Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

If I knew that it was about a man struggling to sleep I'd probably have read it a long time ago.

I'm considering reading this in French, but it's been a while since I've read any French. How difficult is the language, generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

I ended up picking up a Portuguese translation (by Mario Quintana, who's a famous Brazilian writer). The translation is really good; it's not fully modern Brazilian Portuguese which makes it a bit less accessible than it could be, but that also helps establish the time in which the novel takes place.

When I started reading it I was visiting Switzerland, where I lived for a while 10 years ago. Simply by walking around the streets I'd get this flurry of random memories, things I haven't thought about for years. And then I'd sit down to read the book and have a similar experience, but with even earlier memories. It's been an intense experience for me.