Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ulvir posted:

idk how long into it you guys are yet, but one of the moments from the first book that’s still pretty present in my memory, is the scene where the narrator introduces Bloch to his parents. that, along with his grandmother lowkey roasting him in the next volume (either that or volume 3) is pretty funny

Volume two is hilarious. It fills one with the pure joy of watching a dumbass teenager constantly scoring own-goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
C.K. Scott Moncrieff wrote in a letter to his friend Vyvyan Holland (weirdly, Oscar Wilde's son), encouraging him to try translating Stendhal: “You can do it straight on to the typewriter without even stopping to masturbate, as in the case of Proust.”

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I still have not finished this, but am half way through and will get it done as my next step in The Year of the Brick (TM)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

I still have not finished this, but am half way through and will get it done as my next step in The Year of the Brick (TM)

I am now 90% done with this! I had thought I didn't give two shits about these upper class French twits (although the writing is lovely) in the first bit of Marcel's boyhood in Combray but then I got into the first bit of Swann in Love, at the Verduins, and holy poo poo it nearly slayed me. It wasn't until I got to see how casually cruel they could be to one another whilst also maintaining dignified airs that I got sucked in. Now I am in the final back to boyhood discussion of place names, anticipation and imagination of what those places might be like (storms at Balbec, Florence) and the dullness of the reality, and I am here for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

I am now 90% done with this! I had thought I didn't give two shits about these upper class French twits (although the writing is lovely) in the first bit of Marcel's boyhood in Combray but then I got into the first bit of Swann in Love, at the Verduins, and holy poo poo it nearly slayed me. It wasn't until I got to see how casually cruel they could be to one another whilst also maintaining dignified airs that I got sucked in. Now I am in the final back to boyhood discussion of place names, anticipation and imagination of what those places might be like (storms at Balbec, Florence) and the dullness of the reality, and I am here for it.

See I have the opposite problem. The first chunk is somehow like a dream of my own childhood, but the minute I hit Paris I'm like, why do I care about these assholes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

See I have the opposite problem. The first chunk is somehow like a dream of my own childhood, but the minute I hit Paris I'm like, why do I care about these assholes

The first bit in Paris I am totally in accord with you, but once the Verduins start scheming to exclude Swann, and you start to get a look at the real Odette, it clicks into place for me; how Swann tortures himself over bullshit (lacking real emotional maturity and self awareness for such an otherwise learned person). And it justifies my previous distaste for everyone in those social circles (especially the really high brow version of the same Verduin attitude you see in the Princess in one scene)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

but a buddy of mine, now a professor emeritus in literature, once told me "life is too short to read Proust" lol (strangely, he's otherwise a huge fan of modernism, and adores Woolf)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

but a buddy of mine, now a professor emeritus in literature, once told me "life is too short to read Proust" lol (strangely, he's otherwise a huge fan of modernism, and adores Woolf)

life is too short to not read proust :pray:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but V woolf owns a whole lot too, I love to the lighthouse

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Done! The close, with the contrast of his memory of walking the Bois with the modern era and it's cars replacing the horse drawn carriages was notably strong I thought. Shame about the upper class idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

As an aide I am really glad I didn't try it in French, it's a real powerhouse of vocabulary