Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I want a medalist table based on % of people that come home with a medal that would show how happy the athletes of the country are. Each member of a team that wins a medal counts while an individual that wins 10 medals only counts as 1. Or a total medal table that counts the number of physical medals received for team sports.

Like a country that sends 100 people, but one person wins 10 golds and no one else does anything is 1% happy since 99 people go home sad and empty handed even though that one person is on top of the world.

On the other hand, if another country sends 100 people, but the only thing they win is a big team sport like basketball, then 12% of the athletes won something and they actually have possession of 12 medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking at the list of swimming events over time, I think the 200m races in the non-freestyle strokes could be eliminated fairly cleanly. Keep the 100m for each stroke, and keep the various distances of the freestyle. That would get rid of three events.

Then you don’t need both 4x100 and 4x200 freestyle medley, so that gets rid of another. And you don’t need 200 and 400 individual medleys, so that’s one more.

Then get rid of the women’s too and you’ve trimmed off ten events total.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

PostNouveau posted:

I learned recently that some equestrian events (jumping events even!) are done with just random horses. Like the host of the event provides the horses and the competitors just use whatever they randomly draw.

Pretty goddamn nuts considering how dangerous it can be.

For the show jumping World Cup, the riders do a round after they switch horses with each other (or they used to; not sure if they still do) in addition to riding their own.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:patriot:

I've changed my mind we need to add more swimming races. Has anyone ever tried 150 meters? I bet that would be an interesting race

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Sports simply shouldn't be removed from the olympics. In fact, they should have a race for every multiple of 50 from 50 to 10,000 for every stroke style.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
All sports should be Olympic sports

Singles foosball, doubles, mixed doubles
Same for Spikeball
Minigolf
Pickleball
Racquetball
Squash
Yo-yo
Hackey sack
Ultimate frisbee
Billiards
Snooker
Darts
Shuffleboard
Table shuffleboard
Bowling
Feather bowling
Fowling
Bocce ball

MEDALS FOR EVERYTHING*

(except motor sports and e-sports)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Aggro posted:

Same for Spikeball
Minigolf
Pickleball
Racquetball
Squash
Yo-yo
Hackey sack
Ultimate frisbee
Billiards
Snooker
Darts
Shuffleboard
Table shuffleboard
Bowling
Feather bowling
Fowling
Bocce ball

MEDALS FOR EVERYTHING*

Yes! :bisonyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

Same for Spikeball
Minigolf
Pickleball
Racquetball
Squash
Yo-yo
Hackey sack
Ultimate frisbee
Billiards
Snooker
Darts
Shuffleboard
Table shuffleboard
Bowling
Feather bowling
Fowling
Bocce ball

MEDALS FOR EVERYTHING*

No jai alai?!?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Put in kabaddi

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Zoran posted:

Put in kabaddi
:hai:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

they should bring back the art competitions, it would be a ton of fun and also cool to see art from across the world tbh

Have you ever watched eurovision?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Being from Australia, I get so sick of our dumb poo poo national pride at how many gold medals we get compared to our population size. Like 80% of them are for some bullshit "swim two nautical miles backwards while wearing a clown suit."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The guy who organises the barkley marathon also has an indeterminate length race. Competitors run a lap of about 4 and change miles every hour until the winner runs the last lap alone.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/56720358

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cheese rolling should be an Olympic sport

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Aggro posted:

Same for Spikeball
Minigolf
Pickleball
Racquetball
Squash
Yo-yo
Hackey sack
Ultimate frisbee
Billiards
Snooker
Darts
Shuffleboard
Table shuffleboard
Bowling
Feather bowling
Fowling
Bocce ball

MEDALS FOR EVERYTHING*

Duckpin bowling, gives the shotput people another chance at a medal.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

PostNouveau posted:

No jai alai?!?

