Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I regret that I only have one succ to give for this thread.

Species unknown Haworthia cooperi

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

I regret that I only have one succ to give for this thread.

Species unknown

Haworthia cooperi iirc

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ I agree, looks like H. cooperi variant.

Hello, Haworthiopsis fasciata buddy. I am guessing the other one is a Kalanchoe of some kind?

Succ facts: Haworthiopsis and Haworthia genera are closely related, both having chonky root systems that can break small ceramic pots. One thing that distinguishes Haworthias is that they all have leaf "windows," which "seem to represent a trade-off between photosynthesis and overheating." (source)

Here's my Haworthiopsis koelmaniorum. Note the chonky roots.

And here is a nice Haworthia 'Chocolate' with its top and side windows.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

CommieGIR posted:

Haworthia cooperi iirc

Beaten but I believe you have succed correctly

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Haworthia cooperi iirc

Thanks for the heads up! It bloomed a few months ago with so really interesting purple flowers. I only had that center section in December, the rest came in the spring.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I'm angry this thread exists and am going to wear out my Report button every day until it's closed

Liberally water succ and let die

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I once made a home for my succ out of legos and an off-brand non-lego mug, inspired by those overgrown mechanical dudes from Laputa.

also OP i love your third succ, the spiky brain-whorl guy. amazing!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I once made a home for my succ out of legos and an off-brand non-lego mug, inspired by those overgrown mechanical dudes from Laputa.

also OP i love your third succ, the spiky brain-whorl guy. amazing!

That rules. The cact in OP is Stenocactus lamellosus (formerly known as Echinofossulocactus lamellosus). They are not rare - you too can have one for ~$10 from Etsy or maybe even your local nursery.

Speaking of brain-whorl guys, here's my Echeveria "Sea Dragon" mutant:

My partner made some nice purple dye from its old leaves.

pokie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I have a jade plant that started as a small cutting I got in high school. After a few rough years, the growth exploded despite frequent pruning and my house is now a humid jungle.

Send help.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went to my favorite succ nursery yesterday.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

all these photos succ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he;lp

recent pics

flowering this spring

i bought this at home depot in 2009 and it's maybe two feet tall from the concrete now. the pot is starting to break apart, but how do i re-pot this thing? how big should i expect it to get? you can see i chopped the main stalk about two years ago after it split from too much rain. it was the best-faring of my plants in several ice storms which i've found surprising

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

i say swears online posted:

he;lp

recent pics

flowering this spring

i bought this at home depot in 2009 and it's maybe two feet tall from the concrete now. the pot is starting to break apart, but how do i re-pot this thing? how big should i expect it to get? you can see i chopped the main stalk about two years ago after it split from too much rain. it was the best-faring of my plants in several ice storms which i've found surprising

It looks like this to me:
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/14697/Parodia_leninghausii
Site says that Parodia leninghausii gets to ~1 yard/meter tall.

Under the cultivation section it says "Repotting should be done every other year or every three years, annual potting is not necessary. Do not be tempted to over pot as this will cause the unused compost to go stagnant and you may loose the plant." I think the pot size is ok. May be slightly larger would be good? Just make sure to get soil that has a large percentage (33-50%) of minerals (not sand) like perlite or pumice or chicken grit. I would use an old towel and thick gloves for moving it out. Take a metal stick and stir the soil to loosen the plant. If it's not particularly heavy you can lay a towel on the porch, tip the pot on its side and try to work it out by pushing on thee bottom of the pot. If you are not planning to reuse the plastic pot you can just cut it too. Fill the new pot about 2/3 of the way with a bit of a hole in the middle, lower the cactus down. If you have a helper have one person keep it upright while the other one pours the soil mix in.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Found a good pic of using a towel for you.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/419243242970939412/874794968672256000/goldenbarrelcactus.png

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

some cacti are impressively cold tolerant, eg the eastern prickly pear (an opuntia) ranges up into ontario canada

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the pics don't show it but the container is splitting along the side and bottom, it's time to re-pot. i think i did it last four years ago

