Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry pal, I'm you're right hand man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is one moment where Ethan is shown from the front in third person (he's just recalling something that happened earlier in the same spot is all) and if you sprint up to uh yourself you can get a quick look at his face, but it's not intended. I actually legit think you should not look up what he looks like even if you're curious, Ethan being faceless is a huge part of his character's core theme. The whole thing about Ethan just being a pair of hands that take damage was actually for-real Capcom's design philosophy when deciding what input he should be allowed have on the player's actions, I'm so psyched to talk about it lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 5, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Being a little skeptical of the way Ethan is coming on is one thing but "people are trying to kill me!" from a guy who might be one of the missing persons reported should have got Officer Deputy calling for backup just in case. And why the hell would he give Ethan a knife if he thinks Ethan is the reason everyone went missing before meeting him in an enclosed space?? Does he think he's an Old West gunslinger who'll be able to shoot Ethan down before Ethan can close any distance for a good stabbing?

Officer Deputy clearly never watched Surviving Edged Weapons at the police academy. PICTURED: Ethan Winters adopting his block stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcSeTaW0shU&t=1469s
(timestamp @ 24:30)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://i.imgur.com/bOegMp2.mp4

I'M COMIN' FOR YOU, JACK BAKER!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

some plague rats posted:

Honestly a louisiana cop deciding to just toss weapons around instead of doing anything useful is the most realistic part of the game

I've changed my theory. He didn't give Ethan the gun because he only had the one on him, and that's very selfish of Ethan to ask a man for his only currently possessed firearm. He doesn't get the local culture at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

some plague rats posted:

Incidentally, it's a fools errand to try and figure out RE continuity, but it's real weird that this one cop came to the creepy swamp mansion alone to investigate all these missing people when you consider that horrible virus monsters are a known quantity and regularly destroy entire cities? Personally I'd be calling in the BSAA every time someone dropped their keys

i regret to inform you that the north american police institution have not learned anything since 1998 but you may already be aware of that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah sadly if you run in front of Pete and ignore his artistic framing there is a big dumb non-diagetic invisible wall keeping Clancy from following Andre. I think there's a Boundary Break video about it and he just blinks on out of existence when he's out of sight. Which honestly would have been a better fate for him!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

Based on what we know from later games and material, Leon would probably have been blackbagged if he spoke about it, RE6 shows you what happened when the President tried to go public.

What, they had him befriend Leon S Kennedy?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly though, this isn't the first time a Kennedy's ill-invented reputation has gotten the president killed so you'd think they'd have have seen it coming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you know this game originally had multiple uses for the codex, by the way? I wasn't gonna mention it until later but I accidentally hinted at it when Zoe was stapling it on so I guess I'll just show my hand. Modding the RE engine is actually quite easy (there are many mods for RE2/3Make that do exactly what you think they do, yes.) so I've plumbed the game files in my spare time and found a loading screen from the console version that went unused. It's in 1080p too!

(full size)

And to boot I managed to find the unmodified version, looks like they just took a real picture of some dev and added a filter to it. It seems Ethan originally had diabetes and I guess that's the ORIGINAL reason why the screen edges get all blurry and chromatic aberration-y. I wonder if the reason you can eat herbs raw is because that's how you managed it and the codex was like an inventory item or something. Neat! I wonder if there are any other cut concepts like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 8, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, now that it's happened, I can post my favorite piece of promotional art!

Look at him! He's having such a good ol time!

edit: And speaking of Officer Deputy's brave last stand, they did actually model the Garage during that very brief shot we got of the front of the Main House which is neat. We really aren't going to see it from the front ever again which is a shame because it looks cool and evil as hell.

In fact the entire front of the house is modeled, including the paved-over door that now leads to the shotgun statue room. That hallway that's blocked with furniture next to the Ox Statue door is that wild rear end underhang next to the main entrance.

The garage door is around the left hand corner, very top left of the second pic. Sadly it would have led Ethan directly to freedom! This means also that Officer Deputy somehow got his squad car through the gate, probably cut the chain. They even included the upper part of the garage Ethan climbs up to as a separate roof! Full gallery with many other angles here.

