Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There's been rumblings about Rocker having reduced velocity and stuff for a couple months now, so this isn't really surprising to anyone who has been following the draft stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Luxury Tax needs to go. Not that they would have spent that money anyway, but it's one less barrier for cheap owners to hide behind

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Oh, and maybe you think dicking around Kris Bryant with blatant service time manipulation had something to do with him not wanting to take a lowball offer from you?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's there to act as a de-facto salary cap since the union will not agree to a real one

There shouldn't be a salary cap, "fake" or otherwise.

Intruder posted:

Half of teams are $65m or more below the tax threshold

Only 8 teams are within $25m of it

Yeah that's also a farce. Teams should be spending money, not hoarding it. It's bad when you have teams like Boston who won't make a deadline move and hide behind the luxury tax as a reason why, when they can easily afford the penalty and the move. Look at the Dodgers, they don't give a poo poo and are willing to go all in. They aren't the only team who can spend like that, they are just more or less the only one who *will*

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 3, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

If there isn't then small metros are just farm teams for large cities, as every city important enough for a huge international airport fights to assemble dream teams. The reason the current system fails is because the lack of a floor and has invited owners to use various teams as blatant farm system subtitutes anyway.

The NBA's system works for a league that puts teams in Sacramento and Oklahoma City and other less-moneyed areas. That the Bucks still have Giannis and now a trophy is a success of that system.

Lol, the NBA's system is super messed up. It's convoluted as hell and has all kinds of weird poo poo, and the players are restricted about how much money they can make.

Not that MLB is the best, but it's better than what the NBA has going on.
Don't believe the lies that all these teams outside of like three cities can't afford large payrolls, they definitely can. The owners are all loaded, they get revenue sharing money, TV/Streaming money, etc. Look at the NFL, every team is right up against the cap (or over) and there are teams in real armpits like Jacksonville and Buffalo that still get players and bump the salary cap. poo poo, Green Bay is a marquee team in that league and that place is a desolate hole too. Small market futility is a myth perpetuated by the owners and gobbled up by fans who don't care to understand what's going on.

Super Teams is only a thing in the NBA, and only because the players force their way out of town to go play with their friends. And even then, there is still only so many roster spots. In every other sport that kind of a thing isn't plausible because the players don't have as much of a direct impact on the game, and again there are only so many roster spots.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Actually since you brought up the NBA, the Knicks should be a perennial contender because everyone wants the prestige of playing in NY and in MSG right? Nope, they have a hard time getting huge names in there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That is a one off situation because of how incompetent their ownership is. If they had a replacement level owner they would be a really good franchise.

Of course, but awful owners exist everywhere. Dan Snyder, the Nuttings, Dolan, idk who is a poo poo owner in the NHL but I'm sure there is one. The Steelers are a perennial top team in the NFL and more or less a model franchise. The Pirates in the same market cry poor and say they can't compete, meanwhile meanwhile the phillies spend a lot and have an owner who cares about winning and they are in the same state.

The difference between the steelers and pirates is the Rooneys are good owners and hire people who know what they are doing, and Bob Nutting is a dumb, cheap dipshit who doesn't care about winning. He's content just collecting his revenue sharing checks and blaming everything on someone else

Yes I know the NFL and MLB aren't direct comparisons. But Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh no matter the sport,, it's not a destination city like Miami or LA and never will be. Players will go play there if they think they can win

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cole AND Montgomery tested positive for Covid now :negative:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

kensei posted:

A good number of those posts are mine, to be sure.

And mine. I couldn't tell you how many times they would beat the Yankees with some dumb bullshit like Jeff Mathis hitting for a 500 OPS on the year turning into Barry Bonds for a series all the time, or mother loving Chone Figgins

Then they would go and poo poo their pants against the Red Sox every time.

gently caress the Angels for having and wasting Mike Trout, and gently caress the Angels for always making the playoffs with a bunch of stiffs and John Lackey for like a decade.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The Garrett Anderson/Tim Salmon angels OWNED the Yankees and I hated them a lot.

The team after that too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Its kind of annoying that right as the Pats take a step back a bunch of Astros fans have decided to take up the contemptible banner of self righteous "I don't even understand why you're mad" nonsense.

