Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sassy Witch
This poll is closed.
Magilou 33 28.45%
Oddium 9 7.76%
All of them 15 12.93%
All of them (except the problematic ones) 30 25.86%
metis, whose birthday is this month 12 10.34%
Metis cannot stop editing polls 17 14.66%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Infinitum posted:

No Bowsette. No vote.

bowsette is absolutely a sassy witch (see poll option 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wuggles posted:

To continue this from the last thread, I think Hades is THE game to make you cool with dying. It’s part of the story, and every time you do you get some sort of meaningful progression out of it. Dark Souls, too. When I was playing DS2 at a good clip (pre-Smelter Demon) it finally clicked that I should be going on suicide runs for items and to explore, because unless you’re carrying 100k souls around or you’ve gone very far since your last bonfire, dying in that game is absolutely meaningless.

The three things that make me mad when I die are losing progress, having died a lot, and not being able to see how I would ever win. There’s really nothing you can do about the first. The second means it’s time to put the controller down and do something else. The third is temporary, because especially in Souls-adjacent games getting over that hump is part of the experience. Smelter Demon went from “gently caress this loving guy it’s bullshit my fists don’t do anything to him maybe I should summon” to “oh, I got greedy at the end there — I’ve got him this time.”

An example of a game where I did NOT get over the hump was the arcade mode Nagoryuki in Guilty Gear (not even the secret one). They buff his frames and damage and he doesn’t get hurt by his own super anymore. I tried about 10 times, could tell I wasn’t making any progress, and decided it wasn’t something I ever wanted to figure out how to do, which is also something you need to be able to say.

Anyway, the Waypoint episode from Tuesday had someone basically ask the same question at the end if you’re interested. They also recommended Hades.

i never had this problem in Dark Souls or Sekiro, but for some reason it's really bad for me in Path of Exile and yes, Hades

the reason i brought it up was cause ive been playing PoE this week and trying out a new build, after a bunch of balance changes and stuff, so me dying to stuff i "should" be able to handle easily is loving with me. my brain thinks i shouldn't be dying in a t2 map so i get frustrated, even though its not really a big deal. i can keep trying.

Hades though... i don't know what it is about that game. maybe its the fact that you have to start over from the beginning with each death, and see the same 4 areas over and over again with little variation, which makes the game actually seem very short--i hate repetition with little progress. maybe its the fact that healing is hard to come by, so any mistake early on in the run hurts all that much more and hangs over me the whole rest of the way. maybe it's the fact that the game *knows* you died, because the npcs comment on it, and things change, and i dont get to pretend it didn't happen.

then there's the fact that even with a ton of mirror upgrades and god mode turned on i still couldn't reliably get to hades, much less beat him. and then i hear you have to beat him a whole bunch of times to get the true ending or whatever? that just puts a giant hill in front of me that i don't want to climb.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's fine he's still over in HotS

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

this lady seems very sassy and also suspiciously witchy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Have there ever been cool & good elves in video games?

this battle calls for massive fiyahpowah

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

actually let me change my answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuSP5MoEQTU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:parrot:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

alright on a complete out of the blue whim i have purchased Guilty Gear Strive

i have watched the first two chapters of the story mode and read a few random things in the glossary and i am already extremely pleased with my purchase

i think there's also a video game in here somewhere but first i need to see how potemkin fits in with whatever is going on in the basement of the White House of the United State of America

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lmao yes he shows up in the first chapter and i was like holy poo poo it's him. he's so fuckin huge. and his stupid eyepatch had me cackling

they really zoom in on the character models too so you get to see all the insane detail put into them, like goldlewis' dumb eyepatch, sol badguy's headband that says ROCK YOU, i-no's jacket that says Marlene (which i learned from the glossary is the name of her guitar), the secret service stars that the president designed with the silly cartoon face

every new thing i notice just blows me away. it's all so incredibly silly. i can't wait to see more.

also can't wait to start fishing but i think i might actually need to play the video game part to get money for it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i did it, i beat GGS story mode

by which i mean i watched all 6 hours and pretty much understood everything that was going on thanks to rigorous studying of the glossary between chapters!

tomorrow i will actually play the video game part! wow!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The GG Strive anime is unfortunately really boring, I nodded off at least a couple times in the middle of one of Happy Chaos' 27 jokerfied monologues. Kind of a letdown after reading up on the insanity of the GG storyline up to this point. The actual game part is superb however.