Herstory Begins Now posted:

some cacti are impressively cold tolerant, eg the eastern prickly pear (an opuntia) ranges up into ontario canada

a lot of the prickly pear in texas died in february, our last cold blast was the longest time below freezing on the books. my dude lived his early life in the same pot with a red cactus that died in an ice storm in 2013 but he keeps plugging along. i should just put him in the ground.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
oh yeah to be clear, i only mean that they can be, not that most will be cold resistant, like at all. I saw videos of dead cactus gardens after the texas freeze and :smith:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's more succs that can take the cold than people think. They're not that easy to find often but there's a nursery in Colorado that specializes in them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
y'all are real loving cute

(the little leggy weirdo in the upper right was purchased for its flowers and its kids, I'm not that bad at cacti, I swear)

(I lied, I am that bad at cacti, those etiolated-rear end opuntias are super embarassing. I let them go out of curiosity but I really, seriously, have to cut those lobes off and try propagating them. The bottom plants aren't growing any "normal" lobes like I hoped, so the tall pieces have to go to reset them)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mine mostly live inside but I did put some in the ground this year (options are limited in zone 6).

Some Cylindropuntia went in this spring:

Two different forms of leptocaulis

kleiniae

chonky imbricata var. aborescens

Along with a couple of Echinocereus:

fendleri

triglochidiatus var. mojavensis f. inermis

I found this Opuntia humifusa at a local nursery in June:

And then earlier this week got a few more in:

Maihueniopsis darwinii cv. Big Orange—the cladode on the left is overplanted because it fell off and it needs to root itself.

Same for this Opuntia fragilis var. denuda.

Aloinopsis luckhoffii

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes, we're. That's a giant part of the appeal of succ keeping - the cute awkward plants.

Look at this cutie pie. It wants to be a tree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I picked them up at 1/2 price in like April or May and they already had those long pads, but they were small and thin, only a couple of inches. I figured they’d either fatten/round up or more pads would pop up around them.

I put ‘em outside but the pads just kept getting longer and eventually fatter and I just kept wanting to see where it would go. In hindsight I kinda regret that choice because there’s clearly a lot of wasted biomass and growth in those pads.

Wallet posted:

Mine mostly live inside but I did put some in the ground this year (options are limited in zone 6).

Some Cylindropuntia went in this spring:

Two different forms of leptocaulis

kleiniae

chonky imbricata var. aborescens

Along with a couple of Echinocereus:

fendleri

triglochidiatus var. mojavensis f. inermis

I found this Opuntia humifusa at a local nursery in June:

And then earlier this week got a few more in:

Maihueniopsis darwinii cv. Big Orange—the cladode on the left is overplanted because it fell off and it needs to root itself.

Same for this Opuntia fragilis var. denuda.

Aloinopsis luckhoffii

I’m super curious to see how this outdoor succ garden pans out for you in New England

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 13, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m super curious to see how this outdoor succ garden pans out for you in New England

Yeah, me too. The soil is all pretty heavily amended (half of them are in a bed that's raised in stone) and the succs are mostly hardy to 4 or 5 so fingers crossed. Most of them are from that place I linked in Colorado that grows them outdoors which I imagine gives them a much better shot than stuff reared in a California/Florida greenhouse.

pokie posted:

Yes, we're. That's a giant part of the appeal of succ keeping - the cute awkward plants.

Look at this cutie pie. It wants to be a tree.

I put in a decent sized Yucca rostrata cv. Sapphire Skies last year that seems like it's now getting big enough to start getting taller and I can't loving wait. I want a massive faxoniana or an elata but I don't have anywhere to put them :(

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 13, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I put in a decent sized Yucca rostrata cv. Sapphire Skies last year that seems like it's now getting big enough to start getting taller and I can't loving wait. I want a massive faxoniana or an elata but I don't have anywhere to put them :(

Very cool & somewhat ambitious in zone 5, although I guess that's in its range. The pictured Aloidendron dichotomum is taller than me now. It's about 8 feet with the pot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah, me too. The soil is all pretty heavily amended (half of them are in a bed that's raised in stone) and the succs are mostly hardy to 4 or 5 so fingers crossed. Most of them are from that place I linked in Colorado that grows them outdoors which I imagine gives them a much better shot than stuff reared in a California/Florida greenhouse.