What the Astros did is worse than anything the Patriots did or didn't do. The other thing that doesn't help is the players didn't face any kind of penalty for it and are just like the fans with the "I don't get why your mad". Then you had MLB step in to protect them further because Dusty Baker cried about them maybe getting thrown at and how it wasn't fair

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Popete posted:

Has every Yankees player had Covid multiple times at this point? Seems like it.

Judge
Sanchez
DJ (2020)
Cole
Monty
Chapman (2020)
Gleyber (twice)
Loaisiga
Nestor Cortes

Phil Nevin
Reggie Willits
Matt Blake

Might be more, I can't remember

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

we sure of this?

One of the two of them is, we just don't know which one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Yankees all getting covid, Rizzo aside, is not doing well for the "get vaxxed to stop the plague" movement

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm blacked out of Dodgers and Angels and I'd actually watch some but LMAO gently caress cable packages

Thats where the .. lets call them "off market" streams come into play

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

more falafel please posted:

I assume naming these by name, and more specifically by URL is verboten here, right?

Not sure tbh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Man, you guys remember Chenball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yankees are calling up Peraza, so that might mean Torres is going to be gone for a while. Hopefully he gets to play every day and doesn't get jerked around

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Just to the taxi squad for the Iowa series, I don't think it points to anything bigger than that.

Did you see their fielding the last couple days. He should be playing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jeds entire career has been riding Theos coat tails

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Fire Andrew Heaney into the sun

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's actually bad for Bauer he is letting those questions through

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Union should never agree to that, it's designed to make MLB look good in the press to the public but the actual system sucks.

The luxury tax needs to go and there needs to be a real rear end floor.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Timby posted:

MLB will never, ever go for a hard salary floor without a hard cap. That's been their response in every round of CBA negotiations going back to 2003.

Then no luxury tax it is

Also say no to international draft

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Given the public comments by the fired Mariners guy and then what Steve Cohen just said about the draft, yeah I'm sure it will come up

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Timby posted:

The MLBPA literally and legally does not represent minor leaguers, and under the leadership of Tony Clark it has shown no indication of giving two hoots about teams having an automatic six years of control over players once their service time clock starts ticking. Don't hold your breath.

They don't like service time gaming

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

how long does "elbow inflammation" persist before it turns into "torn UCL in need of TJS" I wonder?

https://twitter.com/ragazzoreport/status/1428353091217215491

A month into next season

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

this sounds like the appropriately :mets: answer

It will retroactively come out that he and/or the team knew and wanted to try rest + rehab first and then everyone will go wtf why didn't he just start the clock last year when the team was dead and going nowhere, now you wasted this whole season + part of next year too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Tanaka is the exception to the norm, and also has been much worse after having that injury than before it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Might as well suspend him for the rest of the year and kill two birds with one stone since he definitely isn't gonna be on the field anyway

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If soccer fans haven't given up yet then USA sports fans never will

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Dead & Company has three OG members of the Dead plus John Mayer in it. Calling them a tribute band is technically true, but still some kind of shade by whoever wrote that article

Yeah but it's the grateful dead so they deserve the shade

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Velazquez hit a dinger, wow

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I blame people like Michael Kay endlessly complaining about September call ups

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

When I think "most hittable pitch ever" I immediately think of Beltran staring at a curveball down the middle for strike 3, ending the Mets' season.

Nah that was a good pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNe6cMsdsI&t=75s

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Butera was part of a particularly futile era in Twins offense where they Joe Mauer, a broken Justin Morneau and a bunch of sub 100 OPS+ guys after Thome retired

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Chad Green sucks now. Stop giving up bad homeruns you doofus

Baez is being a baby lol. It's not like the Mets fans want him and the team to suck just so they can boo him, they'd much rather them actually be good for once.
Baez is also the wrong guy to deliver that message too, he is bad and has been there for like 5 minutes. No one is going to care what he says

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is it just a visibility thing where it’s getting posted to social media more or have there just been more fights between fans this year? It’s happened a lot at NFL preseason games too

People don't know how to act right, especially in public, anymore after being inside for a couple months. It's fascinating how little time it took and it's not just at sporting events either

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Javy: money please
Cubs:

Cubs have nothing, much like the majority of Baez swings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They scored 3 runs in the last 2 games of that series. Impossible to win that way.

yes I know, but Green has been doing this for a couple weeks now