it was pretty wild.

long-winded monologues about the philosophy of why i want to maybe/maybe not destroy the world is pretty standard anime stuff, and talking is a free action, etc. i really enjoyed it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so i booted up the tutorial for GGS this morning and go through the "tutorial" mission which is just a very quick thing that lets you button mash against a ky kiske for a bit until you win. then booted up the Online mode which let me customize my avatar (i had done a bit of fishing with my free W$ from winning the tutorial) and had another little tutorial fight - as it was saying "let's find out where you rank!" i was like "floor 0 please. the very bottom." nope it put me on floor 6. right in the middle. oh no

but i look pretty cool (i stole Sol's jacket)

i ran away from the online mode immediately and started the actual Missions up which are the real tutorial and training stuff.

so that's going good until at one point i hit the wrong key on Mission Select and wound up selecting the Hell level difficulty missions and so my tutorial missions went from:

"press > > to dash!" [nice. easy.]
"press up to jump!" [got it. i'm learnding.]
[accidentally switch difficulties without noticing]
"hit the enemy with this attack while he's jumping!" [okay - a bit more advanced but okay, i managed to complete it]
"do a dash input roman cancel!" [at this point my mom was wondering why i kept yelling "what the hell is a roman candle??"]

i spent a good 10-15 minutes looking at key bindings and trying to hit the 5 step combo it wanted me to do but eventually i thought maybe i had messed something up and so i backed out and realized my mistake. i was laughing my rear end off at myself.

i thought drat this tutorial really escalated quickly. :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i relate to this bird on an incredibly deep level

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i really wish i could just embed images from these stupid wiki websites

it's this one

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i still don't even get the title. what the gently caress is a free guy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah i think his name is Guy but they should have just named the movie "NPC" because that's what the premise is, and thats what people call them, literally nobody has ever said "free guy"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lmao it took me a minute to realize who tweeted that. incredible

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also i beat GG Strive's Arcade mode and got this screen

so i guess that's that :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

thanks mr. concierge

i think

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

today i spent like 5-6 hours in guilty gear just doing poo poo in training mode

i didnt fight anyone but i feel like i have improved a little bit. and thats what matters

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i meant to say "still my heart is blazing"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

they're called "yalms"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i didn't remember to take any pics but i did play known sassy witch, I-no, for a bit last night. she seems fun but i think i'm going to stick with my Big Boy

speaking of i managed to beat a round of Survival, that was fun. the game is also very kind

and now i'm a pretty pony

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I've been playing Bayonetta. She's not sassy, tho.

how is she not sassy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

If someone plays Guilty Gear it inevitably leads to discussions about a certain character which inevitably becomes a mess.

I say no Guilty Gear!

Though there is someone named Sol Badguy, and that's always fun.

the best character is Potemkin because he is big and strong and is my friend, though i still need to learn how to best give out hugs with him

also Sol Badguy is the main protagonist

(yes i'm still having fun with Strive, watched Evo over the weekend and that was pretty sick)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the character's real name is Frederick Bulsara https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATb7e8zgyo he's just one big Freddie Mercury reference :allears:

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2021

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's still pretty easy to get through the main story acts of Path of Exile, but completing the whole endgame maps nonsense now feels even farther out of my reach

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

wtf

https://twitter.com/octopimp/status/1427316974682476544?s=21

zoomers please stop and learn how to consume media

they better leave octo alone or he will take them to heaven

and then back down very quickly

i was messing around in training mode to see all the character's reactions to getting Heavenly'd and Nagoryuki, the badass cyborg vampire samurai, has a reaction line where he just says "ow, the sun is so close..." then when he lands on the still-burning ground he's just fuckin chillin'

what a baller. he's so cool.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so i had a rough day today, work was annoying and all the poo poo in the news is extremely loving depressing, one of my friends is sick and i'm worried about him, but after work i was having a nice time in Strive playing around with some things

but then i decided to do a bit of online games. first game was an absolute lag fest (200ms, 7 frame rollback the whole time) and that wasn't any fun

and then i got utterly decimated by a guy named Sith Lord May and that should probably tell you what you need to know. the horrible part is all he was doing was just jumping at me and air hitting me, but i could not for the life of me do anything to counter him, couldn't land any anti-airs, couldn't capitalize when i did, and just got completely creamed

and so my brain decided to fall into a death spiral of self loathing, "why can't i just hit him, i suck so goddamn bad" getting frustrated, angry, my arms start shaking, then the thoughts turn to "why am i so emotional about a stupid video game, i shouldn't be like this, this is so stupid, i shouldn't be crying" which then just loops back on itself and i end up crying.

