Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Rizzo has a 664 OPS+ as a Yankee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
lmao he mentioned Lance Lynn, a guy who has been undervalued his entire career, having an amazing year at age THIRTY FOUR, signed an extension for 2 years worth 38m.

Was he expecting Bryant to take like, 4/90 or something and be happy?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Today's outing isn't helping him...

but holy poo poo Freddy Peralta has a 3.9 H9 and the single season record for that is HILTON SMITH in 1944 at 4.36. Nobody else has ever had below 5.

Today's outing is the first time all season he has given up 6+ hits. 12 of his 19 starts he has given up 2 hits or less. That's nutty.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 4, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gorman Thomas posted:

Tbf Eckstein put up a respectable 13.1 bWAR for in 4 years with the Angels.

Excuse me that's World Series MVP David Eckstein.

bawfuls posted:

Hey nerd, that’s World Series MVP David Eckstein to you!

god dammit

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So this just happened in St. Louis

https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1423483974882668544

And that's leaving out the part where the Cardinals had a 4-2 lead with 2 outs before surrendering a 2-run laser by Austin Riley.

I posted this a long time ago but a "good" closer with an 8 BB9 is TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE.

Mike_V posted:

The front office is planning on sticking Reyes into the rotation next year!

I'm actually fine with this but the entire loving team has a BB9 problem. Allergic to throwing strikes or afraid that hitters are going to make good contact. Something needs to change.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Definitely the nadir of the season, of course we didn’t make any moves to sell at the deadline because?????

The team has Nolan (probably) and Goldy with Bader/Carlson/O'Neill looking good for next year. Who were they selling? This team NEVER puts itself in position for a sell off under Mo.

Jack/Hudson/CMart/Hicks/Mikolas all went down with super long term injuries and our outfield was hosed with two Bader injuries for the first half of the season.

They weren't going to sell Cabrera (free agent in 2026) or Gallegos (free agent in 2025) when they fully expect to compete for the division next season. There is nobody else to sell. The entire starting rotation plus probably our second best reliever went down. It's a lost season.

NOW, that being said, they did NOTHING to alleviate any of this. They knew they needed another quality starter and didn't get one. They knew they needed a bench bat outfielder (or good bat utility infielder) and didn't get one. The FO knew they were one or two injuries away from being entirely boned and instead they got 5+ injuries and they SUCK.

Instead they let let Wong go to save $10m. (Edman could have been the full utility guy for when injuries happened). Instead we gave Justin Williams 160 PA's (50 OPS+). Carpenter gets 200 PA's (80 OPS+ and terrible defense). Lane Thomas gets 60 PA's (13 OPS+).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m aware what their reasoning is but the roster, as constructed currently, is a bad hodgepodge. I know they never sell because their ethos doesn’t permit it but it’s been brutal for the past few months and it’s just getting worse. This whole series has been exhibit A for that

I totally agree. And I expect it to get worse. I've never seen a franchise tell their fans their season was over by buying up two washed up 70 year old pitchers to eat innings at the deadline. It's crazy. I'm not mad they didn't sell. But I am mad about the pre-season hodgepodge of a roster. They knew they needed more pieces. And they refused to acknowledge it.

Just hope Jack/Hicks/Hudson come back healthy next year. And hope this outfield continues to blossom and grow. They could be a ton of fun to watch (and they are now actually). Carp is off the books (18m), CMart is off the books (11m), and Andrew Miller is off the books (12m). I'd love to see Waino back (lol) but I know that comes with Yadi and god drat his bat is just loving gone and there's NO WAY he will say "yea, I can split time with Kniz." They can afford to go out and get 2-3 pieces to help this team.

I say all this when we won't have a season next year :suicide:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

The Cardinals aren't going to be good until there is a change in front office philosophy. They're going to linger around 78-84 wins and ownership will wonder why attendance is waning.

This season sure. But before that they've been under 84 wins once in Mo's tenure. Sure this current team isn't championship worthy. But literally add 2-3 pieces which they can absolutely afford and get the rotation back and it's competing for the division and then everyone knows anything can happen.

The team was like 30-22 and then lost Jack forever and Bader for the second time and then just continued to lose pieces. If they have back to back 78-84 wins (this year and next) Mo is gone. The 2014-2019 years weren't good enough to justify keeping him around any longer. Next year can be promising if they are allowed to spend some money that freed up.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tayter Swift posted:

Alex Rayes was a loving all-star this year god drat hahahahaa

Through June (when All-Star voting ended): .505 OPS against, a 0.96 ERA, and was 20/20 on save opportunities (with a 7.2 BB9 :banjo:)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Respect Our NEIGHBORHOOD

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If one thing comes out of the CBA I hope it's an entire overhaul of the minor league system and team control after draft.

