Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the OP a dipshit?
Yes
No
View Results

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I play games on the OG hardware so no save states but if you're playing a lot of NES games like Ghost'n'Goblins it's really not that big of a deal because they're often extremely direct arcade adaptations that are a million times harder than the originals because you can't buy continues with quarters like the arcade versions.

So games like Ghosts'n'Goblins that would take the average player several continues to get through are suddenly way harder because you just can't use them anymore and have to do the entire game with zero continues. Otherwise the design and level layouts are basically exact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I replayed Zelda II on the NES a few months ago and I'm convinced the reason that game is being "reconsidered" is because of people playing it with save states now because in its original state it's intolerable rear end in a top hat.

The amount of back tracking if you die sucks enormous dingle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Like yea the game is probably better and "not so bad" if you magically remove one of the single biggest flaws it had that has pissed people off for three decades

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

most of those old games are completely unplayable without save states

They're playable, you just have to spend hours having it be unplayable until you're good enough/have memorized enough for it to be playable