Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This gun sort of caught my off guard. I thought it looked interesting and it had a lot of interesting quirks, while seemingly being well-made and reliable. Also, it looks like the Robocop gun and I wanted it the second I saw it.

Itís basically a monster-CZ 75 that fires a proprietary, high-velocity 7.5mm round. Basically a necked-down 10MM. The projectile weighs 101 grain and travels at 2000fps for a staggering 850 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. More interestingly, it maintains that energy over a long distance, giving it longer legs than basically any other pistol

Anyways, onto the unboxing!

Box

Open the box!

Get rid of that blue poo poo.

Hereís everything in the box, including the lovely little lock they give you. Youíll notice it has an extra barrel and magazines. These are for the 9mm conversion! You can swap out the recoil spring, barrel, and mags and practice while shooting 9mm. Pretty cool! FK Also sells a version that comes with a 10MM barrel. You can shoot 10MM or .40SW from it, and it uses the same mag and recoil spring.

It also comes with another set of sights, and has an optics plate installed so you can easily add a red dot. I prefer the way it looks with irons though.

Size comparison between it and itís chunky but not AS chunky cousin, a CZ Shadow-2

The Shadow 2 is a big pistol, and the FK BRNO is still noticeably bigger.

Comedy S&W J-Frame Size comparison.

Partially field-stripped. Note the heavy metal slide-weight under the barrel. Itís to reduce muzzle flip

More field stripped

The round it fires (Center 2)

9mm, 7.5FK HP, 7.5k Flat Top. 50 BMG for scale.

It has a few different round types available, two are shown above. One is a traditional hollowpoint, the other is an oddly shapeed solid copper round designed for penetration.

Shooting it is a lot of fun. The recoil is significant, but not painful or out of control. People can def. tell youíre not shooting something in an ordinary caliber, it's much louder and makes big cool fireballs. At one point the RO came over because he found one of my spent casings and couldnít figure out what the hell it is. He thought it was cool and like the robocop gun too.

Gun was very reliable. Trigger is 6.5lbs or so, SAO and similar to any other CZ-75 clone.

It was also extremely accurate. I was regularly hitting groups even better than the shadow at 20 yards (length of pistol lane).

Apparently they company that makes it is trying to get a brace past the ATF...

... c'mon...that's a stock. I hope it makes it anyways.

Anyways thatís the thread! I know a few other people in TFR bought one so donít be shy about sharing your experiences with it.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

That's pretty loving awesome, I'll tell you what.

Is the giant part above the rail stylistic, or necessarily bulky for recoil spring?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

That's pretty loving awesome, I'll tell you what.

Is the giant part above the rail stylistic, or necessarily bulky for recoil spring?

Necessary to fit the counter-weight on the recoil spring. And a lot of the reason it looks so cool imo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Trillhouse posted:

Necessary to fit the counter-weight on the recoil spring. And a lot of the reason it looks so cool imo.

:hmmyes:

I'm not even joking. It needs a rail bayonet. For home defense. From...vampires? Let's say vampires.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm not even joking. It needs a rail bayonet. For home defense. From...vampires? Let's say vampires.

The light I put on it is 1000 lumen so it should loving evaporate any vampire.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

That is awesome.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

This thing has been on my want list practically forever. Post photos of big fireballs so I can live vicariously through you.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Now get the 10mm barrel too for maximum nonsense!

Amazing pickup.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Too clean for a nomad or street kid. OP must be a corpo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Wanna know how it shoots something fierce.

The biggest fuckoff handgun caliber I've shot is +P+ 44 mag out of a six inch "Dirty Harry" S&W. Want to know if this rate above or below that.

(Still think the most difficult gun to shoot well is a Kel Tec P3AT or LCP. Took hundreds and hundreds of rounds before it became anything approaching decent. I cringe to think of how many people shoot a mag through one of those badly, then stick it in a purse.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Goddamn thatís an interesting gun.

Seconding the desire to hear how it shoots.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

BaconCopter posted:

Now get the 10mm barrel too for maximum nonsense!

Amazing pickup.

I'm going to as soon as they're available. I actually emailed the company before I bought the gun because I wanted to make sure that it would be available. They said its coming down the road.

I'm kicking myself for not taking video of it shooting. Oh well, next time.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the flat-top bullets make neat little holes in a paper target, they look like someone took a hole-punch to the target, no tearing at all. Kinda cool.

I'm also half-jokingly considering running mags with alternating bullet types, using the hollowpoint and solid-copper rounds. That way, I have allll my bases covered, from human to bear. Or from human to 10 humans standing in a row.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 3, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Canít help but read the box as internet speak for gently caress BRUNO

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

I'm going to as soon as they're available. I actually emailed the company before I bought the gun because I wanted to make sure that it would be available. They said its coming down the road.

:bustem:

Hell yeah! Definitely keep us updated on how the beast keeps running and take some durn vidyas would ya!

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 6, 2021

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

That's hot

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

The biggest fuckoff handgun caliber I've shot is +P+ 44 mag out of a six inch "Dirty Harry" S&W. Want to know if this rate above or below that.

I've never shot a .44 mag, let alone a +P one, but I can def. say the BRNO has less recoil.

I'd say around a .45? maybe a little bit more. Not uncontrollable at all, even shooting quickly.

The J-Frame I posted has more recoil and is actually painful to shoot and I hate it. It's hard to shoot accurately because it has like a 12lb double-action trigger. The BRNO is much more fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Trillhouse posted:

I've never shot a .44 mag, let alone a +P one, but I can def. say the BRNO has less recoil.

I'd say around a .45? maybe a little bit more. Not uncontrollable at all, even shooting quickly.

The J-Frame I posted has more recoil and is actually painful to shoot and I hate it. It's hard to shoot accurately because it has like a 12lb double-action trigger. The BRNO is much more fun.

Snubbies are a motherfucker from trigger pull, air weight is a motherfucker multiplier.

I've always found finger grooves are a big help with revolvers, speaking as someone with skinny but long fingered hands. Keeps them from sliding.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nice. I've been going back and forth with myself about whether I want to drop the cash on one of these, since I don't shoot much these days. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through you...

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

This is on my wishlist in 10mm because I want to take up handgun hunting. That combo would be a fantastic dual threat.

Any chance of a couple pictures of the sights and sight picture?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

with the 10mm that would be about 80% of the way to being the pistol from SiN

I really REALLY want one (but it would probably cost a stupid amount of money in Canada)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is on my wishlist in 10mm because I want to take up handgun hunting. That combo would be a fantastic dual threat.

Any chance of a couple pictures of the sights and sight picture?

Sights are difficult to take pictures of, but I did my best:

I like the sights on the gun (obviously). I'll probably change my mind.

I found a picture of how the recoil weight works too:

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

That's perfect. I'm intrigued by the peep rear but would probably just end up with a dot on it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's perfect. I'm intrigued by the peep rear but would probably just end up with a dot on it anyways.

the dot is probably the way to go. I'm going to take the 2.5 MOA Leupold DPP (seen above on the Shadow) and put it on the BRNO, and then put a 6 MOA DPP on the Shadow. I got the small dot before I found out how much better a big dot is for USPSA. The small dot is perfect for the BRNO since long-range shots are its whole thing.