I know this is an extreme case, but Tommy Pham was drafted in 2006 and has never been a free agent.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

kaworu posted:

If the Red Sox take anything from today's loss, it should be this: Never let Garrett Richards pitch another meaningful inning for this team ever again. It's tough to fault the bullpen on the whole when they've done such a great job overall on the season, and Barnes in particular especially since he pitched in TWO games yesterday followed by a day game today, and was probably wasted-tired.

I'm just going to blame it all on Richards being a lovely starting pitcher and needing a herculean effort, insane luck, and an incredibly fortunate strike zone with a couple of totally blown calls in his favor just to get through 5 innings while giving up 4 runs :rolleyes: At this point I almost care as much about seeing this guy get sent down or DFA'd as I do about the overall fate of the team.

This is a weird take considering Perez and Rodriguez are just as bad (although Perez just got demoted to the pen).

chilihead posted:

He probably is older then he said and took PED's. Not a hater, it happened to a ton of other players as well. Hope that the next collective bargaining agreement pays players when they are productive and not after the fact.

As a Braves/Angels fan I don't have to like him or respect him. Players gonna get paid, but drat to me he destroyed his legacy the last ten years. Say what you want about players getting paid, he never earned a dime on his Angels contract.

lmao ruined his legacy? Took PED's? His legacy was always going to be in STL. He almost hit 500 dingers and 500 doubles in 11 years with them. Nothing can ruin his legacy. Counting stat wise he arguably has the second greatest career a hitter has ever had behind Hank. And he *still* has a career 145 OPS+.

I really wish 2020 didn't get taken away from him. He had a somewhat legit chance to go 700/700. Would have been awesome.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Forrest on Fire posted:

I don't think that a short tank is really in the future, the Cubs don't have a particularly good farm system and their roster as-is is definitely in a transition phase. It'll be after JHey is gone and off the books the cubs sniff relevance again.

Heyward is gone in two years and his contract should absolutely not be preventing them from doing anything relevant with their payroll. He's making 22m.

But yea, the pitching on that 2016 team was insane. They had a team WHIP of 1.110 and their team ERA was by far the lowest in baseball. Picking up Lester, Lackey, Arrieta, Hammel from ~2014-2016 and then having every single one of them connect for a full year was pretty insane. They pretty much all started 30 games and threw 200 innings (except Hammel was at ~170).

Also the Cubs have basically stolen Kyle Hendricks prime. What an insanely good value.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The apple mustard sounds disgusting but otherwise I would probably eat the hell out of it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Apple cinnamon pork chops are actually incredible but there's no way you can add mustard into that equation and say "Yup, perfect."

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He's still getting his full contract according to everything on twitter, soooo not that surprising he doesn't want to try and come back and for sure suck for one more year and then retire. And even if twitter isn't correct... he's made $170m being a career 11 bWAR player. Thief.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The thief comment was sarcasm. And twitter is exploding with "he's still getting paid everything"

It seems they restructured his deal to pay off the deferments in 3 years rather than 15 years. Maybe they were pushing him to retire? Him coming back was a lost cause for one more year anyways.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Would love to pull up some posts on Arrieta circa Aug/Sep 2015 and compare them to these :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Surprise, Jake Arrieta was always an rear end in a top hat. Him being good at pitching made nobody care.

Also my comment wasn't meant that you can't change your opinion on someone. I was just pointing out it would be funny to see the posts next to each other. Arrieta was an enormous part of those 15/16 teams and he was very, very good.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
And drat was Jake on the sticky stuff? His ERA is 10+ and OPS against 1.131 since the ban that's SO BAD.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

lol I saw some meltdowns about this on Twitter, and as usual, the WORST CALL EVER WHY EVEN HAVE REPLAY?? is a very close play, and looks to me like they got it right

https://twitter.com/BlakeHarrisTBLA/status/1425891270598164484

pause the clip when the ball hit the glove. foot is still on the bag, imo

Yea this is 1000% an out and not even close to a bad call due to replay.