yeah, it's not the temp that would worry me so much as the wintertime humidity

if it doesn't work out, you could always pot some succulents and then recess those pots either in the ground or in some sort of attractive rock situation to allow you to pull them out seasonally, or in the event of a bad freeze or winter storm/etc

I've seen it done with grow bags too, which are nice and transpirant. Just dig a hole, pop 'em in, and then maybe rake some gravel over them to complete the look

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Very cool & somewhat ambitious in zone 5, although I guess that's in its range. The pictured Aloidendron dichotomum is taller than me now. It's about 8 feet with the pot.
I'm in 6 so it has some wiggle room. We have pretty good loamy soil which I've amended pretty thoroughly in that bed; the whole lot also has quite a bit of slope and it's at the top of it. The newest stuff (and some older stuff I've moved now) is planted in another bed I built this summer that's elevated a foot and a half off the ground filled with 2 parts loam, 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, 1 part pea gravel so it shouldn't retain too much water.

The biggest risk is mostly at the tail end of winter when we get cycles of snow/melt on top of plants that are still dormant. I didn't have any cacti in last year but I did have a bunch of succulents that all wintered over fine, including a handful of Yucca (that rostrata, a large filamentosa, and a baccata), some Hesperaloe, a few ostensibly marginal Orostachys, and a bunch of the crap that can survive drat near anywhere (Sempervivum, Sedum, Phedimus, Delosperma, Hylotelephium).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 14, 2021

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My hens and chicks have become bee magnets with these stalks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pander posted:

My hens and chicks have become bee magnets with these stalks.

do they die after that like agave? that's cool if they do that multiple times

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The stalks die, yeah. Fortunately they last a while, usually til fall. Happy honeybees and bumblers. Hen and chicks expand, make new stalk next year.

Previous homeowners made some really bad choices in plants around the yard, but lots of hen and chicks was the one good one.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Some of the aforementioned Yuccas and poo poo:

filamentosa cv. Color Guard and friends

rostrata in the back there

baccata

Orostachys malacophylla and my hose and things

Orostachys cv. Crazy Eddie, Hesperaloe parviflora, etc

I doubled the depth of all of it about two months ago (it was lawn) so it's still under planted in the front.

The rosettes are monocarpic but they produce offsets before they flower so they replace themselves. They stretch way the gently caress out when they do it:

(Bonus Agave in the corner is utahensis IIRC.)

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 14, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Very nice succ posting :).

I am cornering the local market on Leuchtenbergia principis. I have 7 of these fuckers - saw them at a random nursery for $5 or something.

Such chonky bois.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have not yet begun to succ

Behold, my evolved form

the azaleas and schefflera obv aren't succulents, they're on the table to escape the biting destruction wrought by Sylvilagus floridanus, which is also what happened to the formerly lovely Gasteria verrucosa in the front left of picture 1 and the fairy washboard that you can kinda see next to the aloe with the big tall flower spike

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I see your h bayeri. It is nice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I must bring out the small guns for this succ fest.

Behold! A cute adromischus.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

I see your h bayeri. It is nice.

springbokvlakensis also looking real good. I ordered one a while back but what arrived was both not one and poorly rooted. Still hasn't plumped up.

pokie posted:

I must bring out the small guns for this succ fest.

Behold! A cute adromischus.

Very accomplished for an adromischus—A++ owl accommodations.

These are my two smallest succs from lying rear end motherfuckers who list things as the wrong size but I still like them:

My special stink succ (Edithcolea) is also pretty small right now:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yall are a bunch of fuckin plant dorks, but god drat those are some cool plants

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My succ:

I don’t know if it’s real. It was gifted to me last Fall and I haven’t watered it since, and it’s still green. Maybe it’s fake. Looks nice though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

My succ:

I don’t know if it’s real. It was gifted to me last Fall and I haven’t watered it since, and it’s still green. Maybe it’s fake. Looks nice though.

rain plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have finished my interstate move and am starting to accumulate growlights for the coming winter.