Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm reading the Lydia Davis translation but the comic book version also sounded interesting. It arrived today.

Huh. I thought the narrator vacationed in Balbec, not West Egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is Botticelli's Zipporah:

The first time I read Swann's Way about five years ago, I had never seen this painting, and still hadn't until you posted it just now. Yet Proust's description was evocative enough that this was almost exactly what came to mind when I read the passage back then.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I forgot how terrible the Verdurins were. They're just the absolute worst garbage people.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Maybe part of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon? The whole thing would be out of the question, I'm sure; the whole thing is almost 2,500 pages long.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

ulvir posted:

idk how long into it you guys are yet, but one of the moments from the first book that’s still pretty present in my memory, is the scene where the narrator introduces Bloch to his parents. that, along with his grandmother lowkey roasting him in the next volume (either that or volume 3) is pretty funny

Volume two is hilarious. It fills one with the pure joy of watching a dumbass teenager constantly scoring own-goals.