so then i quit obviously and tried to watch some streams and find something else to do, and i booted up Monster Hunter World because i'm very good at that game and i can just hop in and help someone with an assignment. did that, kicked the poo poo out of a nargacuga and had a great time, but then.... my graphics card overheats and starts making this awful grinding sound. the same thing it had done before when playing New World and even once in Path of Exile.

so now... i can't even play a game to relax. i ordered a pc case riser stand thing to try and lift it off of the carpet to maybe get some better airflow but i don't have too much hope that it will actually work. i don't really have anything else to do in the meantime either.

all in all a pretty lovely day.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm sorry. You don't have any non-pc games you could play or anything with super low requirements that won't make your pc act up that you could try to relax with do you?

not really, i have stuff like monster hunter rise and stories 2 but i don't really feel compelled to play those any more, other stuff like stardew valley i could play but it's kind of a Solved Game scenario, it'd just be repeating stuff i've done before and that bores me to death.

wuggles posted:

Sorry about your day. Strive comes and goes for me. Saturday was terrible, it felt like I couldn’t hit any buttons right, then last night I played a few games and everything clicked perfectly. Also, were those your first online games or had you gone on before?

not my very first, i've done maybe 15 or so matches online so far. its less a problem with the game or my performance (a friend sat down with me last night and we watched my replays and he had a lot of good things to say about what i was able to do in the match, especially for a beginner, and that was really nice) it's just my brain implodes on itself some days and falls into the death spiral/negative feedback loop and i don't really have any way of pulling myself out of it.

hopefully today will be better.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

in good news today i got my little stand riser thing for my PC case to raise it up off the carpet and it seems to have worked

ran around in Hoarfrost Reach in MHWI for a while and the hottest it got was 77C, and the fans never had to spin up to max

it was very easy to assemble too and seems nice and sturdy so all in all a good purchase :toot:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've spent many a night whiling away the wee hours before sleep watching endless clips from QI

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

at least one of them has Stephen Fry and that's what we're really here for

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys fighting games are really hard :(

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

did anyone try that Roguebook game?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i used to play Heroes of the Storm super casually, just rolling in against medium/easy level bots with randos and having a good time, theres lots of different characters that are fun and interesting to play with and i basically never lose cause its just bots but it still feels rewarding even if i never fought against actual players

i have been trying to chase that easy fun with other games but i dont know if i'll ever find it again. i have been on hard boycott of everything blizzard since the blitzchung thing but i keep thinking about loading up HotS again. obviously i would never give them any money (not that they're even putting out new heroes or content much anymore) but i've already got all the heroes i like from before and i miss doing silly poo poo with Abathur and Rexxar.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Good or bad I'll play the new Saints Row when it escapes Epic

I didn't care about 2 because I played 1 and it was bad

both 1 and 2 are really good actually

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man so apparently NMH3 and Psychonauts 2 are both good

I'm not gonna buy either immediately but it makes me happy to see my anticipation be rewarded

I have sworn an oath not to play anything else until I get through Metal Gear Ac!d

psychonauts 2 is on gamepass so if you have that you dont need to buy it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guilty gear strive's story mode is literally just a 4.5 hour in-engine anime movie

it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I didn't mind this approach, but like, almost literally nothing happened in those 4.5 hours. It was just a lot of exposition. The whole thing ended up being very boring and disappointing.

i enjoyed it, because i was completely baffled the entire time, and going back and looking through the glossary between chapters, and any time potemkin wasn't on the screen i was asking "where is potemkin?!" and then potemkin showed up and did a cool thing and that was cool.

i had absolutely 0 expectations going into it and i was mildly entertained which exceeded those expectations. win win.

also how can you say nothing happened, the fuckin white house turned into a spaceship and started flying to mexico lol that poo poo is great