable. That’s by design since it’s meant to be used as a mixer and the salt enhances the taste of the drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I like that we call ice cream floats "Spiders" in Australia. It's like a terrifying and loving brilliant joke and I love it.

By the way, Fanta and vanilla ice cream Spiders are great. Also Sprite and like some fruity ice cream? I like Sprite in them. Other than that I dunno, I never really had them much.

makes sense since the Australian land mass is approximately 80% spiders by volume

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Dairy Queen still makes them. Its never actually on the menu but some crusty old manager will remember how to do it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The quinine in tonic water comes from the bark of the south American Cinchola tree. The tree got it's name from the wife of some Conquistador. It was the only thing that people could use back then to treat malaria, which was a huge problem for white Europeans who had little or no resistance to it - on a side note, that's also why so many African slaves were brought to the new world.

Later, the English would import it to India - hence the popular brand of Schweppes Tonic Water has 'Indian Tonic Water' on the label. This was also around the time when gin was the most popular clear spirit for making cocktails. Vodka would later become the most popular cocktail spirit. People wanted to taste the non-alcoholic ingredients of their cocktails and all the botanicals in gin were overpowering.

For some reason a few years ago there was a huge gin revival in Ireland and all be damned if I know the reason why. It was getting ridiculous. Sure, we keep fresh lemons and limes but people started asking for poo poo like honeycomb and fresh strawberries out of season. I'm glad the gin fad is over.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tonic water is delicious, even without booze. Those crisp bitter bubbles over ice with a squeeze of lime :yum:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

quinine is from tree bark but not anything even close to a birch tree

Thank you I hadn't noticed can u tell me next which root the beer from rootbeer I should be tasting

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

Thank you I hadn't noticed can u tell me next which root the beer from rootbeer I should be tasting

According to wikipedia it used to be sassafras root but was replaced by an organic compound found in evergreen and black birch trees. Neat-o

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Now do blue moon ice cream and pretend you don't have wiki

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

also if you had 'vanilla' soda and could put 'blue moon' ice cream in it to make a 'shake', yea or nay?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

Now do blue moon ice cream and pretend you don't have wiki

I happened to know about quinine without having to look anything up thank you very much. Because I read a book about malaria. Books are cool, try reading one.

Big Beef City posted:

also if you had 'vanilla' soda and could put 'blue moon' ice cream in it to make a 'shake', yea or nay?

nay, that sounds pretty flavorless other than sugar plus sugar. vanilla / cream soda is crap.

ice cream guinness otoh I'd get down with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Milk ice cream, no flavour with tonic water for my next spider. Get it in ya.