Sydin posted:

I vote no not because I like Arrieta, but because I think it's funny you're still salty about it six years later and running, and look forward to your inevitable yearly posts with graphs and stats about how Kershaw and Grenkie deserved it more. :v:

Greinke was robbed.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Yet still above .500 because Cardinals

6.5 back of the WC and jack is BACK tonight.... :devil:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johnny Bravo posted:

It'll never not be funny to me that the guy taking the mound for the New York Yankees in a cool and memorable game like that was Andrew Heaney.

Perry Minasian deserves an extension just for that gift to all of us

Lance Lynn on the other hand was basically the perfect kind of guy for that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I see they have three starters on the 10-day IL, I'm assuming they just need a warm body for 1-2 starts and will then DFA him? :lol:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Literally an 8.35 ERA with a 1.038 OPS against in his last 55 innings. Hitters turn into Vlad Jr. against him.

Vlad Jr: 314/409/611
All hitters last 55 innings against Arrieta: 351/419/619

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Michael Schur rules and I'm pumped for it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That's just asking for vandalism.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Also... are they... giving themselves a plaque? That's amazing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
WELP something is broken on bbref right now NEVERMIND

All of the player value stats for hitters is non existent for this season.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 17, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

It says Pedro Strop is our current 10th best player in WAR and honestly I believe it

I was looking at the Brewers and every single top 12 player was a pitcher, and at first, I believed it, because that staff is incredible this year. But then I looked at Wong's season and there was no way it was correct haha. Every teams top 12 right now are all pitchers haha.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
All that complaining and Stanton gets a pinch hit RBI single and the Yankees win Game 1.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Arrieta immediately gave up 3 earned in the first inning of the Padres/Rockies game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Arrieta's day is done: 3.1IP, 5 ER on 7 hits and 1 walk. His ERA went up from 6.88 to 7.13. Great pick up Padres.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/Jared_Tims/status/1429851432262328327

This is a cool stat. Fletcher plays every day and averages a single swing and miss every other game

The follow-up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jared_Tims/status/1429853387458158605

I have Javy at like 530+ swings and misses... am I wrong here? He has a ~35% swing and miss rate.

Fletcher has an insane ~6% swing and miss rate for his career.

Tony Gwynn had a 5% swing and miss rate for his career since they tracked it (1988). His lowest being 1993 where he saw 1,718 pitches and swung and missed on 73 of them.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 24, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
John Gant still sucks but he had a 1 K:BB with the Cardinals and now he has a 5.67 K:BB with the Twins. He just magically learned how to strike people out and not walk them by switching teams.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants have the best record in baseball, and the smallest lead of any division leader. If they were in another division they could rest some guys. But nope, the Dodgers have lost like twice this month, so every game is must-win :argh:

The Brewers are only 4.5 back.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Would love to see that stat too Peter.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Pirates have turned Genesis Cabrera into a negative value reliever with 2 appearances and 1 IP.

Cabrera without his last two appearances against the Pirates (which came within 5 days of each other): 55.2 IP - 2.91 ERA, 1.167 WHIP, 5.82 H9

Now add in those two appearances against the Pirates the last 5 days: 56.2 IP - 4.29 ERA, 1.341 WHIP, 7.3 H9

Incredible.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bewbies posted:

Anyway elite two way catchers aren't properly valued by WAR and Salvy should be in the MVP race, I'll take my answer off the air

bewbies posted:

this and I think matheny does a much better job of managing his workload. Yost would run the beefy lad into the dirt by August and he wouldn't manage to hit his weight the last couple months of the season. matheny is giving him much more regular days off and DH days and I think it definitely shows

Yadi was an elite two way catcher for like 3 years and took MVP-21, MVP-4, and MVP-3. To get into the true MVP discussion the other part of the two way needs to be absolutely insane... see: Posey.

Also, Matheny giving him days more days off and DH'ing isn't helping that WAR value. Yadi is a stubborn rear end in a top hat and hates days off. Perez is extremely good though and is mashing dongs this year.

Funny how you say Matheny makes him takes days off but was afraid to tell Yadi to take a day off. Also funny how Matheny (a great defensive catcher in his own right) gets to manage two back to back elite defensive catchers.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

When I think "most hittable pitch ever" I immediately think of Beltran staring at a curveball down the middle for strike 3, ending the Mets' season.

I was legit going to post that gif but decided against it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
:lol: the first comment

"This is the moment Beltran decided he needed a system to steal signs."

He hit 296/387/667 and only had 0.04 WPA that series.