Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Mets probably didn't sign Rocker because of haggling over less money than they are paying Bobby Bonilla this year. Do you think anyone will care in 4 years if they gave him 6 million instead of 4 and he didn't pan out as a prospect vs him becoming a star for another team and them looking like complete idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So what is Rizzo going to cost to resign?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

nothing that's how it works

I mean what else is literally anyone going to say when asked a softball question like that though

?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It really is hosed that Rocker now can't sign with just any team he wants and has to wait a whole year to start his pro career when he could pitch in the minors right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Actually since you brought up the NBA, the Knicks should be a perennial contender because everyone wants the prestige of playing in NY and in MSG right? Nope, they have a hard time getting huge names in there

That is a one off situation because of how incompetent their ownership is. If they had a replacement level owner they would be a really good franchise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1422385065515003908

YOUR 2021 YANKEES!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think I've ever hated the Angels for an inning of my life.

The Garrett Anderson/Tim Salmon angels OWNED the Yankees and I hated them a lot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees getting some good breaks this month....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

drat I didn't realize that Cody Bellinger fell off a bigger cliff than Gleyber Torres has....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not sure how but the Yankees are winning games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yanks finally putting together a hot streak. They still aren’t going to make a deep run unless Kluber, Severino, and Cole all come back and go lights out the rest of the way, but it’s been nice not watching them gently caress up every game in new and uninspiring ways.

Schedule broke right too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yeah next went against Chicago will be telling. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going into Oakland. It was nice to see them come back after a bad first few innings from Heaney. Before the break/Covid call-up insanity, they would have gone to sleep after the second.

They played well against Chicago even when they were playing way worse than they are now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just gonna say it. Odor was another good Cashman scrapheap pickup.

He has a negative both offensive and defensive WAR on fangraphs despite being better than everyone thought he would be. They should've given Hoy Park a longer run imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL jesus chirst

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Can't complain about 3 out of 4 against Seattle but today was pretty ugly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

it sounds like he might be shouting at the Rockies mascot, Dinger, especially if nobody did anything about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 9, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Barstool is highly cringe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Gleyber to the IL and it looks like only being on there 10-20 days is "good news" with the way the Yankees season is going. Also they set a franchise record for IL stints.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1424853255633440771?s=20

Did they set the record last year?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/PerezEd/status/1424919311177723928

The Yankees don't teach their players correct baserunning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

This was very obviously a blown call but I guess

It wouldn't have been a close play for the ump to blow if he had gotten a correct lead though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'm so hyped. I rewatched Field of Dreams tonight and I wanna see someone hit a ball into corn or something!

It's REALLY corny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1425892211695173634

Look at all that COVID

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL loving heaney

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sucks to suck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1426665705504641025

Boone sucks so much dude....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bauer was literally bragging about doing the D.E.N.N.I.S system on women. He told everyone what he was.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It is so loving stupid that the Yankees are still batting Brett Gardner 2nd.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees starting Andrew Heaney against Boston is cool and fine. They aren't in a playoff race and don't need that game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's bullshit that split doubleheaders are 7 innings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Also, it's pathetic that Stanton can't play 14 innings in the most important series of the season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

I really hate how Cashman handles players resting. Traded for a gold glove outfielder in Gallo and they stick him at DH for the third time since acquiring him. So now we get Wade in LF.

It's just braindead "day after night game! gotta rest him!" even though they clearly have no earthly idea how to keep their players healthy. I bet they sit Judge in the night game tonight too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

You can always tell when the Yankees are playing well cause the GDT is very quiet.

I posted a lot in the GDT this afternoon! Just as much as I do when they suck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

As much as I hate Bob Nutting I am grateful that he does not post

https://twitter.com/stevenacohen2/status/1427980876172955651?s=21

I'm sure this will end well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The funny thing about Bauer is that even in the promotional videos and vlogs he does himself that you would think would try to make him look good, he comes off as a complete piece of poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Interesting the league is proposing a floor, even if their number is laughably low. I would not expect the league to be open to moving in this direction.

Also this is a pretty absurd mechanism for a "salary floor" where teams who fail to spend up to the floor simply get money from other teams who spent more to make up the gap.

The more I think about it the more I guess this makes sense in a perverse way. Owners take credit for "first proposing" a salary floor, but they do it with a floor that is way too low and a mechanism that doesn't actually incentivize spending at all.

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1428100872236589056

The union is NEVER going to agree to that in a million years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

McMagic we made it baby

made what?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yanks in the first wild card spot, a game ahead of the Red Sox, and 5 behind Tampa and half the Yankee fans I know pretending they weren't screaming at me that I was an idiot for not thinking we should trade Judge 3 weeks ago.

I never said you were an idiot for that. I don't think I called you an idiot at all actually. (I still think they are going to trade Judge at SOME point)

RCarr posted:

The Yankees could win out and mcmagic would tell us how they hosed up

All i've been saying the last few weeks is how much better they are playing lol

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 19, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Do you think Cashman made the right moves this trade deadline?

Mixed bag. Rizzo has been awesome when he's played and Gallo has been OK and just putting 2 lefty bats in the lineup has had an even bigger impact than I thought it would but it's not like they are all of a sudden a good offensive team. I probably underrated how good both of them are defensively too. They still aren't really blowing anyone out. I thought the pitching moves they made, dumping Cessa for nothing and trading for Heaney were both awful but they have made up for that by getting a whole lot of production from guys they had previously like Gil, Abreu and Cortes. I think one of the more underrated things that has helped them play better is finally putting Stanton in the outfield which I have been carping for for years.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 19, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Luke Voit talked poo poo and is backing it up. Respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1430222101408014338

lol