Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I usually only read D&D but I will make a succ-based exception. Some of my favorites (sorry about the banding, my plant lights do it and my phone won't stop them):

Aloinopsis schooneesii

Adromischus marianiae f. herrei

Dorstenia foetida

Pachycereus marginatus f. cristata

Obregonia denegrii

Myrtillocactus geometrizans cv. Fukurokuryuzinboku

If you like succs come say hi in the cactus dungeon some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

This is a very choice collection. Love me some adro. Never even heard of Dorstenia. What do you use for lights?

They're just some chainable grow lights from Barrina. I built some cabinet things for the plants to keep myself busy this winter and they were reasonably priced and easy enough to hide. Also have some of the GE bulbs above my windows but those don't cause any banding issues.

pokie posted:

Here's my myrtillocactus:

What a nice boy! Most of my stuff is pretty small since it all has to be able to be indoors for at least a substantial portion of the year here.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

some cacti are impressively cold tolerant, eg the eastern prickly pear (an opuntia) ranges up into ontario canada

There's more succs that can take the cold than people think. They're not that easy to find often but there's a nursery in Colorado that specializes in them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

y'all are real loving cute
Mine mostly live inside but I did put some in the ground this year (options are limited in zone 6).

Some Cylindropuntia went in this spring:

Two different forms of leptocaulis

kleiniae

chonky imbricata var. aborescens

Along with a couple of Echinocereus:

fendleri

triglochidiatus var. mojavensis f. inermis

I found this Opuntia humifusa at a local nursery in June:

And then earlier this week got a few more in:

Maihueniopsis darwinii cv. Big Orange—the cladode on the left is overplanted because it fell off and it needs to root itself.

Same for this Opuntia fragilis var. denuda.

Aloinopsis luckhoffii

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m super curious to see how this outdoor succ garden pans out for you in New England

Yeah, me too. The soil is all pretty heavily amended (half of them are in a bed that's raised in stone) and the succs are mostly hardy to 4 or 5 so fingers crossed. Most of them are from that place I linked in Colorado that grows them outdoors which I imagine gives them a much better shot than stuff reared in a California/Florida greenhouse.

pokie posted:

Yes, we're. That's a giant part of the appeal of succ keeping - the cute awkward plants.

Look at this cutie pie. It wants to be a tree.

I put in a decent sized Yucca rostrata cv. Sapphire Skies last year that seems like it's now getting big enough to start getting taller and I can't loving wait. I want a massive faxoniana or an elata but I don't have anywhere to put them :(

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 13, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Very cool & somewhat ambitious in zone 5, although I guess that's in its range. The pictured Aloidendron dichotomum is taller than me now. It's about 8 feet with the pot.
I'm in 6 so it has some wiggle room. We have pretty good loamy soil which I've amended pretty thoroughly in that bed; the whole lot also has quite a bit of slope and it's at the top of it. The newest stuff (and some older stuff I've moved now) is planted in another bed I built this summer that's elevated a foot and a half off the ground filled with 2 parts loam, 2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, 1 part pea gravel so it shouldn't retain too much water.

The biggest risk is mostly at the tail end of winter when we get cycles of snow/melt on top of plants that are still dormant. I didn't have any cacti in last year but I did have a bunch of succulents that all wintered over fine, including a handful of Yucca (that rostrata, a large filamentosa, and a baccata), some Hesperaloe, a few ostensibly marginal Orostachys, and a bunch of the crap that can survive drat near anywhere (Sempervivum, Sedum, Phedimus, Delosperma, Hylotelephium).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 14, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Some of the aforementioned Yuccas and poo poo:

filamentosa cv. Color Guard and friends

rostrata in the back there

baccata

Orostachys malacophylla and my hose and things

Orostachys cv. Crazy Eddie, Hesperaloe parviflora, etc

I doubled the depth of all of it about two months ago (it was lawn) so it's still under planted in the front.

i say swears online posted:

do they die after that like agave? that's cool if they do that multiple times
The rosettes are monocarpic but they produce offsets before they flower so they replace themselves. They stretch way the gently caress out when they do it:

(Bonus Agave in the corner is utahensis IIRC.)

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 14, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

I see your h bayeri. It is nice.

springbokvlakensis also looking real good. I ordered one a while back but what arrived was both not one and poorly rooted. Still hasn't plumped up.

pokie posted:

I must bring out the small guns for this succ fest.

Behold! A cute adromischus.

Very accomplished for an adromischus—A++ owl accommodations.

These are my two smallest succs from lying rear end motherfuckers who list things as the wrong size but I still like them:

My special stink succ (Edithcolea) is also pretty small right now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

I have mixed feelings about Opuntias. They have tiny needles called glochids that have more needles pointing backwards on them, like serrated arrows. Very charming, really.

Even the little tiny Opuntioideae like O fragilis are just pretending to not have them until you touch them and then you find them in your underwear for six weeks.

My buddy Tephrocactus papyracanthus has special friendly flattened spines that are like little streamers to say hello but then each one is also surrounded by hundreds of glochids thirsting for man flesh :(