Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Intruder posted:

It also happened with the Astros and Brady Aiken in what was the first thing that made people mad at them. They had agreements in place with Aiken below slot and two late picks above slot but found something in his UCL so lowered their offer to the minimum required to get a pick the following draft and pulled their offers from the other two. All three had agents by this time so their NCAA eligibility was blown

Teams take guys that need or have had TJS all the time, like the aforementioned Buhler but Aiken was a different story. He had some sort of issue where his elbow (IIRC, his elbow ligaments are abnormally short) made it unlikely that TJS would be successful. The Astros totally hosed over the two over slot guys they had deals with - don’t sign the pick, don’t get the pool money, but Aiken was at least offered a deal. How much of that was the fact they had to in order to get the comp pick at the time we’ll never know.

Allegedly Rocker wasn’t even offered a deal so it’s far more likely it’s something congenital vs an injury. I wonder how much poo poo Cohen is going to get for this though: https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1421966205368377347?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They get the 11th pick next year

Yup, in order to get the guaranteed offer you have to participate in MLB's MRI/Medical sharing program. This was the reaction to the Aiken affair, but most big names opt out like Rocker.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Kirios posted:

Why would they opt out? Seems like a lock to get something and not get screwed another year.

Would anyone here trust MLB owners not to use that information against you?

There isn't a professional, college, or even higher level HS pitcher alive without some form of "damage" in their arm right now at this very second. Even on the MLB side weren't the Orioles famous for a time for using "bad medicals" as an excuse to get out of deals that were either poo poo on in the media, or that Angelos vetoed?

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 2, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Those waiting lists shrink when you start winning 65 games a year. I was like 30,000 back in 2009 and was getting calls a couple years later. They were even offering free tickets and a tour of Wrigley. And prices have skyrocketed since then.

Weren't there reports last year that a lot of those people getting the call their number was up weren't interested? I know they pushed back all the Pay By deadlines for ticket holders, and every piece I found mentioned retention rates sucking- here's a nice rundown that also shows the most expensive avg. tickets in MLB over the last 20 years: https://www.cubsinsider.com/2020/11/19/cubs-extend-season-ticket-renewal-deposit-deadline-by-7-weeks/

I'm kinda surprised people were shocked at the selloff since it's been non-stop talk during games the last couple of weeks- more proof nobody is watching Marquee. Now the Ricketts get to see if they've thrown the Frisbee on the roof charging World Series prices for their tank job.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

We're slowly activating the fail safes, Suicide Squad style.

The Ricketts sare saving KB for the post season.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

This just simply isn't true. Not sure who you expect to come and spend money at all the developments in the area if there isn't a competitive team there to draw fans in. Yeah it's gonna be a rebuild at least through '22 and no we're probably never going to be the Dodgers who spend in order to maintain a competitive major league roster and an elite farm system, but this ain't gonna be another 2010-14 situation

Why not?

Hard to blame COVID for letting the core rot on the vine. 3.5 million or so in FA heading into 2020, under 11 million the year before (mostly on Brad Brach and Daniel Desclaso) for visibly flawed team. Yes, there were bad decisions made, and the entire player development system requires a revamp but what triggers my “There’s always next year” sense is living with Tribune ownership for decades where winning was ok, losing was also ok as long as the turnstiles spun. Owning the rooftops, restaurants, the the hotel make me worry that’s the Ricketts plan on steroids.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Why not? That was the promise of the last rebuild, to build a perpetual contender.

What's stopping the Cubs from being like the Dodgers? Ownership has the money, the market is huge. The Dodgers have to play around the CBT just as much as every other team, and they still have a great farm system as well as probably the best active roster and depth in MLB. What's the secret sauce, other than "they spend a shitload of money outside of payroll?" Because I absolutely want my team to do that.

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1202255944077529088?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bawfuls posted:

pre-CBA salvo from the owners, hopefully the players recognize this for the cash grab it is

https://twitter.com/BRWalkoff/status/1424866446937530383

A 50% shot to make the playoffs for winning 50% of your games at 50% of the Luxury Tax limit!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Just to the taxi squad for the Iowa series, I don't think it points to anything bigger than that.

Oh God, we're going to see Zack Hample running through corn tomorrow aren't we?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wow fans like a guy who is really good at pitching versus not liking the guy wheb he is terrible at pitching and publicly being an rear end in a top hat! What a reversal.

Whoa, wait a minute…..you’re allowed to change your opinions when offered new evidence? Wild poo poo!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Just think of all the free time he’ll have to work on his craft.

In 20 years he’ll have perfected prison hooch.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

please put a team that isn't trying to lose in a big national game

It's no fair excluding 2/3rds of MLB teams from this big event.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

They don't like service time gaming

One idea I saw floated- service time starts when you’re signed. Remove the incentive to keep otherwise productive players out of your lineup. The don’t call it a cap tax turning into a cap is a non-starter, especially when so many teams have spent the last decade investing heavily in “non-baseball” revenue streams but some arbitration concessions could make it doable. It would also be a win for minor leaguers in some sense since if you wanna reap the rewards of young cost controlled talent you’re going to have to double down on developing it and I’m not sure 8 guys sharing air mattresses eating 4 for 4’s in a 1 bedroom apartment is the best way to make that happen.

The responses to the Rosenthal tweet are disturbingly short sighted, but most people have no idea all the things that contribute to the luxury tax- like health insurance costs, it’s not just player salaries. Hopefully the union starts doing some PR work sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

"Why the gently caress didn't you trade me"

I would assume because nobody would give decent value because his shoulder is turbofucked, leading to throws like that.