Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

White Coke posted:

Their willingness to course correct without rebooting the entire franchise is rather impressive.
I think it's a direct result of everything Capcom made from after RE5 up to RE7 being a huge mixed bag, leaning towards being bad. Bionic Commando '09, RE6 and DmC were the big letdowns that made Capcom stop and do some hard reflection on themselves, instead of what some companies do and double-down on bad ideas or get hyper-defensive of bad ideas. And while it took the fighting game division a while to catch up to the rest of the company, Capcom as a whole seems to have mostly learned from their mistakes in the early/mid-2010s. And probably the biggest achievement from that self-reflection is the RE Engine being a massive success for the company, giving Capcom a new in-house dev tool to replace their now retired MT Framework engine and be an alternative option to Unreal 4. Seriously, I'm hoping RE Engine can be made available to other companies (or for Capcom to use it on other franchises), because the things it can do are simply amazing.

theenglishman posted:

That’s part of what I love about the Resident Evil franchise: no matter how many changes in genre or tone or perspective, everything is canon. Even the stuff that contradicts itself.
I could have sworn the old S.D. Perry novels are non-canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Based on what we know from later games and material, Leon would probably have been blackbagged if he spoke about it, RE6 shows you what happened when the President tried to go public.
Yup, the only reason Leon even got a job with the DSO was because Adam Benford (the aforementioned President, then a government agent in 1998) pulled some strings to recruit Leon. Otherwise, it's highly likely that Leon would have been in a similar situation that Sherry was until RE6, under 24/7 government protection/surveillance for the rest of his life.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm trying to wrap my head around Mia's gun. It's like it wanted to be a shotgun, but then swerved at the last minute and became a weird drum-fed compact machine gun.

Of course, the bigger issue is the long gap between save points. I am starting to understand why the ship area gets frequently called the low point of the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yes, liquidy. Heavy floods from hurricanes/tropcial storms causing fires do exist.

Take this example from the recent Hurricane Ida, in New York City:
https://twitter.com/AWxNYC/status/1433265054472933376

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, all I know about Not A Hero is that it apparently is the reason the base version of RE7 never got this DLC (and the other major DLC). Are you guys going to be bringing that up at any point, or at least go into the broad strokes?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

What do you mean exactly?

Not a Hero is free dlc for anyone who owns a copy of RE7. At least on PS4. The rest are available on PSN.
As I've heard it, Not A Hero was supposed to come out early in RE7's lifespan, like mid 2017. Instead, delays happened and the release was pushed to late 2017, where it was made into the free DLC it is now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, so it sounds like the "smoothing out the edges" part took longer than expected, so Capcom went "gently caress it, let's use these DLCs to hype up the Gold Edition!" and went from there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am down for Joe Baker's Zombie Punching Simulator.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

stryth posted:

Also, someone get our boy a pair of brass knuckles, clearly swamp man needs a better, more thorough beat down.
You'd think that with all the random scrap metal Joe's been finding in the swamp that he'd be able to make a pair of his own, but apparently Capcom had to reign in the insanity somewhere, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I cannot believe that Joe Baker's final power-up is the Powerglove.