Of course, how could I have been so foolish

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Archery is a sport, I don't see why darts can't be a sport. And apparently there used to be an event called "dartchery" which was archery with a dartboard target, scored like darts, and WHY THE HELL DID THEY GET RID OF THAT?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
The Olympics are supposed to be about celebrating human performance in the spirit of international goodwill. Get the goddamn horse torture sports out of here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

The guy who organises the barkley marathon also has an indeterminate length race. Competitors run a lap of about 4 and change miles every hour until the winner runs the last lap alone.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/56720358

This is clearly ripped off The Long Walk

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
equestrian sports should also be banned

https://twitter.com/stuartleech/status/1423607420320993281?s=20

horse got revenge:

https://twitter.com/Jason_Keen/status/1423599013308272644?s=20

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It is too late for horse swimming?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

It is too late for horse swimming?

Already a long a storied history of horse diving

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Olympics actually has 3 fewer events than Worlds, which includes the 50 breast, back, and free. They should be added to the Olympics so that American swimmers will start training for them.

Also, there should be 4x50 free relays and 4x50 medley relays. Ask any swimmer, those events are a blast.

Also, add mixed variations for all relays. Then swimming will finally take up the entire Olympics and I won’t have to be bothered by other sports.

For real, though, more sports should be added. The opening and closing ceremonies can be held in the host city, but then the athletes should be shipped off around the world as needed to compete. The only downside is fewer Olympians boning in the village and creating the next generation of dominant athletes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheMadMilkman posted:

The only downside is fewer Olympians boning in the village and creating the next generation of dominant athletes.

Just do like GB and marry off your most successful Olympians to each other :britain:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

crepeface posted:

Being from Australia, I get so sick of our dumb poo poo national pride at how many gold medals we get compared to our population size. Like 80% of them are for some bullshit "swim two nautical miles backwards while wearing a clown suit."

Add actual clown events to the gymnastics

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:patriot:

I've changed my mind we need to add more swimming races. Has anyone ever tried 150 meters? I bet that would be an interesting race
Every country but US and Aus suck cause you're still getting beaten by a country that hasn't existed for thirty one years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Almost all countries are worse than Michael Phelps. Because Swimming is broken.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was curious about the number of medal events at the Summer Olympics over time -- not that I'm critical of the latest additions, which I like -- so I took 15 minutes to look up

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/08/03/how-the-olympics-became-bigger-and-more-diverse

seconding what people are saying here about getting rid of the horse torture events

Edit: Some of that increase probably comes from adding women's events for men's events which had already existed, like the women's triple jump in 1996. Kind of surprising that it came that late. It'd be interesting to see the proportion in a graph similar to this one.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 13, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What is an “invasion game”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Rugby, handball, water polo?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Cancelled after the 1936 Olympics.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

"An invasion game is any game a team has to attack another teams area and to score a point. For example, Football is an invasion game as one team has to maintain the position of the ball, take the ball into the other teams half and then try and score a goal in the opponents net (invade another teams area)." https://www.leadershipandsport.com/types-of-sports/

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackbird
Jul 4, 2003

He is screwing up my Karma! AHHHHHH!!!

Youth Decay posted:

Unironically want polo back, the horsey kind. Don't care if it's just for rich assholes. Hockey + 1000lb animals at top speed + an absurdly large field to account for those 1000lb galloping animals = fun as hell to watch.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen. Polo is the only sport I can think of that is mostly funded by amateur players hiring absurdly skilled professionals to field a team. This dynamic means that the best players are at the beck and call of a bunch of rich guys, who can't really play the game all that well, at least in comparison to the professionals. The pros must travel to where the polo is, and play (earn) while they can, which is the summer months in the northern hemisphere.

The Argentine Open, which is, arguably, the only polo tournament that matters is played in November/December (springtime).

La Dolfina has managed to field a 40 goal team for the open for most of the last decade, but I'm pretty sure any country other than Argentina would be hard pressed to do that, no matter what time of year it is.

If they ever did manage to get it back as an Olympic sport, it would be a guaranteed gold for Argentina, which is kinda cool.