The main house was modeled in the real rear end world for the collector's edition of the game and you can indeed see that they just paved over the front door with the wall of the shotgun room.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 16, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
zoe came in and stapled the footage on after chaos argate cut it out of another recording

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Just wanted to call attention to how truly well the lighting holds up in this game. It's seriously amazing, better than many games of the most recent console re-generation. Just look at stuff like how Marguerite's fingers are casting a shadow on her hand, or the fire she doesn't seem to give a gently caress about causing the skin on her face to glow. It's really remarkable how this milky white/pitch black gamma range the game has makes it look like it was recorded with a GoPro or something.

I could take infinite screenshots of the horrible ugly textures in this gorgeous video game

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

It’s probably spoilers at this point but I’d like to hear how the Bakers were already crazy before whatever it is happened to them happened.

I mean Lucas did trap a child in the attic until he starved to death. I guess that's not on the rest of the family but you'd think they would have checked the attic once the gunk started to drip as the note mentions

quote:

April, st
Stupid Oliver keeps teasing me. "You're a crazyhead!"

April, th
I lied to Oliver. I told him to come over for my birthday party, then shut him in the attic from outside by remote control.

He kept crying. "Let me out, Lucas!"

April, th
Oliver's stopped his yelling, but sometimes I hear knocking from above.

May, nd
It REALLY stinks!
And some weird juice is dripping from the ceiling.

Anyway, since I had time, I changed the remote control trophy again.

Now it'll be shiny even at night.

edit: And also searched for the child who went missing at Lucas' birthday party but who knows maybe they did and the kid didn't turn up because he was busy starving to death in an attic

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 24, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, in the video I posited a theory that Lucas absconded with the Executioner shadow puzzle to study it! Well, I hadn't considered that he probably did actually legitimately do that, because the Executioner shadow puzzle creates an axe with the shadow! And the obviously homebrew one outside the Testing Area uses an axe to create the shadow! So he likely reverse-engineered it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Home invasion movies as well. It's like we walked onto the set of Straw Dogs minus the bear traps and infidelity.

Well no it's the south so they're all committing adultery with each other but the point still stands

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

azren posted:

Since one of them was brought up in the video, are you guys planning to do the DLCs as well?

Hell yeah, and just like the RE2make let's play, your DLC videos are going to be thoroughly cjacobs-touched.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sadly Ethan won't try it more than twice, saying that there are way too many combinations to try and it'd take too long. If you put in 1408 you get 1146, if you put in 1146 as your second guess it becomes the third one and the game throws you the finger.

Although hey that reminds me... a certain someone else in a recent video wouldn't attempt a combination lock because there were way too many possible combinations... hmmm... methinks Lucas just likes repeating the same tricks over and over and he's kinda running out of ideas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

azren posted:

To tell the truth, with the LOSER lock I'd be tempted to go through all the possible whole words, given the available letters.

I mean what's he gonna do come in there and kill ya?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's honestly my favorite thing about Lucas is that he can't pull off the Saw thing at all. He is not patient in any way, he does not have the patience at all for the Saw deal and it shows. You can't fail the puzzle. It takes 5 minutes and you are guaranteed to die when you begin the first step. I really meant what I said in the video, he feels so realistically psychotic where everything is completely short term and not thought through at all, run through the maze over and over to extract dopamine from it till it's dry. I would very much like to explode him with dynamite

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eventually I'm sure we'll find a way to show what happens when you cure Zoe but I will say right away that Ethan's justification when you do so is about the same, and it still makes sense. He says "we can go get help and come back for Mia, she's no help to anyone right now". It sucks, but he's right. Based on what he knows about the serum anyway, Zoe hasn't really had time to explain what it will do to Mia's poor tortured psyche. The choice itself is so strange and I have a theory about why they offer it to you, but I'll hold onto it for later. It's just so weird and out of left field because... why would we be the one to choose? We're not Ethan, Ethan is Ethan. He has his own thoughts and opinions on the situation. I don't really have any influence over him, why now??

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 31, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean... Ethan must agree with you, canonically, given that he dropped everything to come here to look for Mia on the thinnest evidence after multiple years of total silence. The guy obviously cares a lot about his wife's safety whether she feels like throwing him through walls or not. Which really does just make it so strange that it's a choice because for the man himself it isn't one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ethan brought the D-Series arm to her as instructed back at the very beginning, after all that goddamn nonsense they've been relaying about over the phone. I'd say honestly it just boils down to her trusting him to keep the vials safe.

So uh. That seems to not have been the best idea in the end but hey she isn't on the raft to see it run agribbly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 2, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MY KINGDOM FOR A SAVE POINT

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Generally there are three qualifications:

- Goop of some variety, preferably viscous in nature
--- There is an additional bias toward goop that gets all over your dude like yuck
- Being all wiggly in some capacity, be it tentacles or something else about the object that aimlessly shuffles
- It must be transformative, generally a bastardization of what it appears to be at first glance but not necessary
--- This allows the term to be appropriate for transformed or controlled vehicles or machines, like a ghost bulldozer or something

The molded for example are a perfect archetypal gribbly. They are a bastardization of humans, made out of humans transformed, that go all wiggly and shuffle like goofballs to dodge your attacks, and are SO viscous and get SO all over your dude like yuck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are two wolves inside every game developer, one which desires to name the weapon Bizon, and another which implores you to name it PP

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People have survived resident evil games by being a himbo before look at chris redfield

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly that may be the point of the note from a narrative point of view. The spooky part they intended may be that you read the note before you find the way up to the attic and then must explore around the room, building tension as you walk around the completely silent kids' room wondering what the hell gunky gribbly child nightmare will be in THIS attic after the previous one.

Then you get up there and just kidding Lucas was bullshitting a revenge fantasy in his diary like kids do. Gotcha, player!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many god drat DLCs and they are so much fun. They put out SO much extra content for this wonderful game, hours of it.

And good for Ethan, man. The guy scrambled his way to victory like a rat in a maze. I love that final reminder that yes this game did in fact happen in realtime exactly as we experienced it and Chaos Argate did in fact send Mr Winters away on his Tragedy in one six hour muck-covered evening.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 14, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bewilderment posted:

Bit confused as to why CJacobs is saying that isn't Chris Redfield of previous games when... it is.

They used a facial capture model like they did for all the other actors in the game, which is why he doesn't look like his old self, but that's reverted for the next game.

There's no new continuity, RE7 is a direct sequel to RE6 in the timeline.

I really dunno where the confusion lies man that guy said his name was Redfield and that clearly is that guy's name completely independent of Chris and the rest of the series because he didn't introduce himself properly and LOOKS different which means it is of course actually a transformed Wesker in disguise with the gun being a hint by the developers and in Not A Hero you'll fight the real Chris Redfield and

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There were several really funny goon theories that were sadly genuine regarding Chris there not actually saying 'CHRIS Redfield' and I will be making fun of that for the entirety of Not A Hero, I'm not sorry

edit: i'm Not A Sorry

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 15, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And see, that's the worst thing about this scenario! Since we're Not A Series Vet, there are stakes! Redfield may not survive the events of the dlc!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, Redfield, no!! Under NO circumstance are you to punch Lucas into lava!! What did I just say, stop that!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It wasn't made free, it always was intended to be free.

Not A Hero was intended to be available on release or shortly after, so shortly after that it had this preview splash at the end of the game before it even gave you your ranking so you had to see it. Which was then quickly rectified to be more of a 'coming when we finish it!' thing as they went back for a polish pass. It ended up being nearly a year, and Not A Hero came out at the same time as End of Zoe, both with the release of the Gold Edition repackage since they were the final DLCs, and are included instead of being bought separate. Inbetween this there were a couple other DLC releases like the Banned Footage tapes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 23, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

azren posted:

Given the power of Chris Redfield's Punch, and something or other you guys said in part 10, I made this.

azren posted:

Given the power of Chris Redfield's Punch, and something or other you guys said in part 10, I made this.

azren posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I JUST PLAYED NOT A HERO FOR MYSELF AND I FOUND OUT YOU CAN PARRY THE SKINNY MOLDED AS CHRIS

https://i.imgur.com/sWbFihb.mp4

GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE LOSER

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://i.imgur.com/pLkPl8t.mp4
(turn on sound for more oomph!!)

I have been having so much fun grabbing footage for the DLC videos you have no idea

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Let's turn some gators